Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, thanks for the clarification! Touhou Mystery Dungeon == Touhou: Gensokyo Wanderer/Mystery Gensokyo 3? Sorry, the only ones I've even heard of are the official, "Mystery Dungeon"-branded ones. I really enjoyed Touhou: Luna Nights, though, so maybe I'll give this a look.

Genso Wanderer Reloaded is the one you want. It is the top mystery dungeon game in my book, you get near Nethack levels of ways to interact with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Decided against buying more games and picked One Way Heroics Plus back up. I bounced off it before but I'm enjoying it now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Approaching Infinity is sort of cool. So far all of the named planets I've seen are tasteful, I think the names are curated. They've all been celebrity names or phrases like "The Shortest Straw" it's really not any different from graveyard files in online terminal roguelikes.

I'm just not sure how much there really is to it. I'm 7 sectors deep and so far they've all been the same deal - there's a quest to find/kill/do something on one of the planets, every planet is covered in rabbits and killer plants. Occasionally there are bugs and very occasionally there's a blue-outlined super-bug. Sometimes there are slimes on certain planet types. Space hulks are loot boxes full of zombies every time, the zombies always move slower than the away team so there's no threat. If away team members get an infectious disease, just don't let them back on the ship and there's no harm done. You can replace them for a pittance at the banker station in every sector, etc.

Going to keep playing and see what more there is to it because I feel like I'm either missing a lot or just barely scratching the surface, but apparently the game "ends" in sector 20 (and can be infinitely scaled up beyond that) so I don't know how much room is left for me to see new tricks and gimmicks

It's definitely not very mechanically deep. Ranged weapons have unlimited ammo, most enemies are melee and die in 1-2 shots, cargo doesn't do anything except get sold, character progression seems very shallow (there's a list of like 30 minor passive skills and every once in a while you get to pick a new one for each officer you have), each sector is just one screen of mostly wide-open space scattered with a few planets/stations, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 6, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Undermine first impressions

Combat is... mediocre, overall. It's more Binding of Isaac than say, Dead Cells.
It doesn't feel smooth, as it doesn't allow to move and attack, you stop when you attack.
It has a very vertical 'topdown' perspective, so it's weird they chose jump as the avoid action, instead of roll.
Colliding with enemies doesn't hurt you. Combat pace is overall slow.
In exchange of that, it's one of those roguelites where it's hard to heal yourself. You don't do it between floors or anything like that.
Traps can be triggered and also hurt enemies.
It's heavily based on metaprogression. It's 'one of those'. You buy from basic mechanics like seeing enemies HP bar to extra hp, extra damage, extra amount of gold not lost on game over, extra bomb damage, etc
The currency used to buy items in the runs is the same as the unlocks for the meta progression, so you have to decide what's more important, up to a point.
About the passives and perks you gain, it doesn't seem it goes very crazy in combinatorial varied builds, unlike Hades.
It doesn't have difficulty selection, at least not right now. Dunno if it's unlocked when you finish the game for the first time.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
I bought Approaching Infinity and then I returned it. I really liked Prospector, so when others mentioned it was Prospector++ I was very excited. I think it's more of a Prospector+--- however.

Pluses:
1) Nice colors and tiles, mostly bug-free.

Minuses:
1) More annoying oxygen management and no real way to improve it. Prospector had auxiliary oxygen tanks, jump jets, and other small tools to give you a boost to your exploration range away from ship. Approaching infinity seems to have no way to improve your oxygen except for hoping that the store has higher capacity oxygen suits for sale. There is at most one suit in the shop and only one shop per sector. I think it's expected that you just run out of oxygen and take the disease risks on breathable Terran planets, but I don't like this gameplay mechanic.

2) It's more grindy than prospector as far as I could see. In Prospector it was possible to hit rich veins of rare minerals early, and then convert that to better equipment pretty quickly. I found mostly ore and food in Approaching Infinity for the first 4 sectors., and selling tons of it didn't give me many credits. It's okay to bee credit poor though because there was nothing worth buying even if had the credits. I rerolled the shop inventory (costing credits) a few times and I saw nothing worth buying.

3) No way to get really overpowered. In prospector your exploration gear mostly stacked so that eventually you could become a super-explorer. Ground penetrating radar explore at huge range and over mountains, jump jets to fly over those mountains, massive oxygen reserves, etc. Approaching infinity makes you choose between exploration gear (walk on lava OR walk on water, not both), but most of that gear doesn't seem to help you explore non terran planets anyway (err 2 points of unmitigatable damage per turn on hostile biomes?)

