Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I prefer earbuds to any other kind of headphone, but the biggest problem is how they always get tangled. Is there any product out there that makes their wires rigid somehow, so they can't flop around? Some kind of plastic conduit or something. I don't even know what keywords I would search for online.

edit: Yeah...not the right keywords

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just bought a Turtle Beach Stealth 500p headset to replace my Sony Gold, to solve a very specific problem: the Playstation TV (also called the Vita TV) doesn't have any kind of audio out other than HDMI, and this headset's USB dongle has optical in, for the purpose of getting 7.1 audio. Other than that it's mostly the same deal as the Sony Gold. It does indeed work for this purpose (and sounds somewhat better too I think), but there's an echo in the audio, very close to the original sound, only a few milliseconds. The microphone is turned off so it's not that, and I assume it isn't audio from the PS4 itself because I'm not even using that as a sound source, I have it set to only come through the optical in (which is connected directly to the TV). Any ideas?

edit: Not when it's taking audio directly through the USB though, only the optical. But not using the optical defeats the purpose of me buying it.

edit: this is like the fifteenth attempt at a solution to get audio from the PSTV wirelessly to headphones, and the previous 14 always had some niggling little problem too. As annoying as it is feeling like I'm listening to it from inside a tin can, it's the least annoying so far.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 12, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

Have you tried using an Astro Mixamp? Connect the amp to the PS4, and the connect headphones/headset to the amp. They make a wireless headset as well.
I don't see how this addresses my question at all, nor do I know how buying this $130 thing would help, unless you can connect a USB wireless transmitter to it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 12, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I use wireless headphones to play PS3, PS4 and PC games through my TV. At the moment I am using a Turtle Beach Stealth 400s, plugged into my PS4 but using the optical input for sound direct from the TV (that way I don't need to keep switching the USB adapter around, and also I can use them for my PS2 and PSTV as well), but I am thinking of switching to something better. I don't play online games with voice particularly so the microphone part is unnecessary. Is there something significantly better than that for the same kind of setup to be had for under or around $200?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 7, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Why can I not find a single Bluetooth headphone that allows me to play audio from multiple sources simultaneously?

Is this a design choice? A technological limitation?
I gave up on Bluetooth audio some time ago; it seems to be nothing BUT technological limitations.

In the end I gave up on my quest earlier to find good wireless headphones and just bought Sennheiser HD558s. Screw buttons and batteries and scary radio waves going through the air for now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This may be a weird question but are there any (good) Bluetooth speakers that also have a headphone jack out? Most of ones I see have an auxiliary input, but not output.

Sorry, I couldn't find a Bluetooth or even a general speakers thread.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm getting into headphone amps so I decided to try the smorgasbord option of a Soundblaster E3 so I can figure out what features I will use of something like this and what I won't. I use it with my PC, PS4 and iDevices but my question is, should there be any difference in sound quality between connecting it to the PS4 via USB or optical? USB would be the most convenient since it would power it too and could make use of the mic if I ever wanted to, but part of my brain thinks optical sounds better when I switch them back and forth. I don't know why that would be since they're both digital and transmitting uncompressed audio data, right? I've been using Audiotechnica Air 700 and Sennheiser 558 headphones.

edit: I'm not enough of an audiophile yet that I care about cosmic radiation interfering with the USB cable or whatever, just whether the PS4 would be compressing the audio data through the USB connection without my knowledge or something.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 18, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Optical would bypass the E3's DAC since it's digital already. I'm surprised the PS4 even recognizes a USB DAC, so there could be some software weirdness going on there as well. Or, you're imagining it. Try and blind A/B it, if you can't tell the difference it's probably nothing.
Yeah, the PS4 supports all kinds of USB sound devices...but aren't they also "digital already"? I don't understand what you're saying. I've been trying A/B tests (which turned out to be fairly easy since you can plug it in both ways but switch the PS4 back and forth between chat audio only coming out of the USB or all audio) but when I switch the volume level is radically different so I know which is which right away. It could be as simple as default volume higher for optical = sounds better to me immediately.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 18, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Haha good lord I somehow got the circuit flipped. Neeeevermind.

