Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NFM has AKG K550's for sale at $139 right now for some reason if anyone is in the market. That's a crazy good price I don't think I've seen elsewhere. I'd be picking up a set if I hadn't already last time I thought they had them on sale at too good a price to pass up.

Edit: so this isn't just a coupons post, does anyone have suggestions for compact (ideally folding) headphones? Something that gets flat-ish would be ideal. I have a set of AKG K26p's that are OK but have started to make creaky noises and get uncomfortable after a bit.

powderific fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pretty sure I read somewhere that AKG themselves confirmed that there should be no difference between the k and q 701 other than cosmetics?

Anyway, the K550's are on sale here for $140 and will have more bass than the q701's and also don't need an amp much if at all. http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=35054360 I find them much more comfortable than beer dynamic anything but that may be a function of my giant head.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Midorka posted:

Lots of AKG misinformation. The K701/K702 are the same headphones, audibly, with aesthetic differences. The Q701 have slightly boosted bass. The graph of the three can be seen here.

The differences are subtle, but you can see the Q701 is slightly boosted in the lows, likely the same drivers but mild dampening added in the housing.

And this graph shows them to be almost exactly identical: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/akg-quincy-jones-q701-sound-and-measurements

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Are there any more affordable custom iem's? $700 for those nobles is well beyond anything I'd ever spend, but I may need to replace my Etymotic HF3's soon as the cables have started fraying. The custom molds I got through Etymotic are fabulous though and I can't see myself using iem's without a set. At the moment I'm leaning towards either just getting another set of HF3's or Er4's so I can use my existing inserts. I like the idea of something that's one integrated piece though. And it'd be cool to try something new.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Checked out the giant comparison thread on Head-Fi and got some ideas, but just discovered that Etymotic will sell you replacement sets at a pretty good discount if you send them your broken set. Upgrading to the ER4S would be $180 that way. Not too bad since my HF3 custom sleeves are in perfect shape and fit the ER4. I'm a bit worried that wearing the cords over the ear won't work with the ER4S since they stick out so far though.

I've tried those Shure tips and they just don't work well for me Until the ACS custom sleeves on the HF3 I'd never been able to wear any IEM more than 15 minutes at a time.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I have no knowledge about the Sony's but different tips aren't going to help with microphonics if that's the issue. There are many IEM's in that price range, maybe you should look to something that doesn't have microphonics issues instead of trying to work around them? The giant IEM comparos on Head-Fi would probably be pretty reliable on stuff like handling noise.

Can your card output two sets of stereo at the same time? Then you could connect one output to the speakers and another to the headphone amp. Then you just turn one down and the other up to switch. I'd do the same thing with a DAC, just run the digital out at the same time as the speaker out and just turn off the speakers when you want to listen to headphones.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I run my e17 off optical toslink and it'll also run off spdif. DAC just means that digital (like the spdif output) is being converted to analog and there are plenty of non USB DAC's out there. You just need to see what inputs they support. If your card can't do it I'd think that your motherboard would be able to if it's at all recent.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No worries. Some of your more specific questions might be better answered at head-fi as you've got a better chance of finding people who have first hand experience with a broad range high end IEM's.

Been looking for a set of compact portable headphones and wound up finding some AKG K451's for $20 open box. For the price they're pretty nice. Sound's good enough for my purposes, they're relatively comfortable, and they get really small. If you touch the cord or cans at all there's a lot of handling noise, which is my biggest gripe with them.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ksc75's are also in sale for ten bucks and I really like them for running. They don't isolate at all, which may or may not be attractive to you.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skim Milk posted:

So I have the HD650s and a good amp and DAC. Where do I go from here?

I'd say different styles of headphones to switch things up. Maybe something with a fun sound signature like the V-Moda M100's? Either that or portable/compact stuff. I don't get to listen to my open headphones all that often as nearly everywhere I listen to headphones is too noisy for them to be fun.

Has anyone tried the NAD Viso HP50? Seems like they have an interesting sound and I like the way they've been described. I have a set of AKG K550's for at home that I like, but I'm trying to find another sealed set for work and I'd like something that isolates better than my ATH-M50's.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Has anyone had the chance to try out the NAD Viso HP50's? I'm looking for a good sealed headphone to go with my AKG K550 and Q701 sets. The K550's are crazy comfortable to my massive head, but I much prefer the sound of the Q701's. There's just something a little off in the k550 treble. But I don't have much time with enough quiet to listen with open headphones so the Q701's don't get as much use as I'd like.

My music taste is pretty varied--EDM, classical, jazz, random indie stuff, a little bit of metal and hip hop--so I'm looking for something that's a good all around set.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

Has anyone had the chance to try out the NAD Viso HP50's? I'm looking for a good sealed headphone to go with my AKG K550 and Q701 sets. The K550's are crazy comfortable to my massive head, but I much prefer the sound of the Q701's. There's just something a little off in the k550 treble. But I don't have much time with enough quiet to listen with open headphones so the Q701's don't get as much use as I'd like.

