Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Play posted:

The cards seem well-balanced and interesting enough, with a hero-switching and positional mechanic that is unique or else I've never seen anything exactly like it.

It's just the mechanic from Darkest Dungeon or Iratus, except using a deck of cards instead of fixed abilities. The only thing I'd call different about it is that your heroes share a block pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Jedit posted:

It's just the mechanic from Darkest Dungeon or Iratus, except using a deck of cards instead of fixed abilities. The only thing I'd call different about it is that your heroes share a block pool.

There are many cards that play off of the switch, combo cards that get cheaper after you switch, allies who do certain actions if the hero in front or back is playing a card, relics that act differently based upon position, etc. Taking a mechanic from a different type of game and bringing it to a deckbuilder is about as much originality as one can expect these days lol

Compare that to ... well I can't even remember their names but I played at least three different roguelike deck builders in the last half year that didn't even have that much originality to them. And worse art besides. Anyways, check it out if you like games like that

Play fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 17, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Because if someone makes a rogue-rear end roguelike, where a giant serpent occupies 3 tiles or a troll 4 tiles, it will suddenly not be a roguelike!

This definition is rubbish anyway since Nethack has a multi-tile monster :corsair:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Play posted:

Honestly that means less than nothing to me but it featured heavily in the advertising so I figured to include it. He's some guy, yeah he made a card game but for me there's no evidence that he can make a game better than someone whose name you've never heard (conveniently enough, I HAD never heard his name before looking up the game).

Although there is an interview here: https://epicstream.com/news/JakeVyper/Magic-The-Gathering-Creator-Richard-Garfield-Reveals-Details-About-Roguebook-Game which seems to suggest that he designed or conceived of at least some of the unique mechanics in the game. Which makes sense because you have to have a good grasp of card game mechanics to be involved in something like M:TG.

Either way at the end of the day the only important factor is that the game turned out good, better than a lot of the copycat roguelike deckbuilders I've tried out in the last year or so anyways. The only unique mechanics are how the overworld is handled as well as some intricacies in the deck system. The specific way the two person party and switching works (and how many cards play off of that mechanic) is something I haven't actually seen before, but yeah they didn't reinvent the wheel (probably to the game's benefit, honestly)

As I said, I wasn't actually slamming the game when I said that. I think the game is great. I just wanted to talk about it since I got burned on the last Garfield game pretty hard and it's made me pretty mad about him just shopping out basic ideas and then loving off. At least this one seems good from the word 'go'.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
One aspect I think that rules about Griftlands is party v party fights. Such a nice little improvement to the dynamics of a fight.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is roguebook really selling the final boss as an $8 dlc? am i misreading that?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Awesome! posted:

is roguebook really selling the final boss as an $8 dlc? am i misreading that?

The wording of Elite Boss makes me think it is an optional challenge fight

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah its like if slay charged you for the heart fight.

at least monster train put their super boss in a whole big expansion. day 1 dlc for a single boss is gross.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Unlucky7 posted:

The wording of Elite Boss makes me think it is an optional challenge fight

...or one of several "final boss" options. Imagine if Time Eater in StS was DLC and never purchasing it as a result

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Played an hour of Roguebook and didn't see anything in there worth playing over Slay the Spire.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

cock hero flux posted:

so I bought the Last Spell. The game is really good, but after playing it for a couple of dozen hours I've come to the conclusion that the game is actually quite easy. The impression of difficulty comes mostly from the fact that your first 2 or 3 runs are guaranteed to unceremoniously crater a few days in because the game has locked 80% of your options behind metaprogression unlocks. Once you've unlocked the ability to actually build defences and production buildings, all that remains is one or two trial runs to figure out which weapons types are the good ones(if you'd like to skip the effort the answer is: shortbows, longbows, and rifles), and then you're pretty much set. I've won 4 runs in a row now on increasingly severe apocalypse modifers and the only one that was difficult was the first one because I still had 2 guys trying to use melee weapons. You can reduce every run to a fairly formulaic setup: first couple of days are for clearing ruins and setting up gold and material generator buildings and house, then you upgrade them and put the Seer up, then you put up the Inn and fill out your roster, then you put up the equipment buildings so that your stuff doesn't suck. And for defences you just start with a basic wall, then you put up some ballistae, then you put up a couple of watchtowers, then you spam a million ballistae, and then you upgrade the wall and maybe throw in some warp gates. And then for the last like, 3 days you have an enormous material surplus so you do something stupid like put up a few hundred damage traps or an entire second row of ballistae.

The ability to build a hundred ballistae is really what makes the game easy. As far as I can tell you're supposed to have to strike a balance between heroes who can tear through the horde quickly and heroes who can pick off the big boys. But with loads of ballistae, you don't have to worry about the trash. So you just give everyone a weapon that's good for sniping the important ones and park them in watchtowers at the appropriate locations.

Agreed the game is quite easy after a few unlocks. The latest patch made it where ballistae can't be dodged making them stupid amazing now. My first day, i usually build all houses I can and clear rubble. If you sell some items, you can usually get max amount of houses. Day 2 is clear more rubble and build a gold mine and upgrade it for 55g. After that it's just gold mines, stone mines, inn and sage and then whatever you feel like after that. Even without building gear buildings, it's still easy as long as you upgrade your inn and get 6 people quickly. Fortified wooden walls are good enough with ballistae behind it. Never had a problem.

My favorite weapons so far are shortbow, dagger, druid staff, and spellbook. Latest patch made it where poisoned enemies inside town that die on new turn no longer cause more panic.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Last Spell definitely loses a lot of its challenge once the later upgrades start rolling in (though there's always the apocalypse modes, even if they only go to 5 before they start repeating), but the core of the game is absolutely rock solid.
Can't wait to see how they expand on it with new maps, modifiers, and challenges.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Jack Trades posted:

Played an hour of Roguebook and didn't see anything in there worth playing over Slay the Spire.

Besides the fact that Slay the Spire is nearly 4 years old and literally everyone has already played it, the reasons I'd give is the better art, better everything-outside-of-battle, and better story, such as it is. I will say that the raw combat of Slay The Spire seems more complex and therefore perhaps a bit better. But mainly I was comparing it to games like Doors of Insanity, Across the Obelisk, Neurodeck, etc. Which I'm not sure if anyone but me played those to begin with lol

I think one reason I like it so much is that the overworld reminds me a lot of Heroes of Might and Magic 3, a game I used to play for hours on a friend's computer since I didn't own any games or consoles back then.

poemdexter posted:

Agreed the game is quite easy after a few unlocks. The latest patch made it where ballistae can't be dodged making them stupid amazing now. My first day, i usually build all houses I can and clear rubble. If you sell some items, you can usually get max amount of houses. Day 2 is clear more rubble and build a gold mine and upgrade it for 55g. After that it's just gold mines, stone mines, inn and sage and then whatever you feel like after that. Even without building gear buildings, it's still easy as long as you upgrade your inn and get 6 people quickly. Fortified wooden walls are good enough with ballistae behind it. Never had a problem.

My favorite weapons so far are shortbow, dagger, druid staff, and spellbook. Latest patch made it where poisoned enemies inside town that die on new turn no longer cause more panic.

Maybe I'll have to check that out again. When I played in early access/demo it was stupid hard and felt like more stress than it was worth.

Play fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 17, 2021

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Broken Cog posted:

Last Spell definitely loses a lot of its challenge once the later upgrades start rolling in (though there's always the apocalypse modes, even if they only go to 5 before they start repeating), but the core of the game is absolutely rock solid.
Can't wait to see how they expand on it with new maps, modifiers, and challenges.

100% agree. I put the game down for now and am just waiting for the final release.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Play posted:

Maybe I'll have to check that out again. When I played in early access/demo it was stupid hard and felt like more stress than it was worth.
Extreme difficulty is the impression that the first couple of runs will give. This is because most of your options are locked behind metaprogress.

