Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, to be clear, what’s currently there looks absolutely incredible and I’m certain it would be enough to consume me for quite a while. The problem is that with some incredibly rare exceptions I can only get grabbed like that once by any given game, and I’d like to maximise my enjoyment of that honeymoon period. I feel like I sort of spoiled Hades for myself by playing it in early access, and I don’t want to do the same with Qud.

I get it. Your opinion is wrong, but I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Unormal posted:

It's all planned out and has been for a couple years now. It should be acceptable, and we're far enough along and have a big enough war chest that it's gonna land barring an act of god. Even then theres probably documentation, resources and incentive for someone to close it up.

It's got a life of it's own now; quds shipping us.

There's lots of stuff we wanted to do but deferred post 1.0, but if it lands well enough financially we've got enough plans for a couple really nice paid story modules too.

CoQ got a lengthy and glowing discussion on the July 29, 2022 episode of Waypoint Radio. I caught up with this thread and was listening to the podcast right afterwards, and it was nice to hear them talk so positively about your weird little baby

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart has a really cool change to the charged attack system in beta right now. It fixes my main problem with the game (hurts my hand), so I'm enjoying it a lot more now. Bosses with tons of lovely add summons are a lot easier, bosses with just a huge wad of HP are harder. It's interesting!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bleu posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart has a really cool change to the charged attack system in beta right now. It fixes my main problem with the game (hurts my hand), so I'm enjoying it a lot more now. Bosses with tons of lovely add summons are a lot easier, bosses with just a huge wad of HP are harder. It's interesting!

do tell

can you switch to/from beta without carking your save file?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

LawfulWaffle posted:

CoQ got a lengthy and glowing discussion on the July 29, 2022 episode of Waypoint Radio. I caught up with this thread and was listening to the podcast right afterwards, and it was nice to hear them talk so positively about your weird little baby

Hey thanks for the tip, nice little discussion!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-497-ethically-sourced-grand-theft-auto/id1159170164?i=1000571612897 (at ~1:07:00)

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

do tell

can you switch to/from beta without carking your save file?

The short-form of the change is that you get a little charged attack meter, and firing off charged attacks beyond that does low damage. It recovers when you don't charge attack and you get a free charge every time you break a piece off the monster. The powered charge attacks are very, very good (Heart Shot shoots 3 charged shots at once, Feather Shot pierces through targets, Star Shot is always a full burst of stars), and the dev added a bunch of different firing styles that aren't just holding and releasing the button repeatedly that you can experiment with (you can even have two different firing modes at once and toggle with a second button). It's much more friendly to play. Effects that used to make charged attacks faster now either give you more charges or cause them to recover faster. Enemies like Astrayo or the Nova Squad who constantly summon little adds for you to smash are a lot easier to keep up with by hitting them with charged shots, which gives you back charges, so you can chain them together.

I like the change a lot. I haven't switched back, so I don't know about the save files! Probably it's fine, maybe.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
By the way, for those who may wonder why CoQ doesn't get a lot of talk in here, it's one of the few traditional roguelikes that has its own active thread.

Not saying people shouldn't talk about it in here or anything! But if you're itching for more in-depth Qud discussion, there's some over there.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Finally spent some time with the charge attack beta of The Void Rains and it's fantastic. Charge attacks are useful and different shot types have very differentiated charges. They feel like the best way to break little things or occasionally hit weak points, instead of being either ideal or pointless.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what're the mechanics behind part breaking, anyway? i'm at a loss how to statistically give myself the best chances at dreams like "kill Prisma without breaking a part" or "break all of Omorah's rings"

(e) also agreed nu-charge kicks rear end, tho i feel like some monster parts are either going to have to be made more durable or worth less than one full shot

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 3, 2022

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Ciaphas posted:

what're the mechanics behind part breaking, anyway? i'm at a loss how to statistically give myself the best chances at dreams like "kill Prisma without breaking a part" or "break all of Omorah's rings"

(e) also agreed nu-charge kicks rear end, tho i feel like some monster parts are either going to have to be made more durable or worth less than one full shot

Each part has it's own hp (and it's own resistances). To not break parts you target the core as much as possible and avoid damaging any one part too much. Breaking all parts is the opposite, don't hit their core. Some monsters have more of their hp in parts than others, some of them have very tight margins.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Part breaking is pretty simple, each part has a set amount of HP and when it's gone, it breaks. Any damage done to a part is deducted from the monster's total HP. Different parts may have different damage resistance stats, though -- like if you've fought Blot you may have noticed that in the second phase his healthbar drains significantly faster when you shoot his paint blobs as opposed to his main body.

