Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I very strongly disagree with lumping Monster under the "avoid" tag. They no longer make Beats and the only really poor product in their current lineup are the Jamz. Everything else is good to excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Midorka posted:

Good compared to what though? You're still paying more because Monster heavily markets their headphones, advertising fees and the Monster name get rolled into the prices of their headphones. There are plenty of companies that make excellent headphones without the huge advertising budgets, with headphones at a fraction of the cost of Monster.

The Gratitude, Turbines and Nergy are all very competitive IEMs at their current street price.

Edit: The Miles Davis Trumpet as well.

grack fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 5, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Midorka posted:

Can Openers

Okay, these really sound like something that should be on Machina Dynamica. The entire website is just one gigantic piss take.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

So nobody has a recommendation for non-poo poo exercise earbuds? At this point I'm pretty sure whoever told me to buy the M6P was secretly trying to punish me for my past posting misdeeds.

I've used M6Ps as workout buds for two years, and I gave my sister a pair last Christmas for running and capoeira. The build quality actually stands up quite well to abuse.

As for the memory wire, well, you only have to figure it out once.

If you're truly not happy with them, you can try the JVC Riptidz, Monster iSport series or something from H2O audio.

grack fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 7, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Um... we kinda need to know where you are?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Etymotic has a partnership with ACS for doing custom tips for headsets. I think it's ~$150 + molds, but you're guaranteed to get tips made for Etymotic 'phones.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

is there anything that is more expensive but has a better remote function? the m6p is just an external slider, not a integrated control like on past remotes I have used. I don't mind spending more on something I'll be using drat near everyday

There are a few Monster iSport headphones with Control Talk modules. A little overpriced, perhaps, but they go on sale regularly and reviews are generally positive.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I... have to agree. This thread is two pages in and I've already had two people jump up my rear end in a top hat for daring to state that *gasp* Monster has some good quality products that shouldn't be overlooked.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

dB Logic EP-100 with Shure foam tips. Cheap, very small, very comfortable.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

cigani posted:

Yes. I don't want to have to go to an earologist to get my ears fitted. I just want them to be comfortable. Do they make headphones out of tempurpedic foam?

The headphones I mentioned about plus these - http://www.amazon.com/Shure-EABKF1-...shure+foam+tips

It's self-expanding foam, you compress it with your fingers, put it in your ears and it expands to fill the ear canal. Kind of like foam ear plugs, but you can listen to music through these. The passive noise isolation should be more than enough to drown out the background at moderate listening volumes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

cigani posted:

Thanks to you. Youve been very helpful to me in this process. When they invent a good pair of wireless headphones that can last 12-16 hours on a charge please post that in this thread thanks.

sHould I get large medium or small. My ears are average sized. But I am a male. I dont think my ear passage is above normal or less than normal. So medium?

Try the mediums. If your ear canals are small (like mine are) they should still fit, you'll just have to squish them a bit more.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Umm.... no. I really have no idea how to judge.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dillweed posted:

Alllrighty, I've been going a little loopy over the past day trying to figure out if I should buy or actually need to get a new amp for my new headphones. I know you guys basically said the Magni should be fine (although I don't know if the gain's too much for ~94 dB/mW headphones or if that's fine), but I actually still have an older amp with a less-than-ideal output impedance (supposedly ~5 or 6-Ohm versus the headphones' range of ~25-28). I know the ideal ratio's supposed to be around 1:8+, but how badly would it be distorting the sound at an impedance of ~5 Ohms as opposed to the ideal ~3 or less? It sounds a little "off," but I don't know if that's the amp causing issues or if that's just the way the headphones sound.

Okay... what headphones are you using? If we're talking 25-28 ohms impedance you probably shouldn't need an amp to begin with.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dillweed posted:

Err, I mean Fostex. Without the amp in-between, they'd be plugging straight into the line outs on my Titanium HD, which Creative apparently haven't provided impedance specifics for besides "0.01 ohms @ 10K load," and the headphone out's been measured around 36 ohms.

Don't use the line out for driving headphones. Use the headphone jack. The Titanium HD supports headphones up to 330 ohms, you shouldn't need an amp at all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

I have a pair of HD558's driven by the internal amp in my Asus Xonar DGX and I have no complaints regarding the sound. However, I'm going to replace my keyboard that has multimedia controls with a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard, sans multimedia controls. Since the keyboard also serves as my volume control I'm looking for a volume knob. Would I be best served by a headphone amp, and would there be any concerns daisy-chaining it with the amp in my sound card? I assume I can disable the xonar amp.

If you're going to get an external amp you'd likely use the line-out port, not the headphone port.

As for a volume knob, there's gotta be a usb control jig thingy you can get that would cost way less than a desktop amp.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Velodyne V-Pulse and Monster Turbines would probably suit your needs.

