Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Farquar posted:

I have no problem with people who say that. That's a wonderful opinion to have. I'm talking about the people who literally said "It sucks" or "It's nothing but bad design decisions".

I'm now starting to think that one of those people may have been sarcastic and I missed it though.
No, Jedit is just like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Synthetik is kind of subtle about building your character, there are several different upgrade systems running at once that you may or may not get the ability to access in each run. In some runs you'll never find weapon upgrade kits, or body upgrades, or powerful guns, or good items. You never have a clue what upgrades are coming to you in future levels, but none of the upgrades you choose now 'lock you in' to a specific build or playstyle. So instead of making choices based on, for example, what Attack augment you chose or what Cast augment you chose, you make choices based on what suits the way you play and what suits the weapons and items you've found. There's almost never any clear, obvious answer about what to upgrade or what to choose. Personally I love that, though I can also see why game design has partially shifted away from it for the mass market.

And with that I think I've realized what made Hades as popular as it was; it was designed with the mass market in mind. That's not a bad thing and doesn't make it a bad game and I'm not posting it as a negative, I just think it's the explanation for why it's 10x more popular than other games in the genre - it took out the grognard things which are barriers for entry to a lot of gamers.

KNR
May 3, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

you should try wizard of legend, it's like hades with a lower budget and no story, and it's a lot harder imo. the metaprogression comes in the form of unlocking the multitude of different spells the game has on offer. and you can get new wizard robes & hat with (seemingly) small bonuses.

Wizard of Legend is one of the games I was thinking of when I made my previous post. Besides the general focus on cooldown cycling which I'm not a fan of, it felt like 80% of my time in an actual run was spent being bored, either walking or fighting a handful of enemies too easy to be interesting but too damaging to rush through.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Hades is a snappy, great-feeling action game in it's heart with a lot of interesting weapons, abilities, and unlockable upgrades to switch between. It's not terribly deep- most synergies are pretty obvious with a little thought, enemies are very basic and have easy answers even with builds not 'equipped' to deal with them, and there's more then a few 'I Win' setups- but it feels good to play and none of it feels 'bad'- some folks might not like a weapon class or two, but there's fans of all weapons and even all aspects. The game is quick and fun and a good quick way to throw down an hour and feel like you got something out of it.

It's also one of those cases where the presentation absolutely makes the game because too many roguelikes eventually start to make runs that fail in early levels a waste of time. In Hades though you end up back home and turns out Hypnos has a comment on how you died and Dad has some fresh new snark to throw your way (somehow, still, dozens of hours and over a hundred failed runs in) and it turns out hey, Achilles and Nyx are hanging out with new dialog to advance their plotlines so you get a moment to chill out and think about something besides how lovely that last run is so you're fresh when you get back to stand in front of the Mirror of Night thinking of what to change up for the next try. This is Supergiant's greatest trick in Hades. They took the worst part of any Roguelike- the quick feedbackless, timewasted failure- and both gave it a reward of it's own by giving you stuff that progresses even on bad runs without feeling like pity pandering, and did so in such a way you're likely not going into the next run mad unless you're just not here for anything besides pure gameplay in your roguelike, which is a goddamn amazing bit of design philosophy and a master class on why presentation loving matters.

Like, I've just spent a hundred hours with Gunfire Reborn and it's night and day how bad it feels to die in LongLing Tomb on Ressurection 4+ in Gunfire versus dying in Asphodel on a 20+ Heat run in Hades- I'm usually done for the night after more than one of the former, while I'll get right back to it in Hades... after a break to talk with Dusa about her chores. If you're mostly just mad there's too much fluff between you and your run, Hades is probably the wrong game. But that doesn't detract from how strong all the moving parts of Hades feed to each other.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have a strong distaste for several of hades’ decisions, such as extremely vertical metaprogression and options within a run to either get more metacurrency or help your current run, but it’s also one of my favorite roguelites ever which I sunk over a hundred hours into and was a joy to experience from top to bottom, so it turns out those issues are pretty unimportant at the end of the day. hats off to supergiant.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

deep dish peat moss posted:

Synthetik is kind of subtle about building your character, there are several different upgrade systems running at once that you may or may not get the ability to access in each run. In some runs you'll never find weapon upgrade kits, or body upgrades, or powerful guns, or good items. You never have a clue what upgrades are coming to you in future levels, but none of the upgrades you choose now 'lock you in' to a specific build or playstyle. So instead of making choices based on, for example, what Attack augment you chose or what Cast augment you chose, you make choices based on what suits the way you play and what suits the weapons and items you've found. There's almost never any clear, obvious answer about what to upgrade or what to choose. Personally I love that, though I can also see why game design has partially shifted away from it for the mass market.

