Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Budget - Still thinking about it. But I've been looking at downsizing some possessions to subsidize whatever I end up getting. Let's say $350 is the top end for now.
Source - iPhone 7, N3DS, PC and MacBook Air
Isolation Requirements - Home, not so much. Work, yes. I sit next to a 20 ton AC unit.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural or in-ear. On-ear is the devil and will never use. Also because I wear eyeglasses, it becomes very uncomfortable to use on-ears very quickly.
Preferred Tonal Balance - No real preference. I ingest so much different content that it hasn't mattered much to me.
Past Headphones - Bose QC15's are my current headphones still soldering on and also use Wirecutter's previous cheap in-ear bud picks, the Brainwavz Delta with Mic.
Preferred Music - Ranges from Nordic metal, to regular heavy metal to lighter stuff like Bowie and occasional old school hip-hop.

So with iPhone 7 included in the mix, I'd like to get a BT set with wired option for my other sources. So far I've looked at the Bose QC35, Sony h.ear MDR-100ABN and the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless. Obviously the QC35 seems to be the pick for me given I'm still on my QC15's, is this the right sentiment? The Sennheiser only has my attention because it offers a 2 year warranty and full on leather rather than the fake leatherette stuff the Bose and Sony sets use, otherwise I could ignore it.

I'm looking for similar, and QC35 are facing tough competition now. Momentum 2.0 wireless are good, PXC 550s look good too. But personally I'm leaning towards the Sony MDR-1000X once they release and we get more reviews. Only downside of Senn/Sony vs Bose is Bose supposedly works better with the iPhone since it supports AAC, whereas the others use AptX. In the case of Apple products it falls back to SBC. But I've seen mixed reports of how much that really matters, since the SBC implementation can achieve a high bitrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Depths posted:

Got the MDR-1000x today. Sound real nice and the ANC is pretty good. Not as comfy as the QC35s. The controller thing on the side actually works pretty well.

Awesome, I'm going to have to get myself one.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Jealous. I ordered late July so I have another few weeks of waiting.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

The HD6XXs that I ordered in October shipped! :toot:

Hopefully they work fine on my PC audio out and I don't have to get anything extra to drive them.

Just got my HD6xx an hour ago. Loving them so far. I got the Monoprice usb dac/amp to drive them for around $70 on sale a few months ago. I'd recommend it if you are only using motherboard audio currently and don't want to spend a lot.

edit: Just checked and it's on sale now too: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

HD650 is the only pair of cans I own where I switch to high gain on my Magni. No way the phone has enough juice.

I driven mine from both a desktop dac/amp and the iPhoneX with dongle. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison but the iPhone still sounded really good. I did have to go to 80%+ volume though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
Getting some random high frequency noise from my Monoprice desktop amp/dac. I'm fairly sure it is coming from the wall power outlet. It is like 5% of the time I hear it and I can't correlate it with anything on the same circuit. It does not change with volume and still happens even with everything except the power cable unplugged.

So now the question is, do I get a UPS with sine wave generation or buy a new AC-DC 15V converter and hope that fixes it. Or just live with it.

edit: For now I wrapped the power cable around a ferrite core a few times right before entering the dac/amp. Hard to know if it fixed it yet due to the randomness of it happening.

poppingseagull fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 24, 2018