Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Welcome to the 4th iteration of the headphone thread! This thread is meant to discuss headphones and all things related. The OP is meant to help guide those who need help, it will never be a definitive guide to what you should and shouldn’t buy because the hobby is very subjective. I will do my best to cover all of the bases, but this will constantly be a work in progress as the audio world frequently changes. With that said, welcome and I hope this is a helpful resource to you!

Glossary

There have already been some great glossaries written, you can view them through this guide or this guide.

Why headphones?

I hear this question more often that I would expect given the huge resurgence in the popularity of headphones. Many people wonder why someone would buy headphones instead of speakers, or invest so much money into them. There are many reasons. Headphones offer a personal experience while either on the go, or while at home. There are many of us who simply can’t have a speaker setup due to space constraints or out of politeness for others that may be affected by the open noise. Some of us travel a lot and need a setup that allows them to block the world out. Headphones are a viable choice for those who want to experience high quality music when we can not enjoy speakers. Chances are, though, that if you’re in this thread then you already know why headphones are a great option for high quality audio.

Types of headphones

There are many types of headphones, no I’m not talking about brands and models, I’m referring to their shape, size, and fit. Let’s take a look:

Earbuds

These are the type of headphones that were included with most portable players until rather recently. Earbuds sit in the ear, but do not enter the ear canal. They act as miniature loudspeakers and since they do not form a seal they not only leak sound, but they let sound in. These types of headphones are going the way of the dodo, but there are a few companies that create quality versions. These are great options for those who would like to have music available to them, but need to be aware of their surroundings.

IEMs

These have taken the space that earbuds once held. This style has become quite popular, so popular in-fact that most portable music players and phones that come with headphones will include these. IEM stands for “in-ear monitor” this means that the tip of the IEM will enter the ear canal, creating a seal. This allows for great isolation from the outside world. There are many shapes and variations of this style, as well as many tip choices such as: gel, silicon and foam. These are great for anyone who wants to block out noise while experiencing high quality music on the go.

Full Size, Supa-Aural

These are the big headphones, the kind that are worn with a band over your head and bigger drivers than earbuds and IEMs. Supra-aural means that the headphone sits on the ear rather than surrounding it. These can come in open or closed variations, with the closed variations generally being the preferred choice for on-the-go full-sized listening.

Full Size, Circumaural

These are the biggest type of headphones, bigger than supra-aural. This is because the pads of the headphones completely surround the ear. These can come in open or closed variations and are generally delegated to home use. The top tier headphones are almost all in this style.

Open or Closed?

This is a popular question from those who are new to the hobby. The easiest way to answer this is by providing us the answer to one question: Do you need high isolation? If you need high isolation then closed headphones are the way to go. You will need high isolation if you share a room or are travelling, high isolation headphones will keep the sound private to you while blocking outside noises. If you’re primary listening will be done in an area where you won’t bother anyone then you don’t need isolation, therefore you can go open. Open headphones, in general, will provide better sound quality than closed variants of the same price. This is largely because of the difficulties when designing the enclosure for the driver.

To amp or not to amp? Do I need a DAC?

This is a very common question that appears here. The answer can be answered rather simply, are your headphones able to go to an acceptable listening level for you? If so then you likely won’t notice a difference with an amp, if you do then you it won’t be huge as many reviewers claim. In my personal experience with many budget amps, the difference tends to be minimal when using my headphones amped and unamped.

How about a DAC? Well as with an amp, I feel that a DAC provides a minimal upgrade in sound quality, assuming that your source is presenting the music with no audible distortion. It’s more complicated than that, but in my experiences the addition of a DAC has been minimal compared to upgrading headphones directly.

If you choose to amp your headphone there are a few articles written by NwAvGuy, the creator of the O2 headphone amp and ODAC. Regardless of what your opinion of the man is, he has great knowledge of how audio works and these are great references as to how to properly amp your headphone. Starting here is the best bet, there are links throughout. The other articles I highly recommend are: Headphone Amp Impedance and More Power. Headphone Amp Impedance explains how the output impedance of an amp effects the sound of your headphones while More Power explains, with a handy chart, how much power your headphone amp needs to output given a specific impedance to reach a desired loudness.

