Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure that this is the right thread for this, but I figure somebody here might be able to help me.
I am looking for a PCI-E sound card to use with with my AD900x's. The onboard sound on my motherboard is fairly dreadful, and makes these headphones sound noticeably worse when compared even to just listening to them off my phone. I have been leaning towards the Sound Blaster Zx, as I have heard good things about the sound quality (once the default bass boosting EQ is disabled) and the "Audio control unit" is something that I would actually find useful (the inbuilt mic is useful as well so I can stop using my old headset as a ghetto desk mic). My budget is about $200 AUD, but that is fairly malleable if there is a better option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I am not really interested in going USB, as I have no backpanel USB unoccupied. My motherboard does have optical out, but I am mostly unfamiliar with that route.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The reason people are asking about USB-out is because it sounds like an external DAC/Amp combo might be better/easier for your needs than buying a new soundcard. Something like Midorka's Schiit Magni/Modi stack would run you about $200 USD.

There are optical options that should work the same as USB ones for the same cost (or even much less), assuming that the output from your motherboard is good.

Replace the Modi DAC with an optical (and much much cheaper) FiiO D3 (edit: make sure it's the newest D03k "Taishan" version, which apparently doesn't have any of the problems the older versions had) and run it to the Magni, and you should have quite a solid and attractive little setup.
I'll definately look into it. I should be able to get USB space to connect the stack, so the only real remaining qualm I have with the stack is the desk space required and that I need to move it separately from the computer. This is why I was initially looking at an internal option for the convenience of it being contained. If I do go with the stack, can anybody recommend a desk mic similar to the one that is with the Sound Blaster Zx? I am more looking for a mic that doesn't need to sit directly infront of me, and can instead sit a near my monitor and hear my voice clearly from there.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

As I hear that the guy behind Schiit is a regular of this thread, I thought it was a good place to ask. Is it possible to order a Magni with an Australian AC adapter? Every other amp on the site has the option of an Australian connector, but the Magi just has a choice of 115v USA/230v UK/230v Euro. I can always buy a 16vac Australian adapter, but that extra expense (25 dollars or so from a quick check) really puts the whole setup just out of budget.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I have a pair of AD900x's that I have had for a while, and I love them. But I have a small worry. One of the two cables that go between the two speakers has become very loose, whereas the other is just as tight. I can wiggle it around quite easily. Should I be worried about this? And if so, is there a way of tightening it/getting it back into position properly?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can anybody recommend headphones that would be an upgrade for me over my current pair of AD900x? I absolutely love my 900x's, but I am looking for something that adds more bass while maintaining the clarity and soundstaging of the 900x's. No real budget but I don't want to go silly. My source is Magni/Modi stack. My current pairs are my AD900x and a pair of M50's that I picked up for portable use (these have actually turned me into a bit of a bass head). I was completely satisfied with my 900x's before I got my M50's, but now I crave more bass (without the compressed/smeared soundstage of the m50's). No isolation requirements, these will be for home use only.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Midorka posted:

Ad2000 used. That's the only thing that's going to satisfy you if you love your Ad900x.

So do you recommend the AD2000 over the refreshed AD2000x? Also as an Australian I have no idea where I would go about buying either used.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Midorka posted:

I haven't heard the Ad2000x, though I wish I had taken up the opportunity I had. I should message ASR back...

I've heard the two are similar but the Ad2000 is more aggressive than the Ad2000x, slightly anyway. I thought the Ad2000 were more than perfectly musical, brilliant headphones. I imagine the Ad2000x are drat good though.

Would the DT990's (250 ohm) be a more bassy sidegrade to the 900x's? Like I said in my original post, I want to get something with more bass. I'd love to pick up some 2kx's, but it is hard to pull the 650-700AUD it would take to get some.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hey guys, I am in need of some new IEMs for my daily commute. I have been using the stock IEMs that came with my Galaxy Nexus for the past two years or so, and they are on their last legs.
Budget About 100AUD. Super flexible budget, can be way higher if necessary.
Source My Galaxy Nexus. I have a Magni at home but these won't be ever used for anything other than my commute.
Isolation Requirements As much as possible really. Three hours daily on a loud bus, I'd love to be able to block that out without going deaf.
Preferred Type of Headphone IEMs. I wish I could use circumaural headphones but they are too large to be practical.
Preferred Tonal Balance No real preference. I don't like stuff lacking in bass.
Past Headphones AD900x that I use at home. I love the soundstaging and clarity, these are my main phones and I adore them. M50's that I got for use on the bus, but I don't take anymore due to their size etc. I love the bass on these compared to the 900x, and the isolation is fantastic. The closer and somewhat smeared soundstage is not great but I still love them for electronic music.
Preferred Music Pretty much everything, hence why I don't have a particular balance preference as I don't favour particular genres. Rock, alternative, electro, classical primarily.

