Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
OP is a few years old now so I apologize to hash up something that maybe has been talked about (I looked back 5+ pages and only saw a spattering of discussion).

Any good guides out there to determine which Bluetooth wireless earbuds (IEMs) I should look into and the best value for them out there? It seems that there are a tons of new brands and companies making these, most of which I've never heard about.

Usage will be working out and commuting to work listening to music and podcasts. I am not an audiophile at all, so I doubt I need anything that's geared towards hearing quality other than basic quality. What I'd like is reliability and battery life of at least 2-3 hours at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
For someone who wants to do their own research into some wireless bluetooth IEMs (never having owned a pair), and with that really helpful Headphones Buying guy from the Head-Fi forum seemingly down, can anyone recommend some blogs or websites that do a comparison across the different wireless options out there?

I'm not super picky about sound quality, I've been using some fairly cheap headphones for awhile but now I finally want to get wireless IEMs for the comfort factor for listening to music and podcasts on an android phone or my laptop and finally one that can withstand going to the gym as well. Are there any models that have a detachable lanyard to wear at the gym, but can be unattached for just commuting?

I'm not sure of my budget yet except for maybe high-end would be $150, but it would be flexible depending on the pair. I'm not sure yet if I want IEMs with any over the ear hooks or lanyards (or whatever those are called), I guess I'm a little anxious about the possibility of them falling out of my ear.

Anyways, any guides or webpages that are a good start would be helpful.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 20, 2019

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Hey all, looking at my first gaming headphones for my first PC build, so I very am not looking for top of the line but rather decent headphones for gaming that aren't too expensive.

Budget - under $75USD
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - Not sure
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced or bass heavy
Past Headphones - N/A
Preferred Music - Gaming

I checked out that Mad Lust's guide but a lot of his suggestions for under $100 aren't available it seems, or are now more expensive since his guide was written

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I've got a pair of crappy Logitech gaming headphones with microphone but I'm looking to upgrade.

I recall reading some people advocating for gaming not to buy "gaming" branded combo headset/microphones because they usually suck at both or are cheap, and the recommendation is to get headphones and then a separate stand-microphone or something (also such a microphone needs some sort of separate unit? a DAC? Not sure) Not sure if this is on topic in here but any one have good advice here on the microphone side or would that be a question better put somewhere else?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Looking for new headphones (getting separate mic so microphone not necessary). I don't know much about what I like (been using crappy Logitech GaMiNg headset that broke recently) but at my old job I had a pair of Sennheiser HD 300 Pro that I really like but is a bit out of my price range so I've been looking at the other Sennheiser's that are sub - $100 CDN (so far been looking at the HD 200 PRO ) that is $90 CDN and maybe the HD 280 PRO ($125 CDN) if the difference is worth the cost.

I looked through that MadLust's reviews but his are tiered in USD so the two tiers are a bit awkward ($0-$50 are too cheap, $50 - $150 end up being too expensive). MadLust recommends the Sennheiser HD201 but the plastic on it to me looks cheap. This is primarily for gaming. Here's my thing:

Budget - $90 - 120 CDN
Source - Direct to PC
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM? Over-ear? Etc.: Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - no preference
Past Headphones - I've used the Sennheiser HD300 PRO and really liked them both audio quality, comfort and look-feel wise (though I do get a bit sweaty in the fauxleather earcups), and my previous headphones are Logitech G332 gaming headsets that were fine for me audio quality wise but had endless problems with the boom mic (prefer to get a mic so I don't need a headset) and the dumb cheap feeling swivel piece broke only after about a year of use (and I've always hated the cheap plastic feel to them anyways). If possible, I'd like to find something with comparable audio quality, but with less cheap-feeling more "sturdy" feel.
Preferred Music - None really, I'll only be gaming with these or watching dumb videos online and I'm the furthest from an audiophile possible but I don't like a cheap/loose feel to the plastic quality.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 28, 2021

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Ok Comboomer posted:

Here, I posted this for somebody else but I’d recommend both of these to you because they’re both built like tanks. The Sony should last you years, though you’ll have to replace the ear pads ($10-20) eventually

Thanks, might have to consider upping my budget for those Sony's (I like that they've been making these for years and seem to be well regarded to be built well).

But otherwise, also considering the Status Audio CB-1's vs the AudioTechnicas. Of the two, which would have better construction and durability? I'm a clutz so I am sure to drop these, throw them on my desk etc.

edit: Nevermind, found the Sony's in my budget so I went with those. Thanks for the advice!

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 3, 2021

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

powderific posted:

FWIW the Sony 7506, if that’s what you’re talking about, have my least favorite sound signature of any pair of headphones I’ve ever owned. They live in my audio bag and they’re fine for that, but I would not want them to be my regular cans.

I have no idea what a sound signature is so I'm probably fine (edit: sorry, didn't mean to come off snarky, I just mean I'm not much of an audiophile), these are just for gaming and dumb internet videos, I'll barely be listening to music on them.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Oysters Autobio posted:

Thanks, might have to consider upping my budget for those Sony's (I like that they've been making these for years and seem to be well regarded to be built well).

But otherwise, also considering the Status Audio CB-1's vs the AudioTechnicas. Of the two, which would have better construction and durability? I'm a clutz so I am sure to drop these, throw them on my desk etc.

edit: Nevermind, found the Sony's in my budget so I went with those. Thanks for the advice!

