Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Please recommend me headphones.

Isolation Requirements I sit in an open office with 10 other people and i don't want to hear my officemate's disgusting coffee slurping, food/gum chewing, constant mumbling to themselves while reading, constant foot and pen tapping... I want it all gone.

Budget Ideally $150, but $200 is possible if justified. I can maybe go up to $250 if the difference between $150-$200 and $250 is "I can still hear my disgusting officemates but it's more muted" vs "holy poo poo it's like I'm sitting alone in a sound isolated room."

Preferred Type of Headphone Comfortable for ~8 hours of daily use. Also closed, so I don't bother my office with my lovely music.

Source Directly to my laptop at work and possibly my iPhone.
Preferred Tonal Balance Don't know. Don't care?
Preferred Music Little bit of everything but at work mostly random electronic mixes (mostly house) from Soundcloud. But also rap, indie, folk, pop, and occasionally the "two dudes talking" type podcasts.

Past Headphones Right now I'm using Brainwavz HM5. They're ok, and I think this thread recommended them at some point when they were on sale. They're a bit tight for my big head I think and get pretty uncomfortable. I'm wearing them now and I can hear myself typing (which is fine). I can also hear the guy about 4 ft from me slamming his keyboard and slurping his coffee.

I really don't give a poo poo about sound quality and audio tone or whatever. As long as I can plug it in and hear music and it doesn't sound like I'm listening to music in a wind tunnel it's fine. My #1 priority is not hearing my officemates disgusting habits, and being able to wear them for ~8 hour days comfortably. Wireless would be cool, but I could go either way. Also I don't think I specifically need active noise canceling headphones because I'm not sure if they'll work for the type of noise I want to cancel out, but I'm sure some headphones are padded differently and can passively reduce outside noise better?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I can also suggest these Shure IEMs for the "blocking out my annoying coworkers" crowd.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones/se-earphones/se215-sound-isolating-earphones

"Only" $99 on Amazon.

To put it into perspective I sit literally right next to a window and I like to keep it open if it's not too cold out. It also rains a ton here and there's been a few times that I glance over to look outside only to see the weathers gone from cloudy to full on raining.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are triple flange tips really THAT much better for blocking out sound? I'm considering buying a pack of them for my SE215s but reviews also say they "lose their shape" really fast which sounds like a terrible thing.