Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Pretty much this. They are the best value under $70 (maybe even $100 unless you get a deal).

The CB-1's, at least if you're in the US I dunno how it goes elsewhere, are $55 straight from Status, who as I recently discovered with their BT Ones, has incredibly good shipping and support both. Shipping was free too on the BT Ones at least.

https://www.status.co/products/cb1

E: Also I belatedly realized after a nap and feeling less like trash that that was already what you meant. :cripes:

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I didn’t realize they were on sale (which they frequently are tbh). Because of that I wouldn’t pay full price for them lol.

I saw the BT ones but I am not a fan of on ears

The BTs sounded incredible, to me anyway, but they were tiny and the construction felt just cheap enough that with my giant head I figured they'd come apart sooner than later. Definitely going to pick up some CBs though after how impressed I was with those.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Started reading this thread to ask a question of my own and then completely forgot to, woops.

I'm looking for some headphones primarily for gaming and while I listen to a ton of music I'm not particularly picky there, if at all. Gaming headsets, studio reference or just regular listening sets are all fine as I've got a mic setup and it's likely my wants would drive me towards an digital 7.1 setup but every single one I've tested in years gone by has been trash. Maybe that's changed and I don't know it.

Ultimately my biggest wants are a really good sound stage, primarily for clarity of picking things out during games if I'm sticking with something stereo or really good digital surround, which I continue to suspect isn't a thing.

Budget - $100-150 USD
Source - Wired, PC with soundcard (probably a bad one)
Isolation Requirements - Not necessary, wouldn't hurt
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral accuracy is the concern over any particular balance but I tend to prefer something warmer when that comes through.
Past Headphones - Reams of trash gaming headphones none of which really stood out, 990s that were probably my favorite music/film pair and a couple of cheaper studio sets like the Philips SHP9500 and ones around that price range that I've really enjoyed for gaming imaging.
Preferred Music - Lots of modern rock and trash pop, but not overly concerned on the music performance as it has to be actively bad for me to really care on that front.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 4, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

DildenAnders posted:

They're just a little more than $150, and have some weird shipping issues, but the Sennheiser Pc38x has a great soundstage and nice mic for the price. They are open-backed, so not much isolation, but open-backed is a lot better for soundstage.

After losing my goddamn mind for like a week straight I emerged from my research fugue and ended up with some M40Xs, since I have a mic setup. I appreciate it though, the 38x were one I was definitely looking at.

And I fell down a hole where I'm now thinking about amps and stuff so welp.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 9, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
So as someone whose headphone knowledge ('knowledge') has gone from buying trash gaming headsets since I was younger because I couldn't afford anything else to the realization that "Oh hey these things can actually sound nice?" in the last couple years, what's the deal with planar headphones? It's something that I am like, peripherally aware of and I'm soooort of starting to develop a headphone problem but I'm curious if there's a genuine, marked difference between traditional drivers and planar or if it's more of a purely subjective thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unfortunately it looks like the couple of places that do headphone demos around here are still waving them off because of the pandemic which is entirely fair. I was admittedly mostly curious about planar sets (and electrostatic but lmao that kind of money for a pair of headphones... so far) because of the handful of various 'nice' headphones I've gotten to try they all kind of sound similar. I'm not sure if I'm not just able to pick out the differences from my relatively short time using nice headphones, if they sounded similar cause they were pretty much all $100-300 open back headphones with similar detail and staging or probably a combination of both. I'm definitely interested in finding different headphones for different listening purposes, though a solid chunk of my audio intake is video games I do like the idea of different signatures for various genres and such. Plus honestly, my hearing has always been fairly good and discovering more complex sound with good headphones has been neat. :shrug: So buying a couple two or few hundred dollar toys a year to test stuff out seems like a fairly low hobby entry before I lose my mind and buy something too crazy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Grados was in fact on my list of "cheap enough to punt on" things that I've heard talked about as sounding extremely polarizing so I was gonna try a pair at some point just to see what I thought. I love the aesthetic of the 60, 80, 100 line if nothing else, they look cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I was looking at HE-400i 2020s and Monoprice 565c(? loving Sony rear end names) as entry points, barring any sales on Audeze stuff or the decision to really make bad money calls.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It looks like Grado has moved the 60 et al series on to the X revision, are they a company that does wild swings between revisions or am I still pretty set when I grab one (or both probably) of them?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cool, thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Still looking at where I wanna start buying headphones for fun rather than just "Ah poo poo the yoke on these goddamn logitechs broke" and probably leaning towards starting with some Grados cause I'm just really curious about them and an entry planar and messing with those for a while before I drop too much money beyond that.