Also, don't get caught up in driver size as it relates to output. The JVC FX1X, for example, puts out a poo poo-ton of bass and it has an 8.5MM driver. It's far, far more important to get a proper seal.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You can increase the midrange with software equalization very easily.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

What kind of music do you listen to and what's your price range?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

First thing I'd say is try different tips with the M5, but if that still doesn't help look for headphones with bass heavy or v-shaped sound signatures. If you dislike mid-heavy headphones, analytical or balanced signatures probably won't be to your liking either.

I kind of like this listing, personally - joker's favourites for different signatures and different price ranges: http://theheadphonelist.com/articles/earphone-buyers-guide/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone got any suggestions for foam tips that will fit on Meelectronics a161p? I had been using Sennheiser (or were they Shure?) ones but they don't fit.

Generic memory foam tips you can get off of eBay will fit with no problems. JVC Marshmallow tips will work as well. Shure and Klipsch use much smaller nozzles so don't get those.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Philips makes the O'Neill tread, and it's supposed to be pretty well bulletproof. Doesn't sound very good, unfortunately. Have you considered getting an Altoids tin to use as a headphone case? It's worth slightly modifying a bad habit to save money.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

redeyes posted:

Say what?! It sounds like the driver is being torn in pieces, its not a nice sound in my ear. Also, if I just push on the bud while in my ear it does that rotten crinkling sound.

What do you think?

Try smaller tips. Also, when you insert the headphones pull on the top of your earlobes to stretch out the canal slightly. This can help minimize the air pressure changes that cause driver flex.

Otherwise, yeah - flex is pretty common. Just keep messing with them and you'll figure out a way where it's no longer a problem.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Protons posted:

Do a lot of people use those fIIO amplifiers? It must be a pain to lug around your ipod and that amp with cables running all over just to listen to some Nickleback.

If you're hauling around a backpack or shoulder bag on a commute it's fairly easy. That said, I don't use any type of external DAC/amplifier because my phone (Optimus G) has excellent output already.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

I'm a bit late but how much of an improvement are these over , say, double flange tips? I have double flange tips on my Jlab J4s which are my commuter pair, but the double flanges never stay in and I have to angle them right to get the full seal (and effectively, bass.) IEMs staying in the ear is kind of important when you're on the go.

Sounds like you need larger tips. Foam will seal a little better and, at least for some people, be more comfortable. Isolation should be about the same.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

What's the best way to get my Grado SR80i sound into an IEM for under $100?

A pair of igis ? VSonics ?

I am going to catch some poo poo for this one, but take a good look at a pair of Monster Ncredible Nergy V2s. Deep, punchy bass, smooth midrange and treble that carries a ton of energy and sparkle without being harsh. I haven't tried any Vsonics but for what it's worth, I found the iGis intolerably harsh despite the pair I listened to having something like 200 hours on it.

redeyes posted:

So the recommendation for the Vpulse earbuds.. goddamn dudes. Those things hit my ears harder than my in-house 12" Blue Sky subwoofer. It's absolutely insane how transparent these buds are for my tastes. They can dip LOW like 25-30hz and no problem, rattle my loving fillings out, and then go to slut-banging metal and even nice sweet jazz and all of it sounds very natural and full bodied and wonderful.

Glad they worked out for you. To think, there are still people who claim that IEMs can't do visceral, head-banging bass.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Any reason why you wouldn't look at the Ety E4S as an upgrade? Not that the CK100 is bad by any means but it's not a flat response headset.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Budget: 100 Euro max.

Source: iPod Touch 3G, Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini.

Isolation Requirements: Preferable.

Preferred Type of Headphone: IEMs.

Preferred Tonal Balance: No preference, so balanced I guess?

Past Headphones: I had a AKG K530. They were okay as far as sound goes, but the isolation on them was non-existent which really bugged me. Then I switched to Sennheiser CX 281’s until those broke down. These were my personal favorites. Great isolation, great sound, ability to adjust the volume without getting out my iPod/phone. Right now I'm using Samsung IEM's that came with the phone, but their output is weak and I think they're also broken.

Preferred Music: Rock, metal, pop, classical, electronic. Those are the main ones, but I really listen to everything.

I decided to go out and buy some new headphones today and as I was standing looking around, I realized that I really had no idea what I was doing. So instead of (possibly) wasting my money, I decided to ask you guys. My friends all live and swear by Sennheiser and from my experience with the CX 281's I totally understand why, but I'm wondering if there's nothing better out there.

This is going to be a bit of a strange suggestion, but try picking up a pair of Philips SHE3590s. They're comfortable, isolate well and sound fantastic. They also cost less than 1/10th of your stated budget but don't let that fool you. They're really, really good.

It's the pair I take on transit around here.