And with that I think I've realized what made Hades as popular as it was; it was designed with the mass market in mind. That's not a bad thing and doesn't make it a bad game and I'm not posting it as a negative, I just think it's the explanation for why it's 10x more popular than other games in the genre - it took out the grognard things which are barriers for entry to a lot of gamers.

This sounds rad and I'm upset I didn't buy it was $5 recently. Looks like I'm waiting for the Steam sale next month.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Locke posted:

It's also one of those cases where the presentation absolutely makes the game because too many roguelikes eventually start to make runs that fail in early levels a waste of time. In Hades though you end up back home and turns out Hypnos has a comment on how you died and Dad has some fresh new snark to throw your way (somehow, still, dozens of hours and over a hundred failed runs in) and it turns out hey, Achilles and Nyx are hanging out with new dialog to advance their plotlines so you get a moment to chill out and think about something besides how lovely that last run is so you're fresh when you get back to stand in front of the Mirror of Night thinking of what to change up for the next try. This is Supergiant's greatest trick in Hades. They took the worst part of any Roguelike- the quick feedbackless, timewasted failure- and both gave it a reward of it's own by giving you stuff that progresses even on bad runs without feeling like pity pandering, and did so in such a way you're likely not going into the next run mad unless you're just not here for anything besides pure gameplay in your roguelike, which is a goddamn amazing bit of design philosophy and a master class on why presentation loving matters.

See, that's another thing I didn't like about it :v: When I die in a run I just want to click a button on a menu to start a new one ASAP. I don't want to talk to NPCs or hear dialog or see who they're hanging out with or turn in metacurrency to unlock new rugs for the hub. It was a punishment to me, not a reward.

I find these discussions in this thread very interesting every time because it opens my eyes to how subjective liking literally any game is and where all different viewpoints on a game come from. As an artist who has been designing a game primarily as a vehicle for my art it's helpful for me to understand what makes that kind of stuff fun and engaging in games for people who like it, because despite making a game heavily based on it, it's not my kinda thing.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 18, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Farquar posted:

Should I jump straight to Synthetik 2?

Absolutely not. It's nowhere near finished and also it's a pretty different game so it's best to start with the first one.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Incidentally, Synthetik is not only one of the games with absolute best gunfeel I have ever played, but also probably the only game I played with weapon upgrades where I seriously have to consider damage output vs handling, because the handling system and fairly intricate and some upgrades might give you way bigger numbers but make the gun absolute pain in the rear end to actually use.
It's very VERY good.

With the exception of metaprogression being absolute horseshit but thankfully it's easily negated by just editing your savefile

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Mr. Locke posted:

Hades is a snappy, great-feeling action game in it's heart with a lot of interesting weapons, abilities, and unlockable upgrades to switch between. It's not terribly deep- most synergies are pretty obvious with a little thought, enemies are very basic and have easy answers even with builds not 'equipped' to deal with them, and there's more then a few 'I Win' setups- but it feels good to play and none of it feels 'bad'- some folks might not like a weapon class or two, but there's fans of all weapons and even all aspects. The game is quick and fun and a good quick way to throw down an hour and feel like you got something out of it.

Like, I've just spent a hundred hours with Gunfire Reborn and it's night and day how bad it feels to die in LongLing Tomb on Ressurection 4+ in Gunfire versus dying in Asphodel on a 20+ Heat run in Hades- I'm usually done for the night after more than one of the former, while I'll get right back to it in Hades... after a break to talk with Dusa about her chores. If you're mostly just mad there's too much fluff between you and your run, Hades is probably the wrong game. But that doesn't detract from how strong all the moving parts of Hades feed to each other.

What the gently caress dude, you already had the Objectively Correct people come in to tell you the game is objectively bad, and if you liked it then you're a drooling idiot who only cares about bright lights and shiny colors. I don't see why you can't just accept that you're an uncultured, stupid fuckup and move on?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I simply choose to not tie my personal esteem to which games I enjoy, and thus am invincible to the grognards criticizing my preferences.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jack Trades posted:

Incidentally, Synthetik is not only one of the games with absolute best gunfeel I have ever played, but also probably the only game I played with weapon upgrades where I seriously have to consider damage output vs handling, because the handling system and fairly intricate and some upgrades might give you way bigger numbers but make the gun absolute pain in the rear end to actually use.
It's very VERY good.

With the exception of metaprogression being absolute horseshit but thankfully it's easily negated by just editing your savefile

I laughed so hard the first time i picked up the 420 sniperdragon and figured out what it did

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed Synthetik a lot but I gave up on playing it since either I or my friend would crash before ending a co-op run. That was over a year ago and since then we've both gotten new PCs and I assume the game has been patched a few times so we should probably give it another go.

