Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I have the same set of Bose IE2s, and like them for the same reason. I really dislike the feeling of something in my ear; I own a pair of Klipsch S4i's, which sound fantastic, but I personally find them uncomfortable to wear. I've also found that I dislike the distant, hollow sound of my own voice on a conference call.

Why do people dislike Bose? Is it the quality itself, or just the quality at their price point? Is there another IEM that sits outside of the ear similar to the IE2, but with a better sound or mic quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm currently using Bose IE2's with my iPhone 4s, and really need an inline mute. Hitting power, waiting for the fade-in, sliding, and then hitting the mute/unmute button takes too long for a fast-moving conference call.

1. Is there a device that could provide an in-line mute using this headset?
2. If not, can I get recommendations for a similar headset?

Budget: Around $100 USD
Source: iPhone 4s, laptop (hopefully a Nokia Windows Phone soon)
Isolation Requirements: No. I like to be able to hear the environment around me, and hear my own voice when speaking.
Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM, though nothing in the ear canal itself
Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced, though a bit bass-heavy is fine
Past Headphones:
  • Astro A40 - My current desk headset. Good balance, great mic. I don't like the cloth earpads.
  • Bose QC3 - Loved them in terms of sound. Couldn't find a decent mic for them.
  • Steelseries 7H - Great sound, decent mic. I didn't like the fact that the cloth cord makes a noise you can easily hear through the headset itself.
  • Bose IE2 - Most comfortable IEMs I've used. Good mic. Good sound balance.
  • Klipsch S4i - Uncomfortable wear; didn't like the sound of my voice when I was speaking. Great sound quality. Terrible mic: picked up every bit of surrounding noise.
  • The stock earbuds for iPhones - Not particularly comfortable or uncomfortable. Sound is meh. Mic is decent.
Preferred Music: Prog rock, heavy metal, alternative, some classical

A noise-cancelling mic is a hard requirement.

Fake edit: If anyone wants to purchase a Steelseries 7H, let me know (though see comment above).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Does anyone have a good comparison between the Astro Mixamp and the Asus Xonar U3? I love the effect of Dolby Headphone (especially for multi-hour conference calls), but the Mixamp is quite bulky.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I had similar requirements, and generally like my Astro A40's a lot. They aren't USB, but getting an adapter, or USB soundcard isn't too bad. I personally run mine through the Astro Mixamp, which has the benefit of Dolby Headphone. This makes multi-hour conference calls far more bearable; it gives the sound the illusion of coming from around me, rather than the middle of my head.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I had the chance to check out V-Moda M-100's in person today (Brookstone sells them in MSP airport). They're far more compact than my current A40's, which would be great for traveling. A couple people commented that the pads can get uncomfortable on the ears, and I see what they mean. I don't (think I) have big ears, but I think I'd probably get the XL cups if I ever purchase that headset.

Sound quality was great, though, and I think it showed me I prefer a little bass to purely analytic flat-line EQ.

Does anyone know if the in-line mic is isolating or not, or will it pick up every sound around me? If the former, I may add this to my headset to my Christmas list.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Illegal Carrot posted:

I'm looking for my first "real" set of headphones for PC gaming. I don't really have anything other than a Logitech H150, so I'm willing to go big here.

Budget - $100 - 150 USD. I'm no audiophile, but I'm more than willing to up the budget if it seems worth it.
Source - My PC, with both USB and headphone jacks available.
Isolation Requirements - None really, I plan on using these in my room almost exclusively.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural. Open is a must, because I plan on wearing these for hours at a time. Comfort and quality are a must, while isolation is not.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'd mostly be gaming with these, with a bit of music and VOIP. I'd like a good balance, I guess? Maybe with slightly more bass?
Past Headphones - No idea on the brands, but most of the previous stuff I've tried has been really uncomfortable, because my ears are super weird / sensitive, and after a while it hurts to have earbuds or headphones in or on them, while closed stuff has made my ears feel sweaty.
Preferred Music - I'd be using these mostly for gaming, VOIP, and podcasts, but the music I listen to the most is definitely classic rock or blues.

