Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

victrix posted:

speaking of idle battler roguelites, is Astronarch any good?

I picked it up on a recommendation. It's... competent. I found it easy and kind of shallow though, but I guess there's only so much you can get out of the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Just beat ADOM for the first time with a Dark Elf Archer. Thanks for the advice thread! Raven sign archer is very strong throughout the game. I basically didn't have any close calls once I got through the greater vault in the frost giant caves. I ended up having to burn a wish to get a ring of ice to get through the tower though.

are you me? this is literally my ongoing run except i got the ring of ice from the dwarven mystic

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

The problem is less in unlocks and more having random & unbalanced weapons. A game where everything is unlocked at start would have the same problem.

I don't know if I agree with this. Sure they'll be in the same state once everything is unlocked, but metagames introduces the ability to choose not to unlock the bad items, meaning that these then become trap options that make the game harder, with no real way of knowing that other than game experience.

And since metagames tend to introduce large amounts of grind to reach that spot, you are now in a "start over to increase your chances, keep playing sub-optimally or just stop playing the game" point and none of those are good options to put on players.

Good balance would mitigate it, not solve it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Theswarms posted:

Loop Hero also has an option in the settings to auto-pause on finishing a loop.

This is absolutely fantastic if you are me and keep missing the retreat with 100% of your goods opportunity and end up going into a loop you already know you wont survive.

I've only played with this option on and it's very confusing to me that it's not on by default

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Necromancer is also really bad against groups, I found, since the summons are pretty fragile. My first (and so far only) win on chapter 2 was with a necromancer and removing vampire mansions in favor of road lanterns and that helped a ton to keep the fights manageable.

Necromancer is the strongest of the three classes to such an extent that I felt like using anything else on the later chapters would be a massive handicap. Once you unlock the forest and river tiles you can easily build up enough attack speed that the necro can indefinitely summon skeletons faster than almost anything can kill them because summoning doesn't use the stamina system. Once you've done that some of their defensive talents—the one that splits damage you take with your skeletons and the one that heals you every time a skeleton dies in particular—become so strong that you can ignore defensive stats entirely and just gear to make your skeletons as strong as possible.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Wallet posted:

Necromancer is the strongest of the three classes to such an extent that I felt like using anything else on the later chapters would be a massive handicap. Once you unlock the forest and river tiles you can easily build up enough attack speed that the necro can indefinitely summon skeletons faster than almost anything can kill them because summoning doesn't use the stamina system. Once you've done that some of their defensive talents—the one that splits damage you take with your skeletons and the one that heals you every time a skeleton dies in particular—become so strong that you can ignore defensive stats entirely and just gear to make your skeletons as strong as possible.
Covering the world in an army of undead abominations, there is no other way. Not exactly RL obviously, but it reminds me of Necropolis skeleton and zombie deathstacks in Heroes of Might and Magic III.

Which roguelikes have the coolest necromancers?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

man I ain't thought about Monolith in a while, now I got Thought Soup stuck in my head again :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uItvy6__G9s

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

fart simpson posted:

btw thanks a lot for this it worked. i only lost about an hour of the game now. i feel more relieved than when rush limbaugh died.

thank goodness, i was gonna come here to advise checking the .baks.

glad the only time wasted was the time spent playing the first time :D

editting loop hero's ini made it good but I still feel after a few hours im not sure I get it. Plus I think the meadow/mountain thing got old in the first two runs, there's no more dynamic interaction there is there? Oh well, I do like the deck customization stuff, feels like there's a lot to dig into there. Trying to play a minimum size deck

edit: whoa high res fonts was so needed, holy crap that's a visual 900% improvement.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 6, 2021

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Pladdicus posted:

edit: whoa high res fonts was so needed, holy crap that's a visual 900% improvement.

I really hate it when devs try to use a font with character because the result is always difficult to read bullshit. Loop Hero and Amid Evil are both guilty of this, but at least they both offer less crappy options. I just wish devs would wise up and STOP IT.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

drat that is some impressive numbers!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If anyone, like me, was wondering what the gently caress the Source 2013 SDK Multiplayer thing is - it's actually Roleplaying mod for GTAV.

It's a crazy world out there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jeza posted:

If anyone, like me, was wondering what the gently caress the Source 2013 SDK Multiplayer thing is - it's actually Roleplaying mod for GTAV.

It's a crazy world out there.
Yeah last time I saw that I clicked it and HL2:Death match came up, so I was thinking that drat, I must have missed the latest trend or something.

Googling at least shed some light on it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Wallet posted:

Few things: summoning uses stamina. edit: Goddamn no it doesn't wtc!
It's also bugged in some way, as occasionally my necro's get hit with a permanent atk speed debuff that mimics the stamina drain one, except the bar isn't orange and he doesn't suffer -50% evasion.
Two: that build is VERY dependent on RNG to get those levelups. 3rd boss in particular will give zero shits and one-shot you try to glass cannon and fail to get the perfect setup.

