Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hello
Looking for a set of IEMs to replace/upgrade my Sennheiser CX475s. Price: under $120

I've been searching and looking at reviews now for a couple days and it is making me more confused than it should. I like heavy bass, deep subwoofer type music, but also without sacrificing high end and juicy mids. I listen to dubstep, reggae, heavy metal, and some jazz if it matters.

A lot of IEMs seem to skimp on bass response. This is a red flag for me. I do use a hacked Samsung Galaxy phone with Voodoo Sound (enables the built in headphone amp for the Wolfson DAC) and it has incredible sound quality with plenty of power. So I think I have the amp covered if I need one.

So far I have been looking at Yamaha, Sony, and Sennheiser IEM's around $100 but after cross checking reviews I am no closer to picking a pair than before. It seems like 13mm+ drivers would be good for deep bass but most reviews say those type drivers sacrifice mids and highs... no good.

Can you guys recommend some models for me to check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

The Velodyne V-Pulse and Monster Turbines would probably suit your needs.

Also, don't get caught up in driver size as it relates to output. The JVC FX1X, for example, puts out a poo poo-ton of bass and it has an 8.5MM driver. It's far, far more important to get a proper seal.

Thanks. Monster and me do not get along so I will check out the Velodyne V-Pulse.
[edit] I read some reviews, seems most people say it is bass heavy and has recessed mids. I would really like something more balanced with a good sound stage and yet can dip really low when bass is called for. Still overall reviews are very good.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 15, 2013

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I got the VPulse phones after you guys recommendation and a bunch of reviews I read. Unfortunately they came in defective.. I think. when I push the right earbud into my ear I get a wicked crackling sound like cellophane crinkling... but they sound perfectly good with no distortion. But its a deal breaker, that poo poo would drive me nuts.

Anyone seen anything like that?

[edit] thanks for the recommendation, these sound EXACTLY like I wanted

redeyes fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 22, 2013

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Midorka posted:

It's driver flex. Some IEMs do that but it's no problem.

Say what?! It sounds like the driver is being torn in pieces, its not a nice sound in my ear. Also, if I just push on the bud while in my ear it does that rotten crinkling sound.

What do you think?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 23, 2013

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So the recommendation for the Vpulse earbuds.. goddamn dudes. Those things hit my ears harder than my in-house 12" Blue Sky subwoofer. It's absolutely insane how transparent these buds are for my tastes. They can dip LOW like 25-30hz and no problem, rattle my loving fillings out, and then go to slut-banging metal and even nice sweet jazz and all of it sounds very natural and full bodied and wonderful.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So since the Velodyne vPulse IEMs are so badass, my woman decided to get a pair from Amazon too. She wanted pink which came from a different seller but again on Amazon.

Have a look:

Real is on left, faux on right. And yeah they sound like loving poo poo. Amazon was great and refunded me immediately.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just going to throw this out there: I produce a bit of music and also enjoy watching bands live. I think the idea of 'flat response' is loving insane. A good headphone should reproduce EVERYTHING so you can hear it properly, and that includes bass in the area of 40-60hz and also high end treble. Any live band will be pumping the bass and you can generally feel it.. that is the way the music was supposed to be heard.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I see it like this: flat response phones generally mean lacking bass and high end treble and are supposed to be for mastering music tracks in a studio situation. These types of speakers sound like utter poo poo for actual music listening because they sound flat and dull compared to basically ANY consumer speakers or headphones.

IEMs are mostly used for music enjoyment but can also be used in a live situation (but probably not studio) as monitors for their instruments.

I just don't see anyone enjoying flat response IEMs or speakers. I guess they may exist but they are probably just fooling themselves into liking their super expensive phones.. like this:

quote:

You don't want balanced headphones, I thought the same thing and intentionally lost my Beyer T70. They make music sound so boring.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yep, you got me! Nobody could possible disagree with you and those who do are not only lying to you, but also to themselves.

jesus christ dude, this might work better if it sounded like you had any idea what you were talking about.

Calm down, notice how I said 'I'. Its my opinion, just like yours which is wrong.

quote:

So when someone says flat they mean something that emphasizes no frequency

Flat tends to also mean that they lack low bass and treble. At least in the studio equipment that I use.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 13, 2013

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so Velodyne vPulse phones. I purchased a pair from this threads recommendation. They were the 2012 revision, key word REVISION. They have incredible sound and bass to kill for. So I bought another pair after the first and after 3 months one of the phones went out and went silent. I sent that pair back and got the 2013 revision vPulse back.