What amp and DAC to buy? Well that’s really up to you. Do you want tubes? How about something with a variety of outputs? Personally I’m a huge fan of the O2 and ODAC, but I recently sold mine for aesthetic reasons to purchase the very capable Schiit Magni/Modi stack. Maybe you’re a bit constrained on money and need an all in one option? Well FiiO is making a lot of great products at affordable prices!

What headphone should I buy?

I thought about creating a catch all list, but the problem with that is that even though there are many great headphones, it’s going to be near impossible to create anything resembling a short list given the vast amount of variables. So how can you figure out which headphones to buy? Well I’ve created a Headphone Buying Guide on Head-Fi which has a huge list of potential headphones to buy. Assuming that you still find yourself lost and want to come here for a more direct and specifically tailored answer then I would ask that you please use this format in your request so those who can help, are able to provide a direct answer without having to ask a bunch of questions:

Budget - We need to know how much you’re willing to spend so we can find suitable headphones in the price range.
Source - What will you be plugging these into? Some headphones do have amp requirements so if your source is an iPod we know not to recommend these.
Isolation Requirements - Do you need isolation?
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM? Over-ear? Etc.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Would you prefer bass heavy headphones? Maybe one focused on vocals? Maybe balanced? Let us know.
Past Headphones - Let us know what you’ve had and what you’ve liked/disliked about them.
Preferred Music - Let us know what you’re listening to.

These questions will allow us to very easily narrow down your selection to a few headphones!

What to Avoid?

Noise Cancelling
In general noise cancelling is a feature that many feel they need, but do not. Noise cancelling is not designed to stop chatter or other sporadic noises. Noise cancelling is designed to stop constant noises such as the hum of a plane, or a bus. Even so, many high isolation options exist that would suit the same purpose without paying the “technology tax” of noise cancelling.

Bose, Beats, Monster and Skullcandy
In general these companies put out products that aren’t worth their price tag. They are popular companies that spend huge budgets on advertising and pride themselves on their name, not their quality. These companies do have great products so this rule is not hard and fast, but in general be wary of their products and do plenty of research to make sure you’re not getting a really poor quality item.

Cables and other nonsense
This is a hot topic amongst enthusiasts many believe that expensive cables, power supplies and other nonsense truly enhance their sound. Don’t buy into it. If it sounds too good to be true, then it is. There have been many cases shoddy products put out in-order to make a quick buck off of those who are either consumed by the hobby, or believe in magic. If you’d like to upgrade your cables for appearances or durability, that is a viable upgrade, but don’t expect the sound to change. There are many audiophooleries that make shoddy/dangerous products aimed at making a quick buck. Stick with common sense and you’ll be okay.

I’ve got the upgrade itch, where to next?

This is a great question, in general an upgrade in headphones will offer the biggest return on investment, assuming you meet the amplification requirements for them. I believe that headphones should be the number one upgrade in almost every case, but remember that sometimes it’s best to “enjoy the roses” as they say. Remember we’re purchasing this equipment in order to enjoy music, so let’s enjoy the music!

Resources

Joker’s multi IEM review
ClieOS’ multi IEM review
Mad Lust Envy’s Gaming Headphone Guide
Headphone.com for it’s graphs and information
Innerfidelity for reviews and graphs
WugLyfe's Informative post on sound

Midorka fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

grack posted:

I very strongly disagree with lumping Monster under the "avoid" tag. They no longer make Beats and the only really poor product in their current lineup are the Jamz. Everything else is good to excellent.

Good compared to what though? You're still paying more because Monster heavily markets their headphones, advertising fees and the Monster name get rolled into the prices of their headphones. There are plenty of companies that make excellent headphones without the huge advertising budgets, with headphones at a fraction of the cost of Monster.

Skullcandy shouldn't really be lumped there anymore either, their good/bad quality product ratio is likely to be close to any headphone manufacturer these days, but overall they do put out some junk.

As for Klipsch, nothing outside of the X10 should really be considered, from what I've read in reviews/word of mouth. I tried the S4i and $50 headphones sound better than them. Even then though, Heir Audio is putting out incredible IEMs near the same price of the X10.

And again, this is why there will never be a recommendations spot in the OP.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

Noise bleed is a not a concern, as I have my own office with a door. However, some form of noise cancelling provided by supra-aural or circum-aural is a must as I want to filter out the lower level general office drone (computers, printers, etc.). Earbuds are out as I previously had some Shure E2Cs that I couldn't wear for more than an hour at a time due to comfort issues.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Noise bleed and isolation go hand in hand. Anything that offers good isolation will drown out the hum that you mention, especially while the music is playing. Since you like the HD558 I'm thinking you'd probably like the Brainwavz HM5. The Creative Aurvana Live would probably be a good bet too.

