Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this question, but i'm looking to buy a new headset for my gaming PC. Ideally it would sound really nice, and have a good quality microphone attached. I've been using the great Sennheiser PC350 for about 6-7 years now, and the ear cup and head-cushion lining have been disintegrating all over my head for the past 12 months. I know that it's possible to get replacement ear cups and cushions, but since Sennheiser no longer makes the model in question, i've seen lots of posts about people only being able to buy dodgy third party replacements that are really sub-standard. If I could, i'd just buy another PC350, but they've been discontinued, and it seems like what replaced the model is pretty much garbage. (The set I have was their first foray into this category and was essentially one of their better headsets with a mic strapped to it. In recent years they've started cutting costs and corners and the quality seems to have really tanked.)

Are there any agreed upon great quality headsets that aren't ludicrously overpriced? I'd like to avoid gimmicky features like mock surround sound and supposed 7.1 headsets if I can. My max budget is about £120-£150 (around $200-$230).

Edit: It will mostly be used for playing games, listening to music and watching films. I'd prefer to stick to non-USB headsets.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Ynglaur posted:

It may be slightly above your budget, but I love my Astro A40's. Yes, they pander to the "1337 gamerz take my for stupid gimmicks" crowd, but they sound great, and the mic quality is wonderful. I work from home a lot, and 4-hour conference calls are far more bearable. I do look a bit silly on a video call, however.

The Mixamp that they usually bundle has mock surround sound, but it's Dolby Headphone, which is actually quite good. The competing fake surround sound standard out there is Creative's CMSS-3D, which is also good. Many reviewers find the latter to be more "accurate"; I find the former to be more enjoyable. My Windows Phone uses Dolby Headphone as well.

I guess what all of these are saying is that even if you aren't looking for surround sound in a gaming headset, it can actually be quite nice.

Thanks for the advice. In the end I decided to try the Sennheiser PC 363D headset. It seems to be high quality, unlike their G4ME models.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

I got a really deep discount on the Beats Solo 3 Wireless from a family member's employee discount at Apple. They don't sound anything like the Beats in-ears I had way back in 2008. Those things were dreadful, with awful swampy bass that overwhelmed the rest of the mix. (I returned them after a couple of days) The Solo 3s feel restrained in comparison to those dreadful things. They still accentuate the bass, but not nearly as much. I actually like how they sound, and probably won't return them. There is NO way that they're worth full price, though. Without the discount, they would have been £250. I got them for £140.

The pairing process you get with Apple's W1 chip is cool. I just switched it on, moved it close to my iPhone, and a big box popped up asking if I wanted to pair it. It then also automatically paired with my other iOS devices (watch and iPad) so I can toggle between those as sources really easily. Much better than my Jabra Move Wireless headphones, which I kept having to re-pair. Also, the 40 hours of battery life is pretty crazy, not to mention the 100-foot effective transmission radius. I hope Apple licenses this new Bluetooth tech out to other headphone manufacturers.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Has anyone had any experience with the B&O Beoplay E8? They're wireless IEMs. They seem to have really great sound, but I've been having a little trouble getting the things into my ears comfortably. I seem to have to take about 3 tries each time to get a decent, comfortable fit. I'm hoping that some comply tips will make it a bit easier. The silicon tips leave me with an uncomfortable pressure in my ear after inserting.

edit: https://www.beoplay.com/en/landingpages/beoplaye8

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

I'd like to get some recommendations for the best sub-£400 Bluetooth headphones I can get for portable use. They'll be paired with my iPhone X for walking around a city mostly, with an occasional long train journey. I don't want in-ear headphones. I've been recommended the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 II, the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless and the Sennheiser PXC 550, but thought I'd check here first! The headphones I use most often (and enjoy) are the Sennheiser PC 363D. I do prefer to have a slight bass emphasis, as long as it doesn't swamp the rest of the mix. I mostly listen to hip-hop and electronic music (all kinds).

Edit: I've also seen people recommend the Sennheiser HD-1, but they look identical to the Momentum. Are they the same thing?

Edit2: They also must have a microphone for answering calls.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 9, 2018

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Thanks for the recommendations. How fiddly are the touch controls? Touch controls on things that you can't see while operating always seem to be very error prone in my experience.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

NFX posted:

Is the noise cancelling important to you? Itís kinda sporadic for me (WH-1000XM2), because the headphones shift a little when I walk. I donít know if thatís just a matter of fit. Under any circumstance, walking around in/near traffic with ANC on is scary as hell, and I prefer plain old IMEs there.
The Sonys have an ambient sound mode which mostly feels like a gimmick. On paper it cuts out noise, but letís through voices (so you can hear announcements etc). In practice I find that it tends to amplify some sounds too much. I rarely bother with it. Of course you can also use the headphones with just Bluetooth, and ANC off, which I assume goes for the Bose as well.

I guess the ANC is not super important to me, at least not as much as strong Bluetooth connectivity, sound quality and comfort. The other thing Iíve heard is that the Bose QC35II sounds worse with NC switched off. What would be peopleís recommendations for non-ANC Bluetooth headphones under £400?