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Spelunky 2 releasing on Sept 15th for PS4. Steam date unannounced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gc1xuzHIDs

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I enjoyed my first pahtway through griftlands but I also won it in one shot and am not sure if I want to give it another go. It's fun and all but the runs are long and the difficulty seems to be a little on the lite side. All that Dominion/Slay the Spire/Puzzle Strike playing has made these games a little easy for me :smug: but I do like its attempt at giving you a large sandbox to kick around in.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Rook's route is more difficult on the onset. It def needs one more layer of interaction with the random npcs to make that idea work imo.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Been eyeing the Qud for a while and finally jumped in. A newbie guide was posted some (many?) pages ago but I cant find it, and a lot of the google hits are fairly old - what's a decent and simple guide for a second run? Going to bum around a bit first and probably die really quickly conquer the game first try!

e: well okay I didnt die yet, but neither have I made a single step. Character creation and the help screen were powerful obstacles

valuum fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 6, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

Spelunky 2 releasing on Sept 15th for PS4. Steam date unannounced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gc1xuzHIDs

Fuuuuuuuck. I'm screwed. I remember when I finally completed the game by going to hell, it was such an accomplishment for me. This thing is gonna wreck my spare time.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
coming out very slightly ahead on the PS4 and then later on PC. sigh. I guess I'm buying this game twice. Spelunky was my GOTD for 2010-2019

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

valuum posted:

Been eyeing the Qud for a while and finally jumped in. A newbie guide was posted some (many?) pages ago but I cant find it, and a lot of the google hits are fairly old - what's a decent and simple guide for a second run? Going to bum around a bit first and probably die really quickly conquer the game first try!

e: well okay I didnt die yet, but neither have I made a single step. Character creation and the help screen were powerful obstacles

Just start with a random character and explore, it's going to take a few lives to get the hang of it anyway. It's well worth it, no reason to have analysis paralysis on character creation.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

valuum posted:

Phone posting so I can’t dig the builds up either but I’d say just go mutated human and make sure you have at least one good survival skill. Frozen hands, teleport, and force wall are all good choices. Precognition takes a little more foresight to use but is also great for just letting you test new stuff safely.

Talk to the tinkerer in the west of Joppa for a quest, give him some starting artifacts if you have them for a free level, then head east to the rust wells (red circle on world map) for your first dungeon.

Some people recommend turning off permadeath as you learn the game, personally I just threw characters into the meat grinder so I could keep trying new builds.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a graphics option for Qud or is it all ASCII?

I just can't get into ASCII graphics.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Wildtortilla posted:

It isn't ASCII by default. I've never even seen it, although I know the option is in there somewhere.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

There are both tiles and faux-curses modes.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Wildtortilla posted:

There's a really nice-looking lo-fi tiles option - take a look.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

valuum posted:

Someone made a workshop mod that is an interactive tutorial. Gives you starter quests to get used to how everything works. Worth checking out if you are just getting started.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah the graphics are low-fi, definitely not tiles. Also with some of the new UI prerelease elements enabled (I made a confusing post about it earlier), it looks pretty clean and scales to whatever resolution:

Qud in 1440p as god intended

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

victrix posted:

Yeah the graphics are low-fi, definitely not tiles.

:confused: Those are tiles -- small square or rectangular pixmaps tesselated in a grid instead of character glyphs. "Tiles" doesn't necessarily imply high resolution or colour depth, just that they're actual graphics that can be arbitrarily (within the limits of the tile size and image format) extended rather than characters selected from the fixed symbol space of a font.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Snake Maze posted:

Some people recommend turning off permadeath as you learn the game, personally I just threw characters into the meat grinder so I could keep trying new builds.

I did this and it helped. Biggest lesson learned was to avoid fighting all the time. You just have to run away pretty often. The quests become predictable over time, serving as benchmarks to build towards. I usually avoid scrapping with random enemies outside of the main quest until level 3 or 4, then I feel freer to branch out and explore ruins etc.

Keep that in mind when constructing a character build, too. Try to have an escape ability, like Teleport, on every character, so you can get away from that drat horde of baboons that absolutely will stone you to death without mercy.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

:confused: Those are tiles -- small square or rectangular pixmaps tesselated in a grid instead of character glyphs. "Tiles" doesn't necessarily imply high resolution or colour depth, just that they're actual graphics that can be arbitrarily (within the limits of the tile size and image format) extended rather than characters selected from the fixed symbol space of a font.

