Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

eames posted:

The battery capacity of my QC35 appears to be more or less ruined after leaving it sitting around at low state of charge for a while. I'm going to charge them from zero with a USB multimeter to see whats up.
Has anybody managed to replace the battery in one of these or is it too risky? I don't want to have a third party lithium pack explode next to my ear.

There's a video on youtube. It looks like it's possible but you have to both melt glue and solder/desolder the battery wires. The battery costs $35+ and is only available used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

5-HT posted:

they're class leading and beats isn't what it used to be back in the day, well as much as it used to be. best wireless iem's currently as an overall package. only big negative is the case.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beats/powerbeats-pro-truly-wireless

The most important line of that review is at the bottom where they say that the sound is basically the same as powerbeats 3. The pros do have the best airpod feature though - it'll turn on and pair automatically when you stick it in your ear and auto-pause when you take it out. All bluetooth headphones should do that.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Thanks to everyone itt who recommended the tin t2, they’re fuckin phenomenal for $30 aliexpress earbuds :cheers:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

grack posted:

Not all Koss headphones are good, but the KSC75s are definitely winners and worth trying.

Why do these companies have like one good product at a compelling price (or two, if the porta pros people used to rave about are still good?) and then dozens of cruddy also-ran dogfood products that cost just as much?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

^^^e: that's QC35. The 25's are wired and definitely have to have a working AAA battery in place to do ANC

So I just looked it up and it appears you can use ANC on the bose QC20's while they're charging, which covers your use case. They're IEMs instead of cans, though

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 22, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Get a t2 on aliexpress for like $30 now before shipping rates triple

e: I ordered from the store "wooeasy" and it got to KY in like a week ^^^lol

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 14, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like my T2’s. If you have a $100 budget you can easily get an mmcx cable with an inline mic or a Bluetooth receiver (look at fiio ubtr) to go along with them.

e: and some nicer tips if you need them

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You could just get a uBTR or the like, use your existing headphones and not have to do any splicing or soldering (though you could shorten the cable to where it only reaches to your collar/shirt pocket)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

grack posted:

If you don't want IEMs, then the Airpods are your best bet.

yeah, airpods are the best in this style, and they'll pair fine with windows/android/whatever. Other than that, there are the Chinese clones, and if you don't have to have true wireless, there's the plantronics backbeat fit line, and I think jbl and anker also make a model each

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bose juuuuuuust stopped making the QC25, which is wired, has good noise cancelling, and can still be found new on ebay for about half what the XM3 costs. The various Bose models lack EQ and a bunch of advanced settings that the Sonys have

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm hoping this is the right place to ask because all the amazon reviews and headphone reviews I've read are utter trash.

What's a good set of earbuds or headphones for the gym? I mostly do lifting and my previous pair was tossed because I got tired of them falling out all the time.

I'm looking at a budget of about 50$ and would be open to stuff a bit more expensive if its worth it. I prefer wired to wireless but, it doesn't really matter.

Anker Soundbuds Curve sounds decent and are sweatproof.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'll agree with most of the other comments on the BLON's. They sound good and definitely have a lot more bass than the tin t2. I trimmed the clear plastic ear hook thing off the cable with some snips and it resolved all of my fit/seal issues, because the cable is no long tugging them out of my ears.

Anyone know where I can get a super-short cable for these that's just long enough to reach a bluetooth receiver clipped to my collar or shirt pocket? I think I might have to DIY it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You can also buy them from the wooeasy shop on aliexpress if you're patient and want to save a few bucks

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't post there but it seems to be low on audiophile woo unless you go into the DIY cable subforum where everyone is jerking each other off about silver cables. The community seems much better overall than the headphones subreddit, where every item can be objectively ranked by how much money you spent on it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mirconium posted:

My lab used to be nice and quiet, but now we've hired a bajillion people and I want to stab someone on a daily basis for loudly talking 5 feet away from me about their dipshit opinions on Jupyter notebooks and beer festivals when they should probably be doing actual work.

Recommend me headphones that will keep me out of prison

Priority: maximum possible noise isolation (possibly canceling?), durability, comfort, wired (I'm a luddite)

Honestly not as much of a priority: sound quality. If they sound ok that's fine with me.

Price point: ~$100

PS: Are audiotechnicas still good/durable?

If you can stretch ~$30 the Bose QC25 is $130 on amazon right now. It has really good active noise cancelling.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Apple Health will log volume levels if you’re listening on an iPhone, though they claim it’s only really accurate with AirPods and beats headphones

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

a dingus posted:

I believe its from my GPU. I can hear the mouse move and the pitch changes depending on the load on the GPU. I will probably just grab a cheap PCIE sound card with optical out on Amazon and cross my fingers.

