Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What's up headphone goons, I'm looking to upgrade my headphones and need a bit of direction.

So at the moment I'm using DT-990 Pro which is an incredible pair of headphones and were my first real "audiophile" experience. Needless to say after mostly relying on sub-$50 and TV speakers for the majority of my life I could no longer go back.
I recently bought the Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1X headset purely as my option for playing online games with friends but it was for dirt cheap (it belonged to a bud) and while they're good, they're not nearly as nice as my DT pair, so I've decided I'm just going to go the standalone mic route and use this as an opportunity to upgrade my primary headphones.

My budget is basically $300-1000, I'm not a bass nut and prefer a more balanced sound, though I wouldn't mind a good bit of rumble if it's clear and not distorted. I've really fallen in love with open back headphones but I'm not sure if this is because they're outright better or just because I haven't had the chance to try a decent pair of closed headphones.

I primarily used my headphones for movies and gaming (mostly offline, I play online only semi-occasionally) I do use them for music occasionally but that has slowed down quite a bit now that I'm not doing radio work anymore so it's not my primary consideration, however, part of the reason I want to upgrade is so that I can get back into more dedicated music listening again.

What would be a good upgrade for me? I've looked at the Sennheiser HD 660 S, but I'm especially intrigued by the Beyerdynamic T1 so any opinions on those would be welcome. I want to go into the high end of things a bit here, I would also appreciate closed back recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Audeze LCD-2 and the Campfire Audio Cascade both sound really interesting, especially the Cascade since I'm reading that they're apparently a very warm sounding set.

I'll definitely swing by my local hi-fi place, these are really interesting recommendations to look out for, thanks a lot guys I was have a hard time really connecting with anything on some of the lists I would see online.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

5-HT posted:

Get yourself a pair of Focal Clears (they're easily found for right close to $900 - $1K), Massdrop Focal Elex which is a steal at its price point, or a pair of Audeze LCD-X circa 2016 or newer. These are all in that "end game" territory and they're all amazing headphones.

Or wildcard option Hifiman Ananda. They're easy to drive, super wide sound stage, a great frequency response. I'm personally partial to the LCD-X since I own them, but the other options I've mentioned are all insanely good.

Don't get the HD660S, it's insanely overrated and isn't as even in response as an HD650/HD6XX. If you want a true upgrade and not a side grade, strongly suggest the options I mentioned earlier, particularly the Elex or the LCD-X.

I'm intrigued by the LCD-X even though they're a tad bit over my budget (which isn't a huge deal). Would you say you emphatically prefer them over the Focal Clears?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hamelekim posted:

I keep reading that they clears are pretty bass lite, as in neutral. Doesn't sound like he wants that neutral, but yeah I have heard good things about the clears. Some people swear by them over the Sennheiser HD800s,.

I wouldn't be too upset about bass lite if the headphones make up for it in other ways, mostly I'm just looking for good quality, I did want a tad bit more bass simply because videogames and film tend to master their audio more towards that end, but since I intend on listening to quite a bit more music now that I've got a working turntable setup again I'm not opposed to headphones that would reveal the greatest amount of detail.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hamelekim posted:

Depends on how much slam you want. My TH900s have tons of bass, but it's mostly sub, and it's fast and detailed which makes up for it. Also crystal clear highs. You feel it rather than just hear it. Again, haven't heard the Clears, just own the Elear, which has some nice mid-bass slam to them.

Amazon is actually selling the TH900s at about $1,099 so they're definitely on the table.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Thanks guys you've given a ton of great advice, I'm going to head over to the high end hifi place tonight and see if any of the recommendations are there to try, do a little more research and let y'all know what I decided on.
This has made things a lot less daunting.

EDIT: The budget was mostly just what I set aside for the headphones so the extra $100-200 I'm seeing for the LCD-X and others on Amazon is no big deal.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 12, 2018

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

So after some further research and getting to compare headphones in person, I've decided to wait a week longer to get the LCD-X as I was completely and utterly blown away by them.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

5-HT posted:

Audeze is doing another one of their b-stock sales.... so tempted to p/u some LCD-MX4's, but I can't find enough info on FR outside of one website to justify it yet.

https://www.audeze.com/products/audeze-holiday-special-2018

Sweet, I bought my LCD-X as B-stock from a hifi site, now I can buy the carrying case too without having to pay a premium.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

So yeah, the LCD-X is stunning now that I've had some decent home time with it. I got a Tidal Hi-fi subscription to boot to make the most of it.