Sorry, meant ascii :v:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

valuum posted:

There's a gameplay guide for beginners in the Community tab for the game

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Undermine first impressions

Are you making GBS threads me? The game (or Xbox for pc, whatever) has lost my save progress. :( :(

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I got to Hell in Barony and promptly died to the boss. I turned off the Minotaur because I hate all timelimits in all games. I like it quite a lot honestly, but there are some real headscratcher decisions. Like, if you wait for 30s at the start doing inventory management, half the enemies on the map will die off and most of the traps will set off.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jeza posted:

I got to Hell in Barony and promptly died to the boss. I turned off the Minotaur because I hate all timelimits in all games. I like it quite a lot honestly, but there are some real headscratcher decisions. Like, if you wait for 30s at the start doing inventory management, half the enemies on the map will die off and most of the traps will set off.

Are those two statements related? I don't know the game, but would having a time limit make waiting 30s a real cost?

edit:
Oh, and was this the thread that everyone was playing Nuclear Throne in a while ago? I could use some tips on how to handle the final level of the icy wastes (4th stage?). I don't even get to to see the boss, I just get mobbed instantly through lack of cover.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 7, 2020

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Serephina posted:

Are those two statements related? I don't know the game, but would having a time limit make waiting 30s a real cost?

Partly, but the Minotaur isn't guaranteed most levels. Lots of guides recommend waiting at the start as an actual tactic.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Serephina posted:

edit:
Oh, and was this the thread that everyone was playing Nuclear Throne in a while ago? I could use some tips on how to handle the final level of the icy wastes (4th stage?). I don't even get to to see the boss, I just get mobbed instantly through lack of cover.

be aggressive. Hunter is really dangerous but also has a very low HP, you'd be surprised at how quickly you can melt him. Also, the skill that lets you burrow through walls to create cover is very powerful and definitely something you want to grab at some point during a run. Usually I'll take it before that stage if possible

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lil hunter is 100% an exercise in putting one of the prime nuclear throne strats to use: that being to poo poo out as much damage on something as possible because something that's dead can't hurt you

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I really like Barony as well, I like that the monsters and NPCs fight each other and set off traps. It means as you explore you find bloodstains and piles of loot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I reached the second area in Undermine. I’m going to sound harsh but,
What’s the main selling point here? What’s the highlight? The thing you have that others don’t have?

You don’t have the awesome combat of Synthetik, Dead Cells or Wizard of Legend
Nor the deep character builds of Hades
Nor the coop of Risk of Rain 2
Nor the systemic emergent gameplay of Streets of Rogue
Nor the variety of weapons of Enter the Gungeon or Dead Cells
Nor the art of Children of Morta or Hades
Nor the scenario variety of Dead Cells
Nor the classes of Morta or Streets of Rogue or Dredgers
Nor the destruction of Noita
Nor the procedural generation of Unexplored

You have… progression. A hard game that turns increasingly doable once you accumulate a mix of both ingame progression and player progression (skill, knowledge). That’s it.
It’s my intuition that there are some people who love that aspect, it’s why this style of game sells. They can ignore the rest if it has a strong progression.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's like Isaac with... way stronger metaprogression, and I think fewer unlocks although my exposure to it is minimal so far. It looked fun to play but not anything I needed to rush to buy, as someone that got all the achievements in Isaac.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Serephina posted:

I don't think the last stage specifically has less cover than the first couple. But either way, here's a couple things that haven't been said:

• sometimes you don't want to dodge the whole spread that the dogs shoot at you, you only need to move a little bit to get out of the way of the center bullet, and then let the outer bullet pass by. aka

just make a single little tap of WASD instead of holding it down, to move the minimal amount of movement to get out of the way, and not overdodge. if there are a lot of dogs shooting at you, you can keep making little taps of movement in the same direction to gradually move, and they'll keep missing as long as none of them are perpendicular to you. it becomes impractical while looping but generally, if possible it's good to make small adjustments instead of big ones so you're less likely to move into more danger.
  • don't respect snow tanks until they are actually aimed and about to shoot at you. they're pretty passive and don't do contact damage, so you can hug right up against them without fear. also, the closer you are to them the easier it is to get out of the way of their attack, because you don't have to move far to get on the other side of them.
  • this is a more general NT thing, but putting enemies in hitstun is really good, which is one of the reasons you want to be aggressive. enemies can't attack while in hitstun, they don't do contact damage, and for snowdogs specifically it can interfere with their shots because their bullets' direction is based on the direction they're moving during their roll animation-so shooting them and knocking them back right before they fire can make them shoot backwards uselessly.
    this is the most important point tbh. you can frequently get right up in an enemy's face safely if you're shooting, and you usually want to be spamming shots around or shooting preemptively if you/an enemy is coming around a corner. being aggressive will also help you clear out space and get to somewhere where there actually is cover.