That said, some of the stuff I may eventually pick up is going to need an amp, probably the planars to start with based on the ones I'm looking at. So given that pretty much all of my sound runs through a computer, I don't have a stereo setup or anything, what would be a good amp and dac, either combo or stack, that'll power any reasonably powerful headphones and last a solid while? I don't need something that'll power 300ohm 85db stuff but it'd be nice to buy something fairly mid-range that'll just take care of me for a while if I don't ever want to dip my toes into "Well this amp sounds better with these headphones" because I am still (probably vainly) trying to avoid falling that far down the rabbit hole.

E: Woops to clarify, thinking like $250-400 for the whole thing but I'm still in that stage of getting into a new hobby where I spend a month researching it before doing anything so I have no idea if that'll do it or not and I'd be happy to go lower.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 11, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dumb question time, what's the difference between the O2 ODAC and the SDAC? Seems like the SDAC is a newer revision but I assume there's a reason I'm seeing vastly different price points.

E: Ah yes, very dumb question it turns out.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 11, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Picked up those Grados, amp/DAC is on the menu next month, budget of single dad with two black hole fueled teenagers permitting but I did find something curious in a drawer, which checking my Amazon orders are Linsoul KZ ZSX from a couple years ago back when I got curious about IEMs. I'm still curious about IEMs but I tried these again and it was borderline painful to have them seated as close to correctly as I could figure out in my ear, so I'm assuming the tips or the bit the tips go on is way too big for me and I was wondering about either solutions to that or other entry level IEMs that people might recommend for someone with stupidly shaped/extremely narrow ears.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Youtube just served me a goddamn six minute ad for Status' ANC headphones, which is probably my own fault with my googling but still incredibly bizarre.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Constellation I posted:

uBlock Origin, my friend (or Youtube Vanced on mobile)

Unfortunately youtube has started doing adblock disabling stuff but I've managed to get rid of most of them. It was just bizarre that the one that got through was an impossibly lovely headphone ad.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My experience today: These Grados look really neat. Oh poo poo they're comfortable as hell too. Is my head broken? Is everyone else's head broken? :ohdear: And then several hours later; are my ears broken?

So in the pursuit of figuring that out, swapping from my SPH9500s to these Grado SR60x doesn't sound super different to me, if at all. Obviously going from one relatively modest open back headphone to another isn't going to be a massive difference but if anyone has any songs, videos, what have you that might kind of elucidate what I should be looking for on the tuning of these Grados as I swap back and forth - also have some M40X for swapping just to have something different - it'd be appreciated.

It's probably just a lack of experience and actually, you know, listening to stuff instead of just having it in the background but the lack of immediate difference was somewhat jarring.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's a good call and a good place to start, thanks.

Watching Legion, a show with some pretty high pitched stuff, definitely had that stuff feeling sharper at least than other headphones I've worn but so far that's about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think you can put me down in the "likes Grados" column, at least at the lowest end of Grados, who knows if I'll ever pick up anything fancier from them. Nice as the wood versions look $600+ for the same build quality is a little nutty for me even still.

Used the SR60x for a week, spent this morning messing around with various headphones and of the vaguely comparable ones the Grados just have more of what I want from the sound. The SPH(SHP?)9500 are still extremely comfortable and sound good but turns out headphones do sound different and it's pretty cool! Oh no.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I sorta figured since the wooden ones are listed as reference. Probably avoid them, maybe get SR80s at some point down the line for kicks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My perpetual indecision and ability to research myself to death has ended up in a Magni Heresy and Modi 3+ and I'm excited to figure out how I hosed up when they show up tomorrow.

Initially I thought neutral or analytical stuff was going to be my thing but I feel like I could get one solid, hyper-neutral set and then why would I buy a bunch more?

So I have a more refined version of my earlier ask on entry planars: up to $350 which basically means Sunaras or anywhere below, I think I want one that's less neutral and more fun if anyone has thoughts on that. Bass or simply more interesting tuning, either or or something I'm not aware of yet.

E: Also strongly considering waiting on something like the Sundaras and getting Argons.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 14, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not really related to anything but the number of Beyer DT range headphones on secondary sale with absolutely filthy pads sure is something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

RTX voice also can prevent your GPU from idling just FYI.

Dogen posted:

Yeah, I try to remember to toggle it off but I usually catch it if I forget because my GPU fan is moving.