Only thing I need to do now is upgrade my Amp/DAC from my dinky Fiio E10k to something more substantial, preferably one with an optical output (Xbox One X needs it). What decent ones are out there for around $300-500?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ddogflex posted:

Do you mean optical input? You want to play the Xbox over the headphones, correct?

Oh yeah sorry that's what I mean, the Xbox One X has an optical port which is the easiest way tl get a DAC to work.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ddogflex posted:

The Monoprice THX AAA looks awesome and has optical in, it's also balanced, and has a screen. Reviews look great. It's what I'd be buying if in the market right now. Something like $430 right now which aint friggin bad for the specs.

This one seems pretty interesting. I might save up for a Marantz HD-DAC1 but this is all pretty far out.

As an aside, does anyone have any experience with Dolby Atmos for Headphones while gaming? I'm somewhat curious if it's like other virtual surround spatial audio type deals where it absolutely shreds the audio quality to poo poo and creates a really unnatural sound.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DancingShade posted:

Does nothing to improve your musical enjoyment and yes it's only good for positional audio. Everything else sounds off.

Very effective in FPS gaming though but a lot of that is your headphones to begin with.

I tried it with RDR2 and while the positional audio was cool it completely neutered the soundscape and made it sound less "full" and busy like you'd expect those settings to sound like, also it ruined the game's fantastic music pretty much like you said.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm surprised by just how much the LCD-X improves gaming. I can obviously tell the sound in games is highly compressed but RDR2's soundscape took on whole new dimensions. I excited to try out Hellblade with its binaural audio on these.

5-HT thanks again for pushing me towards these, they're loving fantastic.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MarcusSA posted:

The beats X are good because they charge via lightning but the power beats sound better and the battery lasts longer.

That sounds really inconvenient.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MarcusSA posted:

Which part?

I don't want to have to wait for a storm every time I want to charge my headphones.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I asked about amp/DACs in here before, and while I know the effect on audio is relatively minimal compared to just switching headphones, I'm curious about which price point you guys would consider a product to start entering the phooey stage of diminishing returns.

I've still been researching and looked at the iFi Micro iDSD Black, it's at a hefty price point of $599 but it seems to have a lot of a lot of good press and general opinion. I'm extraordinarily wary of all the purported effects it has on the sound but mostly I just want something really sturdy, high quality, with a very low noise floor, (I've recently realized while listening to some of my older, more banged up vinyl on good headphones for the first time that hiss drives me nuts - although I know not much can be done about that), with optical and USB inputs, that is relatively portable with a battery so that I can comfortably move it to my bed stand at night without disassembling and reassembling a ton of wires repeatedly.

I feel like I didn't know enough about what I wanted the last time I was asking for advice in here regarding this, but now I have some actual parameters.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Vast overkill, you're already in phooey territory. Noise floor won't help your old vinyl, that's what old vinyl sounds like. You'll just hear more dirt (vinyl is objectively worse than digital, there i said it)

What's your source and what headphones are you driving?

Yeah I know as much, hence me saying I realize there isn't much of anything I can do about it, I just have some impossible to find elsewhere South African records of my father's that I'd like to listen to the best I can.

My sources (if I'm thinking of the right thing here) vacillate between my phone, Xbox One X, and PC, I don't have a nice receiver/player yet though I intend to.

5-HT posted:

$100

get a khadas tone board and a jds labs atom amp if you care about quality and want something fairly cheap and portable. done. here's a good list to go through if you're wanting alternative to the tone board

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-sinad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

iFi Micro i'm not sure about, but I know the nano tested very poorly

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-ifi-nano-idsd-black-dac-and-amp.4799/

These two look absolutely perfect, just ordered them. Khadas Tone Board should be fun to boot since I love making custom cases.

Thanks again for the recommendations, you've been more helpful in half a dozen posts than the several hundred Reddit threads I've trawled through.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BurritoJustice posted:

I can strongly recommend Audiosciencereview (the site that hosted that review). They have a strong focus on objective, scientific, hooey free audio and moderate accordingly. Cuts the crap.