The only edge case where it gets complicated is if you're trying to really maximize your score against a monster with lots of small, breakable parts. If a part has 5 HP and you do 20 damage to it, the part will break and you'll still do 20 damage to the monster's total healthbar. This means if you're using a lot of single hit high damage shots, you may finish the fight before actually breaking all of the parts. You basically never need to care about this during the main game though and even in quickplay going for platinum medals it only matters during a few fights when you're using a few specific builds. And I haven't played the new patch with the charge attack change but it sounds like it'll make this come up even less often since you're more likely to use a mix of regular shots and charge attacks as opposed to charging every shot.

edit: I forget what it's called or where you unlock it, so this isn't very helpful, but there's a gift that lets you see damage numbers and also gives each monster part its own HP bar. This is really helpful for completing achievements like the "don't break any Prisma parts" one in quickplay, but it's not impossible even without it. Parts will start to flash and shake a little when they're close to breaking . And yeah the "break all of Omarah's rings" one is exactly one of the edge cases I was talking about, lol. Just ignore your instinct to use charged attacks all the time and it shouldn't be too hard

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 3, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh that's the bit i didn't know, that parts have their own resistance values too - i thought it was just HPfear that was per-part, and they all shared the same resistances. like for Blot I'd noticed that extra damage but I thought it was from part destruction, not that the parts were outright taking more damage than shots to the body

suppose i could have worked that out by watching the fear bar more closely, but lol i got other things to be looking at :v:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah there are a few cases where it's significant. Like the Sentinels take more damage if you shoot them in the head and it's a way to finish the fight quickly, but you'll miss out on the bonus karma and motes from breaking their legs and arms.

edit: this info and the stuff about blot is all written in the descriptions you unlock by radiating the monsters btw. Sometimes it's just lore/flavor stuff but occasionally there's some useful tips in there

goferchan fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 3, 2022

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Very enjoyable game, just cleared the second boss

parara
Apr 9, 2010
https://twitter.com/QCFdesign/status/1555177510345887749?s=20&t=ghBycVE6KyHyXo-OsPO9Eg

Great news for a still great game!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I dearly love Desktop Dungeons and have 75 hours in it, but making it 3d feels like the most unnecessary remake ever - the original pixel art is gorgeous, you really need to be able to see the entire dungeon at once at all times, and having animations that last longer than a tenth of a second or so will get really old really fast.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wow lol, that's cool. For those who haven't played, I'd almost call it more of a "puzzle game for people who love roguelikes" than an "roguelike" but either way, it's very very tightly designed and manages to squeeze a ton of content out of its ruleset. It's also the first "early access" game I ever bought, way back in 2010 long before games were doing the Kickstarter thing.

edit: Although yeah I can't see why it needs to be in 3D. Let's hope they nail the UI and keep everything readable, because there's generally a lot of information you want to take in at once when making a move. I actually quite like the new character portraits though as opposed to the "powerpoint presentation from your HR department" art in the trailer, this nails the goofy style of the old game pretty well:

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 4, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also good lord I forgot the soundtrack was made by Danny Baranowsky and Grant Kirkhope. That's a powerhouse combo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

goferchan posted:

Wow lol, that's cool. For those who haven't played, I'd almost call it more of a "puzzle game for people who love roguelikes" than an "roguelike" but either way, it's very very tightly designed and manages to squeeze a ton of content out of its ruleset. It's also the first "early access" game I ever bought, way back in 2010 long before games were doing the Kickstarter thing.

edit: Although yeah I can't see why it needs to be in 3D. Let's hope they nail the UI and keep everything readable, because there's generally a lot of information you want to take in at once when making a move. I actually quite like the new character portraits though as opposed to the "powerpoint presentation from your HR department" art in the trailer, this nails the goofy style of the old game pretty well:

ugly as sin, just play the original

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
the best its ever looked was the og, the released version was neat, . maybe in play that 3d version looks better but yeeeeeeeeeesh

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I judge it Hopeful with the standard of being Not So Much Hopeful being what has been wrought of Sword of the Stars: The Pit's 3D foray(s).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that is seriously ugly

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think it looks OK. Definitely a downgrade though.

