Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I dropped my Meelectronics A151s somewhere and was thinking of upgrading to the A161Ps this time around. Is the difference in sound quality worth giving up braided cables for? They seem to be available for the same price in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

I dropped my Meelectronics A151s somewhere and was thinking of upgrading to the A161Ps this time around. Is the difference in sound quality worth giving up braided cables for? They seem to be available for the same price in Canada.

I decided to move up a bit in price range and pulled the trigger on some Brainwavz B2s, then decided they were hideous even by goonlord standards and cancelled the order. Now I'm having trouble deciding between Rock It R-50Ms and Etymotic HF2s. The former seems to get better reviews for sound quality, but the build quality and isolation seem better on the HF2s, plus they have volume controls and the option of getting custom tips. Any thoughts?

Budget - <$200
Source - iPhone, iPad, MBP.
Isolation Requirements - The more, the better.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Accurate/analytical
Past Headphones - Sennheiser CX-300, Meelectronics A151
Preferred Music - Rock, pop, electronic, classical

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Retarded Pimp posted:

Aren't the R-50, B2 and Fisher DBA-02 pretty much the same IEM, with the same Knowles balanced armatures?

The B2 and DBA-02 are 100% identical, the R-50 has a different sound.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

grack posted:

6 of one, half a dozen of the other, really. They're both good headphones. I wouldn't use the custom tip option as a tipping point feature, though, as you can get custom tips done for just about any set of IEMs that you want.

Yeah, it looks like Etymotic's program isn't really any cheaper than what anyone else is offering. I ended up ordering R-50Ms, but they're still wending their way through various sorting hubs. I also ordered a pair of M6Ps to have something with a different sound profile to compare them to.

This is how it starts, isn't it?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

grack posted:

Also, headphones should not be used for:

-Erotic foreplay and/or self-flagellation

Wait.

What do you think "audiophile" means?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I forgot to post a review when I got my R-50Ms, but they're an amazing improvement over anything I'd had before. The level of clarity took a while to adjust to because previously muddled background things were suddenly competing with the foreground for my attention (e.g. the cymbals on some tracks went from "a dull thing keeping the beat" to like sitting next to them). The memory wire was miserable until I switched from Comply Isolation tips to Comfort, though.

Anyway, in honour of Spotify's entry into Canada, I'm looking for a new set of full-sized headphones to graze with.

Budget - <$250
Source - iPhone, iPad, MBP, home theatre receiver.
Isolation Requirements - The more, the better.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Closed circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Accurate/analytical
Past Headphones - Sony MDR-CD380, Sennheiser CX-300, Meelectronics A151*, Rock It Sounds R-50M, Meelectronics M6P
Preferred Music - Rock, pop, electronic, classical. Like 90% of my listening time is split between the Flaming Lips and Belle and Sebastian.

Also I guess I'm in the market for a cheapo Bluetooth headset with some degree of isolation for listening to podcasts.

*Meelectronics was nice enough to replace my first pair six weeks out of warranty. Then I lost the replacements :smith:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

If you can live without bluetooth the AKG 271 Mk.2's are around $225.

Yeah, these look good, anyone have a recommendation for a portable amp to go with them?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I found I was able to drive them fine with my iphone but they're really quite large to be wearing on the subway etc and they're 100% isolating.

Haha, yeah I wasn't planning on wearing the AKGs around town, I just wanted to not be tied to an outlet and also have the option to use it with my IEMs. A lot of reviews do seem to think the 271s go from "good" to "really good" with an amp, though. I'll try them on their own then maybe go for the Fiio E11 or E11K.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 2, 2014

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

You don't want to spend a lot of money on earbuds you'll use for physical activity because they'll be damaged through strain and sweat.

CX300 is a popular option around $50
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-stereo-earphone-black/9265412.p
http://www.frys.com/product/6558133

Aren't the CX300s kind of ancient and not recommended anymore? I'd buy one set of cheap ones for the gym (e.g. Meelectronics M6) and another higher-end pair for regular listening (e.g. Rock-It Sounds R-50).

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

How does the passive noise isolation of the Sennheiser HD 25 compare to the ANC of Bose QC 25/35s?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

How’s the noise isolation, though?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Bose also lets you swap through their app instead of the hardware button.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Does anybody own both Sony WH-1000XM4s and Bose QC 35 I/IIs? I have hyperacusis and I’m curious about how the absolute minimum volume output of the Sonys compares to the Bose pair.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Rumour mill says new Apple headphones tomorrow, fingers crossed because I have an irrational desire to throw money at new cans.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

$779 CAD lmao, no way unless the noise cancellation is magic.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I bought a pair of Beats Solo Pros because they were down to $190 CAD on Amazon for some reason, and they arrived with 0% charge. Isn’t that… bad? I thought optimal storage for lithium batteries was ~50%?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

The dates on the box are all 2019, it seems like maybe they’re old and the battery ran itself down naturally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

The Solo Pros are probably going to get returned because they barely fit on my head, the metal edge of the band digs into my scalp pretty hard. The noise cancellation is meaningfully worse than my Bose sets, but I was expecting that. I’ll see how they handle traffic noise while I’m walking tomorrow then make up my mind.

Also, $349 MSRP and they couldn’t afford an on/off button? Is mandatory fold-to-turn-off a feature anyone has ever asked for?