As for the gaming headphones question, check the link at the bottom of the OP.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Silvain posted:

You guys know of a pair of closed headphones that sound similar to the AKG K501's? There's just too much environment noise due to computer fans and the A/C fans on the building next to ours to enjoy the 501's. I've tried EQ'ing my Denon 2000's but I can't get it to sound as good as the AKG's with classical and acoustic.

Basically, are there any closed headphones that have a wide soundstage with an emphasis on the mids around $200 or so?

The KAM HP1 will be your best bet. I've not heard a closed headphone with the imaging and soundstage capabilities and level of detail that these have.

Mathturbator posted:

I’ve got a pair of Audio Technica M50 that I drive using either my Macbook Pro, 2013 Mac Mini or iPod/iPad, using Spotify or iTunes. Music is mostly electronic and metal. I really like these cans, but I wanted to try some decent open backs and I have now got a pair of AKG K702’s incoming.

It’s impossible to read about headphones without stumbling upon the need for a DAC and/or an amplifier, and people seem to think that the K702’s profile especially need some bass boosting (for the music I listen to anyway).

I’d like to experiment a bit with achieving better sound quality, so I might look into lossless formats and such. I’m going to listen to the K702’s for a while without anything extra, but where should I look if I want to improve or spice things up a bit?

What’s my weakest link at the moment? Are the DAC in the MBP/Mac Mini of a decent quality? Would an amplifier improve things noticeably, or would it be a waste of money considering the music quality of Spotify and/or iTunes?

If you want a cheap all-in-one option the FiiO E07k is an upgrade of the classic E7. The device features a clean DAC and amp with bass boost capabilities that only distorted on level 3 when I had the E7.

@Ernutetnoiraud It sounds like you want the HD600. You can find them used on Head-Fi for under $300. If you wind up not liking them then you can sell them back for no/minimal loss.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I don't know if I posted about it here, but a few weeks ago I was solicited about reviewing Mad Scientist Audio's Can Openers. I have received the full line and am now trying to figure out how to determine whether these are bullshit or not. I don't think it will be possible to do a double blind test on the ones for headphone use on me, as I'll notice the added weight. I received a pair that goes on your amp/DAC so that I can do a double blind test with the help of my girlfriend. I'm planning on running a double blind test on her though, but she can't really discern good from bad. I won't tell her what I'm doing at all, I'm going to have her close her eyes and let me know if she notices any better sound.

I'm 99% sure these are bullshit, I see no way these could do anything, but these were free so I have no risks. If anything I can act as a PSA to warn others.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There's no way these aren't complete bullshit.

Agreed with you and Grack. Believe me I'm the biggest anti-audio bullshit person in the world. These were free though and in the worst case I get to expose them, in the worst case they somehow have fairies in them that make things sound wonderful somehow. I know they are bullshit, but I'm going to do my best to review them fairly.

Y2JMatrix94 posted:

Alright so I'm in the market for headphones and I THINK I know what I'm looking for but honestly I need some help.

Budget - $150
Source - Computer/iPad/iPhone
Isolation Requirements - I don't think so. I travel on a plane at most 4 times a year.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I want clarity, I'd like to hear each instrument if possible. I like bass but I don't need my head blown off.
Past Headphones - I own a pair of $20 Sennheiser's with a cable that's WAAAAY too long and they sound OK. Other then that I listened to some Beats at an Apple Store :/
Preferred Music - Rock predominately. Classic, and new. Metal.

I've heard V-Moda's are good but I've never been able to listen with them.

I've never heard the V-Moda, but I've heard good things. I don't know about how they suit your genres though. The first thing that comes to mind that I can personally recommend are the Creative Aurvana Live. Since you're going to use them for travel, even though rarely, these should suit you for every aspect. Definitely read up on the V-Moda though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I appended it to the resources section, though once it gets archived many of us won't be able to view it. I wish that SA forums allowed for nested spoilers instead of a black censor.

Edit: I can link to your post, duh.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hey, Midorka, the new OP doesn't warn users off of Beats. Is that intentional? In other words, did they start making some headphones that are not terrible? Their reputation online seems terrible.

I kind of lumped them in with Monster, but good call. I'll fix that.

