Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Quick question, I picked up a set of HD 598 Cs for a reasonably nice headset mainly for gaming. But I'm finding (much like the old HD280s sets I used long ago) that they are just too tight to wear with glasses comfortably.

Thinking about returning them to Amazon and getting something else, could anyone recommend something similarly good and same price range (got on sale for 100$) that they can say does not cause discomfort when wearing glasses? My previous pair that were totally comfortable were the NVX XPT100, but the band on those broke after I dropped them on the floor. :goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I should post up my full requirements in case there's an obvious choice in the matter:

Budget - 100-150$ USD range
Source - PC with Headphone jack.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural ideally. IEMs are a no-go.
Usage - Primarily gaming, some music. Most Importantly: Needs to be comfortable to wear with glasses for long durations.
Past Headphones - NVX XPT100, extremely comfortable, I really enjoyed these but the headband section that held the cup broke. Something with this style of cups or level of tightness would be great.
- Sennheiser HD 598 Cs, these were much too tight, became very uncomfortable with glasses after about an hour or so of use.

So I'm seeing lots of recommendations for models such as ATH-M50x, ATH-AD700X, etc, can anyone who wears glasses comment on what is/isn't comfortable?

I've also seen comments on reddit about replacement pads such as these for various models, I dunno if that'd be closer to the style i'm looking for or what but I'm not against trying something like that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lowness 72 posted:

So I know you tried the 598C but have you tried the open back version? I wear glasses and they are my go to most comfortable headphone for home use. I also have the ad700x and find the wings don't offer enough support.

I haven't, I wish there was a decent place to actually try headsets out before you buy them. :(

Thanks for all the assorted advice guys, I'm gonna think about what to do for a bit first. The 598C's have started getting painful after like, 30-60 minutes which has been rough. I'll probably try the ATH-AD700X next if I decide to return these.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you tried stretching them over a stack of books or the arm of a sofa?

Not yet but I'm gonna try doing that first and see if it helps before I decide.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Thanks for the continued suggestions guys, figured I'd throw out an update. I gave my Senns a while longer, stretching them when not in use, but they just never really got comfortable for me. Even after they lightened up on my glasses, the speaker itself was digging into my ear a little bit (one of my ears sticks out a lot more than the other, it's annoying and silly looking).

So, I returned them and swapped them for the ATH-AD700X. First though: Actually too loose, they kept trying to slide down my head and rest on the top of my ears. But very easily fixed by putting an oversized hair tie on the top bands to gently add a tiny bit of extra tension, now they fit pretty much perfect. It's ... kind of silly, but it doesn't even look out of place, and I don't even notice it's there.
My only other very minor complaint is that the material of the pads is not quite as nice and smooth as I'd like, as the pads are very big and touching my beard so they get a tiny bit scratchy I looked if there were any nice replacement pads that were inexpensive and not hard to install, but couldn't really find anything solid, and it's so minor I don't think I'll really worry about it.

So I'm thinking I'll keep these then. Any recommendations for a mic for these? Since the cord does not appear to be detachable, and I'd prefer to not physically attach something to the cups, maybe something that attaches to the existing cord?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I saw a bunch of replacement pads on Amazon/eBay etc but I couldn't find anyone saying anything about who makes quality stuff that won't wear out quickly etc etc. There's stuff like this which looks nice but uh, Unbranded from China doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Any idea if it's hard to replace the pads?

E: Oh, AT does sell replacement pads on their site as well, but it looks like the AD700X pads are out of stock. Can't tell what material they are made out of from the page though. I bet some of the other model pads would work ... like these are for the ATH-A700, are these the original style cups you were talking about?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 10, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Still a little back and forth on my ATH-AD700X so far, some days I don't notice them at all and other days they are kind of immediately uncomfortable. Softer cups would help a lot, but the top wings still feel a little odd regardless ...