Comfortable is also a plus as they'll be used for extended periods.

Thanks for your help :D

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AD700s are often rated as some of the best headphones for gaming sound/positioning, so I dunno where you heard that one :shrug:. (Also the ATH-AD/x series is awesome)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

M50's certainly have their flaws, but goddamn they are enjoyable in my opinion. The sound staging is not great compared to others in their bracket, and the heavily closed sound is not for everyone. But they have excellent and plentiful bass, and the isolation is fantastic in my opinion. So YMMV, read reviews and if possible try and find some to listen to.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Hey guys, I am in need of some new IEMs for my daily commute. I have been using the stock IEMs that came with my Galaxy Nexus for the past two years or so, and they are on their last legs.
Budget About 100AUD. Super flexible budget, can be way higher if necessary.
Source My Galaxy Nexus. I have a Magni at home but these won't be ever used for anything other than my commute.
Isolation Requirements As much as possible really. Three hours daily on a loud bus, I'd love to be able to block that out without going deaf.
Preferred Type of Headphone IEMs. I wish I could use circumaural headphones but they are too large to be practical.
Preferred Tonal Balance No real preference. I don't like stuff lacking in bass.
Past Headphones AD900x that I use at home. I love the soundstaging and clarity, these are my main phones and I adore them. M50's that I got for use on the bus, but I don't take anymore due to their size etc. I love the bass on these compared to the 900x, and the isolation is fantastic. The closer and somewhat smeared soundstage is not great but I still love them for electronic music.
Preferred Music Pretty much everything, hence why I don't have a particular balance preference as I don't favour particular genres. Rock, alternative, electro, classical primarily.

Comfortable is also a plus as they'll be used for extended periods.

Thanks for your help :D

Thought I'd have another go at this, if anyone had any suggestions.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can anybody speak some words of the VSD1S vs HiSound Audio WooDuo 2? I've been looking for some cheap new IEMs for bus use and I've narrowed it down to these two.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I bought my pistons off boat2014 on Amazon. 23 dollars with free shipping. They were estimated to arrive July 16 in Australia but they came three days ago. Crazy fast shipping. Haven't used them yet but they came in the nicest drat packaging ever.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I have a Magni/Modi stack and I really love it. Nice and simple, and a really really clean aesthetic. My headphones were always easy to drive (AD900x), but getting away from all the crazy interference and freezing/crashing issues with my onboard was fantastic. Noticeably better sound quality really, and I like the headroom to get higher ohm headphones in future.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Retarded Pimp posted:

The ATH-A900x works well enough from low powered sources, is very comfortable and is a closed phone, so it will keep most outside noise out.
And $145 is a pretty good price for these.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TCZIQA/ref=psdc_172541_t1_B000E9VKUQ

I paid like $225 for my AD900x, and they are one of my favourite buys ever at that price. If the A900x are similarly as good but closed, that's a fantastic buy.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Welp, just ordered some AKG K7XX off Massdrop. Looking forward to seeing how they compare to my AD900X.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

twoot posted:

Does anyone know about the comfort of AKG 701s on someone with an enormous head? I've seen conflicting info about them. I'd also take any other recommendations for big-head suitable headphones in the sub $300/£200 range.

I currently have a Steelseries Siberia V2 on which I max out the expansion band, and after half an hour becomes pretty annoying due to inward pressure and pushing up on my earlobes. Before that I had a Corsair Vengeance which cracked broke at a can's swivel point, due to the stretching of putting them on and off my head. Before that I had yet another set of which I cant remember, which also broke at the headband/can fixing.

If it helps I can just about squeeze in a XL ski helmet.