In any case, there's probably zero actual quality difference.
Testing more and more (though as I said I can't think of a way to do it blind) I really think the optical is at least different, if not objectively better, for both music and games. You're right though, as digital inputs they should both be giving exactly the same data to the DAC, so what gives?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 20, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm still no closer to discovering why the Soundblaster E5 sounds better to me being connected to the PS4 by optical. It's certainly good when connected to my PC or iDevice by USB. Would other optical/USB DACs be the same, I wonder? Today I almost bought another one to test against it but realized I am not insane yet.

Meanwhile, I wanted to ask if there are other headphones like my Audiotechnica Airs, or whether they are unique among open over ear headphones.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 20, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dogen posted:

PS4 outputting different formats over different interfaces, maybe?
That's what I suspect, but I don't know how to find out where that would be documented. In its sound and screen settings you can change the output format priorities for HDMI and optical, but not USB.

edit: the floor by my sofa is now completely strewn with wires coming and going from the E5 to and from various other things. Good thing I don't need the floor for walking on or anything.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 20, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Red_Fred posted:

Is wireless audio really hard? Or is it that audiophile purists just don't like it? It still amazes me that wireless options are so limited.
If you mean Bluetooth, I had heard that it was never designed for high quality audio, but rather telephone quality, based on the foolish assumption that in the future people would be using their mobile phones primarily for making phone calls. They keep improving it to that effect but can't get around that at a basic level it wasn't designed for that.

That said, I really like my new Plantronics Bluetooth headset for being outside. The technology has come a long way in every area since years ago when I last owned a Bluetooth headset.

Edit: no way could I use it for games or movies though; all the latency reducing tricks they have come up with over the last few years still don't come close enough for me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 5, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Constellation I posted:

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros are super fun with Dolby Headphone and gaming. It was decent for hearing footsteps too.
Out of curiosity, how do the open back Beyerdynamics like the 990s compare to my Audiotechnica Air 700s? Or are they just a totally different thing? I'm still new to open back headphones but I think I like them a lot.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 6, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess a better question is: I really like these Audiotechnica AD700Xs, but they are also the first headphones of this type I have ever used. In that price range or a little above, is there anything I might like even more?

Edit: the mid-highs are kind of harsh, so without that I guess.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 6, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Constellation I posted:

Haven't tried the Beyerdynamic DT 990's unfortunately. They might have harsh highs as well, I forget. Or that might be the 880's.

Upgrading from the AD700 is a weird one. If you really like its soundstage, you'll probably be disappointed by the soundstage of headphones around or higher its price range. If you want to experience some sweet sweet highs, then probably go for a Sennheiser, like an HD598 or HD600. But again, you'll probably be disappointed with the narrower soundstage.

Beyond that, maybe an AKG K7XX or a Philips Fidelio X2 maybe? You'll get bass that is sorely lacking from the AD700, soundstage that is kinda close and decent highs with those two.
All those are quite a bit more expensive...are you saying that the AD700 is above its league price-wise?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Constellation I posted:

Not really, it's right where it should be at $100. What I'm saying is that in terms of soundstage, nothing really beats the AD700 in its price range or a step above that. They beat it in pretty much everything else though.

Given that that is probably the most unique thing about the AD700s, that's probably what you like about them. What I suggested above were other headphones that improve on the other things but still have a fairly wide soundstage.
I paid $150 for them (rather 16k yen here in Japan), but anyway, I guess I don't have a clear enough grasp on this "soundstage" thing to know if it's what I like about them. They're just so light and easy on my ears, except for those harsh bits. I care less about strong bass these days though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

adorai posted:

My 12 year old daughter is having a slumber party with a number of other 12 year old girls tonight. I wish my headphones were noise cancelling.
If we have the technology to cancel that kind of noise before we can teleport people to other galaxies or something I'll be shocked.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Uncle Ivan posted:

The quality of the mastering >>>>> in importance vs. the quality of the encoding IMO. I agree that Spotify extreme quality is essentially transparent.
Speaking of this, I have been using Spotify and listening to old albums I have never listened to on good headphones before and noticed that the Pablo Honey they have there sounds really bad to me recording-wise. If it was always that way even when I owned it in high school, I wouldn't know.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't have much point of comparison since it's my first Bluetooth headphones in the non-suck era of Bluetooth headphones, but I sure like my Backbeat Fit. They don't leak sound while also letting in outside sound well. Battery life is the standard 8 or so hours I guess but what impressed me is how little power it uses when connected but the music paused.