I've been plugging away at Rift Wizard lately and I'm getting to rift 20+ consistently but have not been able to clear the last few insanely tough rifts. I'm gonna get u Mordred :mad:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Locke posted:

This is true and a large part of why I liked Hades, but I also found that not long after finishing the main storyline I reached a point where I was considerably more interested in the epilogue and the various side stories than I was in actually winning more runs -- I'd reached a point where I didn't want to keep smashing my face into the buzzsaw that was increasing Heat further, but had lost interest in endlessly re-playing the game at lower Heat levels, too. And at that point I just put the game down, because slogging through 40+ minutes¹ of the dungeon over and over again in exchange for a teaspoon of new dialogue each time just wasn't worth it for me.

I think this also makes me the diametric opposite of deep dish peat moss -- rather than wanting a button that skips all the dialogue and just catapults me back into the dungeon, I want a button that skips all the parts of the dungeon that aren't dialogue.

This kind of seems like I really want Hades: the VN, but I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much without the hack-and-slash part; the problem is that as someone who doesn't have the interest (or, frankly, the free time) to achieve the system mastery needed for Heat 20+ to be fun, that part wore thin much faster than the talky bits -- in large part because the structure of the game means you are spending 90% of your time stabbing, and there's a lot less variation in it.

¹ I saw someone earlier posting that they routinely cleared runs in 20 minutes and all I can say is, how the gently caress

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ToxicFrog posted:

¹ I saw someone earlier posting that they routinely cleared runs in 20 minutes and all I can say is, how the gently caress

avoid heat options that increase TTK, and pick good boons, especially from Chaos.

while it's no longer self-multiplicative like it was in open beta / early release, Chaos can still repeatedly give you stacking damage buffs; combine that with someone like Athena or... god, it's been long enough I don't even remember who the other good DPS gods are, but basically big additive buffs x the few remaining instances of separate multiplicative bonuses = hella damage

e: also mirror bonuses are really important, if set-and-forget. if you have a choice between damage output and survivability take damage every time, plus there are some less obvious cases where one damage-boosting buff is way, way better than the other despite being presented as equal

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 18, 2022

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Jedit posted:

Hades is a series of awful design decisions piled on top of each other which is liked because people love to fellate the developer. I checked out fast enough to get a refund when I saw that it had isometric level design but absolute directional controls.

are you trying to play on a keyboard or something

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why wouldn't you play hades on keyboard

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

why wouldn't you play hades on keyboard

i believe it does actually have analog directional movement, so there is a genuine advantage to using a controller -- it's just weighed against how much mouse aim helps. (which itself depends heavily on weapon choice, plus the game has pretty generous auto-aim, so you could definitely go either way)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i believe it does actually have analog directional movement, so there is a genuine advantage to using a controller -- it's just weighed against how much mouse aim helps. (which itself depends heavily on weapon choice, plus the game has pretty generous auto-aim, so you could definitely go either way)

Yeah, I play with M+KB and hearing how everyone who plays on controller thinks that makes me a mutant just makes me wonder if nobody else plays Rail or Bow or uses Dionysus casts because I can't imagine how ankward ranged combat requiring charging or positional aiming must be on controller.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah, I play with M+KB and hearing how everyone who plays on controller thinks that makes me a mutant just makes me wonder if nobody else plays Rail or Bow or uses Dionysus casts because I can't imagine how ankward ranged combat requiring charging or positional aiming must be on controller.

It's extremely easy because on controller your aim automatically snaps to targets when you nudge your joystick anywhere in their general direction

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
yeah hades is absolutely controller focused, you could play kb+m and it probably works, but if you found the game awkward and were playing on that, that might be why. i hit an escalating heat 13 win streak and had to never play again, but i very much enjoy hades.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Bow/Gun are fine on controller, except for the Gun's secondary. You can still use it alright, but it's pretty much impossible to set up precise AoE shots anymore, it just functions as a delayed nuke centered on one target.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
maybe people would like other action roguelikes besides hades if they were also v gay

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think you'll find that if you look at the evidence the two ships in monolith are gay for each other. in this essay I will

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

maybe people would like other action roguelikes besides hades if they were also v gay

oh, so, boyfriend dungeon

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

megane posted:

My main quibble with Hades' currencies is that you're frequently presented with a choice between metacurrency and something useful for your current run, e.g. when presented with a Nectar door and a Heart door. "Never encourage the player to weaken their current run in favor of later runs" is one of the big Rules of Non-Awful Metaprogression.

edit: oh whoops the thread has moved really fast. Lots has been said about Hades but I don't think anyone has corrected this: You are never asked to choose between metaprog and normal prog. All choices will be one category or the other, explicitly.