I have a pair of K7XX which use the same system IIRC, and with my big head they are pretty much unusable. The top of my head gets very sore after about 20 minutes or so, and it slowly gets unbearable. Disappointing for sure, I've barely used them since they came. In comparison I can wear my AD900x non-stop for 6+ hours, I've never had an issue with them.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

What home listening headphones would you recommend around $200? Just the 598s? I compared them since i liked the sennheisers i'd bought i just didn't like their short rear end cord.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900x are loving amazing and go under $200 regularly. They are purely home use, being huge and very open, but they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Really wide, spacious sound because they are so open.

Midorka can probably say more in depth words than me, especially compared to the other phones around that price, iirc he is a fan of the AD series (AD2000s I remember specifically).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My friend bought some NVX XPT100 recently and they are actually the most absurdly comfortable closed headphones I've ever worn. The pads are just amazing.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Cromlech posted:

So, my Audio Technica ATH-a700's finally broke after 6 years of continuous use. The plastic binding around my right cup shattered, and the cup is left dangling by the internal wiring. I have no idea how to fix this without damaging anything, so I guess I need to buy a new set.

AT doesn't produce these anymore, and I loved these headphones with its sound range, price and the design (although the top arch head foam pads kinda made my hair thinner, I feel). I got them for 100 USD new on Amazon. I'm not looking for an upgrade, I'm just looking for a just-as-affordable replacement. Also, I never used an amp because apparently I didn't need one with these. I would rather not have to buy one to have the same experience. Also, I loved loved loved the cord in these headphones. They have a textured coating to them, and even when they sat and curled I never once had any issues with the cord. I would like a pair that has the same exact type of cord, or at least a similar type.

Any comfy recommendations? Grado nearly isn't as comfy, right? What about Sennheiser?

The A series headphones are still around, but they have been refreshed and replaced by the Ax headphones. If you liked your A700, I'd recommend just grabbing a pair of A700x.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Etrips posted:

I just went through the whole research ordeal since I had to replace my gaming headphones. Long story short, the only reason to get a "gaming" headphone is for the convenience factor of having a microphone built in. The sound and microphone quality of anything available out there right now is pretty much hot garbage for what you pay for. If you want the best bang for your buck you are better off getting real headphones + mic. And if you are feeling really frisky, getting a DAC+Amp combo would benefit you even more. This thread over on Headfi has a lot of good information if you want to dig into this more. Or if you are deadset on a "gaming" headphone, get a Sennheiser GAMEONE or Logitech's G933 (Wireless).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

Audiotechnica also have some good gaming headsets, which are basically AD700x/AD900x with freakishly good microphones on them. The AD series audiotechnicas are legendary for use in online shooters where you rely on audio cues.

For more budget options, you can't go wrong with the HyperX Cloud ii's. They're actually relatively good headphones for their price.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Is it worth it to upgrade to HD6XX from AKG K7XX's? Other cans I have are AD900x and M50s. I listen to basically every genre that isn't country or hardcore, but mostly electronica/dance and rock.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

How important is the "schiit DACs are garbage" thing for regular use. I am thinking of selling my original magni/modi stack to swap up to a Jotunheim. It fills my criteria of balanced headphone out, balanced pre-out (planning on getting some HS8s or similar), and sexy apparence and I'd like to get it with the inbuilt DAC for convenience. I was thinking worst case I get a scarlet 2i2 (shame it has no optical), use that as a DAC, and then I can swap out my mic for an XLR one and avoid the weird USB bugs I get. Plus it looks nice. I'd get a DX7s but the 10Ω output impedance would gently caress over almost all my cans because that is super high.

ddogflex posted:

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee is in stock right now for $150. Used ones sell for significantly more on eBay so even if you hate em you could sell. They seem to have the same drivers as the HD660S? Either way I ordered a pair. I've never owned anything in the 600 series.

I'm sad I missed this, it seemed to end right as I decided to jump on it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've seen it repeated all over reddit and a few time in this thread( thnk Paul threw some schiit shade), usuallyng from some technical analysis of the schiit DACs that found that very inaccurate technically. The word schiit seems like voodoo on r/headphones.

I love me some schiit but it's definitely a thing I've been reading. I'm just gonna forget that though because I'll never notice even if the dac does some things wrong and it's nice to have one unit.

