Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Barony is great, especially coop where you come back if your partners can make it to the next level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

victrix posted:

Whoah neat, is it good?

It's not the best ever but it's pretty good. The original version at least suffers from some balance issues but it looks the steam version is expanded and reworked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slasher's Keep looks like someone wanted to make Darkest Dungeon in 3D. I wouldn't be surprised if they Underpants Gnomed the thing.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jedit posted:

Slasher's Keep looks like someone wanted to make Darkest Dungeon in 3D. I wouldn't be surprised if they Underpants Gnomed the thing.

That's a new one for me--what does Underpants Gnoming a thing mean?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's a new one for me--what does Underpants Gnoming a thing mean?

The Underpants Gnomes have the following business plan:

Step 1: Steal underpants
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

Underpants Gnoming is doing step 1 of your plan without thinking about step 2, but expecting to get to step 3. So these people might have thought "Hey, a 3D Darkest Dungeon would make so much bank!" and created it without thinking that maybe it would need some actual content as well.

Hailfire
Sep 11, 2011
If your looking for a sortof roguelike pokemon crossover, try Siralim 3 on steam a hell of a lotta fun and a hugea amount of depth in team creation

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

All the talk about Dungeonmans recently got me to start playing it again, and I've gotten farther than ever before! I have a question though, how do you use the stellar anvil? I put starshards in the ball by it, and when I go to the anvil it says to pick a piece of gear to enchant, but there is nothing to select in the screen it pops up for me. Removing my gear doesn't do anything either. I can't figure this out.

Edit - One more question. I have a polearm that I enchanted with a renown scroll, and now on the item it says "Renown: 1 (18/30 next)" What does that mean and do?

Jester Mcgee fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 3, 2020

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
How's Tangledeep? Anyone played it?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

It's pretty fun! I played it on my Switch. It scratched the roguelike itch pretty good. The only thing I wasn't keen on is the monster capturing / raising. I did it though because (at least at the time of the Switch release) the monsters seemed very strong, I was playing ranged characters, and the monsters were GREAT tanks. I've been thinking about replaying it because it's has some updates and I think a DLC since I played.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

One of my favorite ones, despite a few issues.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Jester Mcgee posted:

All the talk about Dungeonmans recently got me to start playing it again, and I've gotten farther than ever before! I have a question though, how do you use the stellar anvil? I put starshards in the ball by it, and when I go to the anvil it says to pick a piece of gear to enchant, but there is nothing to select in the screen it pops up for me. Removing my gear doesn't do anything either. I can't figure this out.

Edit - One more question. I have a polearm that I enchanted with a renown scroll, and now on the item it says "Renown: 1 (18/30 next)" What does that mean and do?

I’ve also Dungeonmand and have been really enjoying it. However I’m running into a few random bugs with the controller support: you have to click to get through auto clear dungeons, you can’t leave the beastery page without the KB, and the uh-not monk stances can’t be assigned to controller hotkeys.

(Using a wired Xbox controller)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Terminally Bored posted:

It's good. They're working on a sequel while polishing up their Tetris/puzzle quest thing.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Terminally Bored posted:

Awful. The graphics are ugly and the gameplay feels bad.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

well now I don’t know what to think!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jester Mcgee posted:

That...sounds like a bug to me! IIRC the UI should work just like a regular enchant scroll. If you swing on by the discord you can upload your save so madjack can take a look.

quote:

Renowned weapons gain prestige as you use them to defeat powerful enemies. The more renown they gain, the more power they have as well! In mechanical terms, every time they level up they add 1 to the damage dice and sides of the weapon, you get to pick another legendary enchantment, and they gain a star, which means they can support one more enchant scroll.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I really liked tangledeep. The pet and equipment upgrade systems are good but feel like a bit much to engage with. You can easily clear the game without really engaging with either.

I had a lot more fun with it in adventure mode and playing like diablo.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

It's average and I don't have strong feelings either way.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Terminally Bored posted:

The developer is a goon who worked with the also goon-made Dungeonmans developer on it. Play it!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Also its a good game

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

And Neurovoider, which is good but not great.

There's an eShop sale on this currently - $5.59.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/neurovoider-switch/

It looks interesting, but with a "good but not great" verdict I think I'm going to pass.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Thanks, all. I'll get Tangledeep if the controls on switch are alright. Got Unexplored last week and it's pretty bad. The ui is way too small in handheld mode and the menu controls are pretty weird.

Wildtortilla posted:

It looks interesting, but with a "good but not great" verdict I think I'm going to pass.

It's not worth that much but if you can get it in this bundle:
https://www.dekudeals.com/items/indie-gems-bundle-explosions-edition
then I'd recommend it. Steredenn is cool, too.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I really want to play Unexplored with a controller but I could never get comfortable with it. I should probably just learn mouse and keyboard for it, because I definitely liked what it was going for.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Apropos mystery dungeon chat, what's a good one to try out if I've played a lot of roguelikes but no MD games specifically? (Apart from the fan-translated Shiren 3 on PSP, which I never got particularly far into...maybe I should try that again?)

I can play PSX/2/P, Wii, and (3)DS games, but not PS4/5 or Switch, so stuff like Shiren 5 is out of reach unless I play the original DS version (or wait for the win64 release), as is the Chocobo Mystery Dungeon remake on Switch.

doctorfrog posted:

If anyone remembers Approaching Infinity, it looks like it is finally escaping the black hole of Shrapnel Games and getting a spot on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/551620/Approaching_Infinity/

But is it way, way too late for this game to be relevant to this thread? Will it have a price point under $40? Hard to say until August 5, when it unlocks!

