Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Anyone keeping tabs on Cult of the Lamb coming out tomorrow? The combat was a little bit imprecise in the demo I tried, but the village building / art style looks really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it looks like a game that will be very popular, I'll buy and play for three hours

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RoboCicero posted:

Anyone keeping tabs on Cult of the Lamb coming out tomorrow? The combat was a little bit imprecise in the demo I tried, but the village building / art style looks really good.

I've been watching some streamers play it, and the focus seems to be a lot more on the base building/follower management than the combat excursions. Honestly put me off it, but if that's your thing it's probably fun.
Also seen some people have issue with the game being way too easy, even on hard.

Art is really neat though.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Potsticker posted:

I played it again a few months back and it is pretty full of micro transactions. If you're the type of person who is desensitized and can ignore the stuff you don't want to spend money on (extra treasure at the end of each quest! extra quests that give special themed items! extra cosmetic looks for your character/s!) then I think there's nothing that keeps it from being an interesting free game. In addition to piecemeal micro transactions it tries to sell you on a subscription fee as well, which really turned me off from spending money on it, but I did enjoy the gameplay well enough to put a little time into it and don't mind recommending people check it out if they're interested in the gameplay/aesthetic since I don't feel either of those are hobbled by the MTX.

Definitely desensitized due to various recent gaming trends. I just lost like ~4 hours to the first few areas and it's still pretty neat. That said, I assume you dont really notice at first, as per the cashgrab manual? The 6$ one-time "buy this so you're committed and might want to buy more" deal seems okay for all the time I spent with it previously.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Like the other poster said, it's in your face but not necessary at all to have fun with it. And you can purchase stuff you want like the additional quests in bundles that don't feel predatory or whatever. It's also a really fun coop game if you have some buds.

How does coop even work? Taking controll every other turn, or is there are separate campaign?

(While this is cleeaarly a roguelike, as it is both turnbased, has swords, no story, and seems p2w, I am sorry for the derail)

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Stirdog posted:

I see the desktop dungeons remaster differently. It's not for people who read this thread at all. We already own it or would buy the original based on word of mouth.

A steam release allows them to reset the clock and remarket their product. They needed to do something new to go along with that and... They really squeezed a lot of content out of their concept gameplay wise already. The graphics were just a way to justify a release and generate some hype.

drat good game, would recommend the current 2D version.

agreed, i might just buy the new version since i put so many hours into the old one, figure the devs deserve my support

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

valuum posted:

Definitely desensitized due to various recent gaming trends. I just lost like ~4 hours to the first few areas and it's still pretty neat. That said, I assume you dont really notice at first, as per the cashgrab manual? The 6$ one-time "buy this so you're committed and might want to buy more" deal seems okay for all the time I spent with it previously.

How does coop even work? Taking controll every other turn, or is there are separate campaign?

(While this is cleeaarly a roguelike, as it is both turnbased, has swords, no story, and seems p2w, I am sorry for the derail)

It's the same missions, each player just controls one character and you take turns acting. We're off topic but it's a really solid fun game even putting no money into it. You get enough cool treasures just playing it, in my experience.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

the holy poopacy posted:

Dungeon Robber, or were you thinking of a different one?

Exactly it! Still alive I see. Runs terribly but you can get the gist of it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
In the new Necrodancer DLC, has anyone managed to beat a run with Chaunter yet?

Extremely fun character, but really hard to get a grasp on.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
anyone else not having any steam achievements unlock in cult of the lamb

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Anyone have an idea of the depth of Cult of the Lamb? The aesthetic and concept are great, but with it containing both an action roguelite and a town management aspect I'm concerned that both aspects will feel shallow and half-baked.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I haven't gotten a chance to really dig into it, but it feels really easy to an almost offputting degree so far, and other people I've talked to seem to have similar experiences, this is on hard mode too.

Maybe the difficulty ramps up significantly in the later parts of the game but so far it's been snoozeville. Wouldn't be surprised if most of the work went into the cult management aspects or something and that's why.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Got it for the switch last night and it does seem on the easy side. I enjoy chilling from the couch so not really bothered by that, but I still dont know what happens if you die during a run.

