Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
So the MEElectronics M6Ps I ordered came in, and I'm not a fan of the fit (especially the memory cord), and the rather astoundingly cheap build quality (especially the volume/mic controls). I'll give them a few more days and play around the the flange size, but I'll probably end up returning them.

Anyone have any recommendations for an exercise pair of earbuds with an iphone remote/mic around $75-$100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
So nobody has a recommendation for non-poo poo exercise earbuds? At this point I'm pretty sure whoever told me to buy the M6P was secretly trying to punish me for my past posting misdeeds.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
is the Shure SE215 no drat good? I liked my pair of SE115 and the e2c pair I had before that

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midorka posted:

As for M6, they are the best quality/price ratio for exercise IEMs you will find.
is there anything that is more expensive but has a better remote function? the m6p is just an external slider, not a integrated control like on past remotes I have used. I don't mind spending more on something I'll be using drat near everyday

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Hey remember when you got all goon lord on me for getting my Schiit rig when I noted that I liked the aesthetics? Pretty sweet of you do the same thing a few months later, bro. Glad to hear you got over your super principled dislike of the company!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dillweed posted:

Huh. Alright, sounds like I'll probably go for the Magni then. Cheaper than a pre-built O2 here, and I'd rather have the input on the back anyway.
Not so fast, dude! Our pal had some quite negative opinions about their products in the very recent past!

Midorka of Christmas Past posted:

gently caress Schiit. What a joke company.

I hate Schiit.

l just loving hate Schiit and their business practices and the image they give off

They are poorly designed nice looking paperweights that have destroyed headphones. overpriced snake-oil

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midorka posted:

Yup, you're right. I'm eating my words. To be fair, when I had my attitude towards them it was still relatively recent after they had the relay problems that they denied and it was damaging headphones. They did a great job replacing the relays though and they also released the Modi and Magni which is priced incredibly cheap. I doubt they're making a big profit. It doesn't hurt that I'm in direct contact with Jason, the owner of Schiit, and he's a real stand-up guy. I'm eating my words now though.

Edit: You should probably stop the sarcastic onslaught though.
If you think an "Internet Expert" is gonna get a pass on pulling a complete 180 on a hysterical, dumbfuck opinion then you seriously need to get a reality check. Constantly giving out recommendations as if they were the revealed word of Jesus Christ then backtracking once you simply change your "attitude" is a doing a disservice to everyone who comes in this thread looking for advice.

You should probably be a little more reluctant to post post post.

Dillweed posted:

I've seen vitriol directed towards them before and their honest reactions and actions going towards solving issues, so I'm not too worried about dealing with them. And no worries about cabling as I have enough to last me if/when the current ones deteriorate.
If you do have any issues, their customer service is among the best. Hard to beat getting an e-mail from the Guy In Charge within 90 minutes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Agreed posted:

Ah man cut him a break, he admitted he was hasty and in my opinion he's had a lot of experience since then. This may be a pet issue for you, but it's clearly no longer a pet issue for him, he said he was sorry for hurting your feelings before, and that he was wrong at that - who admits guilt on the internet?? woah - let's just all chill out :)
I am. That doesn't mean we don't all need a reminder to be a little less beholden to Internet Experts and the whole Flavor of the Month-ism that drives this and other hobbies. If somebody is gonna lay out a few hundred bucks on something, it needs to be for actual reasons, not Head-Fi bullshit nerd vendettas. I would be pretty pissed if I spent my money on something one week, just to hear the same person who was badmouthing it do a compete about-face the next.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How is the Valhalla?
I like mine a whole huggy bunch. Great product, great customer service. Fairly cheap way to get into tube amps without having some hideous Little Dot or other shoddy made in China POS.

No idea about an update. It hasn't been out more than a few years.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
what's the latest recommendation for a pair of gym/jog earbuds under $100? The MEE M6 I've had for a past year or so were okay, except for the volume switch shorting out the left channel almost immediately after I got them.

I have a pair of older Shure buds that I like a ton, but the cable got damaged so I lost the left channel. Could I just get those repaired?

