Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I have a pair of HD555 that I use exclusively on my PC. I need a volume knob so that I can easy change the sound level while in the middle of a game or movie. What's a good inexpensive solution that won't degrade the signal integrity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

glompix posted:

Is it hooked straight up to the PC's headphone jack, or do you have a DAC/amp? Either way, I wouldn't spend a dime on this and would just use either media keys or AutoHotKey. I don't know what kind of adjustments you're making, but they sound temporary or minor. If you have a DAC, yes that would technically degrade the quality a bit, but would it be too much? If you're plugged straight in, then the quality wouldn't be any different when changing the OS volume anyway.

It's hooked up right to my sound card, which is supposed to have a built in amp.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus christ, 60 bucks and all I want is a volume knob. Maybe I'll just buy a potentiometer and solder one up myself.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yup it's a Xonar. That USB control is an option, I'll look into it. Honestly I wish they had something that fits into a free drive bay on a PC case but I haven't been able to find anything like that.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Need some shopping advice. I love my HD555s to death, but they are starting to get long in the tooth and I'm feeling the consumer's compulsion to upgrade. Also while I appreciate the audio quality, they sound a little sterile, if that makes any sense. Music and games don't really pop. I'm looking at two options:

HD598: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphones-Burl-Wood-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=pd_ybh_23
The HD555s were the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn, and these look like they'll feel the same. I like the aesthetics of it too, it reminds me of a sedan's interior. The real question is, are these a significant upgrade over my old pair in terms of audio?

AKGK701: http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K-701-Headphones-White/dp/B000EBBJ6Y/ref=pd_sim_e_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1KXTGXZH81780YFNNER4
I've read some good things about this model. I am weary because the only other AKG product I ever owned was a K77, and those were horrendously uncomfortable. They had a hard membrane that flattened the tips of my ear cartilage and after about an hour they were unbearable.

I would also appreciate recommendations for a USB DAC with a big volume potentiometer. Something that's solid and won't pop and distort the audio when I change the volume levels. Preferably less than $150, and Amazon Prime would be a big plus.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
drat those HD650s better be mindblowing to cost as much as an Xbox One.

What about sites like this that sell em for almost 50% off? http://www.shoppingclick.com/Sennheiser_HD650_Headphone?gclid=CPXIvvye0b0CFewRMwodCGYAow

Is it a case of too good to be true? Am I going to get some shady knock-off?

And if I do buy them I sure as hell am going to need a good amp. Still looking for recommendations for a combined DAC amp for my desktop.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
My HD650 came in the mail today and I was pleasantly surprised that my little E10 USB powered amp can drive them just fine. So far I'm not blown away but are solid and much better well built then the HD555 I previously used. Now I just need to find some high quality audio to really test hem out with.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Can you really get good bass out of headphones? I mean you really need to feel bass all over, I would think only a subwoofer could really provide that feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a good mobile headphone in the $50 neighborhood. I'm willing to spend up to $100 for the right product. It must have a built in mic for phone calls, preferably with a phone button as well. I want noise isolation as this will be used on noisy busses trains and airplanes.
I'm currently using a pair of Koss PortaPro which I love, but they don't offer any isolation and can get somewhat uncomfortable. IEM or circumaural closed.