In the first run you:
Can't recruit more heroes
Can't repel the Mist
Can't build walls
Can't build scavenger camps or gold mines
Can't build ballistae
Can't build watchtowers
Can't use traps
Can't use half the weapon types
Start with no defences
Have heroes with worse stats and less starting equipment
Have a Magic Circle with about half the maximum health

as a result you are going to get completely overwhelmed basically as soon as the enemies start coming from more than one direction. This is not because the game is hard, but rather because it just doesn't let you do the things you're supposed to do in order to prevent that. After a few runs of watching a hapless trio of poorly armed peasants attempt to defend their bombed out shacks with sticks you'll acquire some unlocks and things will go a lot more smoothly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Play posted:

Besides the fact that Slay the Spire is nearly 4 years old and literally everyone has already played it, the reasons I'd give is the better art, better everything-outside-of-battle, and better story, such as it is. I will say that the raw combat of Slay The Spire seems more complex and therefore perhaps a bit better. But mainly I was comparing it to games like Doors of Insanity, Across the Obelisk, Neurodeck, etc. Which I'm not sure if anyone but me played those to begin with lol

I think one reason I like it so much is that the overworld reminds me a lot of Heroes of Might and Magic 3, a game I used to play for hours on a friend's computer since I didn't own any games or consoles back then.

If it's the overworld exploration you like, then I'm going to throw Arcanium at you again. It's simpler than Roguebook but also more controllable. They're also going to revise it again soon to increase both those aspects, reverting to the original 30-threat meter with free movement through empty nodes and hazard generation to create pathing decisions.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Agreed. I was enjoying it but then immediately turned off as soon as I saw the giant skill tree of unlockable persistent meta-upgrades and mechanics that you need to grind currency for.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Rappaport posted:

This definition is rubbish anyway since Nethack has a multi-tile monster :corsair:

I was gonna say, long worms exist. Maybe they're thinking about it in contrast to D&D, where there are multiple sizes of creatures who take up different amounts of space on the grid. Regardless, I doubt "one tile per monster" is in anybody's list of top Roguelike-defining features.

I like traditional turn-based grid roguelikes and action roguelikes and card battle roguelikes, but they all scratch different itches for me so it kinda sucks they're all lumped together like this. But that ship sailed so long ago it's probably fallen off the edge of our notoriously flat earth by now.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The entire concept of genre is a crutch at best and actively hostile to innovation at worst; not conforming to traditional definitions of “what a [genre] should be” is a positive, not a negative

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
They all scratch the itch of "Every game is different than the last" which is exactly what I want, so I'm fine with them being lumped together. I even like meta progression because it also makes games different than previous games. I love the evolution of the genre. :v:

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Well, fourth run of Roguebook, and I thought I had managed to break the game. Starting hero has a gimmick with daggers - 0 cost, single use cards. Pretty common gimmick, the interesting thing here is that certain cards like this can stack in your hand, an entire stack counts as only one card against your hand limit, and all cards that stack are not discarded at the end of turn. She has a trait you can earn based on cards in deck that gives her 4 daggers at the start of battle, and another trait that summons an extra dagger every time you summon a dagger. Combine them and you get 8 daggers in your hand at the start. Pretty useful, build up some power and 8 daggers can put a hurt on most enemies.

Then I move to the second area and get a card that doubles my daggers in hand. 8 daggers to start + 8 from the card + 8 from the double dagger trait is 24 daggers. The card is only single use per battle, but 24 daggers put the second act boss down very quickly. The first thing I get from the third area though... The game has a card modifier system similar to Monster Train. I received a card modifier that adds two of the modified card to my deck. Obviously I immediately jammed that on my dagger doubling card. Which is functionally a dagger tripling card. And I now have three of them.

