Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I still say to anyone considering the m40x, just get the ATH-m70x. It's endgame for walkin-around-headphones. It comes with a bunch of cables, a nice case, it folds well, it's got a smaller profile, and sounds better in every regard. It's not as thumpy in the bass, but in a good way.

That's a pretty big price jump, and arguably a lot to spend for walking around cans. They're that much better than the m40x?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I really like my ATH AD700s for gaming. The wide sound stage is good for positional audio and they're suuuuper comfortable. I think you have to order them from the US though, I recall them being a pain to find in Canada.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just got my Carbo Tenores in the mail today, these do sound really great for how cheap they were. As expected the build quality is pretty flimsy though. I think these will stay at my desk at work and I'll keep using my RE-400s as my walkin' around headphones. Now I just need some closed back cans to double as earmuffs when the weather gets colder and I'll be happy with my headphone collection for another few months.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Unless you really need BT headphones I have a feeling that right now is a terrible time to buy a pair. People upgrading to the iPhone 7 is going to create more demand and likely more options for wireless headphones over the next couple of years.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/567089b73c33056f/

These headphones have no adjustment mechanism and use the weird wing things instead to just fit on your head. They're super comfortable and I really like them for gaming/movies. I've used mine daily for about 5 years now and they're still in great shape.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The Audio Technica AD series that prom candy linked are great, but be aware they are light on bass.

I should have mentioned that yeah, they're awesome for movies and especially gaming (the wide soundstage is awesome) but not great if you want to listen to a lot of bass music.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Probably heavily discussed already but why not bring it up again: worth going m50x over m40x?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hmm, good to know. Why swap the pads? Just comfort? I've never swapped pads on cans before, does it affect the isolation?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I tried the QC25's at a store a couple months ago and I couldn't believe how bad they sounded. I don't know if maybe they were using FM radio as the source or something but they sounded like headphones you would pay $20 for.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Carbo Tenore are pretty great IEMs for a low price. Cable is kind of flimsy but if you're just at your desk it shouldn't be an issue. I think they're like $35-40 in the US.

And yes you are correct, don't buy a gaming headset.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just use this Zalman, works fine https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_457ilpguwk_b

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
After a few weeks with the Comply tips I switched back to the silicone tips, I just can't get a comfortable fit or good isolation with foam.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Don't limit yourself to headphones with a mic, just run a separate mic. I love my ATH-AD700s for gaming. Very comfortable, nice wide sound stage. Bit light on bass but that's a bonus to me since bassy gaming can get annoying.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's up with these AKGs on Massdrop? I'm still playing with the idea of getting some new closed-back headphones https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Definitely don't buy the Carbo Tenore for jogging, they sound amazing but they're flimsy.

If you're a stupid idiot who likes to buy lots of headphones I would recommend carbo tenores to leave at work and then something else for jogging.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My buddy bought them. They're pretty alright. Not incredibly accurate, but they're not at all bad.
I think my ATH-M70x sound better, but he seemed to like them.

They're huge on my head and envelop me. They don't sit on my ears right or seal properly so that's probably part of why they don't sound great.

I'll pass on them then, thanks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How are the HD598s for bass? I've been using my AD700s more for music and less for positional audio lately and wishing I had something with a bit more kick. I would still be gaming too but I'm playing less counter strike and more rocket league or civ with music on these days.

Edit: alternately, maybe I can figure out a way to push more bass through the AD700s, I do love wearing them.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 19, 2016

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
These would definitely just be my at home desk headphones. I don't want much isolation for these because then I can't hear if my wife is trying to talk to me or if someone is at the door or whatever.