@Wug, thanks for another good post.

As for M6, they are the best quality/price ratio for exercise IEMs you will find.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

japtor posted:

This is sort of related to the exercise headphones question I guess (particularly earbuds/IEMs). Is there a way to prevent cable noise other than ear loops, and/or are there other designs/materials that can get around it or is it just kind of inherent because of the general earbud design of cables going straight to your ears?

The only way is to stop the vibrations before they get to the IEM. This can be done by a cable cinch, included on most IEMs, or by wearing over ear.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Dillweed posted:

Hey, Midorka, I notice you say in the OP that you had the O2 and now the Magni. Did you have a chance to compare them or notice anything that was better on one over the other? I have a pair of low impedance headphones and I'm trying to find as "transparent" of an amp as I can. The best I've found is a brief comparison of the two saying that the Magni isn't as artificial-sounding and doesn't constrain the soundstage compared to the O2, but not much else.

I didn't directly compare them because I sold my O2 right as I got my Magni and was about to ship it out. The Magni is larger and looks much nicer. As for the sound, they both sound clean and don't change my headphones. As for the other mumbo jumbo I couldn't tell a difference, nothing glaring for sure.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

Hey remember when you got all goon lord on me for getting my Schiit rig when I noted that I liked the aesthetics? Pretty sweet of you do the same thing a few months later, bro. Glad to hear you got over your super principled dislike of the company!

Yup, you're right. I'm eating my words. To be fair, when I had my attitude towards them it was still relatively recent after they had the relay problems that they denied and it was damaging headphones. They did a great job replacing the relays though and they also released the Modi and Magni which is priced incredibly cheap. I doubt they're making a big profit. It doesn't hurt that I'm in direct contact with Jason, the owner of Schiit, and he's a real stand-up guy. I'm eating my words now though.

Edit: You should probably stop the sarcastic onslaught though.

@dillweed: Definitely get a Magni, you'll need to buy your own RCA cables though.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 10, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

grack posted:

I... have to agree. This thread is two pages in and I've already had two people jump up my rear end in a top hat for daring to state that *gasp* Monster has some good quality products that shouldn't be overlooked.

Hey man, I admit Monster does make some good products. The Turbines are in the headphone buying guide. I should add the Tribute as well as I've heard nothing but praise. I'll do so when I get home. There's a lot that goes into me adding a new headphone to the list though so keep that in mind. On the whole though their products are overpriced.

Dillweed posted:

I decided to look into the two amps a bit more. Supposedly the Magni might not be a great pairing with sub-30Ω/really sensitive headphones because of the single gain setting? It also ends up around the same price as an assembled O2 to get it shipped across the border. Hrmm... :shrug: Guess I'll do a little more checking before I commit to something.

edit: Actually, if you're willing to drop the source (in my case sound card) volume control, you can probably still get a proper volume adjustment on the Magni. What effect that has on the resulting sound compared to having the source at 100%, I don't know.

I've used it with my Ad2000, 32ohms, with no problems. I'll try IEMs tonight to let you know how they are with the Magni.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I can't wait to hear Midorka's opinion of the Asgard 2. I am about to get some serious low impedance iems and am considering getting one to go with them. My current amp has output impedance higher than the impedance of my new custom ten driver iems, so I figure that can't be good...

Will do! I'm not sure when Jason is sending that out. I'll e-mail him tomorrow! As for output impedance, if there isn't a buffer then you're going to get odd frequency response issues. If you have 16ohm IEMs you want an amp with 2ohms output or less, always divide by 8. Read this article about it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

They make Comply Tips, drat near the same.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'm not good at explaining it, in-fact I really can't, but 94dB sensitivity is not very sensitive. My Audio Technica Ad2000 are 40 ohms and 102dB sensitive and I have no problems using my Magni with it. I have the volume around 9 or 10 o'clock. From my understanding 94dB is significantly harder to drive. Basically your headphones will need more power to reach the same loudness that my Ad2000 are. Here's a quick run down:

The O2/Magni can only send a certain amount of power given the amount of headphone resistance (ohms). Fortunately the scale for power to resistance doesn't shoot up very fast, meaning the Magni will send nearly the same amount of power to an 80ohm headphone that it will to a 32ohm headphone. It's not the same, but it's close enough to not really worry. What matters is sensitivity. If you look at the chart here you'll see that your Fostex would need almost 10 times more power than my Ad2000 to reach the same loudness. The Magni and O2 can easily give more than enough power to make them plenty loud. Your Fostex require more power to reach their sound so you'll actually turn the knob to the right more than I would need.

