Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It's not Roguelike Advance Wars, but Gem Wizards Tactics is kinda Roguelike-y Final Fantasy Tactics / ITB with more procgen

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1360270/Gem_Wizards_Tactics/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

dyzzy posted:

How would AWRL work, do you have hero units that have permadeath plus the normal factories on maps?

Give all units weight, you have a transport with a weigh limit between each island so you can carry over your core strategy. You start each stage with a flat amount of cash. Maybe your commander and his command staff are placed on the map as two or three core units that you have to keep around, but unlike basic units you construct they get stronger as used (either in combat, or maybe your command abilities? you command power cap?) so you have incentive to send them out and not just rely on purchasable chaff units that you can let die with no penalty.

Endless mode just generates bigger and bigger islands until you are fighting to conquer South America with your transport troops alone.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Mithross posted:

Give all units weight, you have a transport with a weigh limit between each island so you can carry over your core strategy. You start each stage with a flat amount of cash. Maybe your commander and his command staff are placed on the map as two or three core units that you have to keep around, but unlike basic units you construct they get stronger as used (either in combat, or maybe your command abilities? you command power cap?) so you have incentive to send them out and not just rely on purchasable chaff units that you can let die with no penalty.

Endless mode just generates bigger and bigger islands until you are fighting to conquer South America with your transport troops alone.

Isn't this less Advance Wars and more Fire Emblem?

More on theme would be making city income limited but a larger sum, with the sum carrying over between maps. Then you can spend a premium amount to deploy with something on the first turn past enough for some infantry.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Thirsty Dog posted:

It's not Roguelike Advance Wars, but Gem Wizards Tactics is kinda Roguelike-y Final Fantasy Tactics / ITB with more procgen

This looks awesome

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Floodkiller posted:

Isn't this less Advance Wars and more Fire Emblem?

More on theme would be making city income limited but a larger sum, with the sum carrying over between maps. Then you can spend a premium amount to deploy with something on the first turn past enough for some infantry.

I mean Fire Emblem really just needs a randomizer (and maybe something that shuffles unit classes around?) and it's there. Carrying over a certain amount of money would be closer to AW, true, but my thought was carrying over some built units is going to help prevent people spending way too long on earlier maps to build money for the next one. Maybe you can just only carry over so much money? Base it on your ranking for the current map. If you grind up a huge sum of money you can win this map, but you have to spend it all on "moving faster to stay ahead of the war" and you get to keep a pittance at the start of the next map. Go fast and you might not have made much money but it's all yours. Win fast with cheap units and you can actually get ahead a bit and carry good amounts.

I like that too. Someone get coding. I'll throw in $5 towards RPG maker, that should be a solid enough program to get everything done.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FE randomizers already exist (at least for the GBA ones). FE also has an Ironman (unofficial) gameplay challenge that's pretty popular.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You guys are overthinking it. Advance Wars gameplay across a sequence of randomly generated missions of increasing difficulty. If you lose a mission, game over. There you go, roguelike AW.

You can add in more roguelite elements to taste. Choose from a set of three new perks for your CO after each mission, a branching map of missions to pick from, alternate COs and/or factions to unlock and/or powerup with metaprogression currency, etc

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i dunno i like money carrying through, though i think it would be more interesting if it was less of a "bonus resource" thing and a dwindling resource thing
cos on map like days of ruin would be interesting and i like the perks thing since you can also put unit perks on a CO like something that makes a unit type go from d to c on a terrain or infantry captures cities slightly faster

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
If money carries over then you need to add anti-stall mechanics too, and the optimal strategy is still going to be "stall as much as the game allows you to". (Or you totally rework how money works, but then you're getting away from AW gameplay). If you really want to have bonuses based on how you did in the previous mission just make it something separate based on your ranking for that fight.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
have a cap on income and un-gathered income is automatically added to your total at the end of the match

you could even make it so that end-of-mission income gets a percentage bonus compared to turn income, to incentivize fast completion even more

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i only played about 30 hours total of ITB to get wins for each of the teams (and maybe one 4-island win? can't remember if i ever got one of those or not) but in any case they were an extremely good 30 hours and i have a lot of respect for the game

i didn't realize that people actually go for 2-island wins. feels kind of like a 3 rune crawl run to me in that it's great for getting your toes wet but you really want to explore a bit more in future runs

4-island is definitely more satisfying imo, islands 3 and 4 generally push your puzzle skills a lot harder

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Battle For Wesnoth campaigns have a neat way of handling carryover units and cash, although it's p much entirely dependent on maps having turn limits.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Purely as an intellectual exercise, it's interesting to me that if a roguelike leans far enough into deterministic mechanics, it transforms into a puzzle game, and almost universally, I don't enjoy those as much

Apparently some amount of chaos is mandatory :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thirsty Dog posted:

Getting serious Vantage Master flashbacks looking at the gifs there

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A lot of the enjoyment of advance wars campaigns came down to variety in clever handcrafted missions which were often designed to be more memorable, thematic or puzzle-like than difficult and strategic; such as the AW2 mission where you’re hopelessly underfunded but only have to survive for 2 weeks with the character who builds crappy units for cheap, or the DOR mission against a bunch of desperate cultists who are represented by swarms of low-health infantry and a single war tank that has no ammo

You could make some solid generally strategic and balanced maps in the map editor and just slug it out in generic matches, but there’s a reason the campaigns did not focus on these kinds of maps and I’m skeptical that the things most people fondly remember about advance wars could be translated to to a procedurally generated rogue model

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

dis astranagant posted:

Getting serious Vantage Master flashbacks looking at the gifs there

Is that good or bad?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Prism posted:

Is that good or bad?