Ultimate Mango posted:

The O2 is definitely nice. I have an LCD-XC and an AudioEngine D1. I don't like it with the LCD so I did the crowd funding thing for a Geek Pulse, which I hope doesn't kill them.
I should have just gotten some Schiit.
I've had a Valhalla and Bifrost powering my K702s for a few years now and I've never considered changing anything. great sound and doesn't look like some plastic DIY bullshit on my desk. I mean seriously, do you really need an LCD dB readout on a headphone amp or DAC? my only beef is the power switch is on the back, and that's admittedly a small quibble, as I haven't lit myself up on the tubes trying to turn it off yet.

some of the the kickstarter and indiegogo amp combos look pretty good, the Geek Pulse among them, but I feel like most of them are trying too hard to compete on blue led features to stand out from the competition. the less i have to think about something like a headphone amp, the better.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 23, 2015

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I need gym earbuds with microphone for under let's say $120. please do not recommend Meetronics, as I hate the ones I have now

Midorka posted:

Don't spend a lot for gym phones. Meelectronics M6 is the most I'd pay for a gym pair.
mine shorted out in like 2 weeks because the volume control is cheap dogshit. do not buy these.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 1, 2015

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midorka posted:

they lasted my ex through even worse abuse
lol I bet

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my MEE M6 that never worked right and I always hated finally broke. can anybody a pair of good gym/studying earbuds/IEMs/whatever that have a built in remote and aren't crap?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the headband/suspension thing and earpads on my 10-year-old AKG702 headphones is wearing out. is there anywhere I could get replacement parts or refurbished?

also just replaced the first set of tubes on 4.5-year-old my Schitt Valhalla. very impressed with the tube life, considering how much I used the thing.

edit: lol this thing sounds crazy better now that i'm not using worn-rear end tubes.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 19, 2017

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
anyone know of any good circumaural bluetooth headphones for watching TV? ~$50 or so, doesn't need to be audiophile poo poo

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DoLittle posted:

I was looking at them and normal bluetooth has too high latency for TV. You need bluetooth headphones that support aptX-LL ja a compatible transmitter for the TV. None of the receivers (like Yamaha) that support bluetooth transmission support aptX-LL. So a separate transmitter is needed (ebay has options).

aptX-LL compatible headphones: https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=484&field_product_category_tid=125
would I not be able to sync them using the audio delay setting on the TV?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

8-bit Miniboss posted:

For a band aid sure, but without low latency the syncing will drift apart over time.
WELL poo poo

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
thanks for the tip on the low latency protocol - i had no idea. I picked up the Avantree Audition Pro for $60

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TenementFunster posted:

thanks for the tip on the low latency protocol - i had no idea. I picked up the Avantree Audition Pro for $60
hell yeah these own and i'll never have to hear another episode of Grey's Anatomy ever again

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
tired of loving with tubes and want to trade out my Schiit Valhalla 1 + Bifrost 4490 that i've had for about 8 years now.

should I get the Asgard 3 + Bifrost 2, or Jotenheim, or comedy option Jotenheim + Bifrost 2? i'm listening to pop, jazz, and various weeb poo poo.

I'm using old-rear end AKG702s that are mostly replacement parts by now, and will probably get some HD6xxs when the AKGs finally die. I assume I don't need to give a gently caress about balanced cables.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Hamelekim posted:

I have the Jotenheim with the dac module, but just upgraded to the Drop TXH amp with the refreshed RME DAC, which is very nice.
are you selling the Jotenheim?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Hamelekim posted:

dm me about it if you are interested.
llllllllowtaaaaaaxxxx!!!!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Hamelekim posted:

Is that a no no? I wasn't selling they were asking. Or should I have just dm'ed him about it and left the conversation unfinished?
no, it’s me cursing dear richard because i get banned all the time and dont have plat.

how much would you want for the amp, tho?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Hamelekim posted:

I'll make a post in SA Mart once I take a photo of the thing. Might be a bit as I am sick right now with a two week cough and sinus infection that I am hoping doesn't turn into coronavirus. Probably going rate on the used market for one with the multibit dac plus shipping, or pickup if local to Vancouver area, Canada.
oh i’ll pass then. i don’t need the DAC and the multibit is a pricey option. also canada.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
apparently i just dropped my 12-year-old AKG K702s for the last time, and the right channel has died. is there any point in trying to put these things on ebay for the parts?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i need a headphone recommendation.

i had some AKG K702s that I had for a decade and really liked them, but a driver crapped out recently after getting dropped 10,000 times, and I was tired of replacing old/broken parts.

i got some HD6xxs to replace them, but i'm not totally blown away. I'd just get another set of K702s, but i'm pissed at Harmon Kardon for shipping production off to China.

i'd like something that sounds like the K702, and I also like the Grado SR125s i've had forever, but the Grados just aren't comfortable on my head.