I hope that makes sense, I just woke up. I will be home tonight to try my IEMs with my Magni though.

Edit: And to see how much output impedance can effect the sound, read this, or at least look at the graphs.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 11, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

My 2 cents on the two:

I've owned both, sort of, though not at the same time. I currently own the SR80i though. You can read my review here. I meant to write "king" instead of "kind" in the title. I have never reviewed the CAL or owned them, but I did have extensive use with the Denon D1001, which use the same drivers. The Grado SR80i are excellent budget headphones and you can see my opinion on them in the review. The D1001 have more bass presence, by a large amount, without being overbearing. They hold a special place in my mind as one of the most musical headphones I've ever heard. By that I mean you simply put them on and enjoy anything that you play through them.

Neither is better, but I feel the Denon D1001 are the better all arounder. The CAL! are said to be a direct upgrade over the D1001 in build quality and sound because better housing.

As for soundstage, it means how the sound is presented. Something with a small soundstage would sound as if you were at a small concert with the speakers close together. A wide soundstage would expand upon that, if that makes sense.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 11, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

If you don't need isolation then I think the SR80i is the best choice under $100 for you.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Not necessarily and as much as I absolutely love the Ad700, I don't feel they suit your needs.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I prefer the Creative Aurvana Live, Kam HP1, Brainwavz HM5, or Sennheiser HD25-II over the M50.

Using the Schiit Magni/Modi with my Fischer Tandem and it sounds great. Then again these are 36 ohms, but 105dB sensitivity, about the same as my Ad2000 so that's probably not too helpful. I'll see if I can find a 16 ohm IEM, though I suspect it'll be fine with this.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Protons posted:

The higher the impedence on a pair of headphones, the more likely you will need to use an amplifier, correct?

Not necessarily. Sensitivity is important too. Amps can output less power as a headphones impedance goes up, but if they have high sensitivity (shown as ###dB/mW) then they will need less power to reach X dB level. It's a bit confusing, but in general you should probably consider an amp with a headphone at 300ohms or higher and any inefficient headphone, something with less than 95dB/mW.

That's just the simple of it though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Hey goons, I'm selling my ODAC in the SA Mart.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

TomR posted:

Why are you selling the ODAC? I just bought one, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I need some cables for my Sennheiser HD 580s. They have the original cable for $25 on Amazon, but won't ship to Canada. Anyone know where I can get a reasonable headphone cable for a decent price? I keep finding $150+ hand made magic moon cables when I search.

I bought a Schiit Modi and Magni stack because I prefer the aesthetics of it to the O2 and ODAC. Sound wise they both sound the same to my ears.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

You can get the HD650 for less than $300 used on Head-Fi.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

It's driver flex. Some IEMs do that but it's no problem.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Yuin makes some earbuds that are in that range. I've heard good things about them.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

KillHour posted:

"Burn in" isn't a real thing when you're talking about speakers/headphones. If your headphones sound different after using them, you broke something.

That's not true at all. I've listened to more headphones than most people have seen in real life and can promise you that some headphones benefit from being used. Grado SR80i aren't one of them, but some do. Whether it be the pads softening and creating a better seal or the drivers themselves changing, it happens.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'm not an audio engineer, so I don't know the science or mechanics behind it. The headphones that I've experienced this with have almost all been balanced armature drivers. I've experienced bass going from distorted to clean and punchy while the highs go from shrill/distorted to bright but not distorted. My only guess is that the high and low frequencies put more stress on a driver than the mids, or the lows and highs simply show more distortion if a diaphragm is in its infancy. I know for a fact that I've experienced it though, but as I said almost exclusively in BA IEMs. Full-sized headphones I've heard very little changes, I attribute them mostly to my brain getting use to the sound, but I know for a fact that I've experienced a big change in sound when stiff pads break in, such as the Audio Technica Ad900.

I believe that most full-sized headphones are tested for quality/consistency before sent out, perhaps many IEMs aren't? Especially with so many new/small companies. If that were the case the diaphragm would possibly be too tight to allow for the air to naturally push out without problems. Once it has some flex to it, from use, it changes. Just speculation though.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 24, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

Just got my pair of NVX XPT100 in the mail. Loving them so far!

