Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

Fiio's stuff usually isn't the absolute best around, but it's always a pretty significant amount cheaper than the actual top for not being massively lesser.

I just gotta shout out my lil BTR1K. I got a short right-angle 3.5mm cable and I can clip it right on the headband of my SHPs or my jack modded DT770s and have lag-free wireless with decent headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
here's a hot tip: wash your silicone etymotic tips with dish soap. if you don't, eventually oil and dirt will creep into the tube and it'll unstick from the stem and you'll spend 10 minutes fishing it out of your ear with tweezers.

e: tbh 9 minutes and 50 seconds of that was looking for tweezers

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 18, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
probably not a bad move. the momentum brand was p. good but trying to compete with sony / apple / bose seems like a waste of time when the pro market margins are better anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tony Phillips posted:

Long story short - what's a decent $100-$150 wired IEM bang for your buck option that isn't specifically meant for bass heavy music?

Etymotic ER2XR or SE are unbeatable for the price as long as you can get along with the fit, otherwise moondrop starfield might be up your alley.

e: i'd recommend the XR, the bass boost is largely a sub shelf that you won't notice unless the music calls for it.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 22, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Buffis posted:

So uh, I'll probably be picking up some Aune X1s and a Aune X7s, cause a dude is selling them for cheap and I am dumb and like stuff, so want some recommendations for what to buy for them.

Focal Elex all day for that budget.

henpod posted:

Still rockin' and appreciating BLON BL-03.

yeah i'm having a BLON-03 kinda day and they're still great.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

everythingWasBees posted:

Is there something similiar to the dt770s but with a removable cable? I think I'm cursed.

akg k371

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They're about equivalent with the bose 700 or sony xm3. If it weren't for covid I'd say just go try them all out and see which you like.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
that budget is a bit tough, maybe AKG K361? Koss KPH30i is a good option for open back and less money.

you'd get a shitload more bang for your buck with IEMs at that price, the BLON 03 or the Tin T2 Plus would blow away anything else you could get and give you better isolation for that matter.

we really need a new OP

e: Oh jeez I completely forgot about the CB-1s, those are great.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 9, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Peachfart posted:

Yes, microphone, sorry.

The CB-1 have a standard 3.5mm jack in 'em, so you can use a vmoda boompro or equivalent, it'll plug right in.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LODGE NORTH posted:

Preferably under $100. An ideal or somewhat desirable feature would be if the cable connecting the headphones themselves to the headphone jack on the device is easily detachable from the headphones. Via 3.5mm or otherwise, if I could just do a quick pop on and off, that’d be great. Dunno if that’s even an option, to be honest.

Status Audio CB-1 are your best bet.

M40x sound good but the stock pads are cheap and thin, and the cable, while removable, is an annoying 2.5mm locking thing instead of a regular 3.5mm. The 7506 are great portable monitor headphones but the stock pads are even cheaper and thinner and will shed bits of black plastic everywhere, and there's a powerful upper midrange honk that makes them pretty bad for vocals.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ok Comboomer posted:

Cant say I disagree about the cable, but high quality replacement pads are easy to get for both in a variety of materials/colors for $10-20

I mean, the m40x are good headphones, I used to recommend them before the CB-1 existed. The Status cans sound pretty much the same, except they come with great pads out of the box, a nice flat 3.5mm cable and they cost $30 less.

I also hate that AT headband honestly. It's creaky, it's chunky, it'll flake like those 7506 pads eventually and it's impossible to replace.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I slept with a wired headband for ages, my trick was to attach a lil mp3 player with white noise on a loop

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oysters Autobio posted:

Looking for new headphones (getting separate mic so microphone not necessary).

Status Audio CB-1. Much, much more comfortable and cheaper than either the sony or AT options at that price.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RichterIX posted:

Edit: Whining about it made me remember, it was the Tranya b530 Pro.

i think that was me, I still like 'em!

I don't honestly know how different or better they are than other $30 tws jobbies, but I think they sound more than good enough, even as a big ol' headphone snob.

e: what I'm really waiting for is a TWS set with APTX-LL but who knows if that's ever gonna happen

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Yuns posted:

Thanks for all the information. I was also interested on the Arya and the Focal Clear especially since reviewers like Crinacle like them but the Amir reviews on ASR made me pretty wary of Clear and the most recent review of the Ananda on ASR was not good.

Have you listened to any of these cans? Crinacle has pretty specific tastes and ASR, while arguably more objective tends to hone in on "issues" that often don't make any audible difference.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Doesn't really matter, but what you don't want to do is leave windows volume low and then turn your amp up to compensate. If you leave the amp turned up to what you want your 100% to be, then you can use windows volume to attenuate.

on a whim I took the foam out of the back of my KPH30i and I think it's an improvement. These are still absurdly good.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
actually yknow what people need to own KPH30i and I'm gonna post about it

they sound better than literally anything else under $50 except maybe BLON 03s, and those are a whole other thing. They're absurdly comfortable, they weigh nothing and they cost $25. They have a lifetime warranty. They're the people's headphone.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Portapros are great, KSC75s are great, but the kph are the most comfy by far imho

Why no inline mic? It's pretty unobtrusive.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'd go with the monolith dac/amp, but if you don't need balanced I'd get that One amp from drop and a decent separate dac like a topping D10s or whatever, save yourself like $200.

e: also return that schiit! don't bother with repairs inside the return window!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Combine that with the THX 789 and you've got the 788 for slightly cheaper basically, lol.

you could go even cheaper since the 789 isn't actually balanced, you'd get no benefit from a balanced dac anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
schiit is fine if you want a decent audio thing and it absolutely has to be made in america.

the problem is that asian audiophilia has absolutely blown the gently caress up in the last 10 years and schiit is no longer remotely competitive, especially with all that fancy THX stuff out there and the topping a90 and whatnot.

they are definitely trying harder than Grado though, i'll give them that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DancingShade posted:

The Topping A30 pro amplifier is terrifying to me, in a good way. No idea what I'd use that power for though.

