Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I bought a new pair of Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 true wireless headphones recently and I have a strange problem: for some reason, the volume control function of the earbuds does not work when they are connected to my PC or notebook. The rest of the controls work fine, but the volume up/down keypress just doesn't do anything. It works fine with both my tablet and my Android phone, so I'm fairly sure it's not a mechanical defect in the earbuds themselves, but I can't figure out what the problem is. Googling for a solution has given me absolutely nothing, apparently I'm literally the first person to ever run into that particular issue or something.

Any ideas what might be going on there? I'd expect it to be a driver issue if it were any other kind of peripheral, but as far as I can tell, bluetooth headphones don't even have those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DancingShade posted:

I'll take a wild guess the touch controls only work with android or ios.

Your PC is the source and is yelling at your buds, your buds try yelling back and the PC folds its arms and says "you do what I say buddy".
That doesn't really make any sense. Literally every other set of bluetooth headphones that I've tried out over the last year or so has worked just fine in that regard. I can't imagine that this pair just arbitrarily uses a completely different protocol for that one specific function when the rest goes through without any problems.

quote:

Also check you have the latest firmware update.
The Melomania 1 is not able to have its firmware updated, according to the manufacturer website.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think I'll just return them altogether. Those things are turning out to be complete garbage. Half of the supposed product specs are outright lies (thirty meters range my rear end, it's more like five) and there's already a noticeable crackle in the left earbud, even though I haven't even used them for all of a full day yet. Lesson learned: never trust "product tests" and reviews on the internet, they're all bullshit and probably astroturfing.

Kind of pathetic that "made in Britain" quality can't measure up to the 30 Dollar no-name Chinese cheapo-phones that I've been using so far. I certainly won't buy anything from that manufacturer again.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 7, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

wooger posted:

If they’re officially made in Britain, I suspect it’s a reboxing & logo stamping deal rather than actual production of the electronics.

Where did you read the positive reviews?
TechRadar, Soundguys, Whathifi, etc. Basically everything you would find on the first page of Google search results. The Amazon average is also really good - a lot better than it deserves to be, clearly. The 1-star reviews are predictably enough the only ones that actually mention all the same problems that I also have.

I think I'll just invest another 80 bucks and get myself a pair of Sony WF-1000XM3s this time. They're currently almost thirty percent off, I don't think I'm getting a better deal than that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The most negative Amazon reviews report people having the same issues through multiple returns and exchanges in a row, or even developing entirely different issues that are just as bad. Not worth trying over and over in hopes of getting a decent pair, I think - I've already put in for an Amazon return. It's pretty much the best thing about Prime for me, really: I get to do a month-long product test of basically anything and what I don't want I can send back with postage fully covered.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, the volume button works now. No idea what the gently caress is even up anymore. I'm still not keeping the dumb thing.

edit: and now it doesn't.

edit2: and now it does again. Seriously, gently caress all of this.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 7, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That triple-stacked tip on it looks a bit strange. How comfortable is that to wear? It looks long enough that you'd have to insert it partly into your ear canal or something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm personally used to it, I use earplugs (the foam kind) a lot after I got into the habit back in my old college dorm. Just makes for more restful sleep. I was just surprised because I hadn't ever seen earbuds that you're supposed to wear like that. I think I might try those out at some point, I really hate it when environmental sounds intrude on my audio time. Getting right in there and squirting its music right on my brain sounds like it should do the job alright. Not this month, though. I think I've expended my budget for frivolous purchases for a while.

Speaking of, my new Sony WF-1000XM3 arrived today, which have active noise cancelling. It's honestly quite impressive. I'm sitting next to fairly loud fan right now and the moment I started up the management app on my phone and hit the noise cancelling option, it just... went quiet. It's not gone, but it's like I'm hearing it through a set of ear protectors. Way more quiet than it should be for earbuds of that size. They're also far more comfortable and securely seated than I expected them to be from what some of the reviews said. I haven't even put on a larger tip yet (I usually need to) and it barely feels like there's anything wrong.

drat those things are huge, though. Seriously, it doesn't across in the promotional images at all how oversized they feel when you see them in person.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ddogflex posted:

I had the same issue. I used them for a week and ended up returning. I got Sony WF1000XM3 afterwards and had much better luck, their electronics aren't quite as good (their hear thru thing doesn't work nearly as well or easily), but the audio quality is better and they're comfortable without falling out. I've actually never had them fall out and use them all the time, even on my electric scooter going 20mph.
As mentioned further up on the page, I have recently bought a pair of these as well and can confirm. The WF1000XM3s come with a large selection of 12 tips in different materials. The largest size of soft silicon tips is plenty for me and sits very, very solidly. I have to be wildly shaking my head for them to start slipping, and I do mean wildly.

