Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dosan Yvormes
Jan 6, 2018

Enourmo posted:

So last year I picked up a set of HyperX Clouds. They've been great, but something happened in the last week and now the left ear doesn't work. I tried wiggling the wire and got it to work again for a few seconds, but it went away and I haven't gotten it to work again since. I've also found that it's kind of annoying in voice chat; the sound isolation is so good I can't hear my own voice, and apparently live monitor has to be a built-in feature of the headphones, which these don't have.

So, what's a good over-ear headset, with built-in monitor, for under, say, $100?

Edit for info from the OP:

Budget - $100, maybe up to 150 if needed.
Source - Desktop, current headphones are USB. I don't have a fancy sound card or anything.
Isolation Requirements - Not really needed, whatever sounds good.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circum-aural 1st, super-aural 2nd.
Preferred Tonal Balance - No idea. I kinda listen to a mix of everything, so neutral I guess?
Past Headphones - HyperX Cloud 2. Very comfortable, good sound quality. Cord sheath makes it a bit stiff and awkward to maneuver.
Preferred Music - Heavy metal, electronic. Also do a lot of gaming, youtube/podcasts, and voice chat.

I have found that the best way to approach headphones or headsets in this case is to spend big and be happy with them. I got the Astro A40's with mix amp and they have served me really well. I went through countless turtle beach (crapola) headsets and razer ones also, but they never seemed to go the distance, especially for the price that I would pay for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU