Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Passburger posted:

I'd say just have it at the highest and forget about it. It's better than fixing it at a lower sample rate and missing out on the quality should you ever hear something higher than itunes/youtube 48kHz.
There's no extra quality to be had from a sample rate above 48kHz as 24kHz is already well beyond the range of human hearing. You could argue that it's better to set it at 44.1 to avoid a resampling step and a potential source of aliasing: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/11/measurements-windows-10-audio-stack.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Homestar Runner posted:

So based on the above amp discussion is the takeaway to essentially roll with an Objective2 (because anything more powerful / expensive than that achieves donuts?)
Magni 3 is probably a better buy than the O2 since it's cheaper as well as more powerful.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

So based on my own digging around I'm leaning towards Beyerdynamic DT 880 32 Ohm for this. Before I pull the trigger is there any reason I'd be better off with something else from these others I've been looking at?:

I'd also consider the HD 598SR as well (also maybe the AKG K702), price is pretty good at the moment.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Imo if you're looking for open (or semi-open) headphones then you don't need to consider entry level closed backs.

The HD58X happens to be currently still available for an open backed alternative in the ~$150 range.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 10, 2018

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The difference in theory is that a lossy encoder might into some (very rare) edge case it can't/won't allocate enough bits to... whereas increasing the bit depth and sample rate beyond CD quality does nothing perceptibly.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Maybe you could measure the SPL from a subjectively volume matched speaker output instead of directly measuring it.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

I drive a BBW posted:

I looked for the Sennheiser hd58x but they don't seem to be in stock on Amazon right now. Is there a newer model out?
It's a drop (massdrop) exclusive

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Hifiman have a new $300 open BT model too, where bluetooth is handled by a detachable module: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/deva.html

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

To clarify, I was wondering if my headphones or speakers need a DAC at all?
If they already sound acceptable then probably not? But some motherboard outputs...

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/gigabyte-z390-aorus-motherboard-audio-review.13083/ though he doesn't regularly test motherboard audio.

Shame about the output impedance because the other metrics are at least acceptable.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Demon_Corsair posted:

Sennheiser HD 650 - This is definitely a stretch price wise, and may not be that great for gaming anyway?
Might as well point out the HD 6XX exists (same headphones but cheaper) as well as the HD 58X (different but even cheaper).

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Sennheiser 559, 579 and 599.

But also consider the 58X (it's better) and 560S (new, but supposedly a class above as well).

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Pegnose Pete posted:

Also looks like the Topping E30 is about 150, I'm assuming that's more in like with the Fiio K3 power wise?
The E30 is just a DAC, the L30 is the amp that's supposed to pair with it.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Your phone if it has a headphone jack. If not, a USB-C dongle (Samsung or Apple. Meizu also has one that measures well)

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

The e10k on low gain mode would make your ears bleed at volume 4, this one is almost all the way up on high gain and it's fine like this, but feels like I don't have a lot of leeway. Are you getting the same? Did I miss a configuration somewhere?
This probably doesn't account for all of it, but the rated power output for the K3 is 120mW at 32 Ohms to the E10K's 200mW. ASR measured it at ~108mW, still only a 3dB difference though...

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 23, 2021

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

So my HD598s have given up the ghost finally, one of my speakers have blown out and I've had them for 5 plus years, grabbing them for cheap on Black Friday one year, Anything similiar to 598s reccomended nowadays? In retrosepct I got the 598s for 99$ on Amazon during Black Friday so around that pricepoint would be ideal.
560S or 58X, a bit more expensive but they're direct upgrades to the 598s.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Elentor posted:

Ah that sucks. I'm also having a lot of trouble finding an amp for anything above 64 ohms here in Brazil, the cheapest dac costs an outrageous amount of money and just doesn't seem worth it.
I think it probably isn't worth it, especially if you're stretching your budget to get one.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Linking to r/audiophile is probably not gonna convince anyone who doesn't already believe in "perceptible-but-unmeasurable" differences between DACs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

repiv posted:

there are devices that take digital input and relay it to LDAC like the fiio BTA30 but i'm not aware of any that combine that functionality with a wired headphone driver
A phone with a headphone jack