Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah like, there's some distribution of gold you want the player to gain from any particular encounter, either you're intentionally calculating that and determining drops based on it (the thoughtful game designer approach), or you don't actually know or care (what everyone does). Either way, skip the middle man and drop the gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I suppose adding downtime where you have to go sell junk might be a somewhat legitimate design goal for an MMO to have.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

coq is gonna own. july 15th still the penciled date?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

victrix posted:

I had a lengthy and failed argument with the loot devs behind an mmo while it was in early development.

My argument was basically 'what's the point of all this vendor trash crap other than filling up your inventory'.

I never got a good answer. Some time later 'generic_vendor_trash_level_xx' showed up on the loot tables. Unfortunately not much of a joke either, the name was a hair off of that before it got its final polish pass.

At least I got them to add a 'sell all useless junk' button :unsmith:

My Fantasy Experience was certainly enhanced by looting crab asses to sell in yet another mmo, that's for sure. Wouldn't be realistic for them to drop coin you see.

(it's ok if they drop bastard swords, just not coins)

Generally it's to facilitate the desire to increase storage/make trips back to town to occassional break up the grinding. Probably some psychological foundation behind the process. I don't like it, however.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

If it is just about versimilitude, have them drop crab claws or whatever that (a) go in their own tab in inventory you can safely ignore, (b) have no mass or volume and (c) can be sold in bulk next time you're at a store.

I actually like little touches like that, especially when the items have descriptions, but not when it gets in the way of other inventory management.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

baram. posted:

coq is gonna own. july 15th still the penciled date?

Yep, for EA on Steam. Still in pencil, though, but we're hopeful.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I am so dang pumped for TowerClimb chapter 2. The first half is still one of the most atmospheric and lovely games I've ever played.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

hand of luke posted:

Yep, for EA on Steam. Still in pencil, though, but we're hopeful.

I feel that really nervous feeling, like we've gone out together a couple of times and really started to get to know each other. After a few drinks we're on my couch making out and I decide to go for it and rub your dick from over the top of your very fashionable jorts. I can tell you're really into it and you suggest we move to the bedroom. Things really start to heat up and in no time I'm bare rear end naked with my raging 2-incher ready to pop like a zit. You giggle and excuse yourself saying "Waaaaaaiiiiit, I have to go the bathroom." Now I'm sitting under the covers with a half-chub wondering if there will be awkward conversation when you finally come to back bed and if I'll be able to get it up again and if you really meant the weird stuff you said about "the blacks" that I let slide because you were cute.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wow

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mr. Belding posted:

I feel that really nervous feeling, like we've gone out together a couple of times and really started to get to know each other. After a few drinks we're on my couch making out and I decide to go for it and rub your dick from over the top of your very fashionable jorts. I can tell you're really into it and you suggest we move to the bedroom. Things really start to heat up and in no time I'm bare rear end naked with my raging 2-incher ready to pop like a zit. You giggle and excuse yourself saying "Waaaaaaiiiiit, I have to go the bathroom." Now I'm sitting under the covers with a half-chub wondering if there will be awkward conversation when you finally come to back bed and if I'll be able to get it up again and if you really meant the weird stuff you said about "the blacks" that I let slide because you were cute.

same

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there's your steam curator quote

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol

the glow
May 31, 2009
Hell its still a better post than the one from a page ago about a steampunk match 3 game

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Awesome! posted:

there's your steam curator quote

:hfive:

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

You're welcome, gimme a key. (or i'll make a dungeonmans named "handoflukeisadumbutt").

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Angband version 4.0.0 was just released! There are no gameplay changes*, but a lot of the code was rewritten so it should be easier to develop (or make variants) in the future.

*Not exacty. They renamed "squelch" to "ignore", which is obviously The Worst Change.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

lets hang out posted:

Can I request that the labels that show up when you hit the 1-4 keys stay on if you hold the button
Absolutely! That's in the list of near-term upcoming features, or at least something similar to it. The current two-second timeout was a temporary measure due to an engine limitation--Imma have to find a way to hack around that one so didn't get to it in time for Alpha 1.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I started playing UnReal World yesterday, its been a fun learning experience so far. I found a couple guides online that've been useful for getting started (combined with the ingame tutorial mode) but I've got one question.

Both guides I found reccomend building my homestead on a small island in a lake (preferably near rapids), why is that? I mean, I understand the reason for the rapids, they have awesome fish in them, but why the island? Is it for security from humans/predators? I'm currently camped out along a river with some rapids, so I've been debating just building a stead here, or following the wisdow of the guide (I know a few islands I can build on, but none near rapids).

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, that's basically it, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. Njerpez raiders almost never stumble onto your homestead and a good trap fence should keep most dangerous animals out. If you have a dog it should bark whenever an intruder is near, and can help to hold it off too. I recommend sleeping as close to the rapids as possible with a paddle in your hand and a raft just outside, so you can escape to the safety if the rapids at a moment's notice.