I just tweaked some settings with my AD700s and got them sounding a bit better, I've been running them out of a FastTrackPro lately which I think made them sound really flat, so I plugged them back into the Xonar DG and boosted the power a bit. I might upgrade to those Massdrop HD 6xx's like you said if they do another run.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can anyone recommend some cheapo bluetooth headphones that my father in law can use for watching TV? Probably looking for on or over ear. Isolation isn't a big deal since his wife's hearing isn't amazing but comfort and battery life are both important. Something in the $50 range would be great if it exists.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Stereo headphones with a wide soundstage and knowing the map should be all you need to pwn n00bs on the Microsoft Zone.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Gaming headsets are generally not good.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Picked up the ATH-M50x today, holy crap these things are like the opposite of my AD-700s. You guys weren't joking about the bass. Looking forward to loading up some bro-step and cranking out some sweet JavaScript with these on when Xmas vacation is over.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I should post up my full requirements in case there's an obvious choice in the matter:

Budget - 100-150$ USD range
Source - PC with Headphone jack.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural ideally. IEMs are a no-go.
Usage - Primarily gaming, some music. Most Importantly: Needs to be comfortable to wear with glasses for long durations.
Past Headphones - NVX XPT100, extremely comfortable, I really enjoyed these but the headband section that held the cup broke. Something with this style of cups or level of tightness would be great.
- Sennheiser HD 598 Cs, these were much too tight, became very uncomfortable with glasses after about an hour or so of use.

So I'm seeing lots of recommendations for models such as ATH-M50x, ATH-AD700X, etc, can anyone who wears glasses comment on what is/isn't comfortable?

I've also seen comments on reddit about replacement pads such as these for various models, I dunno if that'd be closer to the style i'm looking for or what but I'm not against trying something like that.

I just purchased the ATH-M50x earlier this week and can confirm they aren't uncomfortable with glasses. I also own the ATH-AD700 and use them as my main gaming headphones, they are super comfortable with glasses. I think my head is on the large side of medium. If you're mainly using the cans for gaming I would probably get the AD700s, the soundstage is massive. If it's more for music I wouldn't recommend them as they're pretty anemic in the bass department. I haven't spent enough time with the M50x yet to give a recommendation, all I know so far is the bass really bumps.

I think you're likely to find that open back headphones will sit a bit looser because isolation isn't a concern the way it is with closed back, so you might even want to look at the regular HD598. That tends to be the go-to open-back headphone recommendation for gaming/general home use.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That worked decently well on my ATH-A700s (the closed back version), I stretched them over my PC case when I wasn't using them.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Okay, I might be looking for a unicorn here. I want an over-ear, USB headset that is comfortable to wear for long periods, has great voice quality, wide soundstage for gaming, good enough sound quality to listen to music, and easily accessible physical controls for muting. I have a desktop PC and a work laptop that both connect to my monitor, I want to plug the headset into the USB hub on the monitor and use it for gaming and music on the PC, and then seamlessly switch over to music or conference calls when I'm working on the laptop. Something like the Sennheiser Game One seems almost like what I want, except it connects via 3.5mm instead of USB. Currently using the Audio-Technica A700s at my desk so something that approaches them in terms of comfort and sound quality would be great, but again, I know I might be looking for a product that doesn't exist here. Any suggestions?

Edit: Or maybe I should just buy this? https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-Sound-Cards-Xonar-Uad/dp/B004ZI5E1S

prom candy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 21, 2017

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I already have a zalman so no issue there. It'd be nice to have a hardware mute button on the headset itself but I can live without it. I went ahead and ordered the Xonar, thanks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
In audio I would assume "tone" is the word they're going for there.

I bought that Xonar USB sound card from upthread, it has horrible white noise when plugged into the USB ports on my monitor. Any suggestions? Googling doesn't bring up much.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I want to use the USB ports on my monitor because then it's easy to switch back and forth between my PC and my Macbook. I ended up digging up my FastTrack Pro and plugging that in instead, seems to work. Also means I can use a way-to-good mic for gaming and conference calls.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
[quote="“underage at the vape shop”" post="“477071001”"]
What are the recomended headphones for gaming and general use now? I’m still using my old ad700’s.
[/quote]

I switched from my A700s to my ATH-M50X for gaming this week. Lost some soundstage but I can actually hear footsteps in PUBG without cranking the master volume way up.

