Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

notZaar posted:

I have a pair of HD555 that I use exclusively on my PC. I need a volume knob so that I can easy change the sound level while in the middle of a game or movie. What's a good inexpensive solution that won't degrade the signal integrity?
a keyboard with media keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Be mindful that the K550 are closed back too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

I've seen recently that the new Amperior headphones are essentially the exact same thing, but with fancy metal cups, and an integrated iPhone remote...
I think what you mean is "add ugly"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't want to sound like a get-off-my-lawn prick but if it takes you a year to save a grand, don't spend it on headphones.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oneiros posted:

So far I'm leaning heavily towards a set of AKG K240 Studios. From what I can tell they're light, comfortable, open-backed, and have good sound for the $$$. They also look really cool! :v:
They're only semi-open, and can get pretty toasty compared to open-back senns.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If they're harder to drive, the noise floor won't be as pronounced.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also if you want isolation, get isolation instead of destroying your hearing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have an older modmic and it loving rules to be able to use whatever cans you like.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Senn HD-25 II. Mine have been indestructible, pretty much, after destroying 3 pairs of lesser headphones in a year or so.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

the amber trap posted:

Thanks. That looks perfect. I'll run it by the wife and see what she says.
TBH it's a bit expensive for the sound quality, but they're so much better built than the rest....

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

liddl ninja posted:

I just found a good deal on B&W P7's and I need help with a portable setup.

I will be using an iPhone5.
P7's are literally designed for mobile devices? The specs back this up too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I just got a pair of Sony noise canceling headphones and JFC the sound quality is garbage but killing engine/AC noise is so resting.

Also you can tell it targets noise outside of speech range, so it can miss some stuff but I still love them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

uXs posted:

I have thought about a separate mike, but placement would be too annoying. Can't really use a table thing when sitting on my couch playing my PS4, and I can't use clip-ons because then I'd have to wear clothes all the time.
Modmic! I love mine so much. Not being stuck with GAMERZ headphones but still having a quality mic is really perfect.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

uXs posted:

Well, with so many glowing goon reviews... One question tho: how does the adhesive hold up? Because that seems like a weak point.
I take the mic out pretty often and it's never been an issue. If you have a reasonably flat surface you should be ok.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Active noise canceling will do nothing for kids anyway.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hell yeah dog!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Odette posted:

Would a cheap DT770 250 ohm be a decent upgrade from my old ATH-M50 cans?
If you can drive it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sounding like a robot is usually a network congestion issue. You could just buy the drat usb headset and make them fix it once the same problem emerges, but it could just as well be your lovely broadband

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Personally, while many onboard DACs are pretty decent now, in my opinion an external DAC *can* improve your sound as far as signal to noise ratio goes, and lower noise floor. Some may have slightly different signatures, too. But for the most part, when people say you aren't getting the "full experience", it's probably due to higher than 32-38ohm headphone impedance without an amplifier. Especially with orthodynamic or electrostatic headphones, they require a decent amount of power. Rule of thumb is, if it sounds good to you, then great! :d:
I'm very much in agreement with this. If you've got low-ohms cans and a decent board you'll be ok (but will still probably hear a difference, especially in noise floor), but lots of headphones are >80ohms, and lots of mainboards still have poo poo isolation. Again, if you like the sound, great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It doesn't matter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Would I get noticeably better sound/clarity going from a behringer microamp ha400 to an schiit magni 2 using a pair of hd 558's?
I'd bet actual money you couldn't A/B them.

Concurred posted:

My Senn HD 598s lost sound in the right ear cup Friday night. I noticed it after I woke up on Saturday. I don't know if something came loose inside but nothing seems damaged on the outside. From looking up claims on google it seems they have a fairly decent rating with warranty satisfaction, and since I bought these in January I should be more than okay. Does anybody have personal experience with Sennheiser and repair/warranty claims? Just want to know if I'm in for a long haul of a wait or if they're fairly expedient.
I busted a driver once on my HD25-II's and they just sent a replacement to a local dealer. P painless, just took a little while.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'm not going to get into crazy audiophile land here
I would bet 3 figures you can't double blind it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Taima posted:

Thanks I appreciate it. Do you think I can stick with 320 kbps audio or do you really think lossless is worth it?
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Right now, a 5.1 reciever... I don't have an amp and I don't know what to get that doesn't break the bank.
schiit stack or odac+o2 is the usual rec. I prefer the o2 but whatever floats your boat

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

baram. posted:

Anyone here have an Antlion Modmic and mind sharing how they like it?
It's great. Cable feels a bit cheap but it's held up great, and keeps it light.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jack to mini jack. Or someone prob makes a replacement cable so you don't have that stupid lump at the end of the cable.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Premium come in velour, pro in pleather

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

400 bucks is the flat rate repair stated on their website.
Can you really not get a replacement cable instead?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

I would but I don't have the skills necessary to repair the ripped/broken wires. I need to take a picture of the damage to illustrate it.
You do need to take a picture, because as I understand it you can just unplug the busted wire and shove in a new one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ya you tore the receptacle.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'll take the 598.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Taima posted:

Cool I'll PM you tonight after I get off work.
Good, thanks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Texibus posted:

I'm using whatever nonsense they have on the motherboard, thats probably the issue.

Unless that has an external doohikey, it'll be poo poo on account of being enclosed in a functional Faraday cage.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Turn on the mic input monitoring.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Does anyone know anything about comfy headphones for kiddos? We're taking ours on a p long fight and I'd like him to have some music and sound with his movies.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The buzzing is your lovely integrated sound.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rear end posted:

I use a Xonar DG.
It's not grounded properly then. Think about it, if it's clear when using the usb ADC it's not the mic.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just get a decent USB DAC

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My turn!

Budget - ~2000sek, about 200-300 bucks.
Source - PC, no amp
Isolation Requirements - open or semi-open
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral
Past Headphones - HD518, SR850's
Preferred Music - All kinds of music, gaming.

I have 518's at work and they're fine. Samson SR850's at home and they're fine too. Really I'd love some HD 600's but they're so loving ugly, or HD 6xx but they're so loving out of stock. Hjelp me!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I've tried exactly one "headphone surround" thing that I though was worth anything, and it's this: https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/ Its expensive, but it's the only software I thought was consistently better than the usual in-game binaural surround simulation.

tldr: "surround headphones" are a complete gimmick, always worse than comparable non-surround headphones, and any game where you benefit from surround modeling already has it built-in.
Most games purposefully blur audio positioning information because it's about as good as a wallhack when you turn up the precision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Welp, ordered some akg k712 pros.