Was surprised by the amount of cult management despite reading reviews. Someone in a comment coined the term roguelife, which seems surprisingly fitting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've been playing on very hard and it's a bit tricky sometimes due to you having very low hp(you start with just 1 heart container) but once you scrounge up some more hp it's largely easy again.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

Anyone have an idea of the depth of Cult of the Lamb? The aesthetic and concept are great, but with it containing both an action roguelite and a town management aspect I'm concerned that both aspects will feel shallow and half-baked.

I've played for like an hour and love it, except there's a bug where my rituals won't complete. Playing on PS5, but i've seen various folks say similar things on the pc version. I hope they get a patch out for this quick, because this game is super cute.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a work around?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to really dig into it, but it feels really easy to an almost offputting degree so far, and other people I've talked to seem to have similar experiences, this is on hard mode too.

Maybe the difficulty ramps up significantly in the later parts of the game but so far it's been snoozeville. Wouldn't be surprised if most of the work went into the cult management aspects or something and that's why.

It's def leaning more towards the casual side, but that's perfect for me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
In the style of the flaming lip's Waitin' For Superman: Waitin' For Big Bia

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Kanos posted:

Right now I feel like I'm spending more time doing management vs runs and the runs are pretty short (like 5-10 minutes). The management piece is fun mind you, just more of it then I expected.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Backpack Hero early access launch is in 2 days. Demo was really, really great and it seems like the current EA build is a massive expansion on it. Definitely will pick this one up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm also absolutely picking up Backpack Hero. They just keep adding content even to the demo.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

goferchan posted:

Backpack Hero early access launch is in 2 days. Demo was really, really great and it seems like the current EA build is a massive expansion on it. Definitely will pick this one up.

Oh drat, I played a bunch of the demo and enjoyed it a lot. I usually avoid EA games but this is pretty tempting.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The jester is a final boss (i assume these are the final bosses) than the Knight in Alina of the Arena. I really like how with the jester it becomes a game of actually managing its AoEs and shifting it around so it helps you keep down its own jack in the boxs to make things more manageable. I still haven't beaten either yet, I keep making stupid mistakes with card order but I totally had winnable builds... rip.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Broken Cog posted:

Also seen some people have issue with the game being way too easy, even on hard.

It feels like it's got a bit of the Nintendo thing going on where the main path is a cakewalk and the side content / optionals gets wild. I went back to the first area after clearing the boss once and the difficulty explicitly spiked.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cult is not a long term replayable roguelike, it's a 10-20 hour cult management sim with some light dungeon crawling

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

victrix posted:

Cult is not a long term replayable roguelike, it's a 10-20 hour cult management sim with some light dungeon crawling

This is all I needed to hear, thanks!

This month is pretty stacked for me games-wise, so I'll probably pick it up on sale at some point.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

From my early impressions, Cult of the Lamb reminds me most of (new) XCOM actually. Lots of time based unit management in the admin half with semi-random gameplay to facilitate it. And it has a definite end probably.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone else with a huge wood bottleneck in Cult of the Lamb? Need wood to make more sawmills to generate more wood but my sleeping quarters keep breaking which need wood and now my followers are sleep deprived ahhhhh

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

Anyone else with a huge wood bottleneck in Cult of the Lamb? Need wood to make more sawmills to generate more wood but my sleeping quarters keep breaking which need wood and now my followers are sleep deprived ahhhhh

Sleeping bags will do for emergencies and they only cost currency and grass

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you run out of wood that probably just means you need to run through a dungeon once or twice, prioritizing wood on the path. then you can build lumber mills and be set

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also wrt cult of the lamb: having played through on very hard, the most difficult boss by far was the 3rd one, in the ocean themed area.
way more ambiguous attack tells than the others, you have to respect the incense burner just because it will spawn rings of bullets right on top of you if you're too close, summons enemies that are more erratic than most.

the 4th area boss and final boss were both way easier in comparison. especially the final boss who is a total pushover.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Somfin posted:

Sleeping bags will do for emergencies and they only cost currency and grass

No they require wood, which maybe doesnt make a lot of sense

Anyway I might put off playing more until there's a patch because there's a nasty bug right now on PS5(maybe all consoles?) where only 6 or 7 followers will come to hear your sermons.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

No they require wood, which maybe doesnt make a lot of sense

Anyway I might put off playing more until there's a patch because there's a nasty bug right now on PS5(maybe all consoles?) where only 6 or 7 followers will come to hear your sermons.

drat, I didn't notice. One trick is to remember that trees (and other resources) at non-combat travel locations are totally choppable.