The real question is which XLR powered bookshelf speakers I get, and how drat quick I can get myself a HD58X or HD6XX. What other balanced cans are there so that I may use the totally pointless balanced output with for nerdy reason?

Also what do you guys think is a fair price to ask my mate for my Modi1/Magni1, considering the newer versions are like $200 dollaridoos here.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Constellation I posted:

Did someone say earbuds?

VE Monk Plus is all you need.

What's the current IEM equivalent of this? I remember getting Pistons back when they were a thing and they were loving lit.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have any words on HD6XX vs ATH-R70x? I want to get some high impedance but relatively sensitive headphones as my current amp (Scarlett 6i6), has decent output power but a 10Ω output impedance which makes my low impedance headphones sound a bit crap (actual science on this one apparently). The HD6XX I'd have to get from America, but the R70x I can get locally for around the same price with a much better warranty (due to Australian consumer laws). Most reviews I see compare them to be quite similar, and I am a fan of the AT "house sound" as I've been rocking my AD900x for almost a decade now. I find the AT wing system very comfortable on my huge head, preferable to most band designs. But obviously, the R70x have nowhere near as much hype as the HD6XXs.

I'm keen for as linear as possible, I am trying to get my whole chain to be linear (I want that THX AAA 789 drop to come back up, if the measurements can be independently verified) so that I can use EQ to flavour the sound if I desire. I recently got a pair of ludicrously good speakers (Focal Alpha 80s), so getting some headphones that are close on sound quality would be perfect. My K7XX sound flat and sad compared to my monitors.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ddogflex posted:

They greatly benefit from an amp. Bass is noticeably tighter at all volume levels with an amp if nothing else. They really aren't bad at all unamped tho. They don't need a ton, they're great from a Fiio e10k I had, and a portable Monolith USB DAC/amp I have now. I've used them some with my fancier desktop amp and it wasn't that much better, something cheap and relatively low power is totally adequate.

I think I've posted 113 times in this thread about it, but the 58X REALLY impress me. I love em. They're by far my most used cans now.

What other headphones are you comparing against?

E: Expanding on my question, do these do things differently enough to be worth as a second pair to my Focal Elex? The 58x seem to have better bass performance and they're pretty cheap

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 30, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My hot take on the 58X is that they need different pads if you have big ears like me, my ears touch the drivers and it's quite uncomfortable. I went back to my AD900x quite quickly solely for this reason. They are more semi-open than open like the HD600+ headphones, the foam behind the drivers makes them noticeably more isolating than the 6XX for better or for worse. The bass is definitely nicer. Comparing to my mates 6XX, the only thing I really am jealous of is the nice box (the 58X are just loose in a cardboard box, definitely not a premium unboxing experience) and the appearance. They're near identical as expected, it's splitting hairs.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone here have an opinion on the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed? The reviews I've found differ from incredible to "broken". My main headphones are a pair of Focal Elex (similar frequency response to the Focal Clears). I also have AD900x/K7XX/M50/HD58X from my journeys through mid range cans.

I like the neutral sound signature, planar drivers and comfort (I know about the Oppo PM3 but I've read about how small/shallow they are and I have a huge head), but I'm reading a lot of post purchase regret on r/headphones citing inconsistency and sounding "broken". I like the closed aspect for theoretical plane/train/bus use, though I know they're a big large and clumsy.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno how to quantify head size other than I tried to wear some Sundaras and at maximum headband extension they were still unusable. I love my audiotechnicas for this reason too. I've got a Cavalli Liquid Carbon so no worries about amping.

There is someone on an Aussie classifieds selling LCD-XC for the equivalent of $1000 usd, with both stock cables and a silver wanker dragon cable. Got the ginormous case too, which means they won't ship it. E: and the carbon headband too

Worth the 891km drive?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh hey me three. I use them as desktop speakers. They're actually pretty good for binaural recordings meant for headphones.

Getting bigass speakers (Focal Alpha 80s plus a ridiculous KRK 12sHO sub), which are proper studio monitors, totally ruined my headphones for me. It's why I've suddenly moved up price brackets for my headphones because I need something even half as good to use at night without my neighbours hating me.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Lube banjo posted:

58x or 6xx?

I've tried both, and I like the 58X more. Or rather, I honestly can't see $50 more in the 6XX. Plus the 58X has more doof

I'd recommend looking up some frequency response graphs and deciding which frequencies you prefer to be emphasised.

