Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a well-liked quarter-inch to eighth-inch adapter that is a wire instead of a solid barrel? The barrel adapter that came with my 555s works okay but it basically doubles the length of any of the sources I use it with and it's kind of annoying. If I drag out my Sansa Clip+ it's like double the length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have been using HD555s for a few years and I really liked them, but I've noticed as I get older that I find the highs very fatiguing and almost painful. Is this something that comes with age, a lovely source, a need to equalize to counteract the weaknesses of the headphones, or what? My iPod Classic finally poo poo out so I've been relegated to a Rockboxed Sansa Clip+. I'm not really in the market for new headphones, but maybe it's time to start looking for something a little mellower?

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 10, 2017

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I got my Massdrop Status Audio CB-1s and got to try them out a little yesterday. So far I really like them-- they couldn't be more different from my Sennheiser HD555s so it's nice that I now have an open pair and a closed pair. They seemed to sound pretty similar to my dad's m40x and were about a thousand times more comfortable, although the plastic seemed a little cheaper on the CB-1s. I have kind of a crappy ear for this kind of thing so I'm not sure my impressions are worth much, but for a starter closed headphone I would definitely not have any problem recommending these for the price. It'll be interesting to see how long they last.

Edit: Massdrop not Monoprice you idiot

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 25, 2017

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This might be a little lower-end than you want but a couple of people at work (myself included) use Status Audio CB-1s and they don't leak. I'm not sure how they compare to the M40x

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Sacred Cow posted:

Looking at reviews, it seems like you trade build quality for sound and decent pads. Have you had any issues with it so far?

No issues so far but they lead a pretty sedentary existence. I've been using them for about 2 years I think.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I use my Status Audio CB-1s with a vmoda boom pro and it's perfectly serviceable for almost everything.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I usually don't buy them because I am trying to exercise self control, but for some reason I love shopping for cheap Chi Fi DAPs. Luckily they always have one big drawback that stops me from buying them, usually the fact that they don't do gapless or that they don't read ID3 tags.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

internet celebrity posted:

I've been super happy with my Cayin N3. I have some minor complaints with the UI but nothing I can't deal with (seriously though why can't I organize by album artist instead of artist? All my VA comps clutter things up)

XBenedict posted:

I also enjoy my FiiO M6. It's good quality for the price, and I quite enjoy the USB DAC mode and the "Hi-Res" bluetooth. It's a solid package for $150.

You guysssss stop lol. Do these both do gapless on MP3? I don't use any lossless formats but some of the cheap DAPs will do lossless on, say, FLAC but not on MP3.

Right now I'm using a Rockboxed xduoo x3 so I don't really NEED anything else but they're fun to look at and I do kind of miss album art.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Honestly with the helium shortage $50 per balloon might not end up being that far off.

Which means audiphiles will buy them for $400.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
These are waaaay under your budget but i have been using the Status Audio CB-1s for work stuff and I love them, especially since they are cheap enough that if I bust them up I don't mind as much. I'm not sure if the isolation is good enough for your needs though, and they are clearly not on the level of $250 cans.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I was all set to have to shop for replacement tips for the Blon bl-03s but the largest included set works fine unless I contort my face in a truly unsettling way. My wife is an audiologist and says my ear canals are "shallow" so the shortness of the stems on the Blons doesn't cause any problems for me. If you have really deep ear canals, I'd be shopping for some longer conical tips or maybe an o-ring or something to force the tips to sit further up on the stems because they are admittedly really short.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Status Audio CB-1s wouldn't be TOO far out of that price range, I only recommend them because your use case matches what I use them for and I've used them for hours on PS4 with no discomfort.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

e: status audio CB-1s are still around, come to think of it. I listened to a set a while back and they're like worse built but more comfortable and slightly better sounding m40x.

Just throwing in my 2 non-audiophile cents, I use the CB-1s with a vmoda boom pro for games and I think they're great.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RVT posted:

The audio CB-1s sound like a good deal. Thanks for the tip. The boom pro just plugs in to where the removable cable would go? Coming from the HD 280 pros, I have no experience with removable cables.

Yup, the stock cable is flanged so you just twist and pull (mine was kind of a bitch to get out the first time) and then cram the boom pro in.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RVT posted:

Seems like a good price and is more convenient and comfortable than the old setup. They stay at my desk at home so being a bit flimsy, while not great, isn't a huge deal. I'll give it a bit and see how much the creaking gets to me.