But I do agree Necro is totally ez mode, he only has 3 stats to worry about and can often get 1.5-2.5 of them maxed.

edit: do we have a loop hero thread? I wanna talk about this more but it's cluttering up the RL talk.
Also not a RL, but Diablo2 had the best Necro hands down, it's like the gold standard

Serephina fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 7, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Serephina posted:

It's also bugged in some way, as occasionally my necro's get hit with a permanent atk speed debuff that mimics the stamina drain one, except the bar isn't orange and he doesn't suffer -50% evasion.
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about that's not a bug—when all of your skelemans slots are full you attack regularly for gently caress-all damage, which does use stamina.

Serephina posted:

Two: that build is VERY dependent on RNG to get those levelups. 3rd boss in particular will give zero shits and one-shot you try to glass cannon and fail to get the perfect setup.

Suburbs will get you enough levels that you should be fine, but the 3rd boss is cake as long as you have 4+ max skeletons (which is enough that his little friends are rarely able to attack). The 4th boss is the one that's stupidly RNG dependent but that applies to every class. The design of the fourth boss is so bad that it almost ruined the game for me, unfortunately.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 7, 2021

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Jack Trades posted:

The game needs an x4 or even x8 speed setting badly.

I agree a 4x would be splendid

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Wallet posted:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about that's not a bug—when all of your skelemans slots are full you attack regularly for gently caress-all damage, which does use stamina.

Suburbs will get you enough levels that you should be fine, but the 3rd boss is cake as long as you have 4+ max skeletons (which is enough that his little friends are rarely able to attack). The 4th boss is the one that's stupidly RNG dependent but that applies to every class. The design of the fourth boss is so bad that it almost ruined the game for me, unfortunately.

Just beat the final boss thanks to aforementioned broken Necro build. That boss' gimmick is terrifying!

All in all I think Loop Hero really sells itself on grind, when it's totally unnecessary. I'm pretty sure the whole crafting/supplies mechanic was negligible, and the metaprogression could have simply been "every time you win, pick 2 buildings to make". There's actually less grind than I think the devs was gearing up for? Which is very weird.

re: necro atk speed, nah it was definitely some weird bug (there's a few, especially regarding scarecrows) rather than him doing a slap.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

cheeseboy58 posted:

I agree a 4x would be splendid

You can just edit one of the ini files to double the game speed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Thirsty Dog posted:

Be aware that this breaks parts of the game. Treasuries no longer give out rewards, for example.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Be aware that this breaks parts of the game. Treasuries no longer give out rewards, for example.

Set it to x1 before placing the 9th tile and it works

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

victrix posted:

Set it to x1 before placing the 9th tile and it works
Sure, just have to remember to do it every time. Also, it might be breaking other parts that aren't as noticeable.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Setting hotkeys to speeds in cheat engine works well also and doesn't break anything. I just alt+c/v for 1x/20x on demand.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Serephina posted:

Just beat the final boss thanks to aforementioned broken Necro build. That boss' gimmick is terrifying!

I thought it was awful, personally. The first time I fought him the first stat he ate was my loving skeleton level which rather seemed like a heaping helping of bullshit. I did enjoy the game on the whole though.

Serephina posted:

All in all I think Loop Hero really sells itself on grind, when it's totally unnecessary. I'm pretty sure the whole crafting/supplies mechanic was negligible, and the metaprogression could have simply been "every time you win, pick 2 buildings to make". There's actually less grind than I think the devs was gearing up for? Which is very weird.

It's less grindy than it seemed like it would be. To really make use of the crafting stuff it seems like you would have to grind an insane amount though the alchemist does help somewhat.

The best part was discovering the weird interactions and poo poo between the tiles. I was initially annoyed that even unlocking everything in the encyclopedia doesn't tell you what they are but then I realized that it would a lot of the fun out of it.

I kind of wish there was a challenging endless mode or something because there's some weird stuff in there that isn't even close to necessary to beat the game but could be fun. I wasn't 100% able to confirm what causes it and I was ready to be done so I didn't do a lot of testing, but some mixture of battlefields and, I think, abandoned bookeries seems to raise the chance for ghosts to respawn as ghosts to 100% which means you consistently get Prime Matter. Prime matter always drops 3 cards that are pulled from the entire card pool or 1 gold card.

I never managed to get more than one Arsenal out but I did get three Ancestral Crypts one run. Even having beaten the game there are equipment slots with cracks on them that I never made use of and I have to assume that's how they get unlocked

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 7, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's room for a fourth class on the chapter/character select screen, so I am guessing that the cracked equipment slots are for that class, which is probably not implemented yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Broken Cog posted:

There's room for a fourth class on the chapter/character select screen, so I am guessing that the cracked equipment slots are for that class, which is probably not implemented yet.