Again, maybe all modern Bluetooth sports headsets are like this nowadays, I wouldn't know.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

I actually have the Fits ( got them from costco for like 65$) and for me I can't stand the fit. I tried to like them as they seem durable as all get out but I just can't do it. The drat things feel like they could get run over by a car and keep on trucking though.
Yeah, their in ear but not isolating design means they have to sit on the weird wrinkly bits of the inside of your ears, so maybe it's unavoidable. Still, often when I get home I just leave them in for a while and keep listening so they're that comfortable for me.

Edit: and I use them at work while staring at spreadsheets or whatever without worrying about missing a conversation starting or coworkers hearing my Japanese electropop. All in all, three weeks in they appear to be an excellent headphone purchase.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 19, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a definitive list somewhere of USB DAC headphone amps known to work with the PS4? I've found all kinds of messageboard discussions about it but that's all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KingShiro posted:

It's not USB, but you can use a Schiit Magni hooked into an Astro mixamp.

https://storage.googleapis.com/cdn.head-fi.org/a/8265290.png
Is there some reason I would need amplification beyond the Astro? I'm pretty fine with my Soundblaster X G5 right now, I was just curious what the other options were for sure, rather than testing them myself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KingShiro posted:

If you don't need the extra power, it should be fine.
About the Astro itself, I asked in the PS4 thread if those were still a thing people used and no one responded. How does the 3D sound on them sound? That's the only reason I'd consider replacing my Soundblaster with one I think, since I don't care about voice communication.

But also I might replace it with a smaller, non-game related USB amp, if I could find a comprehensive list of what works.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KingShiro posted:

I'm not sure about 3D audio (I only used the standard, no effects added sound profile), I used it for my Phillips SHP9500 + V-Moda Boompro setup, and had no audio issues outside of the astro volume knob being a little finicky.
I didn't really think there would be problems, I just wondered if it would be an upgrade to consider from my G5.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Constellation I posted:

The newer Astro Mixamp TR still uses Dolby Headphone, but they have some weird-rear end default EQ settings that make the processed sound even more pronounced. You'd have to plug it in to a PC and make changes to the EQ there. Also take note that for PS4, it can only output the Dolby signals through optical and HDMI but not USB, so it's cables galore. Basically, for the Mixamp, USB is for mic input and output, Optical is for audio out. (Sony does have non-DolbyHeadphone 3D audio tech available in some of their official wireless headsets)

For the price tag, I wouldn't bother with it, considering a $20 Turtle Beach DSS1 amp does the exact same thing, it just doesn't have a mic in.

As for the advantages over your Creative G5. I believe the G5 when plugged into a PS4 is a stereo device only. Any additional processing you hear is based on 2 channels only. It's really only a 5.1/7.1 device when plugged into a PC. So the upgrade would be real virtual surround sound (sounds really stupid, I know) as opposed to what you have now. This is just for PS4 btw, obviously you're good when on PC.
Yeah, I read that if I get an Astro I should mess with it on the PC first.

I can't find that DSS1 for sale in Japan right away, but how could a $20 DAC be worth anything at all, surround sound or not?

Yeah, the G5 is just a normal DAC when connected to the PS4, except for all its effect/eq stuff which I never use. Who does?

edit: more in general, I have heard that the Astro is a good DAC amp for its price even without the surround sound, and that it is not, both without any support or evidence particularly.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 29, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Regarding the Dolby headphone thing earlier, has the whole concept just fallen by the wayside? There are so few products that do that and almost all are game related, i.e. attached to gaming headsets I don't want anyway (and usually for the PC). Is almost no one interested in watching movies in surround sound with headphones, as to not bother the neighbors?

edit: unrelated (other than both being about headphones) but the first non-cheap pair of headphones I bought was Sennheiser 558s, which are sitting in my closet right now. I know I like the fit and the 500 series all fit about the same, but is it worth looking into upgrading if I'm still just listening to Spotify etc? What do you get different at the $200/$220/$250 price points?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 13, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I need to just sell all my headphones other than these Audio Technica AD700Xs. Nothing else I have tried comes close to making me as happy.

edit: or buy a higher end model, but dunno what I would get for it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 20, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dogen posted:

Yeah I think they're open because they're meant to be used while biking or running outdoors so you can maintain situational awareness.