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Since my brother gets a pretty hefty discount on Bose products, I decided to try out the QC 35 II, and so far I like them. I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep them or not. May try the Sonys next.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

I decided to try my friendís pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless cans, and I really like them. Theyíre noticeably heavier than my Bose QC35 II, but much nicer sounding. Theyíre also £50 cheaper. I think I may send my new Bose cans back and just get a pair of these instead, as I value sound quality over noise cancelling (which the Momentum 2 also does, just not as well).

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Has anyone got any experience with the new Sennheiser Momentum 3.0? Thinking of getting some to replace my busted beats solo3.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Does anyone have a good recommendation for connecting Bluetooth-only headphones to 3.5mm headphone jacks? I'm specifically thinking about connecting my Airpods Pro to my Nintendo Switch. There are a lot of cheap-looking dongles on Amazon, but I thought I'd check here first to see if you guys have a solid recommendation.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Would I need a headphone amp to power the Drop HD 6XX or would they be okay with just my motherboard's onboard sound?

Edit: My motherboard is the Asus B550-F

Gunder fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 27, 2021

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

When it comes to gaming headsets with integrated mics, is the Sennheiser Game One still a safe bet? Iíve hear mixed things about the GSP 500. Also, howís the Drop PC38X? It seems to be the driver from the GSP 500, but in the Game One form factor?

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Wheeee posted:

your motherboard will be powerful enough but probably also have a noisy sound output, relatively. it looks like that board uses a realtek chip and they're not fantastic, along with most motherboards having poorly insulated audio even if they use decent parts, but you probably don't need an amp

if you get a better DAC--a $9 Apple USB-C dongle is legit good--and a good amp, for which the best option is probably the $99 JDS Atom, you may hear an increase in sound quality but it won't be night and day. you'll also have the peace of mind of knowing you've got good audio with no further need to seek upgrades

Thanks for this. I was wondering what to do about an Amp/DAC. The only ones I saw people talking about was the Schiit stack combo, but I hadn't heard of the Atom. I'd be using the 6XX for a lot of gaming, so I'd probably get a USB modmic to stick on the side of the headphones for chat purposes.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Wheeee posted:

in terms of audible sound quality the schiit and jds labs equivalent amps will sound exactly the same, where the atom is a better choice is in quality control and support, schiit is not well-regarded for quality even if their stuff generally sounds good for the price

i personally use a desktop mic but modmics are popular

Do you think it would be worth it to get the JDS Atom DAC as well in order to improve the quality of the output?

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Placed my order for the Drop x Sennheiser HD 6XX today, along with the JDS labs Atom stack. Thanks for the advice everyone!

One last question: is it worth purchasing balanced cables for this thing? I couldnít quite work out if itís worthwhile for the setup Iíve ordered. If itís worth it, is there any sort of cable or brand I should get? I know Drop makes one.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

My new JDS Labs Atom DAC + Amp should arrive tomorrow, but my Drop 6XX wonít arrive until the end of May. Will I notice a benefit to using the new stack with my Sennheiser Game One headset over the onboard Realtek soundchip on my motherboard, or will it only be noticeable with my new 6XX?

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Yuns posted:

EDIT: It might actually make a difference. I just checked various Realtek chip numbers and one guy measured an ALC1220 at 85 (computer idle) to 77 (GPU under load) SINAD and Amir tested the Realtek on his Dell desktop at 43 dB SINAD. Amir also measured a Gigabyte AORUS motherboard similar to the one I have with ALC1220 & ESS SABRE 9118 DAC at 91 dB SINAD at line out and 84 dB headphone out.
I confess, Iím not really sure what this means.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Not sure if it's just my broke brain trying to justify a purchase, but my new JDS Atom stack definitely has improved the sound quality of my Sennheiser Game Ones. Everything sounds "fuller"? Can't wait to hear them drive the 6XX.

Edit: Should I be controlling the volume levels via the headphone amp itself, or is it okay to make changes with the media keys on my keyboard? It's slightly more comfortable to do it via the keyboard. For reference, I have the volume set to about 80% in windows, and the amp at around 45%.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 12, 2021

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Another question: I remember being told that, if you plug a gaming headset into an amp, then you can't plug the built-in mic 3.5mm jack into your PC because of grounding issues? I just tried it, and it seems to work just fine. My current setup:

Game One headphones connected to JDS Atom stack via 3.5mm jack, Atom stack connected to PC via USB.
Game One mic connected to PC via aux cable that terminates in the PC case front-panel mic input.

Is this going to cause issues that aren't immediately obvious?

Gunder fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 12, 2021

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Does anyone have any experience with the Drop Panda Bluetooth headphones? I'm considering getting a pair for commuting. That or the AirPods Max.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Help me, I have fallen on my head and am now considering cancelling my order for the Massdrop HD6XX and getting a Focal Elex from Massdrop instead. They are obviously much more expensive than the 6XX, but apparently also a lot better? I could stretch my budget to cover the $700, as long as my current Atom stack can power them properly. Is this the case? Are they worth the price?

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

I have seen a few people complaining about build quality issues, and the Elex dying after a few weeks. Which is kinda worrying.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Yeah, thatís what Iím currently leaning towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Anyone got any ideas on how I can improve the comfort of the headband on my new Senn 6XX? The split headband cushion puts more weight on smaller parts of my bald head and it hurts after a while. I've never had this problem with other headphones, just this one.