Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I've been browsing the backscroll and reading but I haven't seen quite what I'm looking for if yall could help

Budget - Probably $250 for everything at the outside (Including any USB 'adapters' or modmic attachments)
Source - Multiple Computers / Cellphone / PS4
Isolation Requirements - More is better
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear then on ear in that order
Preferred Tonal Balance -No Preference
Past Headphones - Turtle beach headset (forget which one) and Logitech wired headset
Preferred Music - Voice / Phone then Chiptunes and EDM second

SO I have managed to break the last two headsets I have bought; so I am looking for something around build quality first. Both broke around plastic hinges above the earpieces. I also have a large head, so that may be contributing to my problem. I would like something that has a microphone, as voice chat and phone calls are a primary function for me, but I am open to attaching a modmic or something similar to a good set of headphones. I would like something that is easy to transfer between all the devices listed above. I have a pair of IEMs that I use for some things, but I find I can't wear them for very long. Any help can be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Budget - up to $500 to solve
Source - 2 laptops, phone, desktop, tablet (see below)
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM (I sleep in IEMs sometimes because my partner snores)
Preferred Tonal Balance - N/A
Past Headphones - cheap garbage IEMs and Corsair VOIDs
Preferred Music - Techno, Metal, Alternative

So, ideally I would like to come up with one solution for my sound needs. None of my sources are terribly high quality (mostly streaming music and conference calls). The issue I have is that I need to transfer from device to device multiple times a day as I join conference calls. I also need a mic, but I don't know what to do about a mic if I get IEMs without it included. My ideal situation id getting a Bluetooth DAC/AMP with a mic and a nice set of IEMs; where the DAC has functionality to easily/quickly swap source, but I don't even know that such a thing exists. I'm OK with a mini stereo plug that gets moves between sources too, but this seems less ideal. I use the devices I have now like 8-10 hours a day, plus overnights as mentioned above 2-5 times a week. I keep wearing out or breaking IEMs (No physical damage but one or the other of the monitors ends up sounding like poo poo). Is there a solution to this? Or do I just keep buying $20 lovely IEMs and replacing them when they break.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Not sure I follow. What breaks on the IEMs? The driver? The cable? You could maybe get some IEMs with removable cables but those start to add up in cost too.

Do you expect this stuff to move around with you? Are you stationary when you want to switch between all of these devices or do you want to seamlessly switch from, say desktop to laptop 1 in a different room to tablet on the move with you to phone in your pocket? I suppose what I’m asking is how many of these devices should be plugged into one device (IE a dac or receiver/preamp or whatever) vs Bluetooth vs something else.

What kind of devices are they? I assume the phone and tablet are Android devices since you didn’t name them as iOS. What about the computers? Mac? Linux? Win? What are we working with here? USB outs? Optical? Analog only?

On the lovely IEMs I buy now I assume it's the driver that breaks. One side will start sounding weak and muffled. There's no obvious damage or frayed cable or whatever.

When I am switching I am sitting at my desk. All the devices are at the desk in front of me. I have literally one of everything except iOS (Mac, Widows laptops, linux desktop. Android phone & tablet) The laptops have normal headphone out ports and USB-C. The desktop has Optical S/PDIF and various analog line outs from on board chipset (also USB ports of many varieties). Phone has headphones out and USB-C. Tablet is older and has like micro-A and headphones out (THis lives mostly next to my bed to generate white noise for when I sleep. It's lowest priority to solve for me)

Thanks for any help you can provide. I hope this helps!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Do you need mic in to all of them? Which ones do you need to mic into?

the mic needs to go into the two laptops and the phone at least. It going into the desktop would be a bonus.

trem_two posted:

I think your best bet is to get a good Bluetooth/USB DAC amp combo. Something like the Radsone ES-100, or Fiio BTR3k or BTR5. They'll allow you to pair with just about any device, and can easily drive just about any IEM you'd come across in your price range. They have microphones, so can be used for calls/audio input, although I think the quality of that audio is generally considered ok-at-best. I have an ES100 and use it mostly with my phone via Bluetooth, but also occasionally use it connected to my laptop via USB when I want to use it's 2.5mm balanced output. Sounds incredible in both situations.

You'll surely be able to get some excellent IEMs along with this type of device given your total budget. It ultimately depends on what you'd prefer to spend, the type of fit you want, and the type of sound profile you are looking for - IE do you care more about something exciting with big bass, or something more analytical/balanced, do you care more about detail retrieval or maybe prioritize having a wider sound stage, etc. I'm guessing based on the genres of music you mentioned that you'd want something geared more towards fun rather than analytical listening.

I looked at the BTR5, that seemed to be a lot of what I was asking for. Do you know what the experience is of switching it though? I was afraid with any of those that it would become a major hassle to switch. ANd to be clear I dont' necessarily want to spend $500, especially since I know my sources are never going to be the best.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hello. I have come again to ask for advice for IEMs.

Budget - $350
Source - Many. I have a FiiO M5 and will probably plug it direct into computers and phones of all ilks.
Isolation Requirements - I need isolation, but IEMs
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like heavy Bass
Past Headphones - I had/have some NX7s; I thought they were way too treble forward. Also the port for the headphone cables shattered on one of them, so they don't work.
Preferred Music - Metal, Techno. Zoom.