Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
I know nothing about headphones and there are so many different models. Help would be amaaazing. :)

Budget: Preferably around £150 ($240) but could stretch higher or even reduce price if it wasn't worth the extra etc. I want the best 'quality of sound' to price to longevity ratio I suppose (don't we all!).
Source: My macbook pro primarily. Also my electric piano/tv and iphone sometimes.
Isolation Requirements: Would be nice, but not necessarily a priority.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-ear ones.
Preferred Tonal Balance: No real preference. I don't really understand what tonal balance means!
Past Headphones: Um.... cheap lovely ones for as long as I can remember. Anything would be an upgrade!
Preferred Music: I listen mostly to boring indy and pop.

I have so far looked at Sennheiser HD558s. I was tempted to fork out for Sennheiser HD 650s but not sure if my untrained ears would appreciate them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

WugLyfe posted:

I wouldn't worry so much about having "untrained" ears. That said, you probably don't want to spend that much to begin with.

The 558s are great headphones, but if you want more options, the audio technica ath-ad700x are about that price, along with the beyerdynamic custom one pro (has four swappable sounds), beyerdynamic DT 990 pros are about that price, V-moda crossfade LP 2 (tough to damage), BRAINWAVZ HM5 if you err towards utility over aesthetics....

There are a lot of options.

As per the "tonal balance" thing, it's a term used for people to equate to frequency response: the overall emphasis of each frequency output by the headphones for a given power (or volume). So really, all that asks is whether you like bassy headphones, headphones that don't emphasize any notes over others, etc. Most consumer headphones shoot what's called an equal loudness contour (ISO standard 226:2003) which tries to mimic what must people perceive as all sounds having equal loudness. However, that means bass is boosted, as well as sibilant sounds like cymbals.

Which pair would you choose out of interest?

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
Cheers WugLyfe, I really appreciate the advice. Going to go and listen to some of the pairs in a hifi shop at the next opportunity!