Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
What have your experiences been with home, or professionally molded in ear headphones?

Chafe posted:

Sony MDR-7506 are studio monitors and should only ever be used for that purpose. They're tuned in a very specific way that is terrible for music listening.

How is that? What is that "very specific way" that's terrible for music listening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

*effortpost*

Well that makes sense. So.. studio monitors are "reference bad tools". I'd always figured studio monitors would be the flattest response setups a manufacturer could build. There goes logic.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ddogflex posted:

Also, another suggestions request, headphones for in bed? Sounds quality means gently caress-all, I just watch stupid TV shows with them when I go to sleep. I keep falling asleep with Apple EarPods in and then my ears hurt like gently caress.

I use a pair of cheap metal body, rubber cup, earbuds, that I molded into silicone. I"ll post some pictures in a moment here. The silicone molds make it so I can lay on my ears with no discomfort whatsoever.

Edit: Please excuse the oil and wax on them.. they spend a lot of time in my ears.

When I molded mine, I used a spare ear cups, and cut them back while molding it. Leaving the cap to put the normal canal cups on.

And with the cups removed.

The instructions for the silicone say to completely encapsulate the headphones in the silicone. I've had the cords fail earbuds before. So I wanted to be able to swap them. I have a couple spare pairs of this model of JLab headphone, so I can re-use the silicone molds on there.

The silicone set was $22 I think. And it had enough silicone putty in it to do my ears twice.

These are the most noise isolating things I own. Even beyond the yellow 33db ear plugs I wear while riding. Talking to someone while wearing these things is really very, very, difficult.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 11, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ddogflex posted:

I never even thought about using those silicone molds for comfort reasons, only isolation. I think I will have to try this out. Thanks!

It surprised the heck out of me when I discovered that property of the molded earphones. I'd like to see the result of what you do!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

What's the cheapest way to get multi driver IEMs?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Why do you need multiple drivers? I know the driver count war was a thing for a while, but a lot of newer drivers have come out and sound great with fewer actual drivers than a few years ago.

Need, want, want to try.. all different things. I just picked up VSonic VDS3's, and while i'm still sorting them out, I want to see what the "next step" is like. I'm not above getting a crossover and molding several sets of drivers into the same resin/silcone casting... but really I'd prefer to avoid that.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So.. I've got a weird one.

I can't get my headphones quiet enough. I like my hearing, I don't need them this loud. I could go down the rant path, where the engineers who do these things are just.. not understanding how audio works. But that's neither here nor there.

I want headphones, that are bluetooth, noise canceling, and can go quiet enough.

I currently use MPOW Wolverine earbuds, and MPOW M5 over the ear with noise cancelling.

Thanks everyone.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I think... there's a bit of a miscommunication.

They won't go quiet enough. This has been a thing I've found with almost everything bluetooth. When i'm in "normal" environments, I have them down at volume setting 1. That's the thing, i'm not cranking them up.

The noise cancelling, over the ear ones, spend most of their time on notch 1, with the noise cancelling turned on. I wear them at work, where the a/c system, and some sort of whtie noise generator are running to try to make the open office more tolerable. NC turned off, I might be tempted to set them to notch 2. When I wear them in the data center, they're ~almost as good~ as wearing 3M 33db earplugs, with the side effect, of getting to listen to music or a podcast. In a cold aisle, I'll end up scooting the volume up to say.. notch 3 or 5.

The IEM style headphones, I get a real good seal (or sometimes I use custom silicone molds with them..) and those lived at notch 1, unless I was out riding my bicycle, where notch 5 or 6 was needed to get over wind noise. Silicone molds and IEMs even made me set my phones down at minimum volume when using the headphone jack.

I haven't read the million pages here, but making your own silicone molds for your headphones is easy, and awesome. Hopefully people here have detailed that.

The real answer ot my problem, might be an audio pre-processor on the phone to knock down the volume to half or whatever before it gets kicked out to the bluetooth feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Oh. What you meant to say was "they don't stop enough outside noise getting in, so I crank the volume"?

If that's all you really want wear regular IEMs with industrial over-ear hearing protection on top.

No. I don't crank the volume up at all. I'm sitting here, in the office, with the headphones set to volume level 1. I want like.. a volume level of 1/4 or 1/2.

Lowness 72 posted:

Ok. For Bluetooth, find the option to desync phone volume from headset volume. That way you can set both phone and headset volume separately. Then knock the headset volume all the way down and use the phone volume. See if that works.

Also on your phone you can usually change the step volume changes. I think the Samsung S9 can do it. PowerAmp can also do it on Android. Change the step so you can get a lower volume step.

Hope that helps.

That's useful. Both options. I'll give that all a go. I'm about to step into my S9. I'm really, really, annoyed at the world of digital volume control. Audio power is a cube, not linear, people. *shakes fist*

Wheeee posted:

Suck it up about using a cable and get some Etymotics, they attenuate most sound better than ANC and allow you to listen at very low volumes while retaining excellent detail.

Using a cable eventually leads to hardware failure. While i'm not entirely adverse to it, not having a cable really makes working on stuff a lot easier.

The trouble i'm talking about with volume stepping, is a problem that happens with corded headphones too. And isn't limited to my phone. Just the phone is the one I hoped to have a reasonable chance at fixing. :-) And... thanks to Lowness 72.. I think I may have that solution.

Edit: Here I thought I was going to need to buy something decent quality to get a decent sound curve. "Hey, disable the android/bluetooth audio volume link, and you might do better" .... well it did, and now I can get my headphones quiet enough. Thank you!

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 5, 2019