Thank you very much!

I love my Astro A40's, and they seem to meet all of your requirements. The microphone is excellent, and there's an optional in-line mic (with in-line mute) if you don't like the boom-style mic. Sound is very balanced (at least to my non-audiophile ears). Bass isn't really emphasized. The best I can describe is that it sounds tonally correct, but doesn't feel as deep as with a closed-back set of headphones.

I do not have a particularly large head (8 1/4 hat size in the US, I think?), and am able to wear them for a full work day. Note that they have cloth covers instead of leather/pleather, which some people love, and others don't. I personally wish they came with pleather, but it's a minor complaint.

The Astro Mixamp adds to the cost, but is optional. I like Dolby Headphone--especially for hours long conference calls--but many people are perfectly happy with Creative's CMSS-3D.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I had the chance to listen to some V-Moda M-100's the other day in Brookstone and thought they sounded great with metal. A little bass- heavy, but not a muddy bass. They're a touch over budget-especially if you buy the mic-but may be worth considering.

I'm trying to justify the cost to get some to replace my Astro A40's. (I can't justify the cost yet: the A40's are very nice. )

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Pudgygiant posted:

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but will this cable actually make a difference for my ES3X or is it bullshit?

I own a mountain in Florida I can sell you where the acoustics are absolutely amazing. Even your headset will sound better. PM me for details. (Don't do it. This is one step short of a complete scam.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Considering the people I see walking through the airport wearing huge cans, no.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Kind of a headphones related question:

Does anyone know of a good, yet small, external sound card/amp that includes Dolby Headphone and an equalizer? I was using an Astro Mixamp, but its big enough to be a pain to lug around, and didn't have an equalizer. I switched to Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 for the equalizer, but I prefer Dolby Headphone to CMSS-3D, and it muddies the bass horribly.

I'm currently using Astro A40's (at home) or Bose IE2s (on the road).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I think the OP mentions that burn-in is scientifically bullshit. Your ears may need to get used to a new sound signature, but small drivers don't require burn-in anymore than large speakers.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hello, I'm looking for a nice comfortable, not-too-bulky, headset for music and gaming, preferably with a built in microphone.

Budget - $30-60
Source - Laptop PC, either through audio jacks or USB.
Isolation Requirements - None.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over Ear
Preferred Tonal Balance -Balanced
Past Headphones - A bunch of cheapish gaming headsets (Yapster, Plantronics etc.), they were comfortable but they broke after a year or two. So, something that lasts would be nice.
Preferred Music - Mostly metal, and electronic stuff.

I have not used them myself, but Razer Carcharias get excellent reviews for comfort and mic quality. If I recall, they tend to overemphasize bass very slightly, which many people like in games and for various forms of rock and metal. There are often good deals at various retailers.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Does anyone know of an adapter that would add an in-line mute to a 2.5mm headset? I'm currently using Bose IE2--which I generally like--but really need a mute switch for conference calls. Hitting the power button, sliding up, and tapping "mute/unmute" takes too long during a conversation.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

My Bose IE2 mic is starting to die, so I'm looking for a new headset. Primary use is work conference calls and music.

Budget - Around $100 USD.
Source - Nokia Lumia Icon (928)
Isolation Requirements - I prefer to hear things around me. I end up on conference calls while driving, in airports, etc. I'd prefer to minimize sound leakage.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbuds preferred. I don't like the feel of IEMs, and like being able to hear my own voice. I'm open to IEMs if they're comfortable, though.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I prefer bass, and can live with imperfect highs.
Past Headphones -
  • Bose IE2 - Very comfortable: could wear for hours-long conference calls. Sound clarity was okay, though I would have preferred a little more bass. Liked the lack of sound leakage.
  • Shure S4i - Didn't like hearing myself sound like I was underwater while talking. Mic picked up every sound around it, making it useless in noisier environments (airports, cars). I liked the sound signature a lot, even though it was much "closer" than other headphones/headsets I've used.
  • Astro A40 - For working at home. I like the wide soundstage and the clarity, though I wish it had more bass. Mic is excellent for conference calls. I avoid video conferences while wearing them because I look like Princess Leia.
  • Bose QC20 - My first pair of not-:10bux: headphones, so I remember them as better than they probably were. I liked them.
  • Steelseries 5H - I liked the sound signature, but the build quality was so bad one headphone or the other would die every 3 months. Would not recommend.
Preferred Music - Conference calls. Progressive rock, classical, heavy metal, symphonic metal, some alternative.

