Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Trying to decide if I want to get BPM, myself. SkillUp seems pretty enamored of it, claiming there're weapons he hasn't used at all 20 hours in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V684o6wBaSQ

I trust this review due to the extremely correct opinion expressed on the wall behind him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Serephina posted:

I could literally be game of the year and I wouldn't give that video the time of the day due to that loving clickbait title. Christ almighty fire your marketing team.

"[game name] is one of my favourite games of 2020" is an extremely normal title

e: it's actually the literal opposite of clickbait because it's telling you the result of the review before you watch the video

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I figured they meant the giant PLEASE DON'T SKIP THIS in the thumbnail rather than the actual title.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's in reference to the game, not the video. lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Algorithm makes for annoying video practices and thumbnails out of necessity, and I ignore them :shrug: I generally find his game reviews good even where we disagree.

As for the game itself, I've played a couple hours now, and the filter/artistic style... well, it's a style??? It doesn't add anything, but I was also mostly right earlier, to my eyes anyway: it doesn't significantly detract from playability. At least, once I turned it down in the settings - each of four levels has their saturation individually controlled, and the default 100% is way too much. 80% I think hits the mark.

Strangely - and perhaps heretically - turning on motion blur at about 0.4 strength both looks better and really seemed to help enemies and projectiles pop out more against the background when in motion (read: all the time).

Anyway visuals aside I'm just going to quote an earlier post because it's correct in all necessary regards

victrix posted:

The world is now a sharply divided place:

Those who love BPM

and

People who aren't my friends

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Turin Turambar posted:

To give more data:

I guess I'll give it another shot when it hits 1.0 if it's still on Game Pass, but so far the core-loop just isn't' there and way too samey in all the rooms playing out the same. And the weird "its fast-paced" but kinda requires you to play a lot more careful and deliberately slow just clashes with the attrition-system given it has bullet-hell aspects but without i-frames. We'll see, I didn't play more than an couple hrs of it but it didn't make me go "OK GOD DAMNIT THAT WAS A BULLSHIT DEATH SO CLOSE! oK one more run this will be my last I SWEAR TO GOD...." "ok... poo poo one more...". *4AM arrives suddenly* "ah gently caress i've got to be up for work in 4 hrs but just one more run...". Like Gunfire has a lot of variety-problems but it feels a lot more fun to keep trying again and don't notice how samey each room plays out as much as it sticks out in ScourgeBringer. Maybe the 1.,0 update will just completely revamp everything from the rooms to gameplay to interesting and insane OP builds to strive for

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 16, 2020

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Hades is releasing for the Switch today, likely in less than an hour. I'm so hyped!!!!!!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy loving poo poo. Bullets Per Minute plays about as good as it looks.

I couldn't stomach playing it for any extended amount of time but here are the highlights:
It looks worse in motion when you're playing it.
You know the joke about video game shoguns having pellets that disappear 2 meters in front of you? What if the starter pistol literally did that and then told you "Too Far!" when you tried shooting from farther than melee range?
It looks nauseating.
Enemies just glide around with broken looking animation and I haven't noticed them attacking to the beat or anything.
I couldn't stand looking at it.
What if we had enemies shoot projectiles for you to dodge but the projectiles were barely visible because of the lovely graphics?
The visuals are awful. Did I mention that?

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Apparently crosssave isnt in the switch version of Hades yet, so if you are like me and have a few dozen hours in the pc version and was hoping to hop right in where you left off, you can totally wait to buy it til they update it to actually let you do that.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
New roguelike from Seth Alter, featuring Hebrew unicode characters. AZAZEL: https://subalterngames.itch.io/azazel

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beat BPM on easy with the first character. Fun game but some of the combos kinda trivialize everything and if you don't find one of the real good items its pretty frustrating.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Wildtortilla posted:

Hades is releasing for the Switch today, likely in less than an hour. I'm so hyped!!!!!!

This also means PC hit 1.0 and got the final ending and whatnot.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I think I'm done with Slay the Spire. It was fun for a while but now that I'm Ascension 17 it's just not fun anymore. The balance is so tight now that I feel like I just get hosed by the RNG all the time. I'll just die and feel like I genuinely was not offered the cards I needed to survive. I just died to the statue head and was never offered enough scaling to actually kill him. I just saw it was him and was like well I'm probably dead. I'm sure there's people who like that kind of tuning, but for me if I die in a roguelike and I can't think of something I could have done better to win then I just don't see a point in even playing it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I don’t find any of the Ascension levels interesting, to be honest. Maybe I’m just bad, but I feel the game’s design is strongest at A0.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Phigs posted:

I think I'm done with Slay the Spire. It was fun for a while but now that I'm Ascension 17 it's just not fun anymore. The balance is so tight now that I feel like I just get hosed by the RNG all the time. I'll just die and feel like I genuinely was not offered the cards I needed to survive. I just died to the statue head and was never offered enough scaling to actually kill him. I just saw it was him and was like well I'm probably dead. I'm sure there's people who like that kind of tuning, but for me if I die in a roguelike and I can't think of something I could have done better to win then I just don't see a point in even playing it.