I wonder if they will break in, I can't remember if mine creaked when I got them, but they don't now unless I stretch them outward

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CodfishCartographer posted:

Recommendation request for a comfy casual headset+mic for gaming. I can't stress enough I don't really care that much about the actual sound quality, as long as the mic is decent and it's comfortable.
Budget - <100$, though can go up to 150-200 if really necessary.
Source - PC with bluetooth, though would prefer USB (3.0) if possible. No USB-C.
Isolation Requirements - don't care
Preferred Type of Headphone - Comfortable, preferably over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - don't care
Past Headphones - Was using a Plantronics GameCom 780 until it physically broke
Preferred Music - Honestly I'm not gunna be listening to music enough with these for it to matter, they'll solely be for gaming.

I've looked through the thread and seen people recommend desktop mics for better sound quality, but it would be nice to have something other than just my phone's earbuds to use if I want to play a game and not wake up my wife at night or something.

I would recommend my old standby of the Status Audio CB-1s with a v-moda boom pro but that would be 2.5mm not usb. Not sure if you could get a cheap DAC to go with it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah I'm starting to feel like a Status Audio shill in here but in the "casual" sector I'm not sure you can do much better.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

henpod posted:

Nope, can't get the BLON-01's to fit or stay in my ears. What is it with these things?! The nozzle actually seems shorter and the IEM itself is bigger and heavier... I think I will just get a backup pair of 03's and these can be a last resort. Maybe others find them to fit better, but seems worse for me.

I love the 03's so much as they sound great to me and are so cheap. But...the fit. They just don't fit. Maybe I have fucky ears. Have tried foam tips, normal tips. Everything gradually slips out and I don't get that seal. When I do I get awesome sound but it doesn't last for long.

It'd be a little ridiculous on IEMs as cheap as the Blons but you could see if an audiologist in your area will fit you for ear molds. I believe there are companies you can send your IEMs and molds to to have custom tips created.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a reputable coiled 3.5mm cable (like around 1.5 feet coiled?) that I could use to replace the cable on my Status Audio CB-1s? A pet rabbit got a little overzealous and now it appears the coiled monoprice cable is out of stock and everything on Amazon is from brands I've never heard of.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The CB-1 have a standard 3.5mm jack in 'em, so you can use a vmoda boompro or equivalent, it'll plug right in.

I use the boompro with mine and it works great.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The recommendation for cheap over-ear should always be Status Audio CB-1, depending on what you mean by "cheap."

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
A few months ago in this thread someone was talking about some cheap (I think they were sub-$50 USD) Chi-fi true wireless IEMs or earbuds from Amazon that they recommended. I have tried searching the thread but I can't seem to find them now. My wife is looking for something inexpensive for podcasts and the like, I should have wishlisted them when people were posting them. Sorry this is such a broad question, I'm hoping someone will remember which of the million cheap true wireless phones I'm talking about.

Edit: Whining about it made me remember, it was the Tranya b530 Pro.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 6, 2021

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Yuns posted:

Could be worse. They could have sold to some PE fund that would completely gut them. At least Sonova is in another part of the audio business.

Yeah, honestly this might be a good thing. Sonova makes very good hearing aids and is focused on audio as science, it could have interesting implications for their product line if they aren't just going to go "we're just gonna keep selling the same stuff"

Edit: name recognition is huge too, of course a bunch of audio nerds will buy the hearing aid that says "Sennheiser" on it when they turn 70

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 8, 2021

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

serebralassazin posted:

Thank you both for the replies.

The headphones aren't worn out, but they have started having this on and off rattling on the left side noticeable during lower bass. I tried carefully taking apart that side and didn't see anything loose but the actual speaker is covered by a glued on grill which I didn't want to try and take apart. So, I don't know if maybe there is something on the actual speaker causing that rattling or if it just crapping out. That got me thinking about something new or different.

