Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
So I picked up a pair of 'premium' Beyerdynamics 880s from Amazon for Black Friday. These are the 600ohm version.

Any recommendations on the amp / dac combo to drive this thing? I was thinking Schiit Magni/Modi since they appear to be good quality / affordable, but I am not sure if they can drive high impedence headphones well. I'd like something that can get reasonably loud without distorting to hell.

Any suggestions on amps / dacs? I listen mostly to modern/classic/electronic rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Shogunner posted:

Updates on my DT880's. The cable near the jack is faulty. If it wiggles to the right, the right phone goes out. Laaaame. Tested it on a bunch of different things too, so I'm sure it's the cable. Never had an issue with Beyer's build before today. :(

Oh well, guess I'm waiting another week. Was a pretty pleasant few hours though.

I see you have the 880s paired with a Bravo Ocean. While, they worked, how did you like the combo? I am debating a tube amp for my 600 ohm version and don't know which amp to choose. Hoping for something that pairs nicely with the 880s, and debating going Schiit Modi / Magni vs tube amp.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Any one here have a Schiit Valhalla and care to comment on it?

I am looking for a OTL tube amp for my 600ohm dt880s (OTL tubes seem to be recommended by HeadFi) and this one does look awesome. Any reason this would be a bad amp for my setup?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
I'm wondering if someone can help me understand something about headphone terminology. I am using a dt880 and have decided to get a woo audio 3 otl tube amp, as it seems to be really highly rated when paired with beyers on headfi and other sites. I have the 600ohm headphones.

One of the options on the site is to add a preamp option. I'm fairly certain I'll be okay without the upgraded tubes (for now), but is this something that helps with listening on my phones? As I understand it this would be a preamp output from the wa3, which I guess would go into a receiver and then output to headphones / speakers, yes? Would this make an appreciable difference in sound? I have a high end denon receiver from a few years ago and may consider this down the line if it is the case, but I'm not sure yet.p if I should get this option.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

z06ck posted:

The HE-400's are on sale for $300 at Amazon right now, good pick. I bought them months ago for $400. They're amazing provided you have a good DAC/Amp. Just a heads up.

These look awesome, what kind of amp would be good to pair with planars magnetic cans? will the Magni/Modi do it, or will I need something with more muscle to sound decent?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Magni is great for the HE-400. The hard planars to drive are the HE-5 and 6's. I think even my Beta22 requires changing my gain from 2x to 8x to have sufficient volume. If you are asking whether you should get the Magni for them or another amp, if you can DIY, the Objective-2 amp is also another great amp to try out and you can DIY with a soldering iron for around $120 or so, I believe.

Thansk for this. My soldering skills are terrible, so I'd rather go with a pre-built solution.

Sounds like you've tried the pairing w/ the Magni? I ask bcs I've read conflicting reports online on whether the the Magni can do it and still sound okay (some are reporting the pairing sounds lifeless?). Granted this is from HEADFI where half the people recommend the Asgard or Lyr for a $200 pair of headphones so I don't know what to think.

EDIT: my typing sucks

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Can anyone recommend on a good desktop mic in lieu of a dedicated gaming headset?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Armchair Calvinist posted:

What's your budget? You can use anything from a $4.33 Labtec 3.5mm mic to a USB condenser microphone with shock mount and pop filter ( :ninja: ) depending on how crazy you wanna go.

Oh what the hell, may as well go all out and say less than $100 if possible. I'd like people to hear me clearly. The Yeti ones look good though they are kind of bulky. I'd want a nice mic since it would bother me to pair a nice headpphone with a cheap piece of crap from wherever.

Now that I think about it, I do have access to my brother's Shure vocal mic. Any way to connect this cheaply to my computer? I assume quality would be comparible to $100+ pc only mic?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Incredulous Dylan posted:

The original Yeti is a great mic for the price. Can't believe you can get them for under $100 these days. I use the Pro, but afaik the only real difference is 24/192 recording. However, if you aren't going to be podcasting or something I'd say just go with a normal desktop mic. I've got my yeti (with shock mount/filter) on a swivel boom arm attached to the desk, myself.

Would love to see your setup. Any photos?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Also looking for a nice stand for my he400s. Can anyone recommend something nice that isn't a banana holder?

looking at something like the Woo stands, anyone have those?
http://wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html

or

http://wooaudio.com/products/wahps2.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Can anyone recommend a decent mic? I have he400s and I like them, but would like to use it as a gaming set.