I figured at this point, I was going to waltz through the rest of the game. Then I get to a boss that adds +1 cost to every card, and a mountain of 0 cost cards is suddenly a lot less useful. I literally have 207 of them, sitting in my hand. It actually has caused serious lag, the game is just shy of unplayable with this many cards.

I will say that the card modifier/upgrade system from Monster Train was one of my favorite elements, and I am really glad to see something similar in another game.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Played the Demo for Synthetik 2, and as someone who really loved the first game something about this demo just felt really off to me. The way all the large robot enemies died and would leave behind a destructible corpse, except that corpse also had full collision and powerups would be stuck inside it until you destroyed it. I had multiple times they died in a choke point and I had to shoot it again just to break it, and for some reason my default pistol couldn't hit them either so I had to waste ammo on another weapon.

And on the same note the small dog enemies also seemed like my pistol would never hit them, no matter where I aimed, but my rifle had no issues.

The menus were actually awful, and the audio settings did literally nothing. It just comes as a surprise after how fantastic the first one was, they must be changing a ton of stuff on the back end.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cinara posted:

Played the Demo for Synthetik 2, and as someone who really loved the first game something about this demo just felt really off to me. The way all the large robot enemies died and would leave behind a destructible corpse, except that corpse also had full collision and powerups would be stuck inside it until you destroyed it. I had multiple times they died in a choke point and I had to shoot it again just to break it, and for some reason my default pistol couldn't hit them either so I had to waste ammo on another weapon.

And on the same note the small dog enemies also seemed like my pistol would never hit them, no matter where I aimed, but my rifle had no issues.

The menus were actually awful, and the audio settings did literally nothing. It just comes as a surprise after how fantastic the first one was, they must be changing a ton of stuff on the back end.

I thought the alpha footage just came out?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I thought the alpha footage just came out?

The demo just came out today, it's on Steam.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is the Switch version of Slay the Spire matched up to the PC version? I do have the later though I am tempted to get the former to play on console.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the Switch version of Slay the Spire matched up to the PC version? I do have the later though I am tempted to get the former to play on console.

I believe so now, but if it ever gets another update expect to wait months.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

2.2 has now dropped for all formats except iOS, where the walled garden is keeping it out.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New Gunfire Reborn update. It contains :

-a new hero
-reworked talent tree
-2 new weapons
-a new boss for the third area
-a new difficulty (with seven tiers, too, so almost infinite difficulty), that has 2 exclusive npcs
-7 new scrolls
-new vault in third area
-new achievements

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Thanks for posting this, it's fun! I played through the demo and bought the full thing as it's only $7.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

New Gunfire Reborn update. It contains :

-a new hero
-reworked talent tree
-2 new weapons
-a new boss for the third area
-a new difficulty (with seven tiers, too, so almost infinite difficulty), that has 2 exclusive npcs
-7 new scrolls
-new vault in third area
-new achievements

Judging by your posts in the other thread they made it even more grindy? Guess I can free up some disk space!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

Judging by your posts in the other thread they made it even more grindy? Guess I can free up some disk space!

Well, that was a very first impression. I mean, yes, there is more grind to have, but not that much. Just 1-3 runs to unlock the new character, and half a dozen more for the extra talents. And you don't really "need" the extra talents, it all depends on what difficulty you play.
Hell, you have to put in quotes the word 'grind', too, it's grind in the sense it's metaprogression an stuff to unlock, but not in the sense of something boring and trite to do. The game is a blast to play, not a grind, so the unlocks are just something extra for me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gunfire reborn isn't defined by the extra unlocks and you don't 'need' them to play the game. my only beef is just them making character unlocks more spread out than they should be. everything else is whatever and just kinda happens naturally.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

poemdexter posted:

I really can't see how any melee weapon can be viable. A couple of them have really powerful abilities but the issue with all of them is that you need to be outside. If you're outside, then you need to be both well-armoured so that you don't die and mobile so that you can actually get to enemies to kill them. This doesn't work because heavy armour slows you down. At high levels you can get a perk that negates this, but then enemy Archers and Lancers show up. Archers apply a stacking -1 move debuff whenever they hit someone, even if the hit does no damage, so after a couple of turns out there they won't be able to move. Lancers completely ignore armour when they hit you. Both of them attack from range, which means that trying to pick good terrain or stick near barricades doesn't work. All but the most stat blessed heroes will either die or get completely pinned down fighting groups of those.