I was looking thru my old NT videos for instances of bad cover on 5-3, and I think this timestamp is the example that may be the most helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ppPXUz562o&t=470s
I'm just using a revolver but I can still be aggressive and bully the enemies even though I can't kill them very quickly.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
An important thing about Lil' Hunter, in my experience, is that you absolutely want to be moving, planning, and preparing the instant you enter his stage. If you started in a cramped little niche and/or with enemies close enough to get up in your face while you fight the boss, you want to immediately set about clearing out some breathing room for you to sprint around in. A single huge open space won't help you all that much - you want a couple of corners to dodge around if you get overwhelmed.

Expect Hunter, listen for his scream, be ready for him, be free of distractions, and be prepared to dodge out of the way of his initial landing. As soon as he hits the ground, go absolutely homicidally apeshit on him, weaving or darting around corners as needed to avoid that wall of bouncy bullets he does (since trying to tank that, or attempting to thread the needle through it and loving up, will for sure kill you on the spot).

Alternatively, have an assault shotgun and shotgun shoulders and just turn the entire area into a sea of red-hot buckshot as soon as you see the little fucker :v:

(I think it's a neat little detail that Lil' Hunter's shots don't damage cops, while cop shots do damage him. Supposedly there's some deep lore about him being a former elite cop who went nuts due to radiation or something, and the cops all see him as a huge threat to be eliminated, while he's under the delusion that he's still one of them.)

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 7, 2020

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Alternatively, if you have the tunneling perk you can make a little ring shaped track to hide in and take the fight slowly while peeking him.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Get Post Void. It's nuts.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1285670/Post_Void/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

An important thing about Lil' Hunter, in my experience, is that you absolutely want to be moving, planning, and preparing the instant you enter his stage. If you started in a cramped little niche and/or with enemies close enough to get up in your face while you fight the boss, you want to immediately set about clearing out some breathing room for you to sprint around in. A single huge open space won't help you all that much - you want a couple of corners to dodge around if you get overwhelmed.

This is my main advice as well. Sometimes your spawn-in location sucks and it makes this level a lot more challenging. If you do find yourself out in the open, and you don't have the digging mutation or an explosive weapon to make your own hidey-hole with (bazooka is a fantastic weapon up until you blow yourself up...could be worth keeping for this level), start running past enemies and looking for a corridor to fight Lil' Hunter in. Problem being, the more time you spend searching for cover, the less time you have to clear that cover out before he spawns.

This level is definitely a roadblock for many players, because it mandates a much higher degree of aggression than most other levels do. The good news is that it teaches you the skills you need to handle the remaining levels; it's not uncommon for someone's first Lil' Hunter kill to also be their first winning run.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Turin Turambar posted:

I reached the second area in Undermine. I’m going to sound harsh but,
What’s the main selling point here? What’s the highlight? The thing you have that others don’t have?

It seems to be Link to the Past nostalgia mainly. But my experience is, since its copying it so hard, every time it deviates it pisses me off because in almost every case the choice that Undermine makes is the inferior one. Such as the existence of the jump, the fact that you can't just pick up and throw the bombs, the low fuse of the bombs, you dont have a sword you have a pickaxe, you dont have a boomerang you just throw your pickaxe, how the art style is extremely similar but just... i dunno, thicker? uglier? It's just unpleasant to look at for me.

I think Tangledeep looks about a zillion times better.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 7, 2020

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I don't think I have the right amount of drugs to properly enjoy this game. (Get Post Void)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

I don't think I have the right amount of drugs to properly enjoy this game. (Get Post Void)

I'm just drinking coffee and this poo poo's fun. You can actually do some pretty interesting builds, but they only start emerging around stage 5 or so. I would recommend always picking up the +health whenever it's available though. It gives you a little more breathing room and takes some of the pressure off.

For those interested, most of the runs are really fast, 1-5 minutes. I guess a full run would be something in the neighborhood of 10-12 minutes. That doesn't sound like much, but it's 10 minutes of non-stop, no time to think action. It may not be immediately apparent but there are a lot of tactical decisions you make as you play. Also, it's only 2 bucks. Get it, you will absolutely get 2 bucks of fun out of it.