Also quick tip: a cabin built entirely out of doors still counts as a sealed structure.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I currently don't have poo poo in terms of decent axes to build a cabin. How viable is cave dwelling in Unreal World?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

UnReal World again. Any tips for trap fences with spike pits? I built a modest one (most of a screen length) and it didn't catch anything after about a month.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

I currently don't have poo poo in terms of decent axes to build a cabin. How viable is cave dwelling in Unreal World?

Not really recommended, caves tend to be in the mountains far away from water and surrounded by crappy rocky ground so you have to travel quite a distance for trees and growing stuff. They're also dark and if you're unlucky, you'll have to face off the angry inhabitant. Best bet is to stay in a shelter until you save up enough to get a proper axe.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

UnReal World again. Any tips for trap fences with spike pits? I built a modest one (most of a screen length) and it didn't catch anything after about a month.

Yeah, trap fence are a way longer-term investment than that. You can only really expect to catch stuff during the plentiful months when there's herds in the area. Doing the trap effectiveness ritual for each trap can boost their catch rate, and baiting them with meat/veggies can lure animals into them, although I don't know what exactly lures the elks and reindeer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I haven't even seen an elk/stag/reindeer in weeks. I barely see any animals on the overworld map, even when climbing up hills. :(

I mean, I got the fish from my nets in the rapids to feed me decently enough, but fish aren't gonna give me furs for wintertime.

[edit] Spotted a pack of reindeer, failed to kill one with javelins. Constructing a new fence trap in the area, hopefully it'll turn up something and hopefully I didn't scare them out the area.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 30, 2015

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Tollymain posted:

man i have not been able to wrap my head around the bloodmage in desktop dungeons at all :saddowns:

any advice?

Roonerspism posted:

Blud2power sux, use sanguine to beat the boss

The above advice works, but you should also try this to help you appreciate the blud2powar glyph:

Be a Halfling, prep flames, JJ (chaos god), fire heart, and smugglers den. Worship JJ straight off, and use the smugglers den to get enough mana to cast the teleport spell. Run around building piety until you get petition and two shots of boost health. At this point with a full health bar you should be able to kill at least a lvl 5 monster using fireballs, health potions, and the fire heart.

I have killed the animated armor boss of halls of steel (the easier version) as my first kill using this strategy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How likely is it that someone with no crafting skill whatsoever will be able to craft something useful outside of the very early game? Don't all of the non-scrub-tier craftables require several ranks in the relevant crafting skill?

I agree that "blueprint = reduced skill threshold" sounds like a nice idea, but I worry that it's too niche to be useful and will just end up cluttering the system.

That's a good point. Maybe just removing the blueprints entirely is the way to go. :(

Dirk the Average posted:

This is the problem. There are too many items, too many components, too many recipes, etc. Add that to the shop/lutefisk god, and the game just bogs down. Dredmor could really use some polish on that front; remove all of the unnecessary cruft from crafting and keep only simple and straightforward recipes with a minimum of ingredients. Yeah, it's a little more boring, but that's a small price to pay to make the game playable.

Honestly, Dredmor doesn't have that many items. I mean, it sounds like a lot; off the top of my head, you have armour, helms, boots, shields, amulets, rings, daggers, axes, swords, maces, crossbows, staves, crossbow bolts, and throwing weapons, x 10 different tiers of each, that's 140 items right there -- and that's a low estimate, since most item classes have at least one tier with multiple options in it. Add consumables (potions, wands, and mushrooms) and crafting items and there's even more.

But that's on par with, say, Nethack, and something like Diablo 2 has 3-4x as many items even before you start taking into account Uniques.

The problem is that (a) most of these items can be crafted, and the crafting UI and mechanics don't handle having that many recipes very well, and (b) most of these items are also inputs into crafting recipes.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of making Smithing, at least, a "game-changer" like Killer Vegan. Everything is crafting materials! Maybe even Zoo rewards are crafting materials. You have no equipment that you do not make yourself, but the flip side of that is that you can make what you need rather than being at the whim of the item generator. Still no idea what to do with Alchemy, though. Wandcrafting might be for the axe (does anyone actually use it?)

The Lutefisk God is definitely for the axe, I think.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

The Lutefisk God is definitely for the axe, I think.

The Lutefisk God is such a defining part of Dredmor's character that I think it'd be a bad idea to get rid of it. Maybe get rid of the shrines, though, in favor of the more typical omnipresent deity you can pray/sacrifice lutefisk to at any time.

Having the Lutefisk God and the Horadric Lutefisk Cube does imply that you need an auto-fisking toggle for items you don't want.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Lutefisk God is such a defining part of Dredmor's character that I think it'd be a bad idea to get rid of it. Maybe get rid of the shrines, though, in favor of the more typical omnipresent deity you can pray/sacrifice lutefisk to at any time.

Having the Lutefisk God and the Horadric Lutefisk Cube