Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good all-around PC headset for a fat-headed Goon? I liked my Plantronics, but they snapped above the ear like most do for me. I have an idea of what sets sound good, but I'm tired of tight, uncomfortable ones that snap after about six months.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Anyone know any good PC gaming-friendly headsets for a large-headed goon? I got these Plantronics 760 that just exploded one day while just sitting and listening to a podcast. Same for a pair of Logitech G3-somethings before that.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 16, 2017

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, sorry for not remembering budget. Looking for something not too far beyond $100 unless it's really worth it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

crepeface posted:

I have a pair of Jabra 65T Actives where the microphone doesn't work at all. I bought them on sale so the stores are out of stock for a replacement and Jabra themselves are running through the usual support bullshit like rebooting, etc. Does anyone know anything? I'm on a Pixel 4 XL and my Bose QC35s work for calls and I've tested on a Pixel 1 and an iPad as well. My friend has my exact set up (Pixel 4 XL + Jabras) and his works fine. :mad:

My Jabra Elites are such little bastards. Sometimes the sound will go so low in the right bud that it's practically off. The only solution I've found is just holding the left bud's buttons alternately until it starts working, which seems to be the only type of solution I see with any of the Jabra models.

On a similar subject, does anyone know any good wireless buds where I can use either the left or right bud? I ask because I work a 12 hour shift where we're allowed to have one bud in at a time, and it sucks that I can only use the right bud with my Jabras. It'd be cool if I could just alternate using one side while the other charges.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So, my first pair of wireless earbuds were the Jabra Elite 65ts. While the sound quality is okay, I hate them. Reasons why:

-The buttons are mushy and pretty much require you to jam the buds into your ear to operate them.

-The right bud regularly goes insanely quiet while the left one sounds fine. This isn't canal-shifting, it's a known issue. It seems to happen when I pull the bud out of the case shortly after charging it from 40% or below, and only seems to fix if I let the bud charge for a while. That, or if I keep dropping the right bud into the charging case until I see a purple light come from the pause button seems to fix it, but that sometimes takes dozens of tries.

-This wouldn't normally be a problem, but it's one of those sets of buds where you can only use the right headphone in solo mode. So in my 12 hour factory job where I'm allowed to have in one earbud at a time, I have to put away the whole set for one hour twice a day. Which wouldn't be a huge problem if not for:

-The charging case occasionally just does not charge the buds. This was a problem with a brand new set, and is apparently another known issue. I always make sure I see the charging light on the buds flash before closing the case, but still one in ten times, I'll open the the case and find out that they didn't charge, even when the case itself is fully charged.

-Speaking of canal-shifting, these things are aggressive with it. If I cock my head too far forward or to the left or right, I can't hear much.

I got some Airpod Pros instead. They seem fine. It's kind of lovely that they only come with a USB-C to Apple charger, and that the buttons can be hard to operate when I need to pause them to talk to a co-worker in a pinch, but they work fine on an old wireless phone charger I have, so that's nice. They have a way better, less-plungery feel in my ear than the Jabras, and have much better noise canceling. They're the first Apple product I've owned since an iPod Nano in 2007 and I'm happy with them. While I like goofing with and building computers, I loving despise playing around with gadgets that don't just work, and I'll take the hit buying the "trendy" brand if it just turns on and makes sound come out of my phone.