And if you manage to survive that bullshit you then run into guys who explode when you kill them, guys who apply a stacking penalty to your AP which is even worse, and then finally guys who just straight up stun you. The end result is that if you put the time and effort to kit out the kind of superman turbo tank who can survive outside your reward is a guy who has like 1 move point and 3 AP every turn. Meanwhile, in the watchtower, a guy whose level ups were literally just picking ranged damage over and over again and whose armour set was taken from a goodwill donation bin effortlessly one-shots everything that dares to walk into the 40% of the map that is within his attack range.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Turin Turambar posted:

I think the current OP with Nethack, ADOM, etc already serves that purpose! :)

edit: visiting the OP, made me to see the Berlin interpretation wiki, this point made me roll my eyes:

Because if someone makes a rogue-rear end roguelike, where a giant serpent occupies 3 tiles or a troll 4 tiles, it will suddenly not be a roguelike!

Rappaport posted:

That's not what the Berlin Interpretation is! It's a list of thing that many roguelikes have, or that having makes your game more roguelikey!

"This list can be used to determine how roguelike a game is. Missing some points does not mean the game is not a roguelike. Likewise, possessing some points does not mean the game is a roguelike."

It's even right after that link in the OP!

"During the 2008 IRDC (International Roguelike Development Conference) in Berlin, participants came up with a list of "high value" and "low value" factors that roguelike games would share."

Ack!!!

edit:

John Lee fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 18, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

people think of the berlin interpretation as an inflexible set of commandments etched into stone by a council of elder nerds but it's really more like one particular moment in an eternal nerd argument forever crystallized in amber

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It being referred to as the Berlin Interpretation gives it this hilarious air of authority it wouldn't have if the conference had been in Cleveland.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
some screenwriter is going to stumble across it one day and ignore what it means and use it for a title in a movie

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Strange Aeon posted:

It being referred to as the Berlin Interpretation gives it this hilarious air of authority it wouldn't have if the conference had been in Cleveland.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

cock hero flux posted:

I really can't see how any melee weapon can be viable. A couple of them have really powerful abilities but the issue with all of them is that you need to be outside. If you're outside, then you need to be both well-armoured so that you don't die and mobile so that you can actually get to enemies to kill them. This doesn't work because heavy armour slows you down. At high levels you can get a perk that negates this, but then enemy Archers and Lancers show up. Archers apply a stacking -1 move debuff whenever they hit someone, even if the hit does no damage, so after a couple of turns out there they won't be able to move. Lancers completely ignore armour when they hit you. Both of them attack from range, which means that trying to pick good terrain or stick near barricades doesn't work. All but the most stat blessed heroes will either die or get completely pinned down fighting groups of those.

And if you manage to survive that bullshit you then run into guys who explode when you kill them, guys who apply a stacking penalty to your AP which is even worse, and then finally guys who just straight up stun you. The end result is that if you put the time and effort to kit out the kind of superman turbo tank who can survive outside your reward is a guy who has like 1 move point and 3 AP every turn. Meanwhile, in the watchtower, a guy whose level ups were literally just picking ranged damage over and over again and whose armour set was taken from a goodwill donation bin effortlessly one-shots everything that dares to walk into the 40% of the map that is within his attack range.

Dagger is the exception because it has a ranged multihit ability. With decent mobility you can walk up to an enemy, dagger throw everything around it, then melee it for extra damage and get back behind the walls. I don't play with any of the other melee weapons. AoE is king in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, I liked it because of that, it totally sounds like the Copenhagen interpretation. Then you learn it's a bunch of nerds discussing about the definition of turn based games that look like a software from the 80s...