Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have a pair of Sennheiser 558s that I use at home for music listening and gaming. I love them. I would love to get a second pair for my office at work. At $150/pair, and my lack of a headphone amp at the office (and listening to Pandora), makes me think a cheaper headset would perform just as well for a work environment.

Noise bleed is a not a concern, as I have my own office with a door. However, some form of noise cancelling provided by supra-aural or circum-aural is a must as I want to filter out the lower level general office drone (computers, printers, etc.). Earbuds are out as I previously had some Shure E2Cs that I couldn't wear for more than an hour at a time due to comfort issues.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm a big Grado fan. The SR60i is ~70 bucks and the 80i is about $100 (the price difference either gets you markedly better high/low performance or nothing noticeable, depending on who you ask). Both headphones are on the beefy side in terms of construction and cable, which I like for regular desktop use. Both models perform absolutely fine without amplification, though they readily improve with it- making them pretty versatile.

I'd also look at the Koss Porta-Pro, although I find them to be on the fragile/flimsy side. A lot of people also find them uncomfortable, though I personally haven't had any issues. They usually go for around $40, but I've seen them at ~50% off on Amazon before- at which they're an absolute steal for the level of sound quality you get (I was afraid of breaking them so I simply bought two when they were reduced).

My concern with the Grados is they are on-ear headphones. I'd be concerned about isolating outside noises from my office, like coworkers who have no idea that the speakerphone is a poor substitute for the handset.

Dogen posted:

You don't need an amp for 558s, and have you considered trying some Comply foam tips for IEMs to solve the comfort issue, if that might be a better way to go? They sell a sample pack so you can see what one works best for you.

One of my dogs actually ate my Shure E2Cs :(

Midorka posted:

Noise bleed and isolation go hand in hand. Anything that offers good isolation will drown out the hum that you mention, especially while the music is playing. Since you like the HD558 I'm thinking you'd probably like the Brainwavz HM5. The Creative Aurvana Live would probably be a good bet too.

As for the gaming headphones question, check the link at the bottom of the OP.

Those Brainwavz look pretty sweet. I actually found an old pair of Sennheiser HD200's I forgot I had. They are literally 13 years old. How do they compare to newer headphones?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I thought you said that isolation wasn't the be-all/end-all because you've got your own office.

I have a pair of 80i that I use at home and I find them to be just isolating enough for the listener. Sound bleeding out is way more of an issue than sound getting in, IMO.

Sorry, I did a poor job explaining. Sound bleed is OK because of my own office, I won't need to worry about it affecting other coworkers. Sound isolation is a big deal as there is so much ambient noise from coworkers having loud conversations in the hallways, abuse of the speakerphone, printers going off, etc.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have a pair of HD558's driven by the internal amp in my Asus Xonar DGX and I have no complaints regarding the sound. However, I'm going to replace my keyboard that has multimedia controls with a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard, sans multimedia controls. Since the keyboard also serves as my volume control I'm looking for a volume knob. Would I be best served by a headphone amp, and would there be any concerns daisy-chaining it with the amp in my sound card? I assume I can disable the xonar amp.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dogen posted:

Use an autohotkey script or the like to turn some key combo into volume up/volume down.

The problem with AHK is it will generally trigger Punkbuster in Battlefield 3. I'm just going to push ahead with buying the mechanical keyboard and deal with the volume control issue once I've had an opportunity to experience life without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dogen posted:

Anyway if you really just want to buy a sound card with a headphone amp get a Xonar DGX.

I have one of these and it sounds great with my Senn HD558's.