There's a million things the rattling could be but on my old Sennheisers it turned out to be a tiny dog hair stuck in the middle part of the pad that took me like 3 months to find.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
One thing to watch out for that might not occur to you immediately is that if you listen to a lot of albums that need gapless playback, for some reason the majority of the chi-fi DAPs don't support it for some reason or another, so it couldn't hurt to research that specifically if it's something that matters to you.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, I don't have the most discerning ears but I spent a long time A-Bing my CB-1s with my dad's M40x (since the CB-1s seem most inspired by those if not a conscious copy) and I would never recommend the m40x when you can often get the CB-1s for around $40.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Everyone talking about the Blon Bl-03s-- which tips are you using with them? I bought some cheap foam New Bee ones from Amazon and they're Fine, but I'm wondering if silicone would be better? I need to go to the hardware store and buy a bag of little o-rings to use as spacers.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks! I wish they had a sampler with multiple sizes-- I'm guessing I need the large but I'm never a hundred percent sure.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ROJO posted:

OK, heard loud and clear I think. How would I go about determining what a good headphone upgrade (or even sidegrade) would be? It all seems pretty subjective, and without having a place to go try them out (maybe those places exist?), I feel like I would be taking a stab in the dark.

My only real requirement is they need to be closed (share an office with my wife) and I have a giant dome (size 8 fitted hats).

This might be below your budget but I always swing through to recommend the Status Audio CB-1s for reasonably priced, good circumaural headphones that are easy to drive.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

DancingShade posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is never turning up in the mail. Who knows anymore though.

Buy local if you can folks. It's about as reliable as you can get these days.

Chicago customs is where international packages go to die.

Hunt around on reddit, I feel like someone on there found a phone number for them and were able to at least get someone to start an incident report and get their package moving, I don't remember what the context was though, maybe pens or something?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Doom Mathematic posted:

Hello. I have a budget of about $125-$150 and I would like some "good" closed-back, circumaural headphones to replace the tinny earbuds which came with my MP3 player many years ago. I'd like to avoid sound leaking when I'm recording voice or playing a co-op game. Source would be the 3.5mm jack on the microphone.

The catch is, I have mildly large ears and a big head. Most headphones of this type I've worn end up stretched uncomfortably wide, with the top band pressed against the top of my head. It is, of course, impossible to filter lists of headphones by these criteria. Any assistance would be appreciated :)

It's me again, the Status Audio CB-1 recommender. It's waaay under your budget, but I have a big head and have found them to be very comfortable, and the pads are pretty big so I can't imagine your ears not fitting.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Fat_Cow posted:

So my HD598s have given up the ghost finally, one of my speakers have blown out and I've had them for 5 plus years, grabbing them for cheap on Black Friday one year, Anything similiar to 598s reccomended nowadays? In retrosepct I got the 598s for 99$ on Amazon during Black Friday so around that pricepoint would be ideal.

Also check to see if there's a hair stuck in your headphones! I thought I blew out my 555s and there was just a dog hair that had needled its way into the membrane that was rattling around.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Do the Porta Pros and the KPH30i sound the same or are they significantly different? I don't need either one but I wanted to try one since I don't currently have any headphones in that style. Usage would be mostly punk and indie.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Can anyone vouch for any replacement pads for the CB-1s that are comfortable, don't gently caress with the sound too much, and don't cost as much as the cans did in the first place? Mine are finally starting to flake 5 or 6 years in. I'd just buy a new set but I read somewhere they ship with worse pads now than they did when I bought mine.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If I am looking for a closed headphone that's a step above the Status Audio CB-1s I've beaten the poo poo out of but not TOO big a step above (maybe in the $150 US or less range?) what are my best options? Is it basically the K371?

I am tempted to try something more expensive but I saw Swans once without any hearing protection so I'm pretty sure anything above $150 is wasted on me.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Wheeee posted:

Poke around for opinions on those as well as the DT770, those two are usually the go-to recommendations in that price bracket and having owned both in the past the K371 have much less offensive tuning, albeit aren't nearly as comfortable or durably built.

Alternatively, have you heard the good word of IEMs? If you can comfortably wear them they generally have much better sound quality than closed-back headphones, especially at the reasonably priced end of the spectrum.

Thanks! I have a couple of pairs of cheaper fad iems like the Blon bl-03 and like them, but I tend to use them mostly when I'm out and not so much at home. I will read back further in the thread and see if anything a little better jumps out at me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I finally got some beige kph30is and put some of those knockoff grado pads on it. They're so light it's incredible, dog ugly with the grado pads on, and they sound great. I'm glad you all stumped so hard for them because they're a lot of fun.
I have now completed the main internet "these are dirt cheap and sound amazing" trifecta with these, the Blon bl-03s, and the Status Audio CB-1s and all are great for the price for different reasons.

Semi-related, is there a good way to loosen up the cable on these? It's very kinked from the way they packaged them and I can't seem to get them to straighten out, the thicker part that runs from the y-splitter to the plug is pretty stiff.