My wife and I both have pairs and use them for biking and they've been great.
Yeah, I love mine for running and cycling too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

What's generally accepted as the best Bluetooth sports earphones? Beats have super weak signal and the audio cuts in and out if I so much as stick my phone in my jorts
I just got back from jogging using my Plantronics Backbeat Fits and they worked flawlessly as usual. I don't jog in jorts though.

Also once I was wearing them at the office and went down the hall to the copy room without remembering that they were on and playing (with my iPhone back at my desk) and they only barely started cutting out when I got there.

edit: I was at a big electronics store yesterday and tried the demo model of Sony's $2300 headphones connected to one of their $3000 audio players and the music playing on them was the opening music to the Madoka Magica anime. Oh Japan.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 3, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just finally bought a proper DAC/amp to maybe replace my SoundblasterX G5, an Onkyo HA200. It works no problem on my PC, and for a while works no problem on my PS4 when connected by USB, but about half an hour into using it each time, it starts getting weird digital noise, which stops if I disconnect and reconnect it. I don't know where the problem is exactly and the PS4's support of USB DACs is barely documented, but does anyone know anything?

I could connect it by optical instead but that's one more cable, that's all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

If it's PS4 specific then I don't have a clue - try hunting around in some PS4 hardware forums in case other people have had similar issues. Might be a bad USB port (they have multiple right? are there others you could try?) or perhaps a firmware update.

Also does it happen with just the one game/app or all the time? Might be specific software.
I've heard it happen in two different games, but not so far when using Spotify.

Also, speaking of firmware updates, despite the paper manual saying to check Onkyo's site for some, I can not find any. The product page has no support info and the support page does not seem to have anything but a PDF manual for this model.

This thing sure sounds sweet though. I am told it's almost the same internally as TEAC's that looks the same on the outside.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

Give this link a go http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/index.html

Hopefully one of those strings of numbers will correspond to what you have.
I see the DAC-HA300 there, which is 3x as expensive as this one. Oh well.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the DACs are the same and the amps are what differentiates them.

Disclaimer: I don't know Onkyo internals for poo poo and for all I know they all run off unicorn farts of differing colors.

Might be worth seeing if there is a PS4 firmware update first if you haven't tried that already.
No way am I gonna risk bricking this thing by trying to install firmware meant for another model on it.

I'm always up to date on the PS4's firmware. The issue, as always, is that all talk on the internet about the USB audio support for the PS4 is just speculation. Maybe you'll remember before that I swore the sound blaster sounded different when connected by USB vs. optical, and I had to give up on wondering why they should be different and just trust my ears that optical sounded better.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also like I said, I read that this is mostly the same internals as TEAC's. The review said that one component was different but it could be called the rutabaga disassimilator for all I know about the components of a DAC.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm still in love with my Audio-Technica Airs (together with the Onkyo DAC i bought earlier it's just doing it to me in my earholes, to quote Mr. Clinton) and I have been wondering recently, are there any in-ears that can give sound like headphones like that, or is it just impossible?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 2, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been reading about the first generation of completely wireless bluetooth IEMs (following Apple's) and am wondering when the next generation of them with the kinks ironed out are going to appear. Or have they already? I was kind of looking at Onkyo's set but there are complaints about the short battery life and stuff.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

metztli posted:

Reading the reviews it looks like it lets voices through by design and that's absolutely what I want to avoid. Am I missing something?
I didn't think there were noise cancelling headphones designed to stop voices. I thought they were designed under the expectation that if someone is talking loudly around you you probably want to know about it, for emergency reasons if nothing else.

I bought some in-ears for an upcoming bus trip, Onkyo E700Ms. I rather like them so far.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 8, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If I use mostly Spotify for music on my iDevices does whether bluetooth headphones have AAC support or not matter?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I demoed Onkyo's completely wireless Bluetooth earphones at a store and holy poo poo they were a wreck; mushy sound compared to their cheaper BT earphones (which I just bought) and also one or the other side was cutting out every few seconds.

I am hearing that Apple's AirPods are a lot better than I assumed but are the other attempts at this as bad a failure as these Onkyos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I used Aftershokz for years while cycling and thought they were the bees knees but with the advent of earphones like my Plantronics Backbeat Fit, which are conventional but designed to let in outside sound, I don't see the point anymore.

edit: they're probably both still illegal in Japan though; they set some new laws about cycling a few years ago but afaik almost no one has actually been punished by them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 15, 2017