Ready? The new vPulse are redesigned and sound like utter dogshit. The bass is sloppy and boomy. The highs are muted and not nice and mids are resessed. Basically the 2013 vPulse sound like $25 dollar phones.. utter garbage. Also the sound port hole is not only smaller but has this cheap poo poo plastic covering instead of a nice metal grill.

Have a look:

2012 model on left, 2013 model on right, the 2013 model was received directly from Velodyne's RMA dept.

I threw a huge poo poo-fit to their RMA dept and they sent me a pair of the 2012 models.. which are apparently known for one of the sides dieing. loving great.

So in conclusion, take the vPulse off the recommendation list. Their company outsourced the build to some poo poo cheap Chinese company and now they are trash.

[edit] I will say this though. Velodyne has a great RMA dept with good customer support. They have called me personally multiple times about this issue and eventually sent me a 2012 pair of good sounding vPulse. They just called me again and said they were sorry about this fiasco and although they couldn't guaranty a date or anything, they are going to be redesigning them again and hoped to win me as a customer back. I just wanted to be fair with this information.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 27, 2014

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So, can anyone recommend a set of high quality in-ears that have bass comparable to the vPulse while still having good mids and highs?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In case anyone was still trying to get Velodyne Vpulse phones, don't. Velodyne outsourced to this poo poo company "Don Scorpio": http://penonaudio.com/DONSCORPIO-Bass-Colour?manufacturer_id=45

And yes that is the exact headphone for about 29.00 on ebay.

So after fighting with Velodyne about these drat things... they outsourced to an even cheaper company than DON SCORPIO, and both my pairs shorted out (cord died). gently caress them.

I am a bass head but hate V type sound signatures. I like nice recessed mellow treble with smooth mids and bass that goes down to subwoofer levels easily.. not OMG PUNCHY but extremely detailed and extended. I can use DSPs to fine tune my sound but I have to have deep accurate bass. The older Velodynes have this quality with perhaps a bit less mids and higher treble than I would like.

So far I am looking at Sony MDR-XB90EX, Sony XBA-C10IP, JVC Xtreme Xplosives HA-FX3X Earphone , and HiSoundAudio HW2 Wooduo 2 which are getting really good reviews.

I don't want to spend more than say $130 and if I do spend that much I would prefer something without poo poo cords that break after a year.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 5, 2014

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried Sony XB90EX imports from Japan? I decided to try a pair after my Vpulses shat the bed and Velodyne doesn't make the same IEMs anymore, they are cheap sounding and,.. well just cheap.

I love bass but not particularly forward stuff, just really quality low subwoofer type bass.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone tell me more about the latest hyped chinese iems: TTPOD T1-Enhanced
http://www.dx.com/p/ttpod-t1-enhanced-3-5mm-hi-fi-in-ear-earphone-blue-silver-white-334983

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sorbus posted:

I got a pair some time ago. Sound is great, comes with lots of accessories. Only thing I dislike is that the cable is a bit too long for my taste.

Kinda like the xiaomi piston except less boomy.

I just got a pair and they are honestly pretty fantastic. The upper range is to die for, warm, sensual, all those adjectives. The low end is very nice but not as low reaching as the vPulse.. so far. I'll say this, for what they were, the vpulse were incredibly good and maybe unmatachable. Still the low end is great and good enough for any style of music.

I also got a pair of Sony XB90EX Imports from Japan and I don't quite know what to make of them. My initial reaction is sound stage is HUGE MASSIVE, almost dance hall style.. probably too much for me. The bass is basically incredible but not as well controlled as the vPulse or even the TTPODs. It ranks up there with huge over the head style phones. The highs are eh so far.. thin and technical. Not warm and vibrant. Internet says pink noise for 50 hours is in order but given that they were 80 bux I doubt I will have them that long.

