Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I'm looking for recommendations for home theater style wireless headphones where I can have multiple headsets listening to a single transmitter and easily switch headsets from one transmitter to another. At minimum what I'd like is for my girlfriend and I to be able to watch a movie on my projector late at night without disturbing my housemate who goes to bed early, then take those same headsets and go to watch TV in my bedroom.

In my ideal world I could have at least four headsets that could all connect to any of four transmitters around my house (adding my gaming PC and office PC to the lineup) but two and two would be enough to be interesting.

Is something like this even a thing? I have some more specific preferences if this is a category I'm just having trouble searching for, but at the moment I'm just looking to see if there are even options or if this is something I'd have to rig up myself to get close to my ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KozmoNaut posted:

Nope, it's bullshit.

If you can't tell the difference between CD and MP3 (LAME -V0), you sure as hell can't tell the difference between CD and "hi-res".

It's my understanding that the Tidal poo poo is higher sample rate or bit depth. The losses caused by lossy compression (even at high bitrates) are different from what increasing those could theoretically offer.

I'm still not entirely convinced that 24/96 or 24/192 audio is actually worthwhile in any way to anyone but animals that can hear the higher frequencies, but if they are then Tidal MQA vs. CD is an entirely different comparison to CD vs. high-quality lossy compression.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Clark Nova posted:

I donít think Bluetooth 5 adds anything over 4 for audio use
AFAIK the Bluetooth LE Audio capabilities announced a few months ago should at least theoretically be something that could be added to Bluetooth 5 devices via a software/firmware update.

Obviously don't count your chickens and such, but LE Audio looks like it could be a big deal.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Beyers have plenty of room for one, I don't know why they don't just make them like that.
Probably either to market to the "audiophile" types who insist they can hear the difference that additional connector makes in the signal or because someone in a decision making position is one of those types.

The only other reason I could think of would be cost, but that doesn't really make sense beyond the low double digit price tier.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cardiovorax posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.1_surround_sound
It's a type of eight-channel surround sound system with directional audio output and essentially physically impossible for a headphone to properly reproduce. When a headphone manufacturer tries to tell you that their headphones can do 7.1 surround sound, they are lying to you. The next best thing they can do is to simulate it with positioning sensors and software.

There are a few games that don't properly handle spatial audio in headphones but work with a "surround" system. PUBG was this way when I last played for example. A "7.1" headset used to be a useful workaround to these problems.

Now for the last few years Windows 10 has this feature built in, it's called Windows Sonic. Enable that and any set of headphones has virtual surround.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cardiovorax posted:

But yeah, the "hands-free audio device" for voice chat that it switches to is universally awful and I don't know why it exists. It's never a problem on Android or other mobile devices.
My car does the same thing when paired to my phone, if I pick up a call the A2DP session pauses and the call is connected over telephone-quality HSP/HFP instead. Any additional audio coming from the phone at the same time like nav directions or notification sounds gets temporarily routed over this same connection and sounds like poo poo compared to normal operation.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TopHatGenius posted:

My wife is looking for a pair of (preferably wired) headphones that she can wear to bed while sleeping sideways and without causing excessive damage to them. Any recommendations?

Does she care about stereo sound? For years I used an old set of headphones where the band broke, so I trimmed it down to just the speaker parts and jammed them inside my pillow. More recently I got a this pillow speaker: https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PS-300-Speaker-Control-Amplifier/dp/B00BB5WC8Q/ and so far it's been pretty great as a side sleeper. The headband things always looked interesting but I have a history of tossing and turning occasionally so the idea of having a wire connected seemed like a bad idea.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

My reliable beater Monoprice 8323s just snapped the headband, is there anything else in the sub-$50 price range I should consider before just buying another set? The ones that just broke were from late 2014 so for a $18 set of headphones I have zero complaints, and I already have some upgraded ear pads and a ModMic setup for them.

I do eventually intend to get something nice but I love not giving the slightest bit of a gently caress about these when I travel.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Looks nice, seems to fit the ear pads I already have, but I forgot to mention that I strongly prefer the removable cord. I use my current set with a long extension cord when watching movies when my housemates are asleep and I also have a super short cord I sometimes use with my VR headset, on top of the fact that most of my previous headphones have gone through 3-4 cables in their lives.

Not an absolute top concern as it's usually not too hard to mod a socket in, but it would be nice to not have to.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DancingShade posted:

I doubt you'll find a removable cable on a $25 full sized headphone anywhere. Maybe some IEMs.
The 8323s I"m looking to replace have a removable cord and tick all my boxes so my default plan at this point is to get another set.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8323. Looks like they even include a TRRS cable with an inline mic now on top of the base cable.

I'm just asking to see if there's anything meaningfully better while still being cheap enough to toss in a backpack and not care about.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gunder posted:

Edit: Should I be controlling the volume levels via the headphone amp itself, or is it okay to make changes with the media keys on my keyboard? It's slightly more comfortable to do it via the keyboard. For reference, I have the volume set to about 80% in windows, and the amp at around 45%.

In theory for the best quality you want your volume control happening in the analog realm. Doing it digitally (with the PC volume control) means that you're giving up dynamic range the more you turn it down. You may have noticed some devices actually disable their built in volume controls when outputting a digital audio stream over S/PDIF or HDMI, that's partially for exactly this reason (also because digital volume control on Dolby/DTS signals would require decoding and re-encoding).

That said, if you can't tell the difference I wouldn't worry about it. I 100% agree on the convenience/comfort aspect and do the same for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DancingShade posted:

Won't matter for music or most video games, will absolutely matter for video because the audio (including lip synching) won't entirely match up with the visual.

You have this a bit backwards, a video player can delay the video to match it up but any real-time elements in games have no solution and will always be lagged.