Also, while the volume control on the Sennheisers is nice from what I've read it can be a point of failure on their headphones.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Don't worry, you're not an audiophile until you start talking about "black backgrounds", and "emotional clarity" or some other poo poo. "Warm" is a perfectly reasonable way to describe the SE215s.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Etymotic Etykids. $20 off of Amazon, some of the best noise-isolating headphones you can get. Ignore the stupid name (they just don't get very loud)

Edit: And of course, I probably should've checked before I said that because they're out of stock. Still, probably the best isolating headset in the price range

grack fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 7, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Or just tape it on with a bit of duct tape. Bending the prongs probably isn't a wonderful idea

grack
Jan 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

That's what software equalization is for. Flat frequency response is much more flexible with proper EQ than v shaped or bass heavy cans.

Um.... no. There's a lot more that goes in to EQ headroom than just frequency response. Driver type, impedance and sensitivity as a start. Like, you're never going to EQ an Etymotic ER-4S in to a bass monster, even with suitable dampers.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

How awful are the MEElectronics M9 and Ultimate Ears 200? I would never say they compare to my Sennheiser HD 580, but they sound okay to me for $25 earphones. I ask because one of the channels on my M9 died and I was looking to replace it, but if my ears aren't that discerning, I'll just get whatever $20 crap is in the checkout aisle at Best Buy. :negative:

The UE200 is a piece of utter crap, really harsh and not constructed very well. The MeElec M6 or M9 are better 'phones and it's not particularly close.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Midorka posted:

Thanks for the link, $650 is way out of my range, but we'll see. I'll check into it. I find it very odd, though, that there are so few low output impedance portable amplifiers, especially given that you want damping factor of 8 and IEMs are almost all under 32ohms.

Perhaps because the vast, vast majority of IEMs under 32 ohms are designed to be used straight out of a portable source, and not with an amp?

Just throwing that out there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

I like the ODAC with speakers, still looking for an amp like the Asgard 2 to drive IEMs on my desktop.

In other news, I spent a week with custom IEMs, ten drivers each side. Totally amazing, but had a fit issue so I sent them back for refit. Will also likely tweak the design to get something more incredible so they look as amazing as they sound.

42 drivers a side. Earpieces so big you actually have to wear a headband on a CIEM. DO IT

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This really doesn't answer your question, but the headphones that come with the S4 are supposed to be dual dynamic driver IEMs (two drivers in each earpiece). Just thought it was interesting.

Anyways, given that you're using it on your phone, do you need mic/controls as well?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Fair enough. Is the M6 or M9 my best option under $25 for earphones to listen to Spotify/Pandora/Youtube at work? The Philips SHE3590 and Monoprice 8320 also seem to be popular.

Alternatively, there's a couple sellers on Amazon selling the Sony MH1 for $20, which might seem like it's a fake, but it's Fulfilled by Amazon so I should have recourse/just return it.

The Philips sound better than either MeElec (not by a huge margin, mind you) but aren't built nearly as well, and lack the accessory/fit kits of the M6 or M9. All three are quite good headsets for the price, though.

The MH1 sounds incredible, but it is such pain in the rear end to use because of the awful cabling that it's very difficult to recommend without reservations. I don't think there are fakes of the MH1 floating around, as even sets bought from Chinese dropshipping websites have turned out to be authentic.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Just a head's up, depending on what you're plugging the headphones in to you might need an OMTP-CTIA adapter, something like this: http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods.php?id=1073

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Assuming they ship me the OMTP model, that should still work in a normal headphone jack, right?

Depends on the plug. My computer and my old Sony MP3 player both handled OMTP headphones fine while a newer Samsung player didn't.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

They did ship me the OMTP model, but while they work on my desktop at home, they don't work on my office computer, which is the whole reason I wanted to get them.

The cabling isn't a problem since they go behind the head, and the sound is pretty decent. I don't really want to deal with an adapter, so it looks like I'll either have to pay $40 for the CTIA version on Ebay or get something else. The XBA-1 looks like a good alternative for $32, and the headset version is $4 more. Although I rarely need headset capability, for $4 I might as well get it.

The XBA-1 is a massive step down from the MH1. If it's just your computer headphone jack, you can get a cheap 3.5mm extension cable from Radio Shack and it should work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dias posted:

I need a quick clarification: mismatched output/headphone impedance does affect volume, right? I ask that because I have a Motorola Razr D1, a smartphone that has >10 Ohms output impedance, and the earbuds I used in my iPod Touch sound really, really low when I tried them on the D1, while my brother's Urbanears Plattan (that has 60 Ohms impedance) sound significantly louder, and not just because of better sound isolation.

If I'm right, can you guys recommend any high-impedance IEMs/portable headphones that are cheap, sound decently and could be used for exercising? It's kinda silly to hit the gym with the Plattan, and it's not even a very good headphone anyway.

The Koss KSC75 would fit your needs quite well as well.