Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I currently use ATH-A700 as my headphones for listening to music at my computer, as well as playing videogames. I've had them for about 10 years and I'm starting to get some intermittent noises that make me think there's a loose connection starting to develop. Doing some brief looking online any possible repair would involve soldering which I don't know how to do and given their price it probably wouldn't be worth it to have some place repair them??

A quick google tells me that the headphones are no longer sold. What replacement options would ya'll recommend?

I do want to stay with a closed style, currently I also have a modmic attached to the headphones for gaming purposes, are any of the gaming headphones with built in mic worth the purchase if I want audio quality and headphone comfort to the same level or better than my current headphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's kind of a bummer, those are good cans. Audio Technica still makes that style if you like it, check out the A990Z.

If you already have a modmic you're much better off putting that on a set of proper headphones, gaming headsets haven't really caught up in terms of sound quality except in rare cases.

Alright thanks, looks like it's not in stock excepting 3rd party markups on amazon, just sent off an email to AT and we'll see what they say.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

trem_two posted:

For some reason all of their over ears of that basic style with the "wing flaps" have been out of stock since late November / early December. Amazon has an estimated ship date of March for one I've been keeping my eye on. I'll be curious to see if they do give you a response.

Update on this, AT hasn't gotten back to me but I happened to see they were in stock on amazon last night and placed an order that should arrive Feb 5 or so.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AYZZE24/

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's kind of a bummer, those are good cans. Audio Technica still makes that style if you like it, check out the A990Z.

If you already have a modmic you're much better off putting that on a set of proper headphones, gaming headsets haven't really caught up in terms of sound quality except in rare cases.

Thought I'd post a mini-review of my A990Z's now that I've had them for a few weeks. I won't attempt to compare the sound quality beyond saying it seems fine/the same. I was never an expert and my left ear hearing is messed up. With that said the ear pads are circles and the padding sucks, and I get static shocked with these ones whereas my old ATH-A700s I never got static shocked. Google tells me it's a general thing that happens but still very annoying.

I actually swapped the pads with a new pair of pads I had on hand for the ATH-A700 which are larger oval shaped and seem to have better padding as well. Made the new setup more comfortable and reduced the amount of static shock times to, well, a lot less. I think they'll serve me well, hopefully for as many years as the old ones did.