If you have a USB-C port, try the $8 Apple DAC first, unless you want an excuse to splurge on a nice headphone DAC/amp setup

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

JK Fresco posted:

Whats a good bone conduction headset these days

The newest (read: most expensive) Trekzzz that launched in the past few months are supposed to be way better than previous efforts

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

JK Fresco posted:

Where is the place to get a real blon. Searching blon shows dozens of copies

got mine from aliexpress shop "wooeasy"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Join my onlyfans to get exclusive access to my review IEM's, which have been in my holes and are coated with Gamer Girl Earwax™

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Just buy both separately on amazon

e: though my recent aliexpress chi-fi orders have all arrived in about a week

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don’t think Bluetooth 5 adds anything over 4 for audio use

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Out of curiosity, how's the bluetooth signal strength on the ES100 and BTR5? I have a BTR1K and the signal is so pathetic that I get intermittent dropouts if I move my phone from my front pants pocket to my back while I have it clipped to my collar

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Powerbeats Pro claims nine hours battery life, the Sony WF-1000MX3 claim 6-8. That's the upper end of the true wireless market, and they're both available for well under $300. I'm not sure about mid-range, but the battery life on the very cheap ones is universally terrible

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Piling on the bandwagon that there is absolutely no contest between the 58X and 599, particularly if they're at a similar price point

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

eSporks posted:

Needs to work with a bike helmet.

Before IEM's earbuds with retaining clips were all the rage, but they seem to have died off.

How about the Plantronics Backbeat Fit line? You could also look into airpods or bone-conducting headphones

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, that Apple USB-C adapter should be the first recourse for people getting garbage sound out of their PC. It even works fine if you use a USB-C to USB-A adapter (which I know is illegal and against spec, but yolo. I’m using the one from monoprice)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hikaki posted:

I didn't know the Apple dongle was so good. Unfortunately I don't have USB-C so I can't use it.

I'm literally using it with this right now: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=35254

e: gaming with sennheiser 58X at ~30% volume

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

anker soundbuds curve are good for the $20-ish they usually go for

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

iirc the iphone 11 was had bluetooth issues when it first launched. There are people in the amazon reviews saying it works as of iOS 13.2, but I don't have an iphone that new to test it with myself :shrug:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was trying to find a wireless headset (one that has a mic) was ALSO Circumaural, and ALSO has bluetooth, as I need it to connect to my work iPhone for work at home thing.

I see all of them have like, a USB thing they plug into the device but that's not good enough, it's got to have a boom mic, because the single in-ear ones have a garbage mic

Any suggestions?

The steelseries arctis pro wireless can connect to bluetooth.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

"I can see how a gamer might like it" has been responsible for so many terrible design decisions across so many different, but related and interoperating, industries.

If you work in marketing it’s gotta be easy hell to just mash the “make it hideously ugly and put some horrible RGB lights on it” button and win.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

They also make rf-wireless headphones for TV viewing (Sony and avantree seem to be the biggest brands), though I think they’re aimed at an elderly/hearing loss audience, I’ve never seen a serious ~audiophile~ review of any of them, and they aren’t much cheaper than :pcgaming: headsets anyway

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Adorama has had similar deals on various etymotic iems off and on for the past several months. I got some 2SE's for $70 and then the XR's were like $65 a little later :negative:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

site posted:

Unfortunately it seems the Sennheiser 58x, the 560s, the 6xx and that TYGR 300r are all out of stock everywhere. Beyerdynamic DT 770 and 990 are in stock but tbh I don't understand what people are talking about in their reviews to know what the actual differences are between the two and between those and the PC38x

The 6XX and 58X can only be purchased from drop.com and it looks like they're in stock

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

site posted:

Down at the bottom it says they won't ship until March 16 and March 31, respectively. So I guess not out of stock, technically, just unavailable

oh sorry, I didn't know they decided to get cute with the buy/pre-order/request setup they have

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've had very few bluetooth issues with apple, anker and aftershoks, though I do have a fiio BTR1K that has a range of about six feet and gets signal blocked by my rear end. I blame google for your problems, OP

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Postman posted:

Can anybody recommend a pair of wireless earbuds or IEMs that might be suitable for doing yardwork or exercising? I've gone through tons of cheap wired earbuds through the years and it's always a pain in the rear end getting the wire caught on something and yanking them out of my ears. Not particularly worried about sound quality for these purposes.

beats flex if you care about apple ecosystem integration, anker soundbud curve otherwise

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've had the USB-C one on my desk for more than a year and it is working fine. I took one look at the lightning DAC, imagined it dangling off my phone in my pocket, and decided bluetooth was an inevitability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

did you order the new multi-driver thing?