Also this explains something, apparently the NVX-XPT100 and Brainwavz and Yogas headsets are all made by the same manufacturer (fostex I guess), I was wondering why some of them looked identical to one another. Love those style of cups but the holder on my NVX broke which is why I was replacing them in the first place. The ATH-M50x looks like it has a similar design of cup holder, I wonder if they are as prone to breaking or not.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Constellation I posted:

The old style AD700 pads were velour instead of the scratchy cloth pads they're using now. If you google image AD700s compared to the X's, you'll see that the older pads were thicker too. In terms of replacement ear pads, these ones from eBay are pretty good.

http://stores.ebay.com/wang-yifei-2009/_i.html?_nkw=Ad700&submit=Search&_sid=987974435

I got the thick "velour" version to replace my lovely AD900X pads. There's also another on that page that looks like the older pads but I can't vouch for their quality. The ones I got are pretty good though.

As for the headband, are the headphones too big on you? People have been using a rubber band to connect the wings together to combat that. I find that the AD700/900 fits me perfectly so can't really help you there.

Yeah I mentioned that in my first post about them, I used an elastic hair tie to add a tiny bit more tension to the wings and they are just about perfect there now.

So those Thick Velour pads are actually thicker than the stock ones too? That does sound good actually, think I might pick some of those up and try them then.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Constellation I posted:

Yeah, keep in mind I'm basing this off of the following:

I own the original AD700 (the ugly purple ones). The pads on that thing was perfect, they were thick, velour and slightly angled.

I saw a good deal on the AD900X a couple of years ago and got it because I wanted less ugly headphones and hey I'm going up a model so it's gotta sound a little better right? When they arrived, I was pretty disappointed that the earpads were some sort of scratchy cloth material and it was a lot thinner. The clamp was tighter and the air wings were hollow and a lot less padding on them.

I'm assuming your AD700X's are pretty much the same thing with different drivers. I looked on Amazon and this guy's pictures do a decent job in showing the differences. https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RHJFT1SGEDWI6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009S331VU

Anyway, these are the ones I got and they're pretty good. They're thicker than the stock ones for sure. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thick-Velour-Ear-Pads-Cushion-ATH-AD-1000-X-2000-X-900-X-700-X-Headphones-/251699464310?var=&hash=item8032df84e7

These look more like the original AD700 earpads that I like, but I can't vouch for them since I never tried it. Not sure if they'd fit on the X's either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Replacement-Cushion-ATH-AD700-AD900-AD400-AD-700-900-Headphone-/251398544394?var=&hash=item8021c2fc61

E: Re:Followup on this one, after a little more time with the replacement pads I think I actually like them less than the stock ones. :shrug:

I swapped the originals back on and I'm debating if I want to keep these or try yet another pair of headphones. I'm looking at something with non-fabric cups that are fairly deep, like maybe the CB-1s?

At least I'm learning a lot through all of this, about what is or isn't important to me in a decent pair of headphones. And it turns out my ears stick out a lot and are very sensitive to irritation.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 27, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Constellation I posted:

You can try the Brainwavz HM5 pads, they come in a variety of materials. Sounds like leather is better for you. But I dunno, the depth of the HM5 pads and those ones are about the same. Most headphones don't really come with super deep ear pads, you'd have to get replacement ones like Mr. Speakers alpha pads or something.

EDIT: I forgot how deep CB-1 pads look. Yeah, those might work for you, they look almost as thick as Mr Speakers Alpha Pads from screenshots online.

Yeah see my previous headphones were NVX XPT100's, which were rebranded/clone of Brainwavz HM5s. So something up that alley might work best. Sounds like the CB-1s have a good return policy and there's a 15% off coupon so maybe I'll pick them up and try them out and return whichever one I don't like better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Looking for a another recommendation today since I just got a bit of birthday spending cash:

Budget - $50, but fairly flexible to go up in price.
Source - Switch, 3DS for games. Work laptop, iPhone 6S for music.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs
Past Headphones - Status Audio CB-1 for my main computer.
Bonus Points - Something that might be comfortable for lying in bed? Something with an L-shaped cord. Something with different colored L/Rs. Replaceable cord. No mic needed.

I think that about covers it. I've eyeballed some of things mentioned recently like the Linsoul KZ ZS10 Pro, but I'm not sure if something like that is good for what I'm using them for.