Yeah I've looked at some reviews on there before but it's tough to actually find what you want without someone referring you specific products to look up on Audioscience and Reddit is basically useless for that.

I've only recently began to get seriously into audio (I used to cohost on a radio station but basically didn't do any of the radio tech work) and it's overwhelming sometimes, especially with how much total nonsense the audiophile world seems to latch onto.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the short version:

Headphones make a vast difference, this should be your biggest investment and there are a shitload of variables here.

Amps make a minor difference, you mostly just want to make sure you're giving your headphones enough juice. For planar magnetic and high impedance headphones like the HD600, this matters a lot more than with typical low-impedance headphones. The rule of thumb is: if you can't get headbanging volume from your smartphone, your headphones probably need a dedicated amp.

DACs make no audible difference unless they're broken, don't even worry about it.

This thread already helped me get the headphone part down pat, ended up with the LCD-X which I am extraordinarily happy with, they have pretty drat low impedance but are planar magnetic, no idea if that means it still benefits from a stronger amp, but it does more than fine on low gain with my Fiio as far as volume is concerned.
In any case I probably won't be upgrading for a long while, if at all, I am fairly interested about trying or buying other headphones down the line just to experience music differently.

5-HT posted:

regardless, khadas tone board w/ vims + vims case seems to be the cheapest and best option around if you don't mind a small amt of diy. i'll have one in hand myself soon, along w/ the jds labs atom amp too. put in orders for them earlier this week.

I decided to build my own little case from scratch, I don't know much about audio just yet but luckily I'm a huge PC building nerd so I'm gonna give that Khadas a handmade home.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, the Tone Board uses RCA outputs. Now the LCD-Xs already have detachable cables so you can swap them out, which cables should I buy to give them access to that DAC.

Do I actually need different cables if I'm going to run the JDS Atom amp alongside it? I'm not 100% sure how the daisy chain goes in this case, it's source to DAC to Amp I'm assuming.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 29, 2018

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

5-HT posted:

depends on what the setup running right now in all honesty. running off, god forbid, a Realtek dac which in a PC or Laptop, or even the output on the iMac, and he's relying on a 3.5mm out as as his line level out to an amp? not so good.

yes you can crank the digital volume to 100 and have it operate in a similar fashion, but very few of those jacks can push 2vrms. and almost every single one I've run into has been super noisy due to mains hum or any other number of factors in the case (ie super strong power draws from a GPU). the MacBook pro's headphone jack is one of the few rated @ 2VRMS, and Apple gear generally speaking does measure better (re: iPhone and iPad DAC Dongles w/ nice cirrus logic dacs). still the cleanest laptop or PC based jack I've ever messed with.

honestly the lcd-x don't need any strong amplification at all. it's really primarily built for content creators who want a quick reference point that will work in almost anything w/ a 1/4 inch jack. they only really require just around 1 vrms to actually drive them to deafening levels, just 51mW....

but an amplifier is fun for them, and the combo will give you a ton of headroom to mess w/ other headphones as time goes along. should last you for years if not over a decade as the usb-c implementation on the DAC means it's pretty well future proofed whenever USB-A does finally die off. and the amplifier is clean enough that the only limiting factor, period, are the transducers/heaphones themselves.

Plugging my headphones directly into the jack on my PC immediately causes noticeable noise, and yes it's Realtek so it's awful.

I bought the RCA cables just in case, regardless if I end up needing them they can still go in my cable drawer for any potential future necessity so it's not a big loss.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

5-HT posted:

also, my JDS Labs Atom and Hifiman Arya came in, will be posting pics and impressions later.

My Khadas Tone Board arrived but unfortunately the JDS Labs Atom only just shipped for me today, will hopefully be here by the end of the week. Curious about what your impression of the Atom will be.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The JDS Labs Atom has arrived! I'm excited to try it out after work with the Tone Board.

I'm pretty blown away by how the LCD-Xs are allowing me to enjoy music I either was only passingly interested in or even outright disliked before.

