Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I might have the opportunity to pick out some headphones for free for myself from work. Here's the criteria from the OP:

Budget: $300 (from amazon before tax)
Source: Plugged into computer, phone. Could get an amp for when I have them plugged into my desktop but that's usually just when I'm gaming.
Isolation: Don't need noise canceling
Type: I like circumaural but could do supa-aural if they don't press on my ears too hard for hours.
Tone: Not really sure.
Past: I currently have Brainwavz HM5 coming from the first Bose Triport. HM5 have been great and I don't need new headphones but if I can upgrade to a $300 headphone for free, I will.
Use: Metal makes up about 95% of my music listening. I also use headphones for gaming with friends when I have an open mic on Skype. This includes Dota, Diablo, some shooters.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

I had the chance to listen to some V-Moda M-100's the other day in Brookstone and thought they sounded great with metal. A little bass- heavy, but not a muddy bass. They're a touch over budget-especially if you buy the mic-but may be worth considering.

I'm trying to justify the cost to get some to replace my Astro A40's. (I can't justify the cost yet: the A40's are very nice. )

Oh these say metal right in the name on Amazon. They are $299 there without the little flexy mic. I'll have to look into them more.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I see they're on the Wall of Fame on InnerFidelity. I also see the NAD Viso HP50 there.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Midorka posted:

Perhaps the Sennheiser Momentum over ear?

Saw these too on that Inner Fidelity site, but he said the NAD VISO HP50 beats them on everything. I think I'll have to decide between those and the V-Moda Crossfade M-100s.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
A question for those of you with expensive headphones. Do you listen to lossless music or does it not really matter? I'm curious with everything moving to streaming. I just have my library on Google Music so I have that on my phone or laptop at work. Then I'll listen to youtube albums or sometimes Spotify.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Storage is so cheap that I just obtain all my music in flac and then convert to MP3 for my phone, etc. Never know what will come around the corner for listening in the future and my collection is so big I would never go through the trouble of getting it all twice.

drat I never thought about this future codec aspect.

I was just curious when I asked. I have my music in V0, but like I said I normally just listen to it all on Google Music. Does anyone know what I'm listening to? I'm sure they do something to my V0 before it hits my ears.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Are there good wireless headphones to use while lifting? From lifters I've heard these are popular, but I'd like the general audiophile opinion as well http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S11-Flex-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009M27MB2

And I suppose this could be extended to IEMs that are pretty secure in the ear.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 16, 2014

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Are there good wireless headphones to use while lifting? From lifters I've heard these are popular, but I'd like the general audiophile opinion as well http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S11-Flex-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009M27MB2

Reposting this.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Reposting this.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Maybe not the place for this, but any ideas are appreciated. I have a headphone and a mic jack on the front of my pc. I have headphones with an in-line mic on them and there are separate 3mm plugs for each at the end after going into a Y-split. I want to keep my USB desktop mic in (I can always turn it off) as well as my speakers (without sound of course) and then just plug the headset in the front.

Problem is that my ASUS Realtek HD Audio Manager that opens when I plug something into the front doesn't let me select both. In fact I can't get the mic or headphones to work when plugged in separately using this split cable. They work if I get down and plug them in behind the pc but then I have to unplug the speakers too. With just a normal headphone cable, sound will work.

edit: I seemed to fix it by changing the Recording Device to 'Separate all input jacks as independent input devices'

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 15, 2016

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Was reading through this https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/66x9c0/guide_headphones_gaming/ and wanted to get the Sennheiser 598 (or 599) for gaming. I already have a V-Moda boom mic I use with my current headphones, but it sounds like the 598s don't support that? What do people use if these are pretty common for games?

I work for Best Buy so I'd like to use my discount, but I think the 598s are the only ones on this list we sell.

Also, the boom mic has two 3.5mm plugs on the end, one for mic and one for audio. I guess people have another solution for console (PS4) gaming?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks for advice. Another thing, I don't really know about DACs and amps. I have some audio engine speakers. Would there be something that both the two plugs for the boom mic and the speakers could plug into for my PC?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Has anyone done for the mod for Sennheiser 558/598/599s that lets you plug in a 3.5mm boom mic? I've heard that the consistency of the setup can be bad due to the cheap 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter used, but I also see a lot of quality control issues in the 2.5mm mic everyone seems to recommend https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Universal-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Headphone/dp/B01IRCXC9S#customerReviews

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

prom candy posted:

I have that 2.5mm mic and it's been good. I've only had it since April. I've also heard bad things but it's not that expensive.

I want to mod a 3.5mm jack into my AD700s and switch back to those, they're so god drat comfortable.

It's relatively more expensive since I already have a VModa boom mic I could use. The modmic is twice the price but maybe that's worth it if this other one is iffy.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I have Senn 599s, with an in-line boom mic, and Audioengine A2+ hooked up to my PC (on board audio). Should I be considering a DAC or amp? I don't really know the difference there.

Also do people with desk mics like a Yeti use open mic in Discord/gaming? Do people hear your mechanical keyboards? I have cherry red switches.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

DAC, for sure.

Amps make high-end gear better (well, at least louder) but they require every analog component to be high quality to be any use.

Most separate DACs have a decent amp already in them.

The reason why separate DACs are good is because you need space to create sound properly. Of course they usually also have better components than poo poo like onboard audio, but a very large part of the difference is the extra space, separated from all the other components that you need to build a system that delivers high-quality audio. Amps just make sure the audio is on the right level to drive the gear properly - they're amplifiers. Digital Analog Converters convert a digital signal (almost always over USB) into an analog signal and analog signals are very sensitive to interference from other electronics around them.

Also I use push-to-talk, desk mic + mechanical keyboard is hell otherwise.

To clarify, I was wondering if my headphones or speakers need a DAC at all?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I have an MSI B450-A Pro if that helps.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Sorry that it looks like my question led to some bickering which actually looks to have been caused by confusion.

Anyway, seems like there are opinions both ways saying that mobo audio is fine but maybe it's not. Obviously not cut and dry like some headphones are. (higher ohms, I believe?)

One thing I'm learning is that it sounds like I should be using USB to connect my A2+ to my computer and not the audio cable.

You're correct in that I have an in-line mic for the HD599s so whatever the headphones plug in to would need a mic in port.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Is there a recommended microphone for discord? I have Sennheiser HD599s which have the 2.5mm jack so I can't use my old VModa boommic and the last 2.5mm headset mic I bought broke.

I've heard some things about the Mod Mic https://smile.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-Attachable-Noise-Cancelling-Playstation/dp/B07YN25KWN There's a USB one that's $15 more. This would go in the front of my case.

Keeping it off the desk would be nice and wouldn't something like a Blue Yeti pick up my keyboard? I have Cherry Reds so not too loud, but still.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

Do you push to talk? I bought a Shure mic similar to the yeti I like. Nice for when I want to play with speakers. Have to use push to talk though, which is fine since I've got a lot of background noise anyway.

No, open mic only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Any go to true wireless earbuds for under $50 to use at the gym? Thought I might switch from my regular wireless ones. I've always went with the recommended $20-30 ones for those so unless there's a really noticeable sound difference from $50 to $100 I'll probably just stay on the budget side. It does end up being the only time I listen to music most days so maybe it's worth it.