Audio quality is, as mentioned, excellent. The bass is like sex in my ears. I've tried a wide range of true wireless earbuds of the last few months and these are bar none my complete favourite so far. They were worth every cent.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What's a recommended set of memory foam tips with a wide range of compatibility that you can get on Amazon?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Is it normal for headphones to degrade over time? I’ve had a pair of HD 518s for a decade and they just don’t sound good anymore. The pads seem to have lost volume in the past year or so, maybe that is the reason?
Generally speaking, with headphones and loudspeakers it's typically an all-or-nothing affair: it either works or it gives up the ghost entirely. A slow loss of audio quality over time isn't something you see very often. If the foam padding of the headphones has started to give out, then you might get a subjectively lower quality due to the reduced isolation from environmental noises and such, but that's just me guessing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That sounds encouraging, the pads do seem a little bit deflated. And now to find someone that will ship to my country :sigh:
I can get them here and I might be willing to work something out with you, if you're willing to Paypal me up-front. PM me if you're interested.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a recommended wireless earbuds for Android? My wife wants a set, there seems to be a ton of options. I got the Pixel Buds 2 for myself and I'm not overwhelmed by them. It makes me weary of things in that price range, but not sure.

Definitely looking under $200, but not ruling out sub $100 if it's not going to make a functional difference.

Main uses are phone calls and exercising.

Anker vs Amazon Echo vs Jabra vs Google vs Apple vs anyone else?
I have heard good things about the Jabra Elite Active 75t. It's at the upper range of what you're willing to spend, but my only experience with Anker earbuds is getting a pair and then having them desync from each other progressively more often until I had to return them.

If she is planning on doing heavy exercise, she might want a pair of over-ear sport earbuds with a good IPX rating, because even the best-sitting ones normal ones that do not have something extra to hold them in place are still loose enough that they might fall out if she likes to go jogging, for example. The obvious thing happens if you jostle a true wireless earbud too much, so there's a risk of losing them. It depends, though. Like, if she just plans to do machine exercise in a gym, this is not a concern.

If you want something that is cheap, good and reliable, I can warmly recommend the Soundpeats TruEngine SE earbuds for under 50 dollars. They're the by far best earbuds in that price range I've ever owned, and I've tried out well over ten different types and brands over the last few months. They last five to six hours easily, recharge up to four times, and the audio quality is very good for the price. They sit very well and secure and the manufacturing quality is impeccable. I actually bought a second pair because I liked them so much.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 22, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you're cool with the semi-wired option, I can recommend the Taotronics Soundelite 72 (tt-bh027) sports earbuds. They've got a battery life of a cool eight hours (personally confirmed) and come with little silicon ear wings that keep the buds in place no matter how much you're moving. Great for sports of any kind. Also, the drivers are really big and have excellent sound quality and base.

For 32$ on Amazon, it's a great deal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Baby Proof posted:

What happens after the fourth time you recharge it?
Then you have to recharge the recharging box in which you keep the earbuds or they don't charge no more.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I like being able to have my fan running even when I listen to music, but without constantly hearing it in the background, so there's a real-world scenario that might give you an idea of what isolation is good for. Active noise cancelling has been a godsend to me.

literally this big posted:

Hello thread. I'm looking for a set of wireless earbuds for use at the gym and such with my Google Pixel. I don't have a specific budget in mind, I'm just looking for a quality set of buds that'll last me a long time. What're the go-to goon recommendations? Thanks!
Again, I heartily recommend the Soundpeats TruEngine SE true wireless earbuds. They're fifty dollars or less, last for five to six hours, and they have very good audio for what they cost. They'll last you a while, I assume - I've been using mine on a literally daily basis for six months now and I've experienced no loss of quality or battery life. They've also dropped to the floor more than a few times and came away from it without any damage. It's a good pair of earbuds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Googling shows that those are usually 70$ buds, so you got a really good deal there. At 70$, inoffensive to good is definitely what I would expect even out of cheap Chinese earbuds, which are (I definitely agree) not exactly always bad to begin with.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's a bit much. I wouldn't feel ripped off at $50 though.