A noise-cancelling mic is almost a must-have. My co-workers and clients don't want to hear the people next to me at the airport.

Edit: What's the mix quality like on the Pistons?

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 23, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just bought a Turtle Beach Stealth 500p headset to replace my Sony Gold, to solve a very specific problem: the Playstation TV (also called the Vita TV) doesn't have any kind of audio out other than HDMI, and this headset's USB dongle has optical in, for the purpose of getting 7.1 audio. Other than that it's mostly the same deal as the Sony Gold. It does indeed work for this purpose (and sounds somewhat better too I think), but there's an echo in the audio, very close to the original sound, only a few milliseconds. The microphone is turned off so it's not that, and I assume it isn't audio from the PS4 itself because I'm not even using that as a sound source, I have it set to only come through the optical in (which is connected directly to the TV). Any ideas?

edit: Not when it's taking audio directly through the USB though, only the optical. But not using the optical defeats the purpose of me buying it.

edit: this is like the fifteenth attempt at a solution to get audio from the PSTV wirelessly to headphones, and the previous 14 always had some niggling little problem too. As annoying as it is feeling like I'm listening to it from inside a tin can, it's the least annoying so far.

Have you tried using an Astro Mixamp? Connect the amp to the PS4, and the connect headphones/headset to the amp. They make a wireless headset as well.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Gunder posted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this question, but i'm looking to buy a new headset for my gaming PC. Ideally it would sound really nice, and have a good quality microphone attached. I've been using the great Sennheiser PC350 for about 6-7 years now, and the ear cup and head-cushion lining have been disintegrating all over my head for the past 12 months. I know that it's possible to get replacement ear cups and cushions, but since Sennheiser no longer makes the model in question, i've seen lots of posts about people only being able to buy dodgy third party replacements that are really sub-standard. If I could, i'd just buy another PC350, but they've been discontinued, and it seems like what replaced the model is pretty much garbage. (The set I have was their first foray into this category and was essentially one of their better headsets with a mic strapped to it. In recent years they've started cutting costs and corners and the quality seems to have really tanked.)

Are there any agreed upon great quality headsets that aren't ludicrously overpriced? I'd like to avoid gimmicky features like mock surround sound and supposed 7.1 headsets if I can. My max budget is about £120-£150 (around $200-$230).

Edit: It will mostly be used for playing games, listening to music and watching films. I'd prefer to stick to non-USB headsets.

It may be slightly above your budget, but I love my Astro A40's. Yes, they pander to the "1337 gamerz take my :10bux: for stupid gimmicks" crowd, but they sound great, and the mic quality is wonderful. I work from home a lot, and 4-hour conference calls are far more bearable. I do look a bit silly on a video call, however.

The Mixamp that they usually bundle has mock surround sound, but it's Dolby Headphone, which is actually quite good. The competing fake surround sound standard out there is Creative's CMSS-3D, which is also good. Many reviewers find the latter to be more "accurate"; I find the former to be more enjoyable. My Windows Phone uses Dolby Headphone as well.

I guess what all of these :words: are saying is that even if you aren't looking for surround sound in a gaming headset, it can actually be quite nice.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Gunder posted:

Thanks for the advice. In the end I decided to try the Sennheiser PC 363D headset. It seems to be high quality, unlike their G4ME models.

Very cool. I had strongly considered them a few years ago (or whatever iteration was available back then) before getting my A40s. Let us know what you think about them!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Lowness 72 posted:

I've yet to find a headphone that plays Rush better than my SR-80s. I feel like I'm at the concert. That said - I can listen to like 2 songs and then I have to take a break but gosh do I love em.
Please don't encourage me to buy a set of headphones just to listen to God's favorite band.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Davincie posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Logitech G430? My previous headset broke after 4 years of use and this seems like a fine replacement for someone who wants to use it both for music and gaming while on a budget.