My music taste is pretty varied--EDM, classical, jazz, random indie stuff, a little bit of metal and hip hop--so I'm looking for something that's a good all around set.

gently caress it, just ordered a set from Amazon. I can always return them if they don't work out.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Edit: nothing to see here thought you were talking about the HP50 because I'm tired.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amazon just delivered my NAD Viso HP50's. After listening for about an hour I think I'll be keeping them. At first I was worried that the clamping force would be too much, but it hasn't wound up being a problem. They sound great with everything I've listened to so far--I'm terrible at describing audio gear unless there's something I really don't like though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hambilderberglar posted:

I went and tried them on and as much as I want to like them (because they've even got volume control which was a plus I forgot to mention) and they look so nice they pinch my ears even with the cups all the way down because I have a block sized slavic head.
Thanks for the suggestion though! I hadn't even heard of them, I'll spend some time on google and seeing what the common alternatives are for this one. I've seen the AKG 551 show up but I can't find anywhere to put one on my head.

I have akg k550's and they're extremely comfortable on my massive head. That said, I just picked up the NAD Viso HP50's and the sound and isolation are quite superior.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

For maximum isolation iem's are always going to be the way to go. I think bass is the hardest thing to isolate though. Etymotic are usually regarded as the most isolating, but they go waaay far into your ears and can be uncomfortable for some. I have a set with custom molded sleeves that make them amazingly comfortable.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I don't think there are that many regulars in this thread and there are a whole lot of people asking questions so stuff gets unanswered all the time. Try the head-fi forums--there are some huge comparisons there and you're way more likely to find someone who has experienced the iem's you're looking at.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It might be because my head is enormous, but I used to have DT770 Pro's and they got uncomfortable very quickly. The headband pressed into the top of my head.

A couple months into my NAD Viso HP50 ownership I'm very happy with them. They're the best sealed cans I've ever used and they work well with portables. Their schtick of sounding like a good set of speakers in a good room actually seems to work nicely.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I just use the Zalman clip on mic and it seems OK. Don't listen to myself so I don't know how the quality is (not great I'm sure), but people can understand what I'm saying well enough.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looks like the only changes are detachable cable and some kind of refinement to the earpads. The press release very explicitly states that they have the same sound so I wouldn't think there are any changes there.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I have two sets of Westone ear plugs (the hearing protection kind, not IEMs) that don't fit quite right anymore thanks to my ears holes getting bigger somehow.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pappyland posted:

Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, though perhaps not as open as the Grado, as I'd like to be able to use these while I'm more out and about
I'm currently debating between the AKG 701, the Grado 125i, the B&W P5s (due to discount), but will gladly accept other contenders

The K701's are going to be just as open as the Grado's and are pretty drat bulky to use out and about. I just picked up a set of NAD Viso HP50's for $300 and they're the best headphones I've owned. They're full size but get pretty flat for portability.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A lot of the hate has to do with them having such a positive brand perception in the general population when a lot of their stuff isn't particularly/at all good for the price. Their noise canceling is arguably better than anyone else's though, and they generally get good reviews from people who have experience with higher end headphones. If you're often in environments with constant noise (planes, trains, places with noisy air handling) the QC15 and QC20 are really good options.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm leaning towards the bose qc20s because everywhere online says they're super comfortable and attenuate alot of noise. However 300 is alot and wanted to see if there were other options. What do you guys use for long trips?

Long flights are one situation where the QC20 will really shine. I like my Etymotic HF3's with custom sleeves for long wear in noisy environments, but they're not much less than $300. IEM's are great for isolation but I don't find them comfortable for more than an hour or so if they aren't custom molded.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Etymotic has an app that pipes sound from your mic into the iem's so you can hear what's going on around you. You should really just try open headphones though. Do you crank your music up really loud? If not, it's probably not that objectionable. There are also some extremely cheap but pretty ok sounding open headphones out there you could try. I think KSC75's are under $20.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

They're pretty great, but they're also very expensive. The reason not to get them is that there's a lot of other really good stuff out there once you hit that price point. The NAD Viso HP50, Focal Spirit Professional and Classic, Sennheiser HD600s if open is an option, and so on. There are a lot of great headphones out there at that price point. You might still wind up with the Momentums but it's worth checking out some other options along the way.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

What do people think of the 650 vs 600? I swear I read a pretty long review somewhere that liked the 600 better but I've never had a chance to try both out at the same time for myself.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The HD600/650 are great and all but there are a lot of other cheaper options that might get you the "less sterile" sound you're looking for. The Audio Technicas Midorka mentioned are like $200. I'd also suggest looking at some of the newer closed headphones like the NAD Viso HP50 and Focal Spirit Professional, both of which are around $300.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I don't have an opinion myself as I've never heard them, but given the innerfidelity guy's review they might be perfect for you: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1-page-2