The locked slots are a quiver and a belt, which has led to much spculation that the fourth class is a Ranger.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What is this necro build I'm not finding? I'm trying to find the optimal balance of summon level, quality and number and I have no idea. Is it because I don't have rivers yet?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea it's basically rivers+forests which makes necro good, and getting the two perks of "share hero damage with skeletons" and "every time a skeleton dies, heal" makes you functionally immortal. Once you get enough +atk speed, I find you get a lot of leeway on skelly levels and can have fun with the other tools. I still sprinkle in mountains since that's the only hole in the build. Well actually, the only hole is the horrible early game of trying to run 3-4 landscape tiles and not being able to generate opposition fast enough, but once that's handled it's pretty smooth sailing.

We really need a Loop Hero thread.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There is one. On this page, even!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I hear river + forest is also key to breaking the rogue, so I'm wondering if that's the real problem. How does it play with warrior?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

I hear river + forest is also key to breaking the rogue, so I'm wondering if that's the real problem. How does it play with warrior?

Probably not as well. Warriors get benefits from fights taking longer, so attack speed isn't as important. And none of the other terrain types synergise well for Warriors either, although they do like Oasis. I can see Warriors being the class that doesn't use River, same as Rogues are the only class that should use Outposts.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The easiest win on Warrior as far as I can tell is pumping up magic damage with burnt forests and vampirism + counter, which still uses rivers and forests even though it doesn't require any of the attack speed boosts from forests.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

The easiest win on Warrior as far as I can tell is pumping up magic damage with burnt forests and vampirism + counter, which still uses rivers and forests even though it doesn't require any of the attack speed boosts from forests.

If Rivers double the magic damage then it's used for that instead.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Attack speed has diminishing returns (mainly against bosses) for warrior and rogue because of the stamina system, so from my experience a mix of burned forests and thickets works best.

Gave me an easy win with both at least. Lategame war and rogue plays very similarly.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 8, 2021

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Thirsty Dog posted:

Ooo ty

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Does anyone have a list of the effects of the mutators for the daily challenges in Curse of the Dead Gods? They're not well-explained in-game and I'm not having any luck with google. In particular I'm having some trouble with the one where the game tells you stick to your torch and you take damage while in darkness. Which is well and good except the torch damage is anemic and I can't see any braziers anywhere to light so I think I just have to fight in the dark and take the dot? There's something about a fulminating temple in the description which as far as I can tell means I got a lovely pbaoe that goes off every now and then with a slight pushback effect and some more anemic damage.

e: Okay immediately after posting I came across my first brazier, guess I was just unlucky in the first couple of rooms. Also enemies blow up when they die which is cool I guess

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 9, 2021

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Is this the thread I saw Fell Seal recommended in? Is it good? I'm hankering for a good tactical RPG-esque game right now.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beamed posted:

Is this the thread I saw Fell Seal recommended in? Is it good? I'm hankering for a good tactical RPG-esque game right now.

Fell Seal is an absolute love letter to Final Fantasy Tactics, if you like FFT you'll like Fell Seal.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Beamed posted:

I found it to be a very shallow knockoff of FFT that didn't execute any of the ideas it had.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
call me shallow but i found it hideously ugly, the characters obnoxious, and the particular way they implemented the camera/perspective made it hard to navigate without constantly rotating the map. it could be a better strategy game than FFT in every way but I don't think i could make myself stick with it long enough to find out

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Beamed posted:

If you like FFT and way lower your expectations for story and characters, it's a fine game. The classes are pretty fun and the unique classes aren't broken. I thought the game was a bit overlong, but I settled into my dream team pretty early on.

Note that the DLC is designed to be used with a new game. It adds a few new systems and classes that are meant to be used throughout the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, I feel it succeeded mechanically on FFT in every way while still being clearly a ripoff. The characters ranged from boring to decent in places, the story had a good setting but didn't really grab me, the in-fight animations were sincerely lacking in most respects, and the prose... well, it isn't fair to compare to either official translation of FFT, both of which were fantastic, but it's Fine I Guess.

That being said, these are all the problems I have with the game, and mechanically it's extremely solid, with a lot of interesting classes and monsters and lets you use a team of custom fighters or story characters, and I was satisfied with it for that. The most disappointing thing was, again, the battle animations, because I feel they could have gotten a lot of that FFT feel with judicious use of slow->quick movement and good sound effects (those times when an attack sets up, then takes like three frames to execute and goes SCHWEETCHR, you know the stuff), maybe some of those times when the game freezes for a frame or two when a big hit comes it, I forget the name of it but I'm climbing in bed right now, this all got out of hand, but it's a legit good game if definitely flawed, and it confines the flaws to the aesthetic, which may be a big deal or not much of one depending on personal tastes.