I only passively enjoyed Radiohead growing up, but now suddenly I can't keep Hail to the Thief off my playlist. Near the end of Sit Down. Stand Up. it ramps up into this odd procession of electronic percussion and digitally manipulated vocals that just sound nuts on these headphones. Bands that sounded "noisy," (not necessarily a bad thing) to me before suddenly sound extremely clear and well defined without losing that immense wall of sound quality. This is especially great on this Radiohead album since there quite a few sonically dense songs with a lot of different elements overlapping, I no longer feel overwhelmed or that I'm missing out on adequeatly being able to enjoy the instrumentation.

I never cared about LCD Soundsystem in the slightest, but here I am genuinely finding myself enamored with them, especially bass heavy songs. The bass on these things are fantastic, they've got oomph to them but don't draw out needlessly or seep into the rest of the track. Even in film and games I'm pretty stunned. Gunshots in RDR2 have this visceral thump to them that I can feel in my throat, even without the bass necessarily pushing out too much volume, hearing the crack of a gunshot combined with that sub-aural frequency pump gives gunfights some serious weight.

And of course ambient sound is utterly amazing, it's clear how having a decent soundstage and the clarity to easily distinguish between instruments lends itself well to positional and ambient audio in games and film. In RDR2 the rustling of leaves, snapping of twigs, the hoof beats of horses, the blowing of wind in the trees, the sound of running water, voices in the distance, incredible. I was able to avoid a snake simply because of how easily I was able to pick up on what is a relatively quiet sound in a busy soundscape. I've found myself closing my eyes in certain areas and just soaking in the ambiance.

Also, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice with its binaural audio is brilliantly anxiety inducing. It's with sound design of that caliber and headphones of this capability when it feels the most that the headphones aren't even there and you're simply hearing the game.

Very high pitched sounds do somewhat seem to blow out into indistinct noise sometimes, but this isn't the fault of the headphones, just the prosthetic in my right ear canal that doesn't like high frequency noise, but it's also a testament to the LCD-X's ability to belay this kind of harshness since it's no longer excruciating to experience nor does it obfuscate the rest of the music. This could potentially be one of the biggest pluses for me, my ability to enjoy music outside of speakers and live concerts has always been somewhat limited by the fact that my prosthetic does not like sound hollering at it that closely. This could also have something to do with the X's prodigious leather padding which leave more distance from hear to headphone than other pairs I have.

Speaking off, these things are amazingly comfortable, they're huge and heavy for headphones, but I have zero issues wearing them for hours at a time. They're not quite on the level of my DT990 Pros in that regard, but those are also super light and have some of the softest padding I've ever felt on quite literally anything (they are also great headphones that I would recommend to anyone shopping in that price range).

All in all I'm incredibly happy with these and somehow the $1,000+ I spent on them doesn't feel excessive in the slightest for what I got here. The LCD-Xs, given that I don't do anything clumsy, will guarantee what is close to the best possible listening experience for any audio I might partake in for years. It's been a few weeks since I've had them and consistently with each new album, movie or game I am blown away.

I have to thank everyone again for steering me in this direction.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

For those of you that have tried both the LCD-X and HD 800 S, how much wider is the soundstage on the ladder on a noticeable level? I've found this is one of my favorite aspects of upgrading to the LCD-Xs.

I'm kind of considering buying a different pair for the same of variety and building a collection, I'm thinking of snagging another high end pair a few months from now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

5-HT posted:

having owned both, HD800S is like listening to speakers in a well treated room, or the closest to that experience. HD800S if nothing else are detail retrieval and soundstage kings. LCD-X does have soundstage for sure, but nothing matches the HD800S in how "big" or "wide" the room sounds.

Welp, that makes my next purchase an easy one.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I got an odd question.

So I have three DAC/amps. The first is my JDS Labs Atom with Khadas Toneboard, the second is a Fiios E10K, and the third is a Micca Origen G2 I got secondhand from a friend.

I use the Atom/Khadas combo the most often by a wide margin, then the G2 when I'm at my partner's place. Something I've noticed is that when I listen to music by either plugging my headphones straight into my phone or using the G2/Fiio E10K, is that it's easier for me to separate elements of the music.
So when there's a soft guitar in the background of otherwise loud sounds, I can still easily distinguish it. Things sound a bit wider, more three dimensional and positional.