I imagine one could use nvinspector like we had to in the old days for multiple monitors to solve this problem, also…

The 'upgraded' version of RTX Voice, nVidia Broadcast (it still just silently crashes all the time, so) has a fix for the GPU idle issue, at least.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking of which, I'm back with a really dumb question. I ended up with Sundaras (and... other stuff :cripes:) and decided thanks to having a decent income again I might as well keep messing around and buying dumb headphones cause why not, I haven't had the luxury of having a hobby or the good brains it gives in a while.

So to that end, I'm using an diffuse field EQ for the Sundara which, to me anyway, really lightens up the sound and makes it feel less constrictive around my ears, as well as adding some nice shimmer to the high end. I know there are DF specific headphones but those strike me as odd gimmicks, so my question is essentially is there anything that might deliver that light, air-y tonality with a really spread out sound (I still don't know my sound terms, mostly, sorry) by dint of itself, rather than EQ? I assume nothing is going to get quite there on its own but I'd love to mess around with anything even in the ballpark.

E: Oh and separate question, anyone have strong feelings about any of the nice, mid-range-ish closed backs? $500-1500 or so, not really looking for the same tonality there, just need some nice closed backs for sharing the home office space again.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 13, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think the closest you'll get to DF these days is the Etymotic tuning, which is absolutely wonderful but they only make IEMs and probably won't give you the soundstage width you're looking for. I think the only real upgrade option there is one of the flavors of HD800, but it's certainly a leap that comes with its own issues (not the least of which being price). I'm normally a big fan of using EQ to find your preference and then buying headphones that match, but at this point everyone's doing some flavor of harman, and the Sundara are technically capable enough that I don't think you're leaving anything on the table by EQing them.

Closed back in that price range i'd be looking at either focal or dan clark, but also you're getting into moondrop variations / thieaudio monarch mk2 territory and honestly I think IEMs give you better bang for buck than closed backs these days.

Unfortunately with how much pain even standard IEMs cause me - very narrow canals and overly sensitive ears - Etymotics are probably out of the picture. I'll see if I can't demo some HD800s at some point, from what I understand they probably are what I'm looking for there.

As for the closed backs Dan Clark and Focal were my two front-runners from what I had seen, with maybe LCD-XC on the side, though the weight of Audeze stuff I'm iffy on. I've also seen a chunk of people complaining about the QC/build on Focals but I don't know if that's legit or just the age old problem of people treating their stuff like poo poo and throwing it around.

Appreciate the thoughts, thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh wow, yeah that's definitely worth a shot to see how I feel about Focals, thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I would wait on the Audeze, they've been trying to make their poo poo lighter for years without compromising too much and the lcd-5 is the first time they've gotten it right. hopefully it'll trickle down to the products normal people can actually buy.

It's only ten dollars per gram, that's a steal!

Yeah that's probably a good call.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As someone who was not ever planning to be a dad and didn't really end up having a choice in taking care of kids not even my own, you suck rear end and should leave forever. Take better care of the man who's going to grow up to be better than you to boot.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alright, I've been messing with EQ on the headphones I already own and doing all sorts of dumb nonsense and I've finally narrowed down my personal tastes, I think.

So with that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations for a headphone with extremely good separation and imaging? Closed back preferably but open is fine. Budget is $1,500 or less - wouldn't mind less, to be fair - but the more I listen to headphones the more I realize that instrument overlap/clash is the thing that bothers me the most and having nice imaging for the other stuff I do is also a huge benefit. Still looking at the Aeon 2 Noir and a few other things but now that I'm sure what I want I wanted to see if anyone was super jazzed about any particular set with those properties.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 29, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I'm looking for a budget set ( like under $75) of bluetooth over ear headphones with low latency for gaming/streaming.

I tried with some Tozo bluetooth earbuds and they didn't work well, there was some delay and they got uncomfortable after a while.

No windows run bluetooth thing is going to have acceptable latency for gaming unfortunately. You need a dedicated dongle which pretty much consigns you to gaming headsets.

For bluetooth over ear at that price range your options are Anker, which is acceptable stuff if not incredible and looking around this Audio Technica set I can't personally vouch for unfortunately.

Probably some brand I'm not aware of though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh, rtings has reviews for headphones too. Of course they do. I should really buy a subscription to them.

These are the ones I'm looking at:

Basically the Astro has the best sound and microphone, the Logitech has longer battery life (18h vs 24h) and good sound+mic, and the Penrose has bluetooth (which would make my life easier in terms of input switching - could use it for my work laptop on bluetooth and on the USB for gaming) but the treble sucks and the battery life is very bad (13h).