I mean tbh in those cases you just avoid elites in areas where you know you don't have the kit to potentially deal with every type of elite spawn.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It was a map where both ways through that point had an elite.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

megane posted:

I don’t find any of the Ascension levels interesting, to be honest. Maybe I’m just bad, but I feel the game’s design is strongest at A0.
A20 is really good primarily as a test of skill and way to see how good players are relative to each other, because even the best players lose a lot of their A20 runs, and so win percentages differ even among top players.

IMO a lot of the most interesting sts strategy(like the following) mostly has to do with how the game works at high ascension levels, while at lower difficulty you can sort of 'force' certain deck types, instead of having to be more adaptable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vouas6s6rCk

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Just got the ascension 19 with an ironclad with the first status deck I';ve ever played. 3 of the cards that deal damage to every enemy when you draw a status, 1 card where you draw 2 cards every time you draw a status. And then a bunch of cards that add status to your deck. Was pretty insane, but only really got there because I got a decent shell for it in a pandora's box relic swap.

That's back-to-back wins. Not sure if complete variance or complaining about the game got me out of tilt. But either way I still think long-term I'm not going to want to keep playing ascensions over maybe 15.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

StS was fun for me, but... I never got to reliably beat the game at A1.... in reality it isn't my 'type' of game I guess.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I liked StS and still break it out from time to time but never have really dug into the Ascensions at all. Meanwhile in Monster Train I've hit Covenant 23, and would probably be maxed out if I wasn't determined to always progress with whatever combination has the lowest previous win (currently Awoken/Umbra at Covenant 4). Really struggling to get that combo past 24.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

IronicDongz posted:

A20 is really good primarily as a test of skill and way to see how good players are relative to each other, because even the best players lose a lot of their A20 runs, and so win percentages differ even among top players.

IMO a lot of the most interesting sts strategy(like the following) mostly has to do with how the game works at high ascension levels, while at lower difficulty you can sort of 'force' certain deck types, instead of having to be more adaptable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vouas6s6rCk

The counter to that way of thinking is that when you get to higher ascension levels there are decks that just don't work, and cards that just are traps. I got a lot of fun out of sts, and the first 10 or so ascension levels felt not that bad to me. The 10-15 or so were alright in a sort of challenge mode feeling, but 15-20 just pressures out too much of the game for me to enjoy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Personally I really couldn't get into Slay the Spire. It felt like a slog every time.

Monster Train though. That's some real poo poo. New expansion for it is great too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phigs posted:

I think I'm done with Slay the Spire. It was fun for a while but now that I'm Ascension 17 it's just not fun anymore. The balance is so tight now that I feel like I just get hosed by the RNG all the time.

Slay the Spire was originally designed to cap at Ascension 15. The higher Ascensions were added later at the request of hardcore players who wanted a greater challenge. If you can streak A15 wins then you're as good as anyone should ever expect to be.

Also you should try out the Downfall mod. The Downfall game mode is crazy but fun, and you can also take the Boss characters into Standard mode if you fancy a romp. I'm working on A20 with Guardian, but A19 wasn't that hard.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Gordian Quest is also shaping up Nicely, even if leaning a bit harder in the RPG realms---though the next Big Update in a couple-few months is adding a more explicitly "StS" styled Gauntlet mode in parallel.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/981430/Gordian_Quest/

Honestly, there's at least a few more Strong Card'ish Roguelike'ish games coming in the next weeks sprawling all sorts of ways---so slick successors beyond and in addition to Monster Train are only a matter of time.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
You don't need to play ascension, it is not the way to play the game. I think roguelikes have a very weird energy to them, when I stopped trying to play the game by the terms of expectation of what I felt as 'proper' or via the community I had a lot more fun. I'm glad more roguelikes have opened themselves up to this kind of playstyle. Even ADOM has an adventure mode. It's also the kind of thing where it's okay not to wring any more blood from that stone by forcing yourself to see and do everything until you dislike the experience.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah 'game not fun on EX+Alpha difficulty' isn't a failing of you or the game, it's just an optional thing that's there for some people, it's not The One True Experience