How do the beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro's compare to the K702? I'd be driving them with a Schiit Asgard 3 and a Bifrost 2

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
hi thread. i replaced my Valhalla 2 with a Asgard 3 in March 2020 when I upgraded my Bifrost 1 to a Bifrost 2. the Asgard is a great amp for $200, but I missed the Valhalla 2's warmer sound (but not the tube worries). after almost a year, Schiit finally has Jotunheim 2s back in stock, so i'm A/Bing the Asgard and Jot2. the Jot2 sounds "warmer" and more like the Valhalla 2 than the Asgard 3, so I'll probably be keeping the Jotunheim and selling the Asgard. i can probably get about $200 for it, since the Covid chip shortage has them backordered for months.

also suck my dick, Midorka. glad that guy died.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ok Comboomer posted:

wait......what?
the original poster of this thread, Something Awful Forums User “Midorka,” died approximately 6 years ago from the side effects of being annoying as hell all the time. RIP.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i was prepared for the balanced interconnection cables on my jot2 to make no audible difference, but i'm A/Bing them with the SE cables and man they do actually sound better. more detail and wider soundstage, which addresses my primary complaints about the HD6xx. very cool upgrade for $40.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

qirex posted:

If Zeos/ZReviews has covered any of the ones you're looking at he can be a good source for actually talking about how they are to use.
that guy is a clown among clowns.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Didn't get a lot of feedback here so I'm going to try the buds. Bose Quiet comfort.
I pray they're half as nice as the corded quiet comfort wired ear buds with the stupid battery brick near the 3.5mm end.

Sigh. Long live the king.
if those don’t work for you, the sony wf-1000xm3 (or is it 4 now?) are great for noise-canceling ear buds! over the ears are more effective for plane noise, but i love the buds for the gym and errands.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've got some that I bought off sa mart. They loving won't stay in my ears. I wear them but they slowly come out. I legitimately dislike them. Thank you for the advice. No dice :(
you gotta get the comply brand foam tips for em!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Rakeris posted:

I took the advice of some random gently caress on the internet years ago to never buy gamer branded (audio) anything and just get a separate mic and good headphones from non gamer brands, and have never looked back. (Maybe some exceptions now days?)

Not only does it sound way better to me, but also makes me sound way better. Can't tell you how many people ask me how I sound so good on web conferences, and all I have is a Samson meteor mic I payed 50$ for 7 years ago.

Plus if anything breaks or you want to upgrade, you have more options.
big same. i refuse to pay the RGB gamer tax. i love the rode mini usb mic and no gamer headphones have ever come close to the mass drop focals

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Boba Pearl posted:

The DAC made a huge difference which makes me think my onboard sound card or dongle was kind of garbage, but holy poo poo, I thought I liked music, but actually I really really really love listening to music now.
it's incredible how much better/further ~$100 goes now. FiiO/Schiit/etc have absolutely maximized what is possible for not a lot of money. back in college, i paid ~$200 for the piece of poo poo Headroom Airhead which didn't even have a DAC. for such a niche hobby thing, the progress has been incredible.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ROJO posted:

OK, heard loud and clear I think. How would I go about determining what a good headphone upgrade (or even sidegrade) would be? It all seems pretty subjective, and without having a place to go try them out (maybe those places exist?), I feel like I would be taking a stab in the dark.

My only real requirement is they need to be closed (share an office with my wife) and I have a giant dome (size 8 fitted hats).
[contrarian zone] if you buy some fancy headphones, you're gonna want to get a dedicated amp/dac as well, so might as well try a ~$100 Schiit Fulla or FiiO K3/E10K/whatever or equilvant try to see if that makes you any happier. i can't imagine paying more than ATH-M50 money for a pair of headphones just to raw dog them right out of a motherboard header.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

there's nothing inherently wrong with motherboard audio except that it's often badly implemented and noisy. if it isn't noisy and you get enough volume and it doesn't sound obviously worse than, say, your phone, then hooray you're not missing anything and there's zero reason to spend money.

if it is noisy, you can get an apple usb-c adapter for 8 bucks and solve the problem that way.

the reasons to get an external amp/dac are:

- I require more power to drive my headphones and dongles won't cut it
- I need to integrate my headphones into my existing stereo setup
- I need a real volume knob

that's pretty much it.
yes, correct. all anyone needs is an apple dongle hooked up to some porta pros. :unsmith:

anyway, somebody get focal to put their drivers in a sennheiser headset. i love how the elex sounds so much more than the HD-6XX and K702, but jesus they are conspicuously heavier

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yep, sure, that's exactly what I said. really wrapped up my whole post there, great job goon.
you're welcome!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

nrook posted:

This sounds like there is absolutely no reason to get an external amp if I already have a pair of speakers with a headphone jack. Good to know!
correct!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

wait i thought you were being sarcastic, so i was sarcastic, but i suppose you weren't so i take back being a jerk. :unsmith:
fear not, sweet goon. among the ~*^audiophile community^*~, a practical suggestion is indistinguishable from sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

njsykora posted:

when this thread was made Airpods didn't exist.
wait, that' can't be rig-[turns into pilar of ash]