Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I think Dungeonmans may be the closest one that's a fantasy game.

(I'd reccomend DoomRL - personally my biggest problem in Crawl is remembering what.monsters do what and are resistant to what and etc. and DoomRL has basically none of that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Desktop Dungeons is basically my go to example of a perfect roguelike. Lunchbreak game. Able to be installed anywhere, easily playable in a short window, very repeatable. Something engaging enough to zen with but not so much you can't step away. The OG version I think did this better even if the relaunch is a better game ultimately.

Additionally, Minesweeper is a great roguelike.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pladdicus posted:

:hmmyes:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Desktop Dungeons is basically my go to example of a perfect roguelike. Lunchbreak game. Able to be installed anywhere, easily playable in a short window, very repeatable. Something engaging enough to zen with but not so much you can't step away. The OG version I think did this better even if the relaunch is a better game ultimately.

Was solitaire the original roguelike??

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Well, it has the problem where your game is over but you need to go through the motions to find out you were dead on your feet all along.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jack Trades posted:

Fair enough.

Dungeonmans, Sproggiwood, Tangledeep?
Jupiter Hell is a classic roguelike that's easy to get into but not fantasy themed.

Yeah, Sproggiwood is great if he's looking for something super chill. I loved the presentation but never felt like the items or difficulty were quite deep enough. I think I beat it first try and never went back (and I'm really bad at this entire genre, I think Dreadmor and FTL are the only other two I've ever managed to beat).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Sloppy posted:

Yeah, Sproggiwood is great if he's looking for something super chill. I loved the presentation but never felt like the items or difficulty were quite deep enough. I think I beat it first try and never went back (and I'm really bad at this entire genre, I think Dreadmor and FTL are the only other two I've ever managed to beat).

Iirc, after you beat the game you unlock hard mode that has proper difficulty.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jack Trades posted:

Fair enough.

Jupiter Hell is a classic roguelike that's easy to get into but not fantasy themed.

I might throw in Tales of Maj'Eyal, too. It has a lot of variety in the character classes and stuff but I always found the mechanics and UI pretty easy to navigate.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
ToME to me is just a huge labor of love of a roguelike, it’s one of the best games I’ve played

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I might throw in Tales of Maj'Eyal, too. It has a lot of variety in the character classes and stuff but I always found the mechanics and UI pretty easy to navigate.

Eh, you're not wrong but the reason why I didn't include it is because making actual progress through the game isn't straightforward.
You spend like half an hour mindlessly slaughtering hordes of monsters with no challenge and then a random Rare instakills you out of nowhere before you had the chance to wake up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The thing about FTL is that it's actually not bullshit, at all. Good players can win like 95% of Hard mode runs or more, there are winstreaks of as many as 80 Hard mode runs in a row. The randomness exists but is mostly superficial and above the layer where games are actually won or lost.

Problem is I'd sooner slam my fingers in a doorjam than develop the specific set of skills you need to be that good at FTL.

It's very much like Enter the Breach where the game presents you with several options but only a few are really effective, and a big part of the game is learning how to distinguish those. Afterwards, winning every time is just a matter of always picking the good option.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pladdicus posted:

You've played DemonCrawl right? If not definitely check that out.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Demoncrawl is a hell of a game. It's heavy on the metaprogression, but it's one of the wildest cases of game dev maximalism i've ever seen. You start and you're like "oh, minesweeper and monsters and items, got it", and then you're like "ah, mana." "oh, omens are negative items", "shops and npcs, cool", "elemental aura effects?" "bosses?" "special chests???" "masteries?" "morality system????"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

RoboCicero posted:

Demoncrawl is a hell of a game. It's heavy on the metaprogression, but it's one of the wildest cases of game dev maximalism i've ever seen. You start and you're like "oh, minesweeper and monsters and items, got it", and then you're like "ah, mana." "oh, omens are negative items", "shops and npcs, cool", "elemental aura effects?" "bosses?" "special chests???" "masteries?" "morality system????"

It's loving wild how many different styles of play you can bring to that game, especially once you get masteries and favored items. Apparently mine is opposed to a lot of folks' based on the fact that two of the jobs I've never unlocked are some of the most-earned according to achievements.

