Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah, my sense of rhythm is bad but I could still beat it with every story character except the last one. Learning patterns and playing strategically gets you far, but "Die if you miss an input" is just too unforgiving.

I have a friend who is so bad at rhythm that he could only play bard. Bard removes the rhythm element entirely, and it is cool there is an option to just make it a standard turn based dungeon crawler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm pretty good at and enjoy rhythm games but something about rolling roguelike gameplay on top of that totally breaks my brain

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, I liked Necrodancer and got all the not crazy unlocks but could never get the rhythm down so I played terribly suboptimally and never had a good rhythm bonus or whatever it was.

Good news! There is literally a character for that, the Bard, who doesn't use rhythm and so the game goes fully turn-based at your leisure.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad
god bless all these japanese player who keep rezzing me within an hour of begging for it in shiren. truly the uncaped heroes of roguelikes.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Foul Fowl posted:

god bless all these japanese player who keep rezzing me within an hour of begging for it in shiren. truly the uncaped heroes of roguelikes.

it's encouraging that it never takes more than a day to get picked up. hope they do another someday

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad

beer gas canister posted:

it's encouraging that it never takes more than a day to get picked up. hope they do another someday

just beat the story mode which was a real rush, had the terror sweats for a bit when the dragons rained down. i never beat the DS game so my inner teenager is fist pumping/crying at finally managing to beat the next best thing. the final boss was a doozy, i like shiren's way of discouraging direct combat in favour of grassing yourself up and loving with your enemies. feels like you have 500 options at every turn, some of those turns took me deep into the think tank. dope game. blessings to the japanese players still doing rescues.

i know there's like 500 hours more content and i'm excited for it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So I just picked up the new Necrodancer DLC and I guess they've... changed the default controls since I last played? I'm used to pressing down and left to activate bombs, up and right to use a spell, etc. but it appears my control scheme has been wiped/overwritten with the defaults... which is fine, but now bomb, spell, etc. are set to face buttons. Which, okay, sure... but I really wanted to play the new DLC character, which also requires two directional inputs to change her sword orientation? I have to use the new default controls if I want to play as her, then? Or am I crazy?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

Good news! There is literally a character for that, the Bard, who doesn't use rhythm and so the game goes fully turn-based at your leisure.

Version 3.0 also added the ability to turn on bard mode for any other character (at the cost of disabling achievements), if you want to play as not-bard (say, to see the story) but can't handle the rhythm element.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

none of y'all told me Alina of the Arena was this cool

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
For Crypt of the Necrodancer, I would be concerned that the game would be too easy without the rhythm element or some other mechanic to replace it, such as a flat time limit per floor. Most enemies have simple patterns that only become difficult to dodge because of the small amount of time you have to think about how to face them properly.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

victrix posted:

Yeah, game owns

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

victrix posted:

Just played this after seeing your post, can confirm game is super cool. Likely won't play a ton more till it gets out of early access but really liking what's there so far.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Gave it a shot and drat, the way the game rewards more aggressive play with the audience throwing gold and items is really fun. And that just further incentives moving around the arena to pick up consumables and swapping around weapons, making you feel even more like an underdog improvising gladiator... nifty, nifty stuff.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 8, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cinara posted:

Just played this after seeing your post, can confirm game is super cool. Likely won't play a ton more till it gets out of early access but really liking what's there so far.

pretty sure it's leaving EA in just a few days if their recent posts are an indication (upcoming price raise + they said adding the last boss was the last step in EA)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nrook posted:

For Crypt of the Necrodancer, I would be concerned that the game would be too easy without the rhythm element or some other mechanic to replace it, such as a flat time limit per floor. Most enemies have simple patterns that only become difficult to dodge because of the small amount of time you have to think about how to face them properly.

It does make it significantly easier, yes. So does Nethack's explore mode. So what?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah. I wouldn't say Necromancer is a particularly good title if you're not interested in the 'dancer' part. That said, Bard is a great way to learn the game if you're uncomfortable with it at first since the game is basically the same just more controlled in pace.