I'm leaning between that one and a Steelseries V2 after some more research
My experience with SteelSeries has not been great. The headphones sound alright for the price, but I the weird mini-USB connector dies within a couple months. I RMAd one pair, and didn't even bother when the replacement died just as quickly.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Unless you have very broad shoulders, I think the ATH-M50x would be too large if you do any overhead exercises.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

It's not precisely headphone-related, but does anyone have any feedback on the Asus Xonar U7? My Astro Mixamp is dying, but I love Dolby Headphone. There doesn't seem to be a software implementation of Dolby Headphone anywhere, so I'm stuck attaching something to my laptop if I want the effect.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm suffering through lovely Lync call quality, mostly in that other people hear my voice like a robot. My IT department is telling me that:

:sparkles: "You just need to use a Lync-optimized headset"
and that
:sparkles: "Your $300 analog headset with a boom mic is clearly the problem. Use a $20 USB headset instead."

I realize this is the headphones thread and not a mic thread, but thought someone might be able to help tell me if this is utter bullshit, or if not if there is any hope of getting a headset whose mic doesn't make me sound like Max Headroom on Lync and doesn't sound like poo poo for everything else.

Edit: Fixed formatting

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Not sure if this is a good thread for this question, so feel free to redirect me.

Does anyone know what underlying technology Alienware Sound Center uses? Is it just a gloss of paint and an equalizer sitting on top of Windows' default sound system? I'm debating getting Dolby Atmos for :10bux: (actually 15) because I like Dolby Headphone so much. Tell me how this is terrible and I'm doing something wrong, or otherwise.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I love the Bose Stayhear ear things, and don't like the feeling of running with a headset in my ear. The jarring of my steps is just uncomfortable, and the Bose fit avoids this problem.

That said, I'm interested to try a new sound now that my microphone doesn't work. Does anyone have any experience with the Vmoda Activeflex ear things? Are they comprable in comfort/fit to Bose?

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 15, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

pik_d posted:

I ended up returning the first Boompro, the second one works now, but I've got a new issue. When I use the mute switch, it mutes the mic but instead plays my sound output as input, so if I'm on voice chat it'll play whatever I'm listening to out to everyone I'm talking with.

That could be hilarious or awkward depending on what you're listening to.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Are there any completely wireless IEMs or earbuds that are certified for Skype for Business and have the dedicated USB dongle? Bonus if they are sweat proof / water resistant.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

SFB certification in headsets has more to do with input processing and voice quality, it also allows the device to bypass the default Skype processing and poo poo. It usually gurantees pretty decent quality as they run a pretty extensive set of tests using ACQUA systems.

Precisely. The water proof is because I travel and would like one set of wireless buds for both work calls and working out. The certified for Skype for Business is for outgoing call quality. For whatever reason, it makes a noticeable difference in how others hear me when I speak.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Has anyone here listened to a Sennheiser MB 660 UC MS? It's Sennheiser so I assume they're good for music, but headsets always seem to get a bad reputation. L

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

prom candy posted:

Back again and buying more headphones. Looking for some Bluetooth headphones for walking the dog, doing yard work, chores around the house, etc. These will be used for podcasts the vast majority of the time so great sound quality isn't important but "not poo poo" would be good. I'm having trouble finding something that ticks these boxes though:

- not too isolating
- nothing that wraps behind my ear because I wear glasses
- not neck-band style because I need a scarf outside in the winter
- water resistant enough to wear in rain and snow

Some of the on-ear or over-ear ones could work because I don't mind just listening to one channel, but they don't tend to be waterproof. Another option is maybe AirPods? They're small enough to fit under a hood or a hat, but I'm kinda worried about losing them. The Jaybird X3s look decent but the proprietary charging thing makes me think they'll end up in a drawer somewhere after I lose the piece and they stop making it.

Any other suggestions? Budget is whatever.