e: oh hey they're $40 with a coupon for 10 bucks off on amazon so.... still $30? Big recommendation from me at that price: https://www.amazon.com/TRANYA-Bluetooth-Compatible-Headphone-Cancellation/dp/B07V2GPS8C

Definitely expect to replace the tips though, I didn't find any that worked for me in the box.
Ah, the manufacturer website shows a price of 69.99$, so I suppose that might have been a bit misleading: https://www.tranya.com/b530-pro-true-wireless-earbuds-p0025.html

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Since neither of us seem to have tried both, it would be hard to say. In terms of features, they're both very basic models. The Tranyas claim to have up to ten hours of playtime on a single charge, though, which is a hell of a lot. I've never seen another true wireless earbud that comes close to this. Even the best pair I own maxes out at eight hours. Maybe Dr. Fishopolis could chime in on how truthful that is.

Otherwise, I suppose one difference is that the TruEngine SE have proper buttons, not touch interfaces. I personally tend to prefer that. Touch controls are finicky and I never quite know what I actually entered until something happens.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, if you ever do push the battery life, do tell us about it, please. I wouldn't mind owning a pair of earbuds that can actually last an entire day without pauses for charging. Too bad they're almost twenty dollars more expensive in my country and Amazon.com won't ship them here. For 30$, it really sounds like a steal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe an alternative to memory foam would be worth trying? I received these soft-silicon tips with my recent purchase of a Sony WF-1000XM3 and I've come to really like them. They adjust very well to the ear shape, because the material is much soft than that of standard earbud tips, but they're also much thicker, which means that ambient noise is blocked far better. Not as well as with memory foam tips, but it's very solid and I get the impression that these will basically last forever if you treat them well.

The only problem is that I don't really know what they're specifically called, but someone else here will be able to help with that I'm sure.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, of Comply isn't working for you, maybe try these for Shure, which is a quality manufacturer: https://www.amazon.com/Shure-EABKF1-10M-Sleeves-Included-Earphones/dp/B0015PN3X0?th=1

They should fit any standard earbuds. I own a pair of Shure DJ headphones and they're top.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ah, alright then. Sorry, but the term 'olives' didn't really mean anything to me and I couldn't find it on searching.

In my personal experience, tips of many different brands and sizes work on many different earbuds if you're just willing to fiddle and force it a bit, so hey, it might be at least worth giving it a shot.

edit: Boy do I know better now. Those really, absolutely don't fit on anything except the model of headphone they are made for. Do not buy if you do not have Shure headphones that are made to work with these. The stems are made of a very hard rubber that will not stretch the way most other tips I've owned would, which just makes using them for anything else impossible.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 1, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Would someone mind giving me a short breakdown of what amps and DACs do for you? I am mostly still pretty new to the whole audio thing, but I'm interested in improving my home experience if that can do me as much good as people are implying it would.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks, I can see how I would benefit from that. I've noticed issues with both volume and dissonant background noises in my PC audio, depending somewhat on which jack I use. I think I'll put that on the list of future purchases, then.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'll take some time to read through the thread for what might be best for me, then. My current system is a bit more than merely "well-aged," as it were. I've managed to keep it working with modern requirements due to some fine-tuning and the occasional small upgrade, but the MB itself is ten-plus years old at this point. "Modern" is not how I'd describe it anymore and it is starting to show.