I'm interested in the rewind feature though, I've definitely thrown some runs away by complete accident and it's nice to have an oops button.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's mostly ugly but I goddamn love that character sprite's face.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX9JlggiCHo

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

goferchan posted:

edit: I forget what it's called or where you unlock it, so this isn't very helpful, but there's a gift that lets you see damage numbers and also gives each monster part its own HP bar. This is really helpful for completing achievements like the "don't break any Prisma parts" one in quickplay, but it's not impossible even without it. Parts will start to flash and shake a little when they're close to breaking . And yeah the "break all of Omarah's rings" one is exactly one of the edge cases I was talking about, lol. Just ignore your instinct to use charged attacks all the time and it shouldn't be too hard

That upgrade is Fear Sense and you unlock it by defeating Unit Lulu in 30 seconds or less in story mode, which is pretty easy as Twins even with no upgrades. And yeah, it's super useful when you're trying to break (or avoid breaking) specific parts.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
My biggest worry about the new Desktop Dungeons is that the whole dungeon doesn’t fit in one screen. Having to scroll around, looking for an enemy I can beat up takes a little away from the original’s compact nature

parara
Apr 9, 2010
This is my concern as well since part of the strategizing is having the entire map at your disposal in one overview. I’m not big on the new graphics but the game getting some more love is welcome.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all, I was not sure where to discuss this so thought I may as well start here.

This year I finally released my TTRPG, DEAD IN THE WEST. It was funded through Kickstarter and the response so far has been very positive.

So; I would like to create a Roguelike game. It would be a deck-builder with a unique gimmick. I've been taking notes on the idea and design concepts for a while and think there's a lot to it.

However, in terms of videogame knowledge: I have none. Zilch. Game design I'm experienced with, but only in a traditional format. I don't know a damned thing about programming or what-have-you. Does anyone know how I might go about making contacts or trying to get something together? Understand this might not be the thread for it, but didn't know where might be appropriate.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all, I was not sure where to discuss this so thought I may as well start here.

This year I finally released my TTRPG, DEAD IN THE WEST. It was funded through Kickstarter and the response so far has been very positive.

So; I would like to create a Roguelike game. It would be a deck-builder with a unique gimmick. I've been taking notes on the idea and design concepts for a while and think there's a lot to it.

However, in terms of videogame knowledge: I have none. Zilch. Game design I'm experienced with, but only in a traditional format. I don't know a damned thing about programming or what-have-you. Does anyone know how I might go about making contacts or trying to get something together? Understand this might not be the thread for it, but didn't know where might be appropriate.

There's a game development thread that might help. It's in the programming forum so it's mostly people talking about game specific coding stuff but it's got a wide range and probably would be a good spot to ask.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

There's also the Making Games thread, seems like a good place for your query as well.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

I see the desktop dungeons remaster differently. It's not for people who read this thread at all. We already own it or would buy the original based on word of mouth.

A steam release allows them to reset the clock and remarket their product. They needed to do something new to go along with that and... They really squeezed a lot of content out of their concept gameplay wise already. The graphics were just a way to justify a release and generate some hype.

drat good game, would recommend the current 2D version.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's me, I'm the guy who has no real knowledge of the original game and think this reboot looks very nice. Although I get the complaints and it sounds like I should probably check out the original one.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Cheers!

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Not a fan of the 3d graphics either but I love the game so much I'm willing to try.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
If it gets more people to play and buy it that's a win in my book

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

I should really give this game another chance, the art style and music are so extremely my jam but I found the gameplay awkward. The way all the sprites boop about is :3:

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

RabidWeasel posted:

I should really give this game another chance, the art style and music are so extremely my jam but I found the gameplay awkward. The way all the sprites boop about is :3:

One thing I personally find very helpful in the game is to tap your feet with the rhythm, alternating between left and right and turning yourself into a metronome of sorts. I immediately went from awkwardly struggling through the game to never, ever missing a beat. YMMV of course

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Magitek posted:

One thing I personally find very helpful in the game is to tap your feet with the rhythm, alternating between left and right and turning yourself into a metronome of sorts. I immediately went from awkwardly struggling through the game to never, ever missing a beat. YMMV of course

My buddy has the Zelda Necrodancer for switch, when he was calibrating the game for frame delay he was so off-beat it told him some bizarrely high number like 500 milliseconds or something. Then he passed me the controller and when I did it it was like 10 or so.

Some people are just bad at rhythm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

My buddy has the Zelda Necrodancer for switch, when he was calibrating the game for frame delay he was so off-beat it told him some bizarrely high number like 500 milliseconds or something. Then he passed me the controller and when I did it it was like 10 or so.

Some people are just bad at rhythm.

Yeah, I liked Necrodancer and got all the not crazy unlocks but could never get the rhythm down so I played terribly suboptimally and never had a good rhythm bonus or whatever it was.