The 58X comes in a poo poo cardboard box and the 6XX in a nice carrying case, if you care.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've found a guy selling LCD-X with the carbon headband and carrying case for $1100 AUD. Seems low enough for me to want to bite, I'm just worried about the weight for extended listening. Does the carbon fibre headband make them more bearable? I see the weight is like 600g which is double my Focals

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Suspension headbands are god mode for comfort. Price seems good. Do the usual due diligence on their condition though.

Then again I got used to headphones in the 400 grams and heavier range before I bought my own LCD-X so the extra weight was relatively minor.

It's dramatic when you swap between them and something like the HD58X though :v:

They sold in like two hours, my indecision was killer. I went and listened to some at a local store, decided I was going to get them from that, then they were gone haha. They are definitely different enough to what I own to warrant having, but the price to get them new and put the carbon band on them (and the carrying case) is 2.5x what they go for second hand, so I'm waiting out.

Right now I am waiting to replace all my external audio gear with a RME ADI-2 Pro Black Edition as soon as that launches. Reference AD/DA conversion and super duper clean 20vRMS balanced headphone amp, plus loads of DSP magic. I'm kinda keen to measure all the different DACs and amps I have at hand as a hobbyist thing.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

borkencode posted:

Hmm, going to look into these a bit, the straight cable is giving me a little pause since I like coiled cables, but might try living with it.

The "pro" model comes with a coiled cable, avoid the "premium" version if you want that.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

borkencode posted:

So of course none of the product images on amazon show the cable, but I knew I had seen a straight cable somewhere. It was this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbI1T8W9-Hc Showing a "pro" model and a "studio" model (seem identical). Both had straight cables.

I start to think maybe it was a change they made at some point.

But then I look at the product page on the website https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-770-pro.html And there's a coiled cable!

Turns out :ms: the different impedances all have different cords. Found on the spec sheet https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/3878/product_id/2912/

From what I understand I'd probably want an amp to drive the 250ohm set, which seems like more effort than I'd want to deal with.

Hey I actually remember this bullshit, they basically assume you get more "studio" as the impedance goes up. Short cable for phone use, longer cable for desktop use, coiled cable for studio use.

Unless you plan on getting tinitus (you really don't, I have it, listen at sensible levels), the 250ohm should work fine for you.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Topping DX30Pro is pretty drat good too

Great performing DAC, high power and clean headphone amp with low output impedance, preamp output, bluetooth, remote, and digital volume control for perfect channel matching. Probably the best budget amp/dac combo.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone got any experience with swapping Hifiman pads? I cannot for the loving life of me get the pads off my HE6se to swap them out for thicker leather ones.

I know about the four clips on the ring but even putting in enough pressure to hurt my fingers I can't see to get it to unclip. Am I pushing the wrong way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna put another vote towards the Focal Elex, they are seriously really loving good. I've listened to a lot of expensive headphones and they punch way above their weight. They are also getting incredible reviews from the community, if you care for the opinion of say DMS and Zeos and other audiophile youtubers.

There is a not-insignificant chance that the weight of the LCD-X is an issue. The new headband is better but they are still a stupidly heavily pair of headphones. I found them to not be worth it just because of it. I'd say there is a greater chance that it is fine but I feel its an important thing to be aware of if you can't listen to them locally.

5-HT posted:

Get yourself a pair of Focal Clears (they're easily found for right close to $900 - $1K), Massdrop Focal Elex which is a steal at its price point, or a pair of Audeze LCD-X circa 2016 or newer. These are all in that "end game" territory and they're all amazing headphones.

Or wildcard option Hifiman Ananda. They're easy to drive, super wide sound stage, a great frequency response. I'm personally partial to the LCD-X since I own them, but the other options I've mentioned are all insanely good.

Don't get the HD660S, it's insanely overrated and isn't as even in response as an HD650/HD6XX. If you want a true upgrade and not a side grade, strongly suggest the options I mentioned earlier, particularly the Elex or the LCD-X.

I also agree with like all of this but my personal lean is that the Elex is substantially nicer but thats a preference thing. With high end audio it is extremely dependent on personal preference (ignoring things like SINAD for dacs/amps etc).