Thanks for all the tips.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Any other preferences? Touch or button? Is she fine with semi-wired (earbuds connected with each other)? Do they need have any water resistance? Does she plan to do any sports with them? There's a lot of variety on the market right now and under 100$ is a very wide range.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Llamadeus posted:

560S (new, but supposedly a class above as well).
Currently out of stock on the Sennheiser homepage, so it might be a bit hard to get. 200$ is a very affordable price for a quality pair of headphones like that, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Just looking at the specs compared to the price, I think you could do better. 260$ is about the same as what the Sony WF-1000XM3 cost, which come with active noise cancelling, configurable touch controls, their own software (which gets regular regular updates both app- and firmware-side) and better overall battery life. Not seeing anything about an IPX rating either, although they both have that in common. Can't speak to the audio quality, but my WFs are excellent and the Grados would be pretty hard-pressed to do better.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's possible. They do look basically identical to a number of cheap Chinese earbuds I've seen while browsing Amazon, both in terms of how the earbuds themselves are shaped and in how the charging case looks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Anker earbuds give a warning on Amazon that they're explicitly not compatible with the iPhone 11 and up. I don't know which one that is, since I'm an Android user, but if you specifically want them for an iPhone then you should probably make sure about that first.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

powderific posted:

?? weird, I have an iPhone 11 Pro with soundcore spirit x 2019 and they work fine. For $30 it's decent enough sound.
I was specifically talking about the Anker Soundbuds Curve that Clark Nova mentioned, so that's probably the reason. Those have a big honking

quote:

Please note: This item is not compatible with the iPhone 11 series

warning at the top of their details. The Soundcore Spirits seem to be fine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hm, there's a different listing for what seems to be the exact same earbuds without that warning, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Well, who knows? :shrug:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Airpods Pro would be an option, they're a completely different kind of shape and much more like standard silicon-tip earbuds than those weird-rear end earpods. They also cost like a two hundred dollars, though, and do you really want to hand those a ten year old? I'd recommend looking at some cheaper alternatives, there are plenty of recommendations for that on the last few pages of the thread.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

Sorry should clarified “are AirPods bad if you hate the feel of the Apple in the box headphones” was my real question.
Yeah, the standard AirPods would be a definite no for her, they're the same basic shape as the earpods Apple ships with their phones. You can just Google image search for it, I'm pretty sure that shape is what you're talking about there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

redeyes posted:

Huh, all the ones I have are actual clicks but its probably specific to the brand. I have 6 pairs of various not good ones though.
Yeah, it's entirely a manufacturer thing. Most of them provide the user manuals on their website for download, so you can just browse for one that has the kind of controls you want and buy that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Take note that the guy explicitly only reviews the audio quality of the earbuds, which is very much not the only thing that is important and that you should probably pay some attention to when it comes to buying true wireless earbuds. Battery life, stability of the connection, fit, water resistance, whether they have touch controls or conventional buttons, compatibility with different devices and operating systems... even if two sets have the same audio quality, one of them might still be pretty measurably worse in every other sense.

w00tmonger posted:

Cambridge audio melomania 1's but I'm not familiar with the brand.
I bought a pair of these a while ago and talked about my experience with it here in the thread. It was only a few pages ago, you can probably still find it. Long story short, they're complete trash and I'm personally convinced that they're just a rebranded Chinese no-name product.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I bought them on the strength of their reputation and I have to say I've rarely been so disappointed with a purchase. I own multiple different types of 25-dollar off-brand Shenzen (basically a type of Chinese shell company that mostly make cheap knockoffs) true wireless earbuds that are as good or better in both audio quality and manufacturing and are much more comfortable to actually wear. Not helping was that one of the earbuds was broken out of the box and had a notable crackle at higher volumes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Whathifi.com rated them five stars and placed them second in their TWS rankings :negative:
Yeah, I read the same review and believed them at the time. In retrospect I can't imagine that they actually used the earbuds for more than maybe half an hour, because the mediocre audio quality and the generally somewhat flat-sounding middle to high ranges become pretty obvious after a while.

One thing I will praise them for is that they were bar none the smallest TW earbuds I've ever owned. The charging box is only minimally larger and thicker than a matchbox, although the trade-off is that the number of recharges it provides in practice isn't anywhere near what the description claims it is. It's maybe half of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I tend to agree. True Wireless headphones are basically the New Big Thing right now and even trash offerings sell a lot better than you'd be able to expect on any established market where savvy and experienced customers know what to look for and can tell a polished turd from quality when they see it. Right now, just getting in on that market is pretty much the only thing a lot of the smaller audio manufacturers care about, because they assume that it's not like anyone will really know the difference. As one can see from how utterly incompetent and basically worthless many of the product reviews tend to be when you actually try the product yourself, they're not really wrong in that assumption either.