It's an ancient strategy rpg Falcom put out that's pretty solid. It was freeware but the site for it went down eons ago so it might take some digging to find it now. English release was called Vantage Master Online.

Found a working download link off the old site.http://file.4gamer.net/old2/demo2/VMOnline.zip
Your browser may bitch about the download link but it's the original file from 1998.

and here's the english manual on the wayback machine.https://web.archive.org/web/20071112041954/http://www.falcom.com/vantage/manual/index.html

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 23, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

nrook posted:

The roguelike elements of Into the Breach felt inconsequential to me. Two games with the same squad typically felt the same; it was rare for the game to surprise me. Maybe I didn’t play it enough.

It feels more like a puzzle game tbh. I love them both but I don't think it's got anywhere near the replay ftl has

Imagined posted:

I realize I'm just restating what the people above me said, but Into the Breach also felt like more of a puzzle game than a roguelike imho.

Should have read on lmao

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

It's an ancient strategy rpg Falcom put out that's pretty solid. It was freeware but the site for it went down eons ago so it might take some digging to find it now. English release was called Vantage Master Online.

Found a working download link off the old site.http://file.4gamer.net/old2/demo2/VMOnline.zip
Your browser may bitch about the download link but it's the original file from 1998.

and here's the english manual on the wayback machine.https://web.archive.org/web/20071112041954/http://www.falcom.com/vantage/manual/index.html

you can still get vantage master straight from falcom

just choose the falcom mirror as it's the only one that's still working. the manual is also still live

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jazerus posted:

you can still get vantage master straight from falcom

just choose the falcom mirror as it's the only one that's still working. the manual is also still live

Cool. For some reason all I was pulling up was wayback machine links to a long dead version of falcom's site.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Into the Breach is all prebuilt maps, if you consider that 'Roguelike' enough

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

victrix posted:

Purely as an intellectual exercise, it's interesting to me that if a roguelike leans far enough into deterministic mechanics, it transforms into a puzzle game, and almost universally, I don't enjoy those as much

Apparently some amount of chaos is mandatory :v:
It's not a roguelike withoht rngesus in your heart, not just the level design.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

it's not a roguelike if you don't occasionally have to seriously consider signing a contract, written in blood, bound in flesh, by things better not named, just to know how the next die roll is going to land.

(every roguelike player steals and mortgages souls... right? How else do you enjoy the genre?)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Just saw this pop up on my recommendations list on Steam, it's another Chess-themed roguelike coming out today (there's a demo available as well):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1142080/Pawnbarian/

At first glance it looks like about the same amount of depth as Hoplite, so I guess I'll wait and see on the price point and reviews.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kanos posted:

The build that works really well for me is generally something like this:
  • Start with Lightning Bolt, obviously.
  • Your next pickup will be Chain Lightning, followed by Death Shock. These two spells are your powerhouse workhorses that will do the majority of your killing; CL is for killing huge mobs of stuff, Death Shock is for killing portals and small groups of tougher enemies. Death Shock also conveniently owns a lot of the common lightning resist mobs.
  • Get Thunder Lord. At this point CL should start becoming a ridiculous room sweeper.
  • Get Thunder Strike and the Blindcasting upgrade. This provides you with crowd control on targets you can't just annihilate, good single target damage, and the ability to snipe stuff from over walls, which is hugely important.
  • Get Lightning Form. It's an insanely good spell that provides both a ton of survivability(physical and lightning immunity) and also an insane amount of mobility - now Lightning Bolt is a teleport spell, and Thunder Strike lets you teleport over walls.
  • Get Lightning Frenzy and Arch Sorcerer to stack more damage.
  • Get Arc Lightning. This will become your default "move around with lightning form" spell and it does a huge amount of aoe damage in the process.
  • Get Conductance and upgrade it with the Resistance Debuff and Multicopy options. This is your final sanction against tough single target enemies and also breaks lightning immunes in half. Casting an upgraded Conductance on the final boss and hitting him with an upgraded Thunder Strike can do hundreds of damage on its own in addition to stunning him.

Once you have all of this stuff(which should be doable by the early teens or so, depending on circle luck), you're pretty much cruising and can focus on upgrading your spells or picking up extra damage adds like Holy Thunder. Priority for upgrades at this point should be Arc Lightning(echo flash is BUSTED, as is number of targets). Increasing the cascade ranges/numbers on Death Shock and Chain Lightning is both hilarious and can lead to very high spell efficiency because you can clear entire floors with just a couple of well placed casts, but they're not really needed to win.

