Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Are there any preferred solutions to reduce volume in line? With either set of headphones that I have (Audio technica m-50x and hifiman re-400) my phone output is too loud on anything but the two lowest settings. The same thing happens if I connect directly to my computer's output instead of running it through my speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I accidentally sat on my headphones which destroyed the hinge and somewhat hosed with the internal cable insulation so it's looking like a replacement. I'm also moving some time next month and will probably be leaving my speakers (M-Audio AV-40), so I need something that can be plugged directly into the computer without being way too loud at minimum output. If I have to I suppose I could get a resistor.

Budget - Ideally $150 or less, though I could be convinced to go up to $200
Source - My source is a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD. If that somehow dies the backup source would be the Realtek ALC1220 on my motherboard. If you're wondering why I even have a sound card it was to get microphone input on a previous desktop that had a broken port on the integrated.
Isolation Requirements - For this use case I care more about sound leaking out than in. Open is probably fine as long as it's not audible in the next room over with a closed door.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural (note: I wear glasses)
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. If it's slightly biased I usually will go for slightly more treble focus than bass.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD280 Oh god the clamping was bad with my glasses. I also tended to sweat around the ear pads of this one. I don't remember too much about how these sounded since it's been something like 6 years.

My current set until I sat on it and destroyed the hinge is an Audio-Technica ATH-m40X which was fine in terms of comfort, though the wear of the leatherish coating was bad and I almost would rather it have been the cloth to begin with at that point. My main issue with the set is that I straight up can't plug it directly into my computer since it's too loud even at minimum volume settings. Hell even my phone drove it at a level where I'm usually on the lowest or second lowest volume setting.

Preferred Music - Mostly classical and Broadway

kirtar fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 10, 2021

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the Sennheiser HD 58X would be perfect imo. That's always my go-to tuning for orchestral music.

I went ahead and got these since they also seem good at the price point. Turns out that the volume is just about right at the minimum usable volume setting on my computer (it cuts out below 6%). I probably could have gotten away with higher impedence and/or lower sensitivity, but it's still infinitely more usable than what I had before.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dogen posted:

You might want to check your mixer settings and see if you can turn them down, or your sound card software (if any) to make sure you don’t have some kind of boost for high impedance applied.

I'm trying to decide if this bass/treble dial on the creative console console is supposed to be 50% = baseline or if anything >0 is "boost this digitally" since the default was apparently 50% (I'm leaning towards the latter). Worst case I can tell the EQ to lower global volume.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 14, 2021

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There must be either another output on the card for headphones, or a gain setting in software to fix that. That's way way way too hot, and super not normal.

The only outputs on the card are RCA line/pre-out, mini Toslink, the rear headphone jack, and the connection to the front panel header. Levels on the front/rear ports sound more or less the same. Creative's software for this card isn't exactly great, so I'm not seeing any other gain settings (apart from mentioned above) that I actually have access to change. It's possible that there is some hidden thing about outputting the jack itself adjusting gain, but I'm not seeing any way to change it.

For what it's worth my Galaxy S10E only needs about 25-30% to reach normal listening levels as well so some of this is probably just I listen at relatively low volume.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 14, 2021

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If want more or less desktop volume knob that also offers extension to my rear PC inputs do I just get an amp since the other in-line options seem to just be thumb wheels? I've been using the headphone out on my speakers, but it sounds like the left channel on the jack is screwed up. The front audio header works if the machine is at idle, but if I put any load on the GPU whatsoever (including hardware video decode) it passes noise even though I changed the cable run to be next to the 6+2 connector.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm looking to get a pair of wireless earbuds to listen to lectures or other content while studying on campus or working out. I could in theory get a dongle for my RE400s, but it wouldn't work as well at the gym and I'm trying to at least improve my time utilization.

Budget - $250 at most, ideally under $200
Source - Mostly will be an 11 inch iPad Pro for lectures, though I may have my Galaxy S10E feed them with music while taking breaks
Isolation Requirements - Isolation preferred since the wind gets loud at my apartment which has been an issue with my HD58X
Preferred Type of Headphone - Wireless earbud or IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Probably warm to neutral on these.
Past Headphones - Hifiman RE400: These were generally fine. There was a bit of a QC issue with the cable wrapping, but otherwise worked fine for my wired on the go needs

Sennheiser HD58X: Nice and comfy. Not as clampy as the HD280s, generally easier listening than the ATH m40x, and high enough impedance that I don't have to run at minimum volume all of the time.

Audio Technica ATH M40X: These were generally fine with two main complaints. The first is that I don't like the earpad material since it always flakes off. The other was that I had to run nearly minimum volume even on my phone, but this might have partially been an issue of Samsung defaulting it to only like 16 step volume control.

Sennheiser HD280: clampy clamp clamp clamp.

Preferred Music - Classical and Broadway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

trem_two posted:

I think either the Sony WF-1000XM4 or the Jabra 85t Elite would fit the bill. They're both very good true wireless IEMs, and I think they'd suit your use cases well. The differences between the two:

- The Sonys will be at the very extreme of your price range, and you might need to wait for a periodic sale to get it at $250. The Jabras are frequently available for under $200.
- They both have excellent active noise cancelling and apps to apply EQ, apply use mode presets, test the effectiveness of the tips you're using, etc.
- The Sony set sounds better to me in almost every capacity, but not to extraordinary degrees. The Sonys do have better bass control, tonality, and detail retrieval, while the Jabras are a bit more relaxed by comparison but still very good and easy to listen to for hours.
- You might need to do some serious EQ to make the Sonys sound appropriate for classical, they're very bassy/punchy and tuned for "excitement" out of the box, but I've been able to EQ my way down to something much more neutral that sounds great to me.
- The Jabras are far more comfortable to me, and a lot of people complain about the comfort of the Sonys. In addition to the physical fit, the Jabras are open backed by design to prevent the "suction" effect that can happen with wireless IEMs, and it makes a massive difference in long term comfort to me.
- The Jabras can pair to two devices at the same time, which is honestly really convenient to me for watching videos and music listening across my phone and computer within the same timeframe.
- The Sonys can use the "superior" LDAC bluetooth codec on Android devices that support it, but tbh I haven't noticed an audible difference between LDAC and the AAC codec used when my non-LDAC devices pair with them.
Apparently Costco carries the Jabras which is tempting. I did just notice that they call their eartips EarGels which I thought was a Klipsch thing.