I've also seen people dodge the game entirely because of hearing about stuff like characters who die when they miss a beat or pick up gold and just go 'nope, not for me, don't wanna do that' when those characters are very much not required to enjoy the game and have fun. I mean, last I heard the rarest non-Platinum trophy in any game on PSN is the Coda trophy because that character was DESIGNED to be harder then hard- most of the characters are alternate play modes or challenge modes and there's plenty of Necromancer to enjoy without throwing yourself into the misery zone of playing ones you don't like (gently caress the monk and turning every floor into a puzzle game of boxing yourself in with fatal gold pickups.)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I only ever played cadence because every other character was either some unfun gimmick or super challenge mode that ignored a bunch of the game’s mechanics like different weapons to equip.

a character who always dies in 1 hit and instantly explodes if you ever miss a beat sounds brutal but doable, but also add in the fact that she can only use a dagger so all variety is gone and that’s a hard pass.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 9, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
New Necrodancer DLC is fun, but I'm really not liking Klarinetta (The greatsword girl), mainly because swinging her sword is extremely awkward, and it feels like 1/10 times it just doesn't register your double inputs.

Edit: Suzu is really fun though, even though her special ability constantly puts you in bad situations. One-shotting bosses is neat

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 9, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

victrix posted:

i knew i could trust the opinion of someone who likes Monolith as much as I do, so I bought in last night too

it worked :v: this game's a lot of fun. i don't usually get into deckbuilders but all the stuff you can do with the weapons system and arena hexgrid is really compelling

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 9, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's basically what I wanted into the breach to be, that game is more of a puzzle game, Alina has enough chaos to keep me entertained

almost beat warlord with a two hander last night, bombed out on the last boss :negative:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
if dirty monolith-likers like it i gotta pick it up as well. I really enjoyed ItB and Hoplite, but have been put off just because I've been feeling a little burned out of card-likes. they're also based in taiwan, which is neat as someone from there :toot:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AotA seems like an exact clone of Slay the Spire, but with a hex grid that adds some proximity based tactics. I guess the weapon you use has some impact on various stuff? Only played it for about 15-20 min to get through to the first boss though

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Any fun roguelikes that look like you're playing on 80s TSR-style fantasy maps, ala

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hadlock posted:

AotA seems like an exact clone of Slay the Spire, but with a hex grid that adds some proximity based tactics. I guess the weapon you use has some impact on various stuff? Only played it for about 15-20 min to get through to the first boss though

weapons are basically upgradable modifiers to combat cards that match the hand you wield it in (so a sword in the left - red - hand won't affect blue combat cards unless it's a two-hander, and vice versa for the right - blue - hand)

things like "hits in an aoe but adds a fatigue to your deck" or "max range 2, adds 1 burn"

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Any fun roguelikes that look like you're playing on 80s TSR-style fantasy maps, ala

don't thinks so. good idea for an aesthetic though

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

feedmyleg posted:

Guild of Dungeoneering

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

It's not a roguelike, but Card Hunter has this aesthetic and randomized gear drops and character upgrades.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Card Hunter's fun, even if the story kind of hurts.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The pyro builds in AotA are really fun, especially if you pick up something like a flame spear and have something that lets you ignore burn. Just hanging out in fire tiles stabbing people at a distance lighting them on fire.

Hadlock posted:

Im confused by what you mean, I don't see what makes it an exact clone more than any other card battler. The proximity stuff really makes it play different tho, like its totally viable to do builds that have barely any block/dmg negate if you just have enough movement options to completely avoid attacks.

Ciaphas posted:

weapons are basically upgradable modifiers to combat cards that match the hand you wield it in (so a sword in the left - red - hand won't affect blue combat cards unless it's a two-hander, and vice versa for the right - blue - hand)

things like "hits in an aoe but adds a fatigue to your deck" or "max range 2, adds 1 burn"

To add a bit examples to this, just because I think this is a really cool system, you can also have shields which increase block played and give you a status effect that lets you keep half block, so certain builds will incentive keeping your blocks and attacks separate colors entirely. Or you have range weapons that require reloading which you do by discarding a card of its color (or any card if its two handed)

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

feedmyleg posted:

There used to be a really neat 2e auto dungeon game. An automatic run around illustrated flowcharts. But the game had metaprogression unlocking new shops and classes if you retired with enough money. Probably died with the end of flash anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

habituallyred posted:

There used to be a really neat 2e auto dungeon game. An automatic run around illustrated flowcharts. But the game had metaprogression unlocking new shops and classes if you retired with enough money. Probably died with the end of flash anyway.
If you remember the name, it might be on the Flashpoint flash archive.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i ran into an event early on with something like "-10HP: gain +2 strength on kill" or "-10HP: gain +2 HP on kill" or "-95% HP: get both"

that third one carried me right to the final boss, who I only lost to because I didn't understand the jester's adds would just keep coming back :argh:

(e) ooh, unlocked hunter & pyromancer :getin:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

that third one carried me right to the final boss, who I only lost to because I didn't understand the jester's adds would just keep coming back :argh:

(e) ooh, unlocked hunter & pyromancer :getin:

You still want to murdilate them because early on they'll give him a damage resist/invuln shield the more are up, and once they're down he'll waste time resummoning them - I think ideally you probably want one or two active with the ability to stun or move them so they waste time, or leave the ones alive that are easy to dodge or tank

For that boss you really need extra mobility to get out of his bullshit, which is true in a lot of places really - grappling hook is super good, switch is nice

Going full-send on whatever your gimmick is feels like the best route so far - that game I almost won on Warlord difficulty was a two hander with an energy amulet that completely prevented me from gaining block and I had that until after the second boss, I was just alpha striking poo poo down with a jumbo guts sword that had +1 range as its power move

I'm not sure how many classes there are total, I've unlocked a bunch, most are just different starting weapon + a few starting cards - enough to get your gimmick rolling once you unlock all the starting death coin bonuses

Overall I don't think it has quite enough depth to really keep you playing for 234823 hours like StS or Monster Train or Vault of the Void with scaling or whatever, but it's extremely satisfying and is basically the perfect length and complexity to scratch both the tactical and deckbuilding itches.

Plus the art is very :kimchi: and all the effects are nice and punchy (htf does this dead forum not have :kawaii:).

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Pyromancer was a lot of fun esp against the ice assassin

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Potsticker posted:

It's not a roguelike, but Card Hunter has this aesthetic and randomized gear drops and character upgrades.

Oh wow, used to play it lots back in the day when it was browser based. Anyone know what's it like now? It's free on steam, but quite a few reviews bash it for stuffing Micro transactions in your face :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

It wouldn't be too hard to make a Nethack tileset out of these, but a) that's a lot of tedious busy-work to get started 2) if you're not already a Nethack fan, you probably won't become one if you pick the game up today :v:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

valuum posted:

Oh wow, used to play it lots back in the day when it was browser based. Anyone know what's it like now? It's free on steam, but quite a few reviews bash it for stuffing Micro transactions in your face :(

I played it again a few months back and it is pretty full of micro transactions. If you're the type of person who is desensitized and can ignore the stuff you don't want to spend money on (extra treasure at the end of each quest! extra quests that give special themed items! extra cosmetic looks for your character/s!) then I think there's nothing that keeps it from being an interesting free game. In addition to piecemeal micro transactions it tries to sell you on a subscription fee as well, which really turned me off from spending money on it, but I did enjoy the gameplay well enough to put a little time into it and don't mind recommending people check it out if they're interested in the gameplay/aesthetic since I don't feel either of those are hobbled by the MTX.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

valuum posted:

Like the other poster said, it's in your face but not necessary at all to have fun with it. And you can purchase stuff you want like the additional quests in bundles that don't feel predatory or whatever. It's also a really fun coop game if you have some buds.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Snooze Cruise posted:

To add a bit examples to this, just because I think this is a really cool system, you can also have shields which increase block played and give you a status effect that lets you keep half block, so certain builds will incentive keeping your blocks and attacks separate colors entirely. Or you have range weapons that require reloading which you do by discarding a card of its color (or any card if its two handed)

The best block setup I've found is a dagger build that uses 2x upgraded "Reflex" powers to generate 6 block every time you deal damage. You stack your deck with lots of cheap/free attacks and end up accumulating enough block through damage that you can face-tank any hit you're unable to easily avoid. I think I had only suffered 25 total unblocked damage by the end of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

habituallyred posted:

Dungeon Robber, or were you thinking of a different one?