Jabra Elite 65t.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Bose earbuds generally have pretty good microphones. I wouldn't record someone singing on them or anything, but they're fine for conference calls.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I had the those Jabra for a few days before returning them. The sound was okay, but the microphone quality was terrible. Occasionally one piece wouldn't connect either, which was annoying. YMMV, of course.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Looking for some nice headphones mainly for listening to music, with some movies/tv/games on the side. Some recommendations would be really helpful.

Budget - Up to £200 (probably about equivalent to the same in USD)
Source - PC. I do have an Asus Xonar DGX sound card lying around that I can install if that would be worth doing, I think it has a headphone amp.
Isolation Requirements - No preference
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't know enough to say, to be honest.
Past Headphones - Just gaming headsets. Previously a HyperX Cloud II, currently using Steelseries Arctis 7 wireless.
Preferred Music - Metal

Nice forum name.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

I dunno how to quantify head size

Circumference is what hats use. 7 1/4" or7 1/2" are around average, assuming short hair.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I just ordered an Audeze Mobius. I'll give a trip report whenever it arrives. No idea how long shipping takes in the US.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm this close to canceling my order for an Audeze Mobius. It's been over a month, they haven't shipped, and the company doesn't return inquiries from their website or phone calls.

What do goons think of the Sennheiser HD 660? How do they compare to the Sony MX3? I like the idea of the V-moda Crossfade Wireless, too, but they need to plug in to use a mic.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks. My use case is a little odd. I travel for work, but would mostly use this in a home office. Game occasionally, and listen to prog rock, metal, alternative, etc. So something is going to be compromised.

Naturally, since I posted this Audeze says it shipped, so I guess I'll be happy with my original choice. Planar magnetics here I come!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Active/Adaptive Noise Cancelling is mainly for “steady state” background noise, right? Or directly to the point, will it help much blocking out household sounds, like people talking or a TV in the next room?

It does almost nothing for vocal range noise. It's great for things like jet engines.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Do you get that thump-thump-thump feeling in your ears when running?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Anyone have experience with the Jabra Evolve 75e UC? How do they sound? I basically need something UC/MS certified because of the difference in mic quality for Skype/Teams calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Quick trip report on Audeze Mobius from a non-audiophile.

Preferred Tonal Balance - A bit bass-heavy. In VLC, I tend to setup an equalizer with peaks at 310Hz and 12 Khz, and downplay 1KHz.

Preferred Music - Metal, prog rock, every now and then classical.

Past Headphones -
  • Astro A40 (the old, non-TR version)
  • Bose QC30 (noise-cancelling, on-ear)
  • Bose QC20 (noise-cancelling IEMs)
  • Some crap from Steelseries that always had sound die in one earcup
  • V-Moda Forza Metallo (IEMs)
  • Some Sennheiser IEMs that cost ~$40 USD 8 years ago
In terms of the Mobius, the detail is by far the best I've heard. I'm not familiar with all of the audiophile terms, but basically I can hear a lot of the "background" instruments with more clarity than on other headphones. The tonal balance seems very even to me. I would prefer a bit more in the mid-bass, but everything sounds great, and equalizers are a thing. Sound isolation is next to nil; they're closed back, but leak as much sound--in and out--as my old Astro A40's. Useless on a plane, train, or anyplace with background noise. The mic quality isn't great; even at low gain it picks up breathing unless you fidgit--a lot--with the position of the mic. It works okay, but my biggest complaint is that I can't just put them on and start chatting without futzing with the mic position.

The 3d sound stuff is a neat gimmick. I don't love it when listening to music, mostly because my head is generally turning between two monitors and the soundstage moving that much becomes distracting. I absolutely love it when watching a movie or TV, though. The very slight sound movements caused by natural head tilting towards a sound really does have a nice effect.

Overall verdict? I wish I'd spent my $400 on something else. The sound quality is better at that price point than anything else I was looking at, but the mic quality was a real let-down. I think I under-estimated how much value I actually placed in a good mic (hello Astro A40). That said, if you want a set of bluetooth headphones with really, really good sound: these are nice.