Glad my review helped you.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

movax posted:

Audio-Technica ATH-CK100, am I making a horrible over-priced decision? I have Etymotic MC3s right now, had Shure e2cs in the past. Looks like a few models around that range...JVC, Sony, Shure SE535, etc. Could go full audiophile-nerd and checkout 1964EARS too I guess.

Some of the Monster buds look pretty bad-rear end as well (Miles David trumpet edition) but I'd feel really silly buying Monster.

I've never heard them, but I would really like to hear them. I've heard a lot of good things about the CK100, IIRC though they aren't heavy on the bass. That may be the CK10 though.

I have a pair of Heir Tsar 350, they are quite good also, but I would still absolutely love to try those Audio Technicas. I'm a huge fan of the company, especially the Ad series, I had the Ad700, and 900 and have the 2000. I love their quality of sound, so I'd love to hear their IEMs.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 30, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

enojy posted:

I'm looking for a well-regarded set of replacement tips for my IEMs! Ideally, nothing beyond the $10 - $15 range (I'm sure the price point can go much higher than that.) I've finally worn out the pair that came with my Nuforce NE-700M's; they now tend to break their seal and slip out of my ear with ease.

Check out the Sony Hybrid tips.

Apotheosis posted:

Budget: Up to $100 US, though I could push to $150 if I need to.

Source: iPhone 4S, maybe PC speakers.

Isolation Requirements: None.

Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-ear, but I'm willing to try IEMs.

Preferred Tonal Balance: I don't have a preference.

Past Headphones: Mostly crap from skullcandy. My current headphones are a pair of Sony MDR-PQ3s I bought at Target on clearance, mostly because they were $20 and yellow. The foam bit on the right speaker is starting to come apart so I figure it's time for a replacement or even an upgrade.

Preferred Music: Rock, metal, electronic/techno, hip-hop.

I've been browsing this thread and making note of what you guys recommend. The ATH-CKM500s by Audio Technica caught my eye, even though they're IEMs. I keep trying IEMs but they slip out of my ears and/or get all gunked up, and I don't think they sound as good as a pair of over-ear headphones. But by that same token, my only experience with IEMs has been cheap poo poo made to look like its quality. I'm definitely willing to try IEMs one more time, especially if they're really good.

One thing to note is that I have a big head so a lot of over-ear headphones just don't fit me that well. Amazon has a pair of my old MDR-PQ3s for $25, in black, so if all else I can go back to a proven design.

The CKM500 are decent, but with the duo-flanged tips I found the highs to be rolled off. Others claim they have a v-shape, but I didn't experience that. I think they're good IEMs that can be found for $50 or less. You could get them and the Grado SR60i for $150 and have the best of both worlds.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

crazyfish posted:

Budget - Under $300.
Source - Headphone output of a Marantz 2240 receiver and the headphone output of my Thinkpad (would consider an amp/DAC to correct this as long as it works with Linux). Vinyl, cassette, and digital are all in play.
Isolation Requirements - I have an air conditioner in my apartment about 5-6 months out of the year that makes it hard to listen to anything but loud, constant-ish level music on my main speaker setup; anything with strong dynamics is pretty much thrown out the window.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear. Prefer open because I don't like complete sound isolation at home.
Past Headphones: Currently have a set of Sennheiser HD555s at work which I love, albeit they're no longer being made. My current home pair is a set of HD497s that are borderline falling apart, and their sound pales in comparison to the 555s and I want to step up my home listening setup. I've heard of the 558 as the successor but I haven't heard anything specific about how they compare. I've tried the HD280s in the past and found them extremely uncomfortable; they make me feel like that exploding head GIF from Story of Ricky is about to happen on my skull.

In terms of what I'll be using them for, I listen to practically everything. lovely pop, rap, rock, funk, classical, jazz, harsh noise, techno, hell, even the occasional country tune. I don't know if any set of headphones would be ideal for all of these and more, but I definitely don't want some bass-centric monster unless I'm in a rap phase (and even then I'll probably make do).

I tend to sit on purchases for a long time before I make them (especially pricey ones like this) so it'll probably take me a long time to actually pull the trigger even if I know what I want. Any assistance would be appreciated.

edit: At some point, I'm probably going to buy some kind of new DAC for my laptop anyway as I'll be using it for music production as well, so consider that too I guess.