The multi-player/autobattler mode is also loving wild and I love running it while I do podcast edits, it's actually taught me some better play strategies at times.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Wait I dabbled in DemonCrawl before but

RoboCicero posted:

"morality system????"

What?

secretly best girl posted:

multi-player/autobattler

What???

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

well hey DemonCrawl has mobile ports, gonna try it there

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Zorbus is another that has ascended to a high enough level to rumble with the bigger names---rather quickly at that in the grand scheme of things.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Zorbus is another that has ascended to a high enough level to rumble with the bigger names---rather quickly at that in the grand scheme of things.

Agreed, I just downloaded this a few days ago and it's pretty interesting and hard so far. Been burying characters on the first floor over and over.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Arzaac posted:

What?

What???

Both post launch additions. I haven't heavily messed with the MP mode but it's like an asymmetrical thing where you build your own minesweeper dungeons with different unlockable twists and gimmicks and other players can choose to try and beat them and they get rewarded for surviving and you get rewarded if they die. It's one of the most delightfully bloated games I've ever played, lol

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Arzaac posted:

What?

What???

The morality system doesn't play in for most runs but some jobs/items/stage mods/the Holiday event make mention. If you kill monsters, get a Legendary item, or for every 5 coins of treasure you leave behind as a "Charitable" bonus on a stage, +1 morality. Every stranger you kill, or Omen you gain drops it -1. A few items make reference to your absolute morality stat, and the Human class does wild things based off of it.

As for the auto-battler: you pick from a class and a "home stage" at the beginning, and then it shuffles you through other people's levels at random. They have their own inventory, stage mods, etc., you're trying to be the last man standing. You can spend coins on leveling up the stage (making it bigger, more monsters, add mods or bosses), buying items for yourself, or sometimes hitting a third bonus between levels. It comes in automatic and manual modes. It's real fun.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I decided to check out Roguebook and it is both gorgeous and loving rad. Building out the capabilities and unlocking talents for each of your two heroes feels excellent each run and the dance of swapping each of them from the front and back position is satisfying and extremely my poo poo.

I'm glad I decided to try it out after bouncing off Monster Train hard. I've been looking for something new after hitting ~120 hours in Griftlands and opting to give it a break for a bit. This is also me taking a moment to shill for Griftlands, that game is loving incredible.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Enjoying Vivid Knight quite a bit, but I know I'm probably less than week from feeling like I've 'beaten it as much as I care to beat it'. What should I jump on next?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

RoboCicero posted:

Ok, Demoncrawl didn't seem that interesting before but maybe I need to give it another look lol

Not like I need more roguelikes

always more roguelikes

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Oh, and once you clear a Hard campaign in Demoncrawl, the dailies do some wild poo poo (and can be repeated if you wanna bring in a different class or gear). "Every time you unveil a 5+ you gain a curse for that board" will set you up for some wild cascades.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

demoncrawl apparently involves way more than i ever anticipated

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
In Rift Wizard, it feels like I consistently run into a point around level 7-9 where I just run out of mana potions, rifts aren't offering mana potions and I die like that.
I've been playing pretty efficiently with my spells because I know I'm gonna run out of them eventually but am I just not getting silly builds fast enough?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Demoncrawl first run report: something dealt 8 damage to me (max life: 5) _after_ I cleared a level. I should probably read what all the items I was picking up were supposed to do.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

In Rift Wizard, it feels like I consistently run into a point around level 7-9 where I just run out of mana potions, rifts aren't offering mana potions and I die like that.
I've been playing pretty efficiently with my spells because I know I'm gonna run out of them eventually but am I just not getting silly builds fast enough?

You're probably making mistakes in rift choice, either the wrong for your spell loadout or just not valuing mana potions high enough. You may also not be using non-mana consumables to get "free" rift clears when appropriate (dragon horn in particular is very valuable pre-15 or so, as is spikeball when you have the right enemy loadout).

What sort of builds have you been getting stonewalled on?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Honestly I haven't really played Demoncrawl in almost a year, as fond as I am of it. All this "Special Chest" stuff looks kind of cool. I've always had Electric as my go-to mastery especially because it seems like the most consistent way to kill bosses and I hate dealing with their bullshit, but are there some other cool ones I should try? I played Scout a bunch too when I was new.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You're probably making mistakes in rift choice, either the wrong for your spell loadout or just not valuing mana potions high enough. You may also not be using non-mana consumables to get "free" rift clears when appropriate (dragon horn in particular is very valuable pre-15 or so, as is spikeball when you have the right enemy loadout).

There are some skills that will replenish spell casts as well. Dark Harevest has a 10% chance of replenishing on kill, and appears to work when you have a nightmare aura or minions out.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Jack Trades posted:

Fair enough.

ive played a bunch of dungeonmans and sproggiwood, ive not really played tangledeep because i didnt like the character design

im really looking for something with a ton of character options like DCSS, but where i can actually get a bit further without being killed by yaks at random somehow

ive also not played keeperRL despite it looking interesting because the main character design is offputting

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

ive played a bunch of dungeonmans and sproggiwood, ive not really played tangledeep because i didnt like the character design

im really looking for something with a ton of character options like DCSS, but where i can actually get a bit further without being killed by yaks at random somehow

ive also not played keeperRL despite it looking interesting because the main character design is offputting

Tales of Maj'Eyal is probably the best choice out of what you haven't played, it's got great character build potential and tunable difficulty.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

goferchan posted:

Honestly I haven't really played Demoncrawl in almost a year, as fond as I am of it. All this "Special Chest" stuff looks kind of cool. I've always had Electric as my go-to mastery especially because it seems like the most consistent way to kill bosses and I hate dealing with their bullshit, but are there some other cool ones I should try? I played Scout a bunch too when I was new.

Scout is one I was going to point at, Witch is slept on way too often because it's one of the only things that can do pure damage mitigation, not just "reduce to 1" (and it can also let you shed particularly nasty stage mods, too). Guardian has it as well in a more limited route, rendering you immune to life loss aside from damage (ie, shrug off some omens/curses). Now that Firefly grants burn immunity, that plus a couple of items can turn you into a monster/boss-slaying combo machine. Demolitionist is fun but incredibly hazardous to your health unless you get a good item for it. However, it can also take some of the guesswork out of a bad field since you can HURL barrels instead of just clicking to explosion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sab Sabbington posted:

I decided to check out Roguebook and it is both gorgeous and loving rad. Building out the capabilities and unlocking talents for each of your two heroes feels excellent each run and the dance of swapping each of them from the front and back position is satisfying and extremely my poo poo.

Unlocking Aurora is a massive pain compared to unlocking Siefer, though. It's random if you even get to try, and depending where Aurora and her Teacup spawn you may know they're there but not be able to reach them both because of the inks you're given.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Has anyone tried Unexplored 2? I loved the first one and didn't notice the second one was out*.

*EA, Epic, a given value of "out"

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Jedit posted:

Unlocking Aurora is a massive pain compared to unlocking Siefer, though. It's random if you even get to try, and depending where Aurora and her Teacup spawn you may know they're there but not be able to reach them both because of the inks you're given.

Oh it would appear that I got extremely lucky then because I unlocked her on my second run.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Fat Samurai posted:

Has anyone tried Unexplored 2? I loved the first one and didn't notice the second one was out*.

I'll check it out once it's out of Early-access Games Store.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I've been getting better lately about rift choice I feel, stuff like 'don't go into the rift with iron + copper imps when you're running chain lightning' and stuff like that. But I do fall for the old trap of saving consumables for when I'm already shafted / running out of mana.

I really like chain lightning for clearing rifts full of ghosts and witches. And I usually take mega-annihilate and deathcleave when I get the points for them, and the angry dead or whatever the kills to skeleton spell is. I guess I'll just be less stingy with the consumables and try to find those synergies harder.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Oh hey Roguebook has full controller support now too. Time to give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I think it'll be good, but needs some more time in the oven. I've enjoyed mucking around in it, but the bug frustration factor is still pretty high. (Especially since in a game about secrets and hidden things, the mere suspicion that floor generation might have broken erases a lot of fun.) That said, I find the world map and game flow satisfying and evocative, and I've always felt pretty good when I had a run really hit its stride.

Probably wait for the release version (...or, I don't know, check back in a few months?) unless you have the itch something fierce.