I think the HD598s are still a mainstay for gaming as well.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

underage at the vape shop posted:

I strongly dislike the m50 unfortunately, my ears dont fit and they clamp hard. The biggest thing I love about the ad700 is the comfort

I wouldn't say I strongly dislike them but I definitely hear you. Thinking about getting some HD598s so I can swap back and forth... assuming they can both use the same cable. Anyone know?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Constellation I posted:

Yeah, for some reason the HD598's and the M50X (make sure you're getting the X version which has the detachable cable) uses the same proprietary 2.5mm cable end that has a locking mechanism.

Awesome, yeah I already have the M50x so maybe I'll sell my AD700s and get some 598s. The AD700s having a 50' non-detachable cord is pretty annoying.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looking for IEMs that are durable and have a mic/iPhone controls for my wife. Sound quality and isolation are not super important as she mostly just listens to podcasts. Wide selection of included tips (foam and rubber ideally) and good build quality are more important. It would also be nice if they had an I-shaped adapter rather than L-shaped as the L-shaped with the lightning dongle is kind of gross, but not a big deal. Comfort is also a big factor, I don't think she'd go with the SE215s since they wrap around the ear (I had those for a while and hated it.) I would just get her some AirPods but she finds EarPods super uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Back again and buying more headphones. Looking for some Bluetooth headphones for walking the dog, doing yard work, chores around the house, etc. These will be used for podcasts the vast majority of the time so great sound quality isn't important but "not poo poo" would be good. I'm having trouble finding something that ticks these boxes though:

- not too isolating
- nothing that wraps behind my ear because I wear glasses
- not neck-band style because I need a scarf outside in the winter
- water resistant enough to wear in rain and snow

Some of the on-ear or over-ear ones could work because I don't mind just listening to one channel, but they don't tend to be waterproof. Another option is maybe AirPods? They're small enough to fit under a hood or a hat, but I'm kinda worried about losing them. The Jaybird X3s look decent but the proprietary charging thing makes me think they'll end up in a drawer somewhere after I lose the piece and they stop making it.

Any other suggestions? Budget is whatever.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is it worth waiting for AirPod 2 or is that just a rumour? Backbeat Fit look great except I don't like having anything that goes around my ear with my glasses.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have that 2.5mm mic and it's been good. I've only had it since April. I've also heard bad things but it's not that expensive.

I want to mod a 3.5mm jack into my AD700s and switch back to those, they're so god drat comfortable.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I tried to switch to over-ears at my old job but I found they didn't drown the sound out as much as IEMs unless I cranked the volume. Have you considered brightly coloured IEMs?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thinking about getting some wireless headphones, mainly for listening to podcasts while I walk the dog or do chores around the house. My wife has the Bose soundlinks and I borrow them a lot but when I'm wearing a hat + glasses they get uncomfortable.

Airpods seem like an obvious answer but I don't like the lack of neck strap and physical buttons. In the winter I wear gloves and a long coat so reaching into my pocket to change volume is a pain. The other ones I was looking at are beatsx which seem pretty perfect except I don't actually want all that much noise isolation. Although I guess I could just leave one out when I'm out walking.

Any recommendations? Budget is whatever, I guess ideally no more expensive than Airpods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

5-HT posted:

powerbeats pro are the new benchmark and are by far the best unit out there. for what you're describing there literally isn't anything better atm, market needs to catch up still.

the Advanced Evo-X or the jbl endurance sprint if you feel you truly need a wire back there (re: you don't). advanced evo-x is the best for semi-wired, but the endurance run is a good alternative if not that. evo-x actually destroys many mid-tier iems in so far as frequency response and tonality which is why Iove them so much, but they're getting harder and harder to find.

Yeah the powerbeats pro look great but when I'm wearing a hat and glasses I don't want something that goes around the back of my ear. Same for the other two you listed as well. I won't be using them to run or anything so I don't need the extra in-ear security. The reason I want a wire is so that I can pop one out and just let it dangle if I'm talking to someone.