Hades is a good game, and I'm sorry for the minority who don't like it, but the consensus ship sailed long ago.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 18, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

there are a couple of places where you're prompted to spend gold on metaprogression resources, but that's a lot less aggressive and the most prominent / guaranteed example is at the very end of the run where if you got there then you didn't need that gold to progress anyways

there's still kind of a perverse incentive once you know that shop is there though

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Been playing a bit of Blade Assault - it's pretty good. Cribs a bit from all the major roguelites out there, so there's recognizable elements from a lot of other games.

Worst part is, as ever, the lovely vertical metaprogression that's just +% do better, but it's not super excessive, and there's a bunch of other unlocks that are more characters, more weapon upgrades, more initial tools for runs, more rerolls on random elements in runs, etc, so those are decidedly better than the boring stat upgrade tree.

I feel like it doesn't have quite enough run to run variety to keep people hooked, although the other characters are very cool.

Given that it's all of $18 (and discounted atm), I don't think that's an unreasonable ask, just from what I've seen

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1367300/Blade_Assault/

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anybody played much Fights in Tight Spaces? It looks really cool even though I have at least three other deckbuilders I should probably try to get good at first

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Serephina posted:

edit: oh whoops the thread has moved really fast. Lots has been said about Hades but I don't think anyone has corrected this: You are never asked to choose between metaprog and normal prog. All choices will be one category or the other, explicitly.

Hades is a good game, and I'm sorry for the minority who don't like it, but the consensus ship sailed long ago.

When I was trying to unlock all the weapon aspect upgrades I would typically bank tons of gold starting relatively early in the run to save up for the buyable metaprog currency in the final act, because the gain rate for stuff like Titan Blood was pretty atrocious.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Poor Blade Assault, it released today (or yesterday?) and what in the end people talked from the last 70 posts is Hades instead.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Hades (as well as most games with metaprogression) are really good once you open up CheatEngine and give yourself 99999 of everything so you can actually play the game without having to farm items.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Serephina posted:

Door choices are apparently separated into metacurrency and non-metacurrency, but even there, there are upgrades that give you in-run effects from acquiring metacurrency, so you might have to choose between [Darkness+Healing] and [Nectar].

e: Oh yeah, and I forgot the handful of boons that give you metacurrency; you can be offered that or a "real" boon.

megane fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 18, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's been in beta for a while but the big Nova Drift update that randomizes enemy waves is out, excited to check that out tonight.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

goferchan posted:

It's been in beta for a while but the big Nova Drift update that randomizes enemy waves is out, excited to check that out tonight.

Been playing that too, it's good - but Nova Drift has always been good :v:

I've been on a roguelite kick lately actually, monolith, dead cells, scourgebringer, and now blade assault

... vertical meta progression sucks

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

megane posted:

Door choices are apparently separated into metacurrency and non-metacurrency, but even there, there are upgrades that give you in-run effects from acquiring metacurrency, so you might have to choose between [Darkness+Healing] and [Nectar].

e: Oh yeah, and I forgot the handful of boons that give you metacurrency; you can be offered that or a "real" boon.

You might have to choose between [darkness+healing] and [nectar + rerolls] you mean, which is a fine choice. The boon you're thinking of, Ocean's Bounty, also increases obol income. You can absolutely use it to fuel a build. Or maybe you're thinking of Sunken Treasure, which spits out obols and healing?

I just don't know what to say about the shop thing. Hades fuckin' bends over backwards to make the metaprog not a burden but a pleasure as you progress a dialogue/sotry, but the presence of metaprog just breaks some people and we get these posts. You don't have to buy the thing in the shops, basic shops are a detour, and it's not being presented as an either/or choice; they're a bonus to scoop up if you're doing a +obol build (something that might need the aforementioned boons...) since typically the player only has enough cash to buy a single boon.