I use the old A30 that tops out at like 1.5w into 32 ohms and I only ever use medium and low gain. I can't imagine quintupling that. Good lord.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
That fiio should be way more than enough, you can just leave it plugged into usb and ignore the battery if you want.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Blessing 2 Dusk

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

1mpper posted:

What's the scene like these days for an upgrade from the 595s? Are the 560S comparable at all? As I remember going up to the 600 is a much more neutral headphone from the 595. Willing to stray from Sennheisers if anyone has a solid recommendation.

560S, 58x or 6xx would all be a big upgrade.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Just use line out from the dac to drive a separate headphone amp. basically anything from topping or JDS labs will do, you shouldn't have to spend more than a hundo.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
You can split a line-out however you want, they make RCA cables that'll do it a bunch of different ways. Splitting a line level signal isn't really an issue as long as you're not doing more than a couple devices and your cable runs are reasonable.

Re-amping a headphone output is usually not a good idea due to the fact that most cheap headphone outs are pretty bad sounding at any volume, especially that behringer. It's a decent enough dac though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
You can just plug normal 1/4" TS cables in if you don't need balanced out, those jacks are meant to do either.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Sounds good to me! I did pretty much the same setup with an old Presonus interface before it died, worked great.

Come to think of it, the Atom has pre-outs anyway so you don't really need the RCA splitters. Just plug your monitors into the atom outputs, that way you control the volume for both with one knob.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
thankfully libldac exists and can do all the various aptx flavors. just apt-get install libldac pulseaudio-modules-bt if you're ubuntu-adjacent.

e: apple's codecs obviously won't work though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I picked up some thieaudio legacy 3s, thinking I'd audition them for customs since linsoul only charges $80 for a reshell (!!)

well, so far they're comfortable enough that I don't really feel the need to bother, and they sound like... well, imagine the BLON 03. Now imagine that someone spent double the time and money taking that signature and fixing everything about it. The bass bleed is gone, the midrange is up, the treble extends much further.

I can't really imagine buying a closed back headphone for $120 when these exist. And they're not even the only chifi iem this good at the price point.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I don't know if they'll reshell other brands, but if you add $80 to the price of just about any of their Thieaudio iems and send them an impression or STL file, they'll send you back a custom. The Legacy 3 is around $120 base, so that puts the custom around $200 which is, imo, nuts.

e: https://www.linsoul.com/products/thieaudio-legacy3 it's $70 now, so i guess $10 even more nuts than I thought it was

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
entirely possible, I've read a few reports of shells being too small as well. or they could be great! i'm enjoying the universals either way.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I haven't heard the 9600 but apparently they went for a different tuning. the 9500 is a bass-light headphone with nice mids and treble that gets almost but not quite annoying at times. it's very good at positional audio for the price and it's very comfortable. the 9600 is apparently a whole other thing, more of a warm v shape. honestly most people will probably like the 9600 better, and they're more reasonably priced now.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 7, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Sure, it exists, it's not like it's missing the bottom half of the spectrum, it just isn't prominent like most things are tuned these days. It's great for orchestral stuff, or games, or even movies to an extent, but if you listen to nothing but EDM and hip hop i'd probably consider something else.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kirtar posted:

My current set until I sat on it and destroyed the hinge is an Audio-Technica ATH-m40X which was fine in terms of comfort, though the wear of the leatherish coating was bad and I almost would rather it have been the cloth to begin with at that point. My main issue with the set is that I straight up can't plug it directly into my computer since it's too loud even at minimum volume settings. Hell even my phone drove it at a level where I'm usually on the lowest or second lowest volume setting.

Preferred Music - Mostly classical and Broadway

the Sennheiser HD 58X would be perfect imo. That's always my go-to tuning for orchestral music.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kirtar posted:

I went ahead and got these since they also seem good at the price point. Turns out that the volume is just about right at the minimum usable volume setting on my computer (it cuts out below 6%). I probably could have gotten away with higher impedence and/or lower sensitivity, but it's still infinitely more usable than what I had before.

There must be either another output on the card for headphones, or a gain setting in software to fix that. That's way way way too hot, and super not normal.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
honestly the apple usbc dongle is my favorite iem amp. i have like four of 'em.

e: for extra irony i don't use one on my phone, it's an lg v30 and sounds great as is

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 15, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
oof, yes you can do better than k240s.

k371 is the current AKG model and it's pretty good, but my rec would be status audio CB-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

KodiakRS posted:

Does anyone know where you can buy the foam they make headphone pads/cushions out of? I bought a new work headset that I really like but the pads are curved to fit normal sized heads and not my giant noggin. I'm hoping that I can spend some time with an exacto knife and some foam to create something that fits a bit better but all I can find so far are replacement pads and not the material itself.

Knockoff Grado pads are super cheap and you can fit them on tons of things, search on amazon.

it's slightly silly but koss kph30i with grado pads are lowkey astounding for the price