Thinking out of these, the Astro sounds best, although I would love to have RF+bluetooth both available for "input switching".

This kind of stuff is really relative but even the best gaming headset mic is going to sound no better than some $30 desktop mic, they always skimp on the mic quality no matter how much they're overcharging for the headset. Also the widespread availability of software isolation solutions (Discord crisp, Nvidia RTX voice, etc) means that you don't really need to be concerned with the mechanic isolation/pickup of most mics at a budget level. They're all going to sound kind of thin and compressed.

If you're dead set on wireless and dual source, be aware that there are lots, lots, lots of complaints about Penrose QC and firmware out there, though I can't speak to them personally.

Final consideration; ratings mostly does measurements and rarely talks subjective sound which is something I've learned to be wary of. The treble peak on something might not bother you at all or is something that can be EQ'd.

Overall I'd agree that the Astro is probably the best option if you're going to do a gaming headset out of that group.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's downright impressive, honestly. I've had some janky, awful headphones over the years - mostly gaming sets which is why I speak up on that stuff in here - but nothing so bad that I think I would unilaterally never recommend it.

Though I do appreciate you saying so because I was considering them even with the issues I'd seen but given how even just a little too much clamp makes me miserable I'll definitely be passing now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dogen posted:

LCD2 classic observations:

That is a short cable

Needs EQ (6XX doesn’t, to me)
e: on further examination (I only had 30 minutes to mess with them last night), they are fine without EQ, although the adjustments I had made were relatively minor

It’s noticeably heavy but I don’t think it’s going to bother me over an extended period of time

The sound is weirdly clear, is the best way I can describe it. Feels more present and playing a little Deathloop the environment sounded much bigger if that makes sense?

I’d be interested in hearing your full thoughts on them after you’ve had them a bit, if you don’t mind.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dogen posted:

So I spent a lot of time integrating them into my setup this weekend - I got a passive jack switcher because I want to keep my 6XX as well.

I ended up diving deep into messing with EQ. I installed Equalizer APO+Peace, mostly in the interest of having a more flexible EQ than my driver's parametric, and used the curves that ortho1990 guy has on reddit. I find the most disagreeable part of the sound is a certain ring/sibilance in the treble sometimes, and also overly emphasized vocals, and the EQ solution helps fix that up a little and lets me boost the sub-bass to my preference.

It also let me put the 6XX on an even footing, I A/B'd them using my switcher (EQ on and off on the 6XX, on only on the LCD2) on a few different tracks and overall I like the LCD2 better; it has way more detail. The 6XX just sounds... less... detailed (maybe this is what veiled means) by comparison. The LCD2 is a little harsher to listen to and is less forgiving to poorly produced tracks though.

Thanks. It’s often oddly weird to find thoughts on headphones that don’t sound like marketing copy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’m not sure of the exact chain of lineage but you might look at the Sennheiser PC38x from Drop, location permitting. Same general feature set as the 310, though not wireless.

Though if you want open, the 58x also from Drop, paired with a standalone mic, is a very, very good option.

As far as I know Sennheisrer doesn’t make a 2.4ghz dongle headset unfortunately and you don’t want to use their BT ones for gaming.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 23, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xenoborg posted:

Doesn't still need to be Sennheiser, and like you found they don't really have what I want. Also only interested in headsets with mics if I'm going wireless since they aren't much use if I cant talk back when I walk away.

Something like Corsair HS70 seem like what I want, but I don't know what brands are good. I know Corsair was a good RAM brand a decade ago, but I've not kept up.

Corsair is fine as gaming headsets go, they all have problems but Corsair tends to not have awful sound like Razer or break two days out of warranty like Logitech, though that’s of course anecdotal. The HS70 looks like a pretty good option, overall if you don’t want to go in on something grossly overpriced like their Virtuoso series (and you shouldn’t to be clear.)

All wireless gaming headsets require you to put up with the unimaginably awful companion programs though and Corsair has one of the worst, if that matters to you. It’ll mostly be plug and go but if something fails it’ll be there.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

If you want to buy a wireless gaming headset get hyperX cloud flight; or cloud flight 2. If you wanna get extra fancy replace the pads with dekoni pads. They sound better than most from what I’ve read and the companion program is very minimal and perfectly fine.

I always forget this is an option but yeah HyperX is probably your best option for good sound while remaining a gaming headset.