Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I don't think I've ever seen glow-wights use offensive mutations like that, and anyway I'm fairly sure burning hands, while it rolls multiple dice, does not hit multiple times. Maybe he spawned with a flamethrower and obliterated you with it? Flamers are preposterously lethal in CoQ, and they function by shooting multiple "pellets" of fire in a beam-like shape, so that would explain getting hit a zillion times and killed instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Farquar posted:

He's doing everything possible to avoid adding any gameplay isn't he?

He's said the gameplay is so wrapped up in the worldbuilding he needs to have the latter complete first. In any case the worldbuilding is almost done so in like a year it'll be playable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

He's said the gameplay is so wrapped up in the worldbuilding he needs to have the latter complete first. In any case the worldbuilding is almost done so in like a year it'll be playable.

Whenever I work on procedural game stuff I find myself trying to convince myself of this lie. If he isn't working on at least basic gameplay mechanics by setting up a test arena to play around in, then he's doing this Wrong. Stuff like procedural quests or faction interaction etc. may require more worldbuilding to do "properly" but you still can and should be making mockups so you can test each component in as much isolation as possible.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

I don't think I've ever seen glow-wights use offensive mutations like that, and anyway I'm fairly sure burning hands, while it rolls multiple dice, does not hit multiple times. Maybe he spawned with a flamethrower and obliterated you with it? Flamers are preposterously lethal in CoQ, and they function by shooting multiple "pellets" of fire in a beam-like shape, so that would explain getting hit a zillion times and killed instantly.

Flamethrowers are basically ultra shotguns. They fire 9 streams in a tighter pattern and have more penetration than a loving phase cannon on top of the 4d20 heat per stream that hits.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TOOT BOOT posted:

Ayy; lmao.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

dis astranagant posted:

Flamethrowers are basically ultra shotguns. They fire 9 streams in a tighter pattern and have more penetration than a loving phase cannon on top of the 4d20 heat per stream that hits.

Ah, that must have been it, somehow ive played CoQ on and off for years but never messed with flamethrowers.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

Now I'm wondering if a stamina bar would an appropriate proxy-replacement for the food clock in DCSS, in addition to adding some depth to melee combat.

Not a chance. Every character - and especially a melee-focused character - has moments where they're fighting corridors packed absolutely full of enemies. Passing out over and over in the middle of trying to chew through them all would suck.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Stamina bars (and other complex resources) in general work perfectly well in roguelikes, though, you just have to design melee combat to be interesting and have a variety of options instead of being Crawl.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah. Tome has problems, but I love the varying types of resource bar the game has.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I like most things about Tome except playing it :v:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Eh, it's a long way away but he's done 95% of the worldbuilding stuff at this point. Whether or not the 'game' part will be worth the years long wait is a question a lot of people have asked, but he seems confident.

the glow
May 31, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Flamers are preposterously lethal in CoQ,

They could def do with being toned down a bit, they're the king of ranged weapons in Qud at the moment. Recently I tried doing an Agility/rifles-only build and after trying a couple of floors of Bethesda Susa with a scoped eigenrifle plus all the rifle talents and special fire abilities I gave up trying to make it work and went back to incinerating everything with Old Reliable because it was just vastly more effective.

Generally speaking the early-game of Qud for me involves doing the initial Joppa quests (Red Rock, Rust Wells, Grit Gate) and then just sort of hanging around until a flamethrower shows up somewhere, it's the one key item for me that serves as a bridge between early game and later content.

edit: here's some more minor Qud tile/faction issues from the Steam build I've been meaning to mention

Issachari raiders are now displayed as desert rifles:

All Cragmensch-type enemies are solid dark purple squares:

And I think there's another faction problem with Glow-wight cultists, I've seen them attacking each other in the Salt Flats?

the glow fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 7, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I wouldn't want them nerfed because right now they're the only weapon that can do reliable damage to those damned cragmensch. Your only other option against them is hoping the force of rockets/he grenades does the job, both of which are fairly heavy and annoying to mass.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Whenever I work on procedural game stuff I find myself trying to convince myself of this lie. If he isn't working on at least basic gameplay mechanics by setting up a test arena to play around in, then he's doing this Wrong. Stuff like procedural quests or faction interaction etc. may require more worldbuilding to do "properly" but you still can and should be making mockups so you can test each component in as much isolation as possible.

Keep in mind the dude has a PhD in Science & Technology Studies, pretty much the definition of "ideas guy." I'd bet the farm that he has significantly more fun making robust and accurate flag generators than anything like a game.

deptstoremook fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 7, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ultimate Gameplayless Globe

e: wait it's URR not UGG. Welp, I'm an idiot.

e2: Unfurnished Recursive Roguelike

Anyway I'm playing FTL again and not hating it this time around. Maybe the game is finally penetrating my skull. On easy, of course, only there's no subconscious sting in the back of my mind for doing so. It's just one of those games you have to grind to really learn, which still sucks, but there's still nothing like it out there.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 7, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Anyway I'm playing FTL again and not hating it this time around. Maybe the game is finally penetrating my skull. On easy, of course, only there's no subconscious sting in the back of my mind for doing so. It's just one of those games you have to grind to really learn, which still sucks, but there's still nothing like it out there.

