Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Getting in on IEM chat while it's hot..

Budget - ~$50aud
Source - Samsung Galaxy s5 or Ipod Touch
Isolation Requirements - I would prefer it, yes please.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'd like a fair bass response, and as little muddiness on the mids as possible, but I know that my price bracket wont get me far.
Past Headphones - Creative EP-630 (they came with my X-fi 2, and they were loving awesome)
Preferred Music - Heavy metal, rock, ambient electronica (some sub-bass is involved)

Just a note. I loved the hell out of my EP-630s The sound quality wasn't fantastic on the mid and treble, but they were really decent for bass, and they lasted 6 years of daily use. I'm really just considering getting another pair, but I figure I'd pop in here and ask you folks first, in case you had a better suggestion. I did run through the thread, but a lot of the model numbers people are chucking out are just going over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I found this link comparing a few different IEMs for around the same price. Any thoughts? I don't know if that site is any good, but it seems okay.

Just as an aside, could someone explain what the deal with speaker diaphragm is, if a bigger or smaller one is better for sound quality and, more importantly, whether its of any importance to non-audiophiles.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Thank you both grack and Dancing Shade for your suggestions, I really appreciate you offering me advice and alternatives.

Although the Tennmak Crazy Cello are comparable to what I had originally, I think I will still get a replacement set of EC-630s. They are still considerably cheaper ($30AUD off ebay vs $90), and I'm comfortable with them having lasted several years of regular use so it's a case of going with what I know.

Although I might upgrade to the Creative hitz MA500, since they are the same IEMs with a remote and microphone, so I can use them with my phone and ditch my Ipod entirely.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

So to continue the noise-cancellation chat from last page, I'm seeking noise cancelling IEMs, I'll post the thing so you get an idea

Budget - Not really paying for them but keep it under like $400aud.
Source - Smartphones (S10, S21), laptop
Isolation Requirements - Absofuckinglutely
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like to feel bass, but I also appreciate clarity of sound not just muddy bass everywhere.
Past Headphones - Corsair HS70 Pro wireless for my laptop, like 3 sets of Creative Ep-630 and Samsung Galaxy Buds (original ones, not + or 2)
Preferred Music - Everything from metal, rock, synthwave, blues, prog rock and metal, classical, industrial, etc etc. Some bands include tool, slipknot, powerman 5000, dream theater and mike oldfield.

Ok. So.

I need noise cancellation to decrease the amount of outside noise so I dont keep suffering sensory overload. I am autistic and get triggered by sound (yeah, yeah, I know, goons and autism), and use music as a way to cope with it WHENEVER I'm outside (again yes, I know, goons and outside).

I also need IEMs that sound the best they can. I like to feel bass (that's why I've been through multiple sets of ep-630s, and I'm only ditching them because my new phone doesnt have a 3.5mm jack)

I also have weird earhole sizes. The biggest rubber pads on the galaxy buds is too big but the medium ones are too small, so options would be nice for those. If you can think of some after market stuff that fit then I'm open to that too, because I need them to not fall out when I'm walking or bike riding. This also means durability would be nice too.

Right now I'm looking between Sony WF-1000XM4 and Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2.

I can't get a straight answer out of review sites. Some say the sennheisers are better, others say the sony ones are. From what I can gather, the WF's are better at ANC, the momentums for sound quality.

If you folks have a better suggestion, I'm open to them.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

DancingShade posted:

I have a pair of Bose Quietcomfort earbuds and the noise cancellation is magical. They pair happily with a phone or laptop and handle anything I throw at them well.

Yes they sound pretty great too. No lack of bass nor do they sound muddy. One handy little feature is turning the external sound to maximum (not your volume) and listening to people talking in another room down a hallway, if you're into that sort of thing.

I realise the naming of their products is pretty generic. To be clear I'm talking about these https://www.bose.com.au/en_au/products/headphones/earbuds/quietcomfort-earbuds.html#v=qc_earbuds_black

How are they for active stability like walking / jogging etc?

Wheeee posted:

Sennheiser’s wireless IEMs and IEMs in general tbh, outside of the HD5X0, HD6X0, and HD800 series Sennheiser kinda sucks are mediocre and not worth considering.

The Sonys have the best ANC on the market and sound quality on par with the best; the stock tuning on them is quite dark but the Sony app has a set of EQ presets along with manually adjustable EQ which saves to the buds themselves so your EQ setting will ‘stick’ between devices.

Their previous gen XM3 had awesome sound quality, I didn’t keep them because I love my cheapo Galaxy Buds but if I were in the market for TWS IEMs with an emphasis on ANC I’d probably splurge on the XM4.

Given your stated preferences I doubt you’d be disappointed, just order from Amazon or Costco for easy returns on earphones in general imo

This guy is generally pretty consistent and has well reasoned opinions based on a lot of experience if you want a review breakdown from a source that’s not bullshit like whathifi

https://youtu.be/Lvw9UteT2XA

Oof. Okay. I guess I've been biased for a while that "sennheiser = good" but it's good to learn these things BEFORE buying, so I appreciate that.

That review is pretty comprehensive, I just wish they'd compared it to the sennheisers for a direct comparison, but still it helps.