(I'll reserve commentary on the idiocy of putting meaningful content behind said difficulty, hi Dead Cells)

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Completed ascension 20 and got all the achievements done. Thinking back on it I think the achievement was driving me to play in an unfun way. Kinda reminds me of when I was doing achievements in EU4 and got down to all those "start as a tiny shitkicker nation and hope nobody kills you for a while" achievements that ultimately made me stop playing. The game would probably have been straight up better for me if it didn't have that achievement. The devs should probably have not tied an achievement to completing the mode if it's not really meant to be done by most players. I get that there's a view of achievements as just a reward for doing crazy things, but I think too many players (like myself) treat them more like collectables for that approach to be a good idea.

On the plus side I now feel like I can potter around on lower ascensions just trying things out. That status deck turned out to be more powerful than I would have thought, it's the one that got me through a20, but I'd never have tried it while pushing ascensions if pandora didn't drop it in my lap that one time.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 18, 2020

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Man, y'all remember Ultima Ratio Regum? That guy's still working on it! Fuckin' legend.

https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/2020/08/15/ultima-ratio-regum-0-8-finale-update-ix/

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

Unormal posted:

Ok 201.26 up on beta, click the little dot to turn it red on the prerelease stage message long and it won't jump around anymore. (You still have to position it each game, but I'll fix that to save position as an eventuality)

Thanks so much for this; I finally managed to grok the UI well enough to break the game's surface tension. I'd also like to apologize for my very harsh words about the UI. It's a bit janky but not worthy of being called, ahem, "dogshit".

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Zedlic posted:

Thanks so much for this; I finally managed to grok the UI well enough to break the game's surface tension. I'd also like to apologize for my very harsh words about the UI. It's a bit janky but not worthy of being called, ahem, "dogshit".

Deserved.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Got a question for you people who've played a robot named fight. I've found a room that appears to have been generated with a dead end, unless I'm missing something (or have unlocked some sort of phasing ability I haven't found?). Already checked all the walls, and sprayed lightning gun around to try to find a hidden switch in the wall or something. Any ideas?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

ZypherIM posted:

Got a question for you people who've played a robot named fight. I've found a room that appears to have been generated with a dead end, unless I'm missing something (or have unlocked some sort of phasing ability I haven't found?). Already checked all the walls, and sprayed lightning gun around to try to find a hidden switch in the wall or something. Any ideas?

is that thing in the middle of the ceiling not an exit

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

There are walls on both sides of that platform that block it off.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

ZypherIM posted:

There are walls on both sides of that platform that block it off.
Oh. It looks like there might be an exit in the top left? There's a hole in the ceiling.

e: or maybe that's just discoloration, dunno

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Figured it out, there is an upgrade I haven't had before that lets you go through walls (phase shell). Thanks though!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I started playing Atomicrops today, I clocked in 3.5 hours (around 8 tries?). Alas I'm no good in this kind of games, only in my last run I reached the third boss, a tractor. From what I can see in the wiki, it seems there are some permanent upgrades although funnily enough I still couldn't unlock anything because first I need to find whatever npc in the game itself (ant builder?).

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I saw someone stream this weird-rear end survival-horror roguelite game today
Golden Light

quote:

Welcome to the Meat Zone
Prop Hunt where PROPS HUNT YOU. Also it's a horror roguelike!
"It’s provided a unique kind of anxiety and bizarre durability management where i try to decide which healing weapon is best." - LosfrailonesMan

Golden Light is a procedural dark comedy horror game with roguelike elements and an eerie atmosphere.
Descend into the depths of the Gut to save your loved one.

Procedural levels!
Randomized weapons!
Procedural spooks!
Talking BICYCLE!
Talking DUDE IN THE TOILET !
Things you can eat or throw in this game: Bat Head, Corrupted Fetus, Fish Head, Fat Lips, Meat Apple and many more!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's really unique. I'd hesitate to say it's "good" but I rather enjoy it. Big issue is it really needs some more perk variety I think.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Didn't think I'd see the day where PS1 retro graphics become a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Got my first Easy win in Golden Krone Hotel using the Cultist! I was uh, not expecting that choice at the end. If you don't forgive Fane, is it a proper big rear end fight with another ring loot and then a super boss somewhere to find? Is there also a ring in Hell somewhere? I know I didn't end the run with a full 8 rings that I've heard of.

Also learned the power of on demand statue form via Calcify. drat is that good for dealing with Sun Golems and other elemental bullshit.