If you enjoy the HD555 I believe the next logical step would be the HD650. You can find a used pair for under $300. The stipulation with these is that you're going to only power them to their potential through your receiver until you purchase an amp and DAC for the laptop.

Conversely, you could get the Sennheiser HD558 and foam mod them, which essentially turns them into the HD598 without the color/fake wood burl.

Another option, that I'm quite partial to, would be the Audio Technica Ad900x. They are brighter and have quicker decay than the HD555 though, so they might not have the weight/impact on some notes that you like about the HD555. They are easy to drive though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Iamthegibbons posted:

I even replaced the headband, which was held together by epoxy at that point due to a lot of falls.

To be fair, I've seen numerous pictures of the Sennheiser HD55X band breaking because of "why the gently caress not?" I've never seen another headphone that just crumbles and falls apart for no reason.

The HD25 are completely replaceable though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Dogen posted:

Unlike the 555->595 version of this, don't the 5x8 series have different drivers now?

I thought that was the case, but a Headfile review checked it out and they use the same drivers.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

grack posted:

Don't worry, you're not an audiophile until you start talking about "black backgrounds", and "emotional clarity" or some other poo poo. "Warm" is a perfectly reasonable way to describe the SE215s.

I thought the term black background was bullshit til I heard my T50rp.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Mad Lupine posted:

Budget - ~$200 CDN (if that matters)
Source - Dedicated Soundcard
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size Super-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Grado 60i, Koss Porto-pro (enjoyed)
Preferred Music - Mostly Rock, Jazz, Prog, but I have an eclectic taste of music so anything goes.

Hey guys, my Grado 60i's are finally biting the dust after 5 years. The wire started the split at the base of the cans and at the Y intersection. I'm willing to upgrade to the SR225i's but I'm worried they'll wear the same way my 60i's did. Anyone have any recommendation for open balanced headphones around that price or should I bite the bullet with the SR225i's?

5 years is a good long time! You have three options: learn to solder and make a new cable, purchase the SR225i, purchase the Audio Technica Ad900x. I see you want Supra-aural, which eliminates the Ad900x, any reason why?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I owned the SR80i and the Ad900 side by side. I couldn't think of anything the SR80i did better than the Ad900 except come off more aggressive. The Ad900 has better lows, better instrument separation, more clear mids, more clear highs, a much wider sound stage and excellent comfort. I still have my SR80i, they're good headphones, but I only use them when I want my ears assaulted.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Mad Lupine posted:

Are the 80s and 225s that comparable? I really want to give the ad900s a shot but with this much on money on the line, and without being able to test them, I'm probably getting the 225s.

Also I know 5 years is really good for headphones as the ones I had before didn't last me half a year. My expectations were higher with these because a review I read said it lasted them 10. I guess I should take that with grain of salt; they probably weren't using them as often as I was mine.

Thanks Midorka!

I think the SR80i sound special, it's as if the sound is being forced into your ear harshly, but in a good way. It's like a punk bands music, there's no finesse, it's just raw. The Sr225i try to be a more balanced headphone and come off as an inferior version to the AD900 in every way, in my opinion. I owned the SR225i for a month then sold them. I really tried to like them, but they just stink. Looking at the [url=http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=373&graphID[]=353&scale=30]graph for the two[/url] they are about identical. This makes sense since they use the same drivers, so I think the only difference is the pads they provide which on the SR225i put your ears further from the drivers.

My suggestion is to buy the pads used on the SR225i if you want to try that sound, since I'm pretty sure that's the only difference. If you want something better, I suggest the Audio Technica Ad900, or Ad900x.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

The 125 are the least popular of the line, it'd be less of a risk to buy the 225 used and re-sell them for the same price than buy the 125 which would sit on the used forums for a long time if he wanted to sell.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Protons posted:

So, should I get beats? I mean, the OP doesn't really say, and I can get the new Tour 2.0 for $30 off.

Well if that is what you want to subject your ears too...Thanks for a reminder to update the OP.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Did anybody notice the following SA reference on Schiit's Gungnir FAQ? They're obviously goons:

http://schiit.com/products/gungnir

Interesting, I've never seen anyone from there post that I know of...good eye though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I e-mailed Jason, the CEO, about that last night and it's confirmed, he is a good. Though he hasn't posted in a long time.

@protons, while I don't like the name either, they make some great products that look as good as they sound.