This isn't the case with the Atom. Don't get me wrong, the Atom is my favorite by a decent bit as it just plains sound better for whatever reason, but it's a noticeable difference and it sounds narrower, but beefier when it comes to bass. It is, however, prone to certain sounds or instruments getting themselves lost underneath the other aspects of a recording.
Maybe I'm just listening to the Atom louder and that makes it harder to separate instruments? Do the other amps color the music a bit? I've listened to the same songs off of Tidal a handful of times just to make sure I'm not hearing things, but it's rather obvious.

The RCA cables I have do have a bit of a habit of loosening out of the sockets on the Khadas and Atom if I jostle them but otherwise they're fine, though they don't "clip" into the sockets like an optical or coaxial cable does. No idea if that has anything to do with it, though I doubt it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

redeyes posted:

IMO you are going off about stuff that is completely due to the DAC output amp.

What do you mean by that?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

redeyes posted:

I mean the amplifier output is what you are noticing. Not really the DAC.

Yeah the Atom is the amp.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Scottishprog posted:

It's time to tweak my setup a bit....

I have a pair of Massdrop HD1060s that need a new set of ear pads... one side has the cover coming off. (Could I pry the pad off, and re-glue the fabric?)

Main issue that I have is the seeming lack of bass in the sound. Could be the amp I am using - An Onkyo A-5VL. Drive a DIY set of speakers really well, but not so much for the headphones. (The clarity/detail seems to be ok - don't have to turn up the volume to understand speech.)

Looking at Schiit Magni preamp, driven off of my Onkyo, using its DAC. But I am open to suggestions.

Budget: Up to $300 for the amp, more if the value is there. Also open to different headphones too.
Source: PC Optical out
Isolation: Not needed.
Preferred Type of Headphone: I have in-the-ear hearing aids, so Over-the-Ear only.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Neutral. Clarity of reproduction is more important.
Past Headphones: Shure SRH1440s Decent sound reproduction, absolutely garbage headband, comfortable, but very fragile.
Preferred Music: Renaissance, Medieval, Electronica. (With occasional Metal and/or bagpipes.)

The JDS Labs Atom I have has some fantastic punchy bass, more so than the other amps I have in that price range. It's also an extraordinarily neutral amp that does little to no coloring on music. It has what is likely the best SINAD rating for its price as well. It can also drive most headphones pretty well. I have some DT990 Pros that it has no issue with at all, my LCD-X's get louder than they'd ever need to be with no need to adjust gain on either.

At $99 it's a steal. The only thing that's a little meh is the build quality, it's solid and does its job fine, but it's plastic and light. Otherwise I'm pretty glad 5-HT set me on it because at this point I'm so happy with it I have zero desire to upgrade.

It uses RCA inputs but if you use the Onkyo it should work alright.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 23, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ChazTurbo posted:

Anyone have experience with planars? Got the 58x and I'm loving them but km super curious about how the 4XX on mass drop sound in comparison. Would the built in amp in a mobo be enough to drive them if they're already fine with the 58x. Mine is reportedly capable of up to 60p ohms

If you value clarity and minimal distortion they're fantastic, the trade-offs tend to be less pronounced bass (which is still clearer imo and leads to a shorter, punchier sound) and really, really bad sound leakage. Everything sounds a lot crisper and nuanced, of course, in the high end there are dynamic driver headphones like the Focal Clears that easily rival planars but I prefer planars in the more lower-midrange just because of the clarity. The bass thing is entirely more preference on thudding versus punching. There's also something more immersive and enveloping about them, could just be how enormous the drivers tend to be but planars are amazing even with videogames and movies due to that quality.

Straight up do not buy planars if sound leaking and outside noise is a huge consideration for you. My LCD-Xs practically sound like small tinny speakers to other people in the room even with moderate volume.

Your PC will be able to drive them fine, there's just the typical noise considerations but if that doesn't bother you at the moment then it shouldn't be an issue.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Matt Zerella posted:

Welp, today I went HAM and got the following:

Hifiman HE4XX
JDS Atom
Khalsa Tone Board (pre order)

I'm assuming I don't need a case for the tone board and can just hide it away?