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It's not like they're now going to last forever just because you keep them in a case. Stuff can still wear out or break even if treated well. Especially something like IEM's where you have more delicate cables combined with mobile use instead of sitting pristine on a desk.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, fair enough. I guess for me it's more a reason to consider stuff with removable cables as that's the only thing I've ever had issues with on headphones, other than a little plastic adjuster breaking on my Q701's but I'm pretty sure that's due to my cat knocking them off a shelf.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

See if you can find a high quality recording of this. I can hear him working the fingerboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCicM6i59_I#t=5s

Edgar Meyer has a recording of the Bach unaccompanied cello suites performed on the double bass that I get a kick out of. You can really hear him working the instrument.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I have the hp50's and like them quite a lot. They're more balanced than the m100's and probably a better all round headphone. I don't listen to a ton of metal so I can't say whether they're particularly suited to it.

edit: I should clarify that I mean all rounder in the sense that they're better generalist headphones, not that they're straight up better than the M100's across the board.

powderific fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 19, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

If Illegal Carrot wants to have really satisfying bass in explosions and whatnot I don't think it makes much sense to push towards cans that have neutral/weakish bass. I really like the overall sound from my Etymotic HF3's and AKG Q701's despite their similar bass shy reputations, but they might be really disappointing to someone who's specifically looking for a strong bottom end.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

They are highly divisive for whatever reason. There are just as many people who think they're the most amazing vacuums ever and nothing else has nearly as much suction. I think they're silly myself. But that's not really headphone chat anymore.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It'll probably depend on the iem's. Etymotic has a program through ACS that makes them a good bit cheaper than normal. I think Sure has a similar deal with another company. For what it's worth, I really like my hf3's with custom molds, though the controls are pretty near where you seem to not want them.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

With that much you could jump up to the HD600, which seems like it could be a worthwhile upgrade.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No experience with the Phillips stuff, but I have the K550 and K702. Both of them are great headphones, but the NAD Viso HP50's I picked up to compliment them sound better and are more fun to my ears. The two AKG sets are extremely comfortable on my giant head though. I tend to grab one of those if I'm gaming, skyping, or watching a movie, and then the HP50's if I'm doing more serious music listening. My 702's had an adjuster piece break after a few years and it sounds like I'm not the only one who's had the issue. Thankfully my head is big enough that it needed to be at full extension anyway so it hasn't bothered me.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leaf Lock posted:

I'd go for Sennheiser 598. If you don't like the looks then AKG K612 Pro or K702. The headband for the K701 and Q701 are torture devices. The 70x series have a ridiculous soundstage, but it was probably too wide for my uses. Certain songs would seem unbalanced or off in some way and it would be distracting.

I actually think my Q701's are some of the most comfortable headphones I have—pretty on par with the K550's. Maybe it's because I have a huge head?

That said, I don't think anyone goes to the 700 series AKG's for bass (even if it's just a little bit more that you want.) I think the X1's would probably be a better choice in that regard. And they still looks very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones and I already have a lot of headphones. This is me trying to find some thin justification instead of any real need. Here's what I have:
  • NAD Viso HP50: My favorite of what I have now. Love the sound. The marketing speak claims they sound like good speakers in a room instead of headphones and I think I agree. Seems like they're great with any music. Only thing I don't like is they grip my head a little hard for long term listening.
  • AKG K550: These are the most comfortable headphones I've ever put on my giant head. For me they get used mostly for gaming since I like the HP50's so much more for music. The treble seems fatiguing.
  • AKG Q701: Second most comfortable headphone. My only open set at the moment which is nice for a change. I don't mind the sound on these, but music feels less powerful somehow.
  • Etymotic HF3 with custom ACS sleeves: Obviously a different animal from the others. Mostly my choice for the isolation.
  • AKG K451: Tiny folding sealed cans I bought because they were on clearance for $20. They're great for portable use since they get quite small. The cable has pretty annoying handling noise, and the sound is way bass heavy—not at all neutral, but not unpleasant.
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50: These were my main listening headphones before the K550's and HP50's, both of which I like better than the M50's. They live in my video camera bag now and they're perfect for that since they're already beat up and durable.
  • Beyerdynamic Dt770 Pro: Sold these probably 6 or more years ago. Don't remember a ton about the sound, other than that I was disappointed at the time. They were also very uncomfortable because they pressed on the top of my head really hard
  • Sennheiser HD580: Sold these a little after the DT770's. I remember liking them and sortof regretting selling them, but I wasn't listening to headphones much at the time.
I'm thinking about HD650s since I wouldn't mind having a set of open headphones that's a bit warmer than the Q701s. My other thought was a nice on ear headphone for mobile use. I was looking at the B&W P5 since it looks pretty and the whole paper cone instead of normal headphone driver is interesting.

Mostly I'm looking for something different from what I already have that's comfortable and could conceivably fill another niche in my collection.