[edit] Burned the Sonys in with pink noise for 2 hours (nothing really) and my god. There is something to these buds. The sound stage is comparable to Sennheiser over the head open types.. with fantastic noise blocking. Its REALLY odd and something I have never heard before. The technical aspect of the highs is melting into a warmer sound stage but still massive. [2nd edit] The sound stage is a hang up for me. I can't listen to anything technical: it sounds like its being played 200 feet away.. for some music this sound totally incredible but this is the minority

redeyes fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 9, 2014

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So say I wanted the same kind of sound as the TTPOD T1-E, with even more low bass if possible. Is that possible? I'm really impressed with these IEMs. They pretty much are as good as any other IEM I have tried and better than most.. and for sure for $36. I really like the sound signature.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got one of these HiFimeDIY mini Android Sabre DAC's for my Galaxy Note II. I find its output to be loving incredible and highly recommended. Easily beating any other Android phones stock audio system in fidelity and warmth. http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/android-dac
You just pug it into a modern Android phone and it takes over for the audio output. Volume controls still work. It's output is loud enough to drive mobile style headphones/buds but not to ear shattering levels. Enough for most people however.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

axia posted:

Budget - $100 or less
Source - various things, usually a laptop, occasionally my phone
Isolation Requirements - nope
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - true reproduction
Past Headphones - Bose TriPort
Preferred Music - Any and all types of music

What do you all say to these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328
Looks like great reviews on amazon and newegg, and newegg is running them for $75 which seems like a good price. I have Bose Tri-Port over ear phones right now and I have liked their sound, but they are getting tired and worn. The ear cups need replacing and Bose wants $35 for some fake leather and foam replacements. I figured I'd just try something new instead - or I can save my money and get knockoff earpads from china for like $10.

Go Chinese! http://penonaudio.com/DONSCORPIO-Dolphin

I'm being dead serious that the reviews I have seen rate these way the hell up there. Far far passed the pair you linked.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Midorka posted:

And the customer support is absolutely awful from reports.

Oh it goes without saying, I wouldn't even expect support.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am on a quest to replace my Velodyne Vpulse with something that is better build quality but has equal or better bass response.
I am not kidding that so far I have never heard another set of phones/buds that have the low end response and texture of the VPulse while still maintaining the refined highs and mids of a high end IEM.

So far I have tried these models:

Velodyne vPulse v1 (ending in 2012) - incredible bass, sub bass, and texture, highs are refined and not pushed, mids are slightly recessed but nice
velodyne vPulse v2 (2012 - current) - bloated bass, bad texture, highs are muddy and so are mids, a poor IEM, still huge amounts of subbass though

TTPOD T1-E - High bass is quite forward, mids are beautiful, treble is good but fatiguing compared to the Vpulse, maybe slightly more refined

Senheiser CX300 - not much subbass or high treble, all mids and stuffy sound

Sony XB90EX - absolutely stunning bass and sub bass texture, massive sound stage but not accurate to the recording, highs and mids are very poor and muddy, these probably sound good for classical and jazz

HTC One M8 IEM - bloated mid bass, no sub bass, boxy highs and mids, horrible IEMs

Ultimate Ears 500 - thin sound, decent mids and highs, no sub bass, midbass is ok, horrible build quality

Any help would be highly appreciated because I am having a hard time finding recommendations for a vPulse beater.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 12, 2014

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well since I haven't been able to find a good comparable product to the Velodyne Vpulse, I decided to try the DonScorpio Bass Colour models since they look like they are actually the older 2012 version of the vpluse. Time will tell but for 40 bux, hard to go wrong.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Got the Donscorpio Bass Colour (Velodyne vPulse clone/oem)
These are far less V shaped than the vPulse, but have the exact same build and construction as the 2012 vpulse. They sound retuned to my ear, mids are more forward and treble is sweet and not siblant. Bass goes as low as the vpulse if eq'd as such but out of the box, far less. I have a feeling you guys would love these suckers. I would say they are kind of a cross between the vPulse and TTPOD T1E. Low sub bass performance of the vpulse but with more the TTPOD highs and mids.

Cost me around $40 which was 30 for the phones and 10 in shipping.. so nothing major.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a question about "burn in" which is basically does it exist. Internet articles say it is a bunch of BS and its your ears getting used to a particular sound but reviewers claim burn in is essential for most phones. What do goons say?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Got the Narmoo S1 coming in, the dual dynamic driver seems nice and they are recommended by joker for a good basshead IEM. I still just adore my vpulse phones so I am going to repair the cable. The cable is easy to solder copper so there is that. I am not kidding when I say they have the best bass of any headphone I have ever heard.

Also, the Don Scorpio's are not so great, after I burned them in the treble seems to have a serious peak that I cannot stand and thus, can't use em. Also the little zipper case broke instantly and 2 of the earbuds had cracked rubber.. so forget em. They are not cheaper vPulses by any stretch of the imagination.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 30, 2014

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Narmoo S1 is one badass mofo. Bass like vPulse, treble and mids like a higher end IEM. Really good for the price! Awesome soundstage and build quality as well. Highly recommended for bassheads.
[edit] I REALLY like these suckers. Probably one of my favorite IEMs I have ever heard.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 31, 2014

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've tried quite a few pairs of IEMs and nothing for me comes close to the Velodyne vPulse's. As such I have 4 loving pairs, all broken on channel. I almost refuse to buy any more.