Yeah you can safely do that if you at least secure it in a spot that isn't going to have a lot of potential for static discharge or moisture in the air.

Biggest reason I made my own case is because it weighs nothing and all my braided cables move it around if I adjust anything which is annoying.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I want to get a carrying case for my LCD-Xs but they are enormous and I'm hesitant about ordering something and them not fitting. I guess I could just get the Audeze case.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

fknlo posted:

I assume it's the same one that came with mine and that thing is loving huge. Like the size of a 6 pack cooler huge.

That sounds excessive and sick, prob gonna get it now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

5-HT posted:

Arya Stuff

You've got me intrigued. I'm by no means bored with my LCD-Xs (on the contrary I absolutely love them) or likely ever will want to replace them entirely but I've been trying to find another pair just for variety and was leaning towards the HD 800 S simply for the soundstage, but if the Arya is close in that aspect then I might opt for that instead because I've fallen in love with planars and it seems like they would be a good contrast to the LCD-X's strengths.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

5-HT posted:

Night Lovell - Bad Kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksn5PC4Io7I

Focal Elex - Now I'm getting irritated. You can hear the driver distort like crazy on the low end. It's tonally correct, but weaker than the planars (duh). If I push beyond 95 dB on this track drivers literally bottom out and you can hear them clicking/clipping. Thoroughly disappointed with this. This song is all about the bass and mids. Mids are fine, but w/o the sub bass it's dead as a doornail. I will say it is better than HD650, I'll get more into it in my final impressions.

Audeze LCDX - This m'fing low-end. Holy crap. This nearly bottoms out the LCDX, you can hear the driver struggling as you push it louder, unreal. That said, the slam is super tight on, everything sounds right tonally, nothing overemphasized. Head shockingly good sub bass extension.

Hifiman Arya - Literally shaking my face w/ low-end, jfc. And wait, is that some air I'm hearing?

Winner: Tie w/ LCD-X and Arya

I just listened to this track on my LCD-Xs and JDS Labs Atom and holy poo poo that bass lmfao. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

So I decided to impulse buy the AKG K702s, mostly because I decided that I'd rather test out a more inexpensive pair of headphones with wide soundstage and less emphasized bass before I committed to a far more expensive pair.

The LCD-Xs are basically all I'm every going to want for electronic/hip-hop/rock and even metal, but since I'm also a classical and jazz dweeb I want something to scratch that particular itch, pretty excited to see how these will sound.

EDIT: As an aside, since 2017, I've blown two thousand bucks on an OLED TV, two thousand bucks on an obsene gaming rig, a thousand bucks on an ultrawide monitor, but out of all that poo poo, the one that I least expected to be the most impressive yet ended up being my favorite purchase of all were the LCD-Xs (and that OLED blows me away so this is saying something) because gently caress, having headphones this good is the most impressive upgrade to how I experience art since I discovered weed and shrooms in highschool.
I really have no idea how I spent two years working at a radio station, nearly two decades of engaging in music, learning several instruments, and studying musical theory for me to discover decent audio tech this late. The DT 990 Pros were already a huge step up but this is just another world.

Matt Zerella posted:

Finally got my Tone Board set up. It's good!

Setup is: USB -> Tone Board -> Atom -> HE4XX

Listening to the new Carpenter Brut track "Hush Sally, Hush!" and everything sounds very nice. I'm noticing no hiss like i was with onboard. Everything is crisp and has a bit of CRONCH to it. I'm not a professional audio reviewer so i have no idea what im talking about.

Also...either I ordered 2 tone boards by accident or Khadas sent me a second by mistake :stare:

That's basically my same setup lol, Tone Board, Atom and planar headphones. How are you liking the HE4XX by the way? My friend's birthday is coming up and he's a huge vinyl lover, I was thinking of buying him the HE4XX but was eyeing the ATH-M50X for a safer bet.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 20, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Speaking of cables. I picked up my LCD-Xs the other day to find at some point the clip top of one of the headphone cable jacks had come off.

The headphones still work fine, the right channel cable is just at more danger of getting tugged out by mistake.

Am I alright just using them until I can replace the cable? It probably has zero effect on the sound.

For reference it's the part of the cable where you press down on the tab to snap them into the ports.

Like in this picture on the right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

eddiewalker posted:

It’s fine, but also an easy fix. If your cable is made with the same Switchcraft TA4FX as my stock cable is, you can just buy a new one and swap the whole outer shell. It’s just a screw-on thing.

I made very little effort to find a good deal, but here’s one for $7.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/107105-switchcraft-ta4fx-4-pin-mini-xlrf-ta-series-cable-mount-connector

If yours isn’t a Switchcraft, it still shouldn’t be hard to source. There aren’t many companies making mini-XLR connectors.

I ended up buying tabs like those and fixing it pretty easily, thanks for leading me in the right direction.

After a few weeks of listening to the AKG K702s I gotta say the soundstage definitely is noticeably massive, they're not nearly as intimate or lush sounding as the LCD-Xs, but with certain things sound incredible.

The Blade Runner soundtrack for example has a lot of audio samples straight from the films, lines of dialog, rain, the shuffling of characters around the environment, the clicks of the Voight-Kampff machine, etc. and on the LCD-Xs these details are extremely detailed and clear, but everything is somewhat cloistered in my headspace.
By no means narrow, but as I said, very intimate, if I were to actually watch the film with the visual aspect retained, I would certainly prefer this over the more distant and wide AKG K702s.

But if I listen to the OST on the K702s with my eyes closed in a dark room, wow, it's like being lost in a three dimensional space of sound, I can construct a mental image of my surroundings, and in a sense, feel transported into film using memories evoked by the soundtrack and the samples snippets. It was kind of a mindblowing experience.

Things get closer, then farther, in a way that's more tangible than the LCD-Xs, and I really, really do get that sense sometimes that these sounds are emanating from a distance, rather than right next to my head.

This does seem to come with the caveat that things don't center very well, sound coming from my peripheral rather than head on come off as separated and isolated, there's a bit of "space" between them. Sometimes this has the effect of making songs sound less whole, and fragmented, likely that's a trade off for the impressive detailing in the AKG K702s, I wonder if the vaunted HD800S has a similar quality.

They are, as people often state, fantastic for jazz and classical, but I don't necessarily feel they are outright better than the LCD-Xs in that regard. While, as a trained musician, I value looking at orchestral pieces clinically and thus highly value the imaging and detail of the K702s, sometimes I just don't give a poo poo about that and just want to be overtaken by the music.

The AKG K702s make me feel as though I'm in a center, middle-forward seat at a concert venue, this gives everything a fantastic sense of place and replicates the live concert going experience as well as any headphones I've heard can, but the LCD-Xs seem to make the experience less realistic and more fantastical, as though you're experiencing the story and motion of the music first hand, rather than experiencing an orchestra playing in front of you. Less about the playing, more about the music.

Either case is special in it's own way, but the LCD-Xs are just more "fun."

And yes, the bass on the AKGs are lacking, though I'm going to switch out the pads for leather ones since the seal sucks and I can't imagine that helps. That being said, the bass is still present and sufficient, I don't feel it's nearly totally absent as some people have hyperbolized.

It's been really cool getting first hand experience at comparing very, very contrasting headphones outside of a hifi shop. I'm glad I bought these, even though my usage of them will likely be hyper specific towards certain genres.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 4, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Whoa, Massdrop has these electrostatics along with the prerequisite amp for it for 499?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-koss-esp-95x-electrostatic-system?utm_source=linkshare&referer=undefined

Extremely curious. I haven't heard any electrostatic and this is insanely inexpensive compared to basically any other option in that regard.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ChazTurbo posted:

I'm between the d30 and odac for an external dac. Kinda want the odac since it's made in the US and I wanna support muh boys but they charge 40 extra for an optical input and the d30 seems to measure better according to nerds.

If they both measure well then they're both going to do their jobs perfectly fine with minimal distortion and noise floor. At that point it's just about build/looks/inputs/outputs/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Anyone have an opinion on Campfire Audio's Cascade? I'm looking for a good closed pair for when my partner is sleeping and literally every headphone I have right now is open and leaks tons of sound (my LCD-Xs might as well be little speakers).

I heard Fostex also has some good closed back headphones, wondering which of those are good picks.

My budget is up to $1000 but it doesn't need to hit that mark it can be well below if the headphones are good.