I parsed Darkest Dungeon as an FTL analog with more grimdark

... but waiting on a lot more content to be nearly as engrossing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just got my first win on Risk of Rain as an enforcer. This game is seriously fun.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

I've been following URR for a year, and check every Saturday for his devlog updates. Nothing he has ever written about seems even the least bit fun to play, but the worldgen is pretty great.

Also he spends his free time trying to set world records on bullet hell games.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Just got my first win on Risk of Rain as an enforcer. This game is seriously fun.

Wait until you unlock some of the really zany classes, like Acrid, Mercenary, Loader, or Chef. It really is a great game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait until you unlock some of the really zany classes, like Acrid, Mercenary, Loader, or Chef. It really is a great game.

The Loader is funny because with the right item combinations you can become permanently invulnerable.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Loader is funny because with the right item combinations you can become permanently invulnerable.

Loader is also good because it is the only class that straight up punches everything to death, and because the tesla coils are amazingly strong and really fun to use. Also the grappling hook! There is really nothing about that class that isn't great.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

doctorfrog posted:

There really is no reason to play normal/hard on FTL if you don't feel up to the challenge. You can get everything on easy. The difficulties really are "default" "hard" and "a kick in the balls" despite the names.

Personally I generally play Normal when I do pick it up again, and never plan to touch Hard ever, simply because I got used to Normal and Easy is too easy. Despite saying that I've yet to actually beat the game with all, or even half of the ships (though I do have everything unlocked).

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Clever Spambot posted:

Ah, that must have been it, somehow ive played CoQ on and off for years but never messed with flamethrowers.

Boy are you missing out.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Angry Diplomat posted:

Super old gifs, but yes Mercenary is the best :)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I fired up CoQ last night and rolled an axecrab and it's going really well, but this has just underscored how completely useless the combat log in the sidebar is.

It seriously needs either:
- a "compact" mode, where perhaps it only shows # hits, damage, and perhaps the icons of the weapons that connected, in conjunction with the ability to make the log fill the entire sidebar (the keybinds imply that '*' should do this, but it doesn't), or
- just give up on it entirely and have a nethack-style --more-- prompt.

animatorZed posted:

Super old gifs, but yes Mercenary is the best :)

This is almost enough to make me want to play RoR again.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yes Merc is really loving fun

Acrid is still my favorite. I want more games like RoR.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Angry Diplomat posted:

I have unlocked a lot of them, but nothing so far compares to the unstoppable tank that is the enforcer. I really enjoy the slower paced playstyle of a defensive character, and the shotgun blast and shield smash are some of the most satisfying attacks in the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Every solo enforcer run I've ever done falls apart when missile champions get common. The shield is useless against them and you're usually behind on gear unless you're abusing artifacts.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Every solo enforcer run I've ever done falls apart when missile champions get common. The shield is useless against them and you're usually behind on gear unless you're abusing artifacts.

Only way I found to deal with them was to start backing up when they fire the missile as the targeting happens when it fires. Then your shield should cover it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there a specific way to get to the hive cluster that I don't know of? I've been trying for like an hour to get there but all I ever get is magma barracks for my fourth stage. I really want to get the command artifact so I can start breaking the game over my knee.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I really love how much leeway RoR gives you to completely break the game. It doesn't (for the most part) introduce any bullshit like damage caps or spawn caps.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Oookay

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Well eventually the game will drop you down a floor when the music runs out at least!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Straight into a boss chamber, probably. I ain't seeing stairs, which means they've probably not killed the sarcophagus on that level!

Also lol at deliberately using a broadsword

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Straight into a boss chamber, probably. I ain't seeing stairs, which means they've probably not killed the sarcophagus on that level!

Hey I'd rather have 2 dmg broadsword than the dagger. And I demolished that boss chamber :colbert:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Broadswords aren't bad weapons, and base 2 damage is a pretty decent perk. I mean, there are other weapons I'd rather have, sure, but I could do a lot worse than a titanium broadsword.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy poo poo the command artifact in RoR is crazy. I just steamrolled the game twice in a row after getting it. once with enforcer and once with the hilariously broken permanently invincible loader. What are some other crazy builds I can try?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Holy poo poo the command artifact in RoR is crazy. I just steamrolled the game twice in a row after getting it. once with enforcer and once with the hilariously broken permanently invincible loader. What are some other crazy builds I can try?

Turn on the artifact of glass as well (It makes you and enemies way squishier), and stack huge amounts of barbed wire and ceremonial daggers. Eventually enemies will die just from being on the same screen as you, and every time something dies it shoots out a bunch of homing projectiles that will probably oneshot another enemy.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Play a Commando, buy every drone, and stack soldier's syringes, missile launchers (both types), and Arms Race until the game is brought to its knees under the processing load of your thousands and thousands of missiles.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Turn on the artifact of glass as well (It makes you and enemies way squishier), and stack huge amounts of barbed wire and ceremonial daggers. Eventually enemies will die just from being on the same screen as you, and every time something dies it shoots out a bunch of homing projectiles that will probably oneshot another enemy.

Add that on-kill lightning shield item and the whirling ice shield to become a character who kills everything in the game by running directly into it.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
If you want to replicated the above gifs, play mercenary and grab alien head and some wicked rings. Proceed to mash the spin slash/double jump move.
Congratulations, you can now screw attack and pretend like you're mario stomping on a bunch of goombas. If you get a few +jump height items, you can also literally fly unassisted. Alternatively, ride a giant jellyfish to the stars.