For play strategy, aside from going for lightning/sorcery circles, once you get CL/Death Shock you really want to focus on wide open floors with relatively densely packed enemies that let you flex your massive area of effect power. Once you get all your synergies rolling you can wipe floors like that in just a couple of casts, whereas the rat maze floors with tons of blind corners and spread out enemies are your weakness and they will drain a ton of your resources to clear.

Once you get to the final boss just Conductance him and drop Thunder Strikes and Death Shocks on his head until he explodes.

This is fuckin' gospel, man. Just got my first clear.

I'll also add that Word of Beauty is absolutely busted as well. Turn every Mana Potion into two Healing Potions? Yes please. Absolutely turned the game around because I had 5 life left when I learned it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gunfire Reborn will get 1.0 soon, at the end of October or early November. But they have announced a price increase next month so you know, if you want to buy it for just $10, do it now. It's the best FPS/roguelike imo, much better than the competition (Ziggurat, Immortal Redneck, Roboquest, etc)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I've only played solo and I'd give it like a solid 7.5/10 at this point, it's improved a lot since I first picked it up around a year ago. I think if I had a group of friends to play with I'd be really into it though, seems like a great game for shooting the poo poo with friends. And yeah I definitely prefer it more than the games listed -- it's surprising how few people have been able to pull off a great FPS roguelite

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I really feel people should get both that and Roboquest. The gunplay of the latter felt a thousand times better to me (we've talked about this before and I'm very much in a minority)

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Roboquest is a great game but it's far less of a complete package and hasn't been updated for 2 months. When it finally releases I am confidant it will be fantastic and well worth the purchase but IMO I can't recommend it right now. I played it for all of 4.5 hours and beat it twice while seeing all of the content there was to see.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gunfire reborn is definitely a solid game and a lot of fun with friends

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's fun, but it being the best of its kind says more about the genre than the game itself imo.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Cinara posted:

Roboquest is a great game but it's far less of a complete package and hasn't been updated for 2 months. When it finally releases I am confidant it will be fantastic and well worth the purchase but IMO I can't recommend it right now. I played it for all of 4.5 hours and beat it twice while seeing all of the content there was to see.

Ah that's fair enough. 4.5 hours doesn't even get you an unlock in Gunfire, ahem.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Ah that's fair enough. 4.5 hours doesn't even get you an unlock in Gunfire, ahem.

I know "haha meta-progression amirite guys?" is :thejoke: here but that's a bit too exaggerated, c'mon now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

Let's not exaggerate, as people who haven't played won't know what's a joke or not (there are some really bad grindy games out there). You get 1-3 unlocks per game in Gunfire, for the first 20 hours.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gunfire would've been better without loving metaprogression but it's fairly fast to unlock.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I haven't played it in quite a while but everything felt really limp and impotent last time I tried to get into it. Really put me off trying to grind to unlock more poo poo.

e: I decided to update and try it again and it does feel better moment to moment gameplay. So that's good!

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 25, 2021

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Just saw this pop up on my recommendations list on Steam, it's another Chess-themed roguelike coming out today (there's a demo available as well):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1142080/Pawnbarian/

At first glance it looks like about the same amount of depth as Hoplite, so I guess I'll wait and see on the price point and reviews.

Following up after picking it up ($10, 10% off right now), definitely good for a bit of coffee-break fun (15-30 min a run) if you are the kind of person who enjoyed Hoplite.

There's three characters that each have a deck of cards based on chess pieces (or Shogi for the third character) and some passive abilities. You draw 3/play 2 cards from your deck each round by default to move around the board and kill everything to progress. You can upgrade them in shops between each level with stuff like splash damage, defense against incoming attacks, or gain an energy point+draw a card; you get gold by beating enemies and beating the level quickly. There's a decent amount of enemy variety in the three dungeons available, and it has Slay The Spire ascension levels to upgrade to after beating each dungeon once, and an infinite gauntlet like Hoplite after you beat the current dungeon if you want to see how far you can push your upgrades.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Playing more Gunfire it feels like some boss attacks are really loving hard to avoid, I don't really get what you're supposed to do when your dash can't move you fully out of some of the AoEs

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Ziggurat 2 is almost done with Early Access now and Roboquest has a pretty substantial/good dev roadmap ahead of it stretching into next year---want to say that both Zigg 2 and Gunfire will fully land at about the same time as with an incredible number of other projects within this last labored quarter gasp of 2021, so that's neat as this next gen of the niche breaks on through to the next high plateau for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Playing more Gunfire it feels like some boss attacks are really loving hard to avoid, I don't really get what you're supposed to do when your dash can't move you fully out of some of the AoEs

Barring a few exceptions, mostly you are supposed to be already moving, having learned to anticipate the pattern. There's a few things that still get me every time like the leap on boss 1 after the pillars are broken, but most stuff is avoidable with practice.