Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Anyone ever send in their headphones to Sennheiser for repairs before? If so how much did it cost? Trying to decide if I should try getting my headset (PC 350) fixed or to just get something else entirely. The right cup intermittently cuts out when the wired connect on the left cup is jiggled.

edit: looks like I might be able to do a solder job if the disconnect is in the ear cup hmmm!

Etrips fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So if I were wanting to replace my "gaming" headset with something more appropriate, what would I be looking at? I'm assuming headphones + dac/amp + some sort of mic? Can something reasonable be had for around $300 ish?

edit: Would be hooking it up to a PC if it was not obvious.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 17, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Constellation I posted:

Unless your motherboard's line-out/headphone-out is super noisy then don't bother with a DAC.

These will be either slightly or well below your budget but for gaming I'd go with:

Audio Technica AD900X + ModMic 4
Philips SHP9500 + V-Moda BoomPro
Sennheiser HD598 + knockoff BoomPro (plugs in to the headphone's 2.5mm jack with no mods)

If Massdrop is still selling it, then also AKG K7XX + ModMic 4, but you may need an amp to get the best out of the K7XX. Never tried them without an amp before, but it's my go-to.

If you're into competitive FPS, then check my post history to add a soundcard or amp with Dolby Headphone for virtualized surround sound.

Unfortunately the massdrop for the AKG K7XX is over and I missed out. That being said, I think an AKG Q 701 might be the second runner up. What kind of amp would you suggest with that setup?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
In case anyone is interested, Massdrop just put the AKG K7XX for orders.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?referer=UWLEPP

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

NewFatMike posted:

Nice! I was really looking forward to the Sennheiser HD 6XX because I love my HD 518s, but in the meantime why not check these out?

Yeah I am reading that they benefit a lot from an amp. Currently trying to figure out which one to get. Think I'm leaning towards a Schiit Magni 2 or a JDSLabs O2. However I've also read that they do better on a tube amp and... aahhhh! Can't decide.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
The dt770 80ohm version come with the sweet velour ear pads which are super comfy. They can get pretty hot after awhile though!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Jack Forge posted:

any opinions on Astro A50's vs A40's or anything comparable? i need a new computer gaming headset.

I just went through the whole research ordeal since I had to replace my gaming headphones. Long story short, the only reason to get a "gaming" headphone is for the convenience factor of having a microphone built in. The sound and microphone quality of anything available out there right now is pretty much hot garbage for what you pay for. If you want the best bang for your buck you are better off getting real headphones + mic. And if you are feeling really frisky, getting a DAC+Amp combo would benefit you even more. This thread over on Headfi has a lot of good information if you want to dig into this more. Or if you are deadset on a "gaming" headphone, get a Sennheiser GAMEONE or Logitech's G933 (Wireless).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BurritoJustice posted:

Audiotechnica also have some good gaming headsets, which are basically AD700x/AD900x with freakishly good microphones on them. The AD series audiotechnicas are legendary for use in online shooters where you rely on audio cues.

The AD700/900x do not have microphones on them...? Are you thinking of the M50x or ADG1X? But you are correct, the AD700/900x line is pretty much a good place to start off with and it does not require an amp to run them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I have no issues with the AK7xx for long periods of wear. And I have a fairly large head.