I am having trouble now narrowing down to a cheap microphone just to talk to friends I'm gaming with. My first thought was a cheap condenser mic with stand but then I realized if it sits on my desk it would pick up my mechanical keyboard. Though if it's small enough I could put it ontop of my PC tower (my tower sits on my desk so it could sit on top and aim horizontally at my face? It's just slightly over a foot from my face).

Another option would be a cheap condenser mic with a mini/small boom arm attached to the back of my desk (I don't want a really big boom arm or anything). Should I just get a gooseneck desktop mic instead?

The Antlion modmic setup may work but its a bit expensive for my taste ($140CDN on amazon.ca).

So, what's a good enough directional microphone for just chatting with friends on occasional game nights that's budget friendly?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 9, 2021

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

DancingShade posted:

If all you want to do is chat with friends any microphone whatsoever including the ones built into your cheap bundled earbuds that came free with your [generic consumer product] will do just fine.

Otherwise IDK exactly what you're after and it sounds like you might want something streamer grade. Which would be overkill for your stated needs, though nothing wrong with that. In such a case just go through Audio-Technica's catalogue until you find the usage solution you need in the price you're happy with. Or equivalent from another professional audio manufacturer.

Wait until you start thinking thoughts like "well if I got a quieter mechanical keyboard I could..." and I'll now let that brainbug start its work on you. Don't forget to install dampening material on your walls!

Sorry I should have been more clear. I got a new pair of headphones (Sony MDRs) that do not have a microphone built in. I would prefer not to have to use earbuds when I'm gaming, so whats the next best cheap alternative that (1) Has decent filter to cancel out background noise (so I don't have to use Discord push to talk), (2) is USB or just Mic-jack compatible.

It seems my options for under $50CDN are basically (1) A desktop gooseneck-type conference microphone, (2) A desktop-mounted condenser mic, (3) A boom-arm mounted condenser, (4) some type of lapel attacheable mic or I up my budget and splurge on an Modmic

It seems for both options #2 and #3, my mechanical keyboard would likely be an issue based on reading reviews of cheaper-end condensers. #3 seems a bit overkill because I'm not streaming, nor doing music, and I don't have a ton of real estate on my desk to mount something like this. #4 seems okay possibly? Seems kind of hokey though. #5 is probably the simplest but I guess if I'm being picky I hate that there would be an extra cable dangling from my headset (there's one style of modmic that actually replaces your audio cable with a mic built into a separate cable but my Sony MDRs don't have detachable cables).

I feel like I'm missing another obvious cheap solution but I don't know :shrug:

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 10, 2021

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

DancingShade posted:

https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/boompro-microphone

Make sure they fit your headphones before ordering (3.5mm input). Also I can't help you with your local money CDN budget aspect, not in your supply chain so the rest is up to you.

Those would be perfect but unfortunately I got a pair of Sony MDRs that don't have a detachable cable, so I wouldn't be able to use this.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If you don't want clicky noises from your keyboard then a cardioid microphone set up slightly in front of your keyboard will work perfectly.

I use a BM800 cardioid mic (sold with all sorts of brand names slapped on it), a Behringer u-phoria UM2 USB interface and a boom arm with shock mount. All in about £60 with the interface being the most expensive.

A Blue Snowball will also be good if you can set it up in front of your keyboard and that is USB so is much less faff and can be mounted on an arm.

I managed to find the tiny little condenser mic that my partner bought because they watched too many tiktoks of people recording their pets sleeping, and I tried that out and found that it wasn't too bad when Discord had its background noise filters on (it perfectly filtered out the click clack). I figure if this dinky thing works then the cheapest condenser mic knock-off on Amazon will work too so I'll probably look at this.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Looking to help find my GF a pair of over the ear bluetooth headphones for working out, going for walks, and occassionally using it at the office or computer.

Budget - Max $200 CAD all-in
Source - Samsung phone
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced
Past Headphones - Used to use IEMs and such but found the buds don't ever fit well or comfortably in her ear
Preferred Music - indie pop

So she wants wireless bluetooth so she can workout without any cables, but since its for working out I dont think battery life is a huge concern since she wouldnt be wearing these for 6 hours a day. I think ideally for flexibility theyd have bluetooth and an aux cable but I don't know how often you see that combo for over ear headphones.

Ideally because theyd be used for working out and be thrown into a bag, it needs to have some durability so something with all plastic parts might be ideally something to avoid (just from personal experience owning a pair of cheap logitech gaming headphones that broke because of dinky little plastic pieces holding it together broke).

Personal experience, I own a pair of Sony MDR 7506 for gaming and love them, and like that they have a real "durable" no-frills feel to them along with metal clips and parts. Something like them but in wireless form would be great. She's not an audophile or anything so sound quality just needs to be average.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Jabra Elite 85h are $199 on Amazon.ca as part of cyber Monday promotion. I can heartily recommend them in terms of durability, comfort, sound quality and looks. They do a lovely ANC job, but your girlfriend doesn’t seem to need that. They usually cost a bit more

How do these fair for working out? They seem quite large/bulky but I don't really know whats normal for wireless headphones (I use buds for working out myself).