Yeah I got that too; I did notice that the remnants came in a little later and there was some poop at the entrance of the chapel, and I'm not sure those were unrelated

Also I've discovered that trees do respawn, which is nice, but they take a couple days and it's also possible to cut them down before they grow; it's possible that your loggers are overtaxing the natural regrowth

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

died to the final final boss on Warlord in Alina :negative:

it has one of those lazy rear end damage gates and that hosed me, it killed me the turn after I should have dealt lethal but no gently caress you damage cap

I think Alina bosses are still generally on the higher end of roguelite bosses in general, which are often a low point (or just outright awful depending)

if you're gonna make a run on the secret boss either bring a ton of block or a ton of mobility

I went the mobility route, it did an arena wide attack and I had a dud draw :shepface:

also minor mechanic spoiler it'll periodically summon bomb type units - the tooltip is a bit ambiguous but the way they work is they activate if they take damage or you move adjacent to them - they'll detonate the turn after, not that turn, so you have time to evade or block or kill, which wasn't clear to me and I played around them overly cautious early and that probably contributed to me losing due to dragging the fight out

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I honestly think the final bosses in Alina are just overtuned rn

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm loving the hell out of Cult of the Lamb. Played it for about 15 hours now combined, still haven't beat the second world.

Yeah the base building and follower care do take up significantly more time than the combat parts so far, but with certain rituals you can make your followers ignorable for a few in game days, and you can make your followers semi self sufficient too.

I wish the scope was more Hades like, but the devs have said a future update will tackle replayability, so that's something.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I honestly think the final bosses in Alina are just overtuned rn

I would mostly agree with this, I find most of my runs are a cakewalk all the way to the final boss regardless of build and then the final boss is an insane step up in challenge.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I know Hades is kind of a unicorn, but I keep comparing lamb to it very unfavorably. The fact that you can't choose your starting weapon compounded with the fact that only the sword is actually good is really killing vibes. Also some downright horseshit hitbox chicanery, but that's only obvious and grating with the risky increased damage shawl. It is breezy, though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

getting stuck with a bad weapon sucks and also maybe I'm just having too few followers but managing them feels REALLY easy - I don't know if I've ever had faith spend more than like 30 seconds below half and hunger is almost never an issue. if you didn't have to cook for them you could just ignore them

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
managing them is super easy and you get enough rituals once you get rolling to fix issues

the main issue is more the tedium of running up to everyone to bless if you want to do that micromanagement, or waiting for everyone to fill into the temple etc etc, lots of dead time that starts to add up.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I got the power that lets you teleport back home first, because as soon as I got glaive weapons I knew there would be some runs doomed from the start

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Surprised I haven't seen any mention of PlateUp! in this or any other threads I've checked. It's pretty much a roguelite Overcooked, but rather than fighting with a layout designed to dick you over like Overcooked you're designing the entire layout of your restaurant and picking upgrades from a handful of RNG blueprints between rounds. There's some really neat Factorio-esque automation possible too with stuff like conditional conveyor belts and auto-platers etc. My wife and I have already suck nearly 20h into it, it's incredibly addictive, and Im enjoying it more than Overcooked personally.

Only complaints I could see is that sometimes you get hosed over by the RNG, and it can be harsh to lose your restaurant after a single missed order, but that just rewards careful planning and optimization.

Stockwell fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stockwell posted:

Surprised I haven't seen any mention of PlateUp! in this or any other threads I've checked. It's pretty much a roguelite Overcooked, but rather than fighting with a layout designed to dick you over like Overcooked you're designing the entire layout of your restaurant and picking upgrades from a handful of RNG blueprints between rounds. There's some really neat Factorio-esque automation possible too with stuff like conditional conveyor belts and auto-platers etc. My wife and I have already suck nearly 20h into it, it's incredibly addictive, and Im enjoying it more than Overcooked personally.

Only complaints I could see is that sometimes you get hosed over by the RNG, and it can be harsh to lose your restaurant after a single missed order, but that just rewards careful planning and optimization.

Wow this sounds insanely up my alley. Never ever heard of it before, thank you!

And yeah the Alina bosses are tough but they're also very fun. I hope they can tune them downward a bit without throwing difficulty out the window, it's hard to make something actually feel like an "epic boss fight" in a turn based card game but they're really intense in a good way and I feel like every decision matters