Oh hell yes! I've been interested in AI for a while but didn't want to buy it from Shrapnel Games.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Tangledeep was the only thread rec I never liked. I tried, but it just wasn't much fun from my POV. But I don't really remember what I didn't like exactly, so oh well. Maybe I'll try it again with this helpful retrograde amnesia.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Jeza posted:

Tangledeep was the only thread rec I never liked. I tried, but it just wasn't much fun from my POV. But I don't really remember what I didn't like exactly, so oh well. Maybe I'll try it again with this helpful retrograde amnesia.

The complaint I hear most is that the game has too many systems to engage with and it makes the permadeath feel worse than the average roguelike, but that is solved by adventure mode. So if I randomly guessed your problem then maybe try that!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Another complaint you'll see a lot is people not liking the way that resources like mana and stamina are handled, where you have to rely on killing enemies to refill them. I want to say they added an option for those resources to regen naturally but I'm not sure. The game is good though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah resource management in Tangledeep feels like it's designed to constantly starve you and make every single encounter a nailbiting exercise in attrition. This makes for a deep game, because there are no trivial decisions, but it gets exhausting pretty quickly.

e: not just an exercise in attrition but attrition with a very small tank. compare something like DoomRL which also has no health or ammo regen but lets you build up a significant buffer of ammo packs and medkits

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah resource management in Tangledeep feels like it's designed to constantly starve you and make every single encounter a nailbiting exercise in attrition. This makes for a deep game, because there are no trivial decisions, but it gets exhausting pretty quickly.

I played baby adventure mode with regen it health and mana/stam and that solved a lot of the exhaustion issue.

Also the switch controls are very good. I played through from fresh file to clearing NG+++ on it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I bounced off of Tangledeep, but I don't remember hating it so much as it just not grabbing me.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Wildtortilla posted:

Neurovioider still might be free if you have Amazon Prime: https://twitch.amazon.com/tp

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I really wanted to like Tangledeep but I always felt like I had all these cool abilities but I shouldn't be using them unless I absolutely positively needed to use them. The Chronotriggery aesthetic is seriously my poo poo, the music is great, its obviously crafted with love, but it just doesn't play in a manner I enjoy all that much.

Full disclosure: I really like TOME which is like the exact opposite of Tangledeep's resource management. Abilities for days! Hit all the buttons! I also haven't played Tangledeep in a while so many things have likely changed.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that was my biggest problem with the game as well although i didnt play for very long. if you give me fun abilities i want to actually use them otherwise whats the point.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

orphean posted:

I really wanted to like Tangledeep but I always felt like I had all these cool abilities but I shouldn't be using them unless I absolutely positively needed to use them. The Chronotriggery aesthetic is seriously my poo poo, the music is great, its obviously crafted with love, but it just doesn't play in a manner I enjoy all that much.

Full disclosure: I really like TOME which is like the exact opposite of Tangledeep's resource management. Abilities for days! Hit all the buttons! I also haven't played Tangledeep in a while so many things have likely changed.

Uhh you can spam abilities in Tangledeep. It's why enemies drop orbs that recover energy and stamina. Sometimes they even drop two orbs. Apart from how it floods you in consumables.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes... and no. I mean, yes, it works like that, it tries to avoid those filler combat parts of other roguelikes, but in exchange it's *way easier* than other roguelikes, in the default settings. So I wouldn't call it a 'nailbiting exercise in attrition'.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

tangledeep seemed pretty generous with food-flavoured health potions, to me

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

resistentialism posted:

tangledeep seemed pretty generous with food-flavoured health potions, to me

Yep. My complaint was the game was too easy and I AM A RL NOOB.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Turin Turambar posted:

Uhh you can spam abilities in Tangledeep. It's why enemies drop orbs that recover energy and stamina. Sometimes they even drop two orbs. Apart from how it floods you in consumables.

Even with the orb drops I couldn't really 'spam' abilities without always being on empty. Maybe the drop rate has been increased on them, good news if so! :v:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
abilities just never felt right to me yeah

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked Tangledeep a lot and my only real issue was that my 360 controller had a bogus d-pad, so I'd give up free hits trying to move diagonally.

I should try it again with the One controller, the aesthetic is so nostalgic console I can't imagine using the keyboard.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

The Underpants Gnomes have the following business plan:

Step 1: Steal underpants
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

Underpants Gnoming is doing step 1 of your plan without thinking about step 2, but expecting to get to step 3. So these people might have thought "Hey, a 3D Darkest Dungeon would make so much bank!" and created it without thinking that maybe it would need some actual content as well.

I get your point, but it's absolutely not trying to be a Darkest Dungeon clone. The game has a weird, surreal sense of humor, like the well-dressed moleman merchant, the talking faces that prattle on endlessly about meaningless lore, and the orc pinup model posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

ToxicFrog posted:

Apropos mystery dungeon chat, what's a good one to try out if I've played a lot of roguelikes but no MD games specifically? (Apart from the fan-translated Shiren 3 on PSP, which I never got particularly far into...maybe I should try that again?)

I can play PSX/2/P, Wii, and (3)DS games, but not PS4/5 or Switch, so stuff like Shiren 5 is out of reach unless I play the original DS version (or wait for the win64 release), as is the Chocobo Mystery Dungeon remake on Switch.

Oh hell yes! I've been interested in AI for a while but didn't want to buy it from Shrapnel Games.

When I played Shiren the Wanderer DS when it was released, I was pretty convinced it was a masterpiece. (Admittedly, that was... let's save my dignity and say "a few years ago".) That's the one released under "Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer". I played the Wii game later and was not impressed, because it featured the sort of many-dungeon progression that defines most of the later Mystery Dungeon games; it was barely a roguelike. So I would check out the DS one if you're interested. Shiren has very few mechanics compared to most modern roguelikes, but it "works" as a game; it's challenging and engaging, and it's fun to learn the enemies and get good at it.