Recommendations for a sound signature exactly like the vPulse? IE Subbass that goes down forever, has perfect texture and control. Mids that are not resessed, treble that is nice and non-fatiguing? Especially no mid-bass bloat.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Still looking for vpulse replacements... :(

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cool, looks interesting. The best part of the vPulse are the insane sub bass with almost no bloat. Mids and treble are refined and plain NICE.

So if these can hit that mark, woohoo!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking for IEMs that do not have a V signature but have 'relaxed' highs and powerful sub-lows... and NO bloated mid-bass. Previously the best IEMs that fit this were the Velodyne VPulse which are discontinued. Any ideas?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I'm looking forward to having an excuse to buy this.
I'm not crazy about the idea of a stepped attenuator but I'll admit I'm curious about the technology. I'm also gonna make 50' balanced headphone cables just to justify the use of the balanced outputs.

I avoided the deal the first time because I was convinced that I wanted the HD600 over the 650. After hearing both I can tell you that there's not enough of a difference between them for me to care, or own both. If anything, the 600 has a little less of the 'Sennheiser Veil' but is still plenty nice for long listens. (I'm a fan of smooth easy headphones, and the Sennheiser veil)

Oh jesus. Not this loving thing again. Audiophile bullshit

Try something with no snakeoil: https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got some Monoprice XXX IEMs. They have 10mm dynamic driver and 2 balanced armatures. For $35 bux these are a STEAL.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18516

The mids and highs are clear as hell. Bass goes low.. no LOWER. Effortless sub bass with no mid bass hump. Treble is a tad high but I think with a little burn in these are gonna be holy F#$# great. Its really hard to find IEMs with both good sub bass and clear mids and highs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

I was gifted some Jaybird X3s for xmas and I'm surprised how awful they sound - even with good fit and messing with the EQ in the associated app. Do these take a few hours to burn in before they're decent?

For context since this stuff is relative, I'm not an over-the-top audiophile, but I normally listen to music via Shure SRH1540s or the upgraded sound system in my car (a modern car with a decent surround system and I've added an aftermarket deck, subwoofer). I've also had like $20 skullcandy IEMs and they sounded much better than these jaybirds. The consensus online seems to be that they're fine - did I get a dud pair? They just have no low end and the midrange is really muddy.

No, its because people that are used to bluetooth stuff have way lower expectations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

Looking for a cheap (around $30) wireless earbuds/headsets for listening to music and watching Youtube on my phone and tablet. Needs to be easily carried around, so nothing big. Not looking for anything fancy, just that it has decent sound and maybe battery life too.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18516

Those ROCK. spend the extra 5 bux. They sound like $100 IEMs no joke.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah these are really good for the $30 ish range.

I've heard quite a few pairs of IEMs under a 100 bux and these are my favorites. Easy to drive, the bass is outstanding. Mids are clear as heck, treble as well. One 10mm dynamic driver for bass and 2 balanced armatures for mids and treble. Great value.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My first pair of Koss Porta Pros was around like 1987 maybe.. wow. Still making the same pair?!!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Any recommendations on a pair of IEMs with really good bass response, flatish mids, non-piercing highs? Ive got 4 pairs of Velodyne Vpulse and they rock but are made like poo poo and die eventually. I've tried a bunch of other good-rated IEMs and their bass response is sad compared to the vpulse. I don't mean BASSHEAD OMG nothing but bass type tuning, more just something that can dip down to subwoofer lows with no effort.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Well jesus, I believe you. Very affordable IEMs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'd get one of these if I had a nice set of IEMs and didn't want to get bluetooth only headphones:
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-BTR1-Bl...phone+amplifier

and this one on the higher end:
https://www.amazon.com/EarStudio-ES...0720AVE5MWGZXJF

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 20, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

5-HT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2jHbaGST_Q

awesome video, goes over Harman Curve compensation and other things wrt testing methods

Really cool video. I wish they had more reviews up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

I keep my PC and all applicable software set to 100% volume then do the rest via the volume knob on my Jotunheim.

Same when it comes to digital volumes, max is best.