Basically, when I see people making GBS threads all over the mechanics it's from people who only touched the game briefly and then spout objectively wrong things. Like you said megane when comparing heart doors to nectar doors (no such thing), which I was responding to. Or repeating with the darkness/nectar choice just now but forgetting that they both have in-run perks. Gah.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

DoubleDonut posted:

Anybody played much Fights in Tight Spaces? It looks really cool even though I have at least three other deckbuilders I should probably try to get good at first

It was okay. I didn't regret it, although I played it in early access, got a couple of wins, and then dropped it. My complaints may or may not be still valid, since I have no idea how the balance changed since-

:frogsiren: These opinions are based on the state of the game when I played it, and may no longer be valid since it's been a year.
The good:
- The game is mostly intuitive and does a good job with a basic tutorial/training section teaching you how the game works
- Setting up cool reactions/combos to make enemies beat each other up feels good
- You can watch a replay the fight after you win, SUPERHOT style, to see all the actions you and the enemy took in something approaching real-time

The bad:
- The tutorial and the UI was not always very good at communicating consequences. Interrupting enemies or triggering enemies intentionally is an extremely important part of the game, but I had to make educated guesses on interactions until I had experimented and could properly identify how they worked
- The UI doesn't really explain what map icons are or why you would path toward specific rewards
- The way fights/enemies scale mean that you can't really expect to benefit from block/retaliation cards in the long run, and that family of cards end up effectively becoming dead draws by the end of the game.
- The game absolutely does not explain any of the force-draw mechanics it uses, so you won't know that you're guaranteed to draw movement every turn.
- The replay system when I played broke when taking certain actions related to returning cards to your hand, so I never got to see replays of later fights since I found those cards to be useful and strong

It's fun, I'd recommend anyone pick it up on sale, but I didn't find it had much long-term staying power nor desire to replay it after I got a couple wins.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
It's better than when Olesh played it, and notably block counter is... semi viable, but some of their concerns are still very relevant and there's an incredibly clear dominant playstyle. it also explains the force draw mechanics now, or rather, there are multiple difficulties with different mechanics for that

It's good for at least your first couple wins imo, and I'm probably going to get all the achievements except the speedrun one without getting overly bored. It's improved significantly from a year ago and has significantly more card variety available, without entirely hamstringing any given playstyle because you will get waaaaaay more card offerings than you will actually take.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Thanks to everyone who gave their thoughts on Caves of Qud earlier, it is a fun game and the aesthetic and writing are totally fantastic even the balance feels a bit off. I get that it's probably supposed to be one of those games where breaking the game is the objective but it does feel like you have to go out of your way to avoid certain things that are just broken by design like beguiling and domination. I generally prefer games with a more tactical approach but it's a fun change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DoubleDonut posted:

I have a love/hate relationship with FITS. I love the general flow of the game, the core concept, the slick post-battle replays that make you feel like a badass, and how dynamic the combat can feel. I love how each of the bosses has something that makes them unique, making some strategies better and others worse, so you have to diversify your strategies and/or get creative with how you use them. I love that you can push Mook A into Mook B, making Mook A instinctively punch Mook B, which activates his counterattack response and makes him stab and kill Mook A. I love the combo system that rewards you for staying in place, bringing enemies to you, and flowing one move into the next.

I hate how some of the enemies just punish you for having fun if you don't have the exact right build. I hate the gun guys who autoshoot you for walking into their line of sight. I hate the snowballing that happens with most of your upgrades coming from optional objectives and locations that can result in you just never getting more actions per turn because you don't have the right build for the randomly-chosen objective type that gets you more action points. I hate how some builds are just actively detrimental to try to use, because they're slow-and-steady but a solid half of the optional objectives are about quickly clearing or moving across the map.

FITS is a game that I think everyone should buy if they're interested in the concept... but maybe wait for it to go on sale.

Olesh posted:

The bad:
- The tutorial and the UI was not always very good at communicating consequences. Interrupting enemies or triggering enemies intentionally is an extremely important part of the game, but I had to make educated guesses on interactions until I had experimented and could properly identify how they worked
- The UI doesn't really explain what map icons are or why you would path toward specific rewards
- The way fights/enemies scale mean that you can't really expect to benefit from block/retaliation cards in the long run, and that family of cards end up effectively becoming dead draws by the end of the game.
- The game absolutely does not explain any of the force-draw mechanics it uses, so you won't know that you're guaranteed to draw movement every turn.
- The replay system when I played broke when taking certain actions related to returning cards to your hand, so I never got to see replays of later fights since I found those cards to be useful and strong
As for these (valid) complaints, I can say...
1) You can now mouse over enemies and get a full explanation of what they do and when.
2) That's still a thing, which means not only can you miss the action point upgrades, you can miss the opportunities for them. It's stupid.
3) Blocking and dodging and retaliating has kind of gotten buffed if you go all-in, thanks to better cards that have been added, but many of the basic ones are still dead draws by midgame, and even if they weren't, the strategy just does not operate the way the game wants you to play.
4) Not only do they explain it now, changing how it works is the key component of the difficulty level.
5) Replays are still a little wonky, especially when you move twice in one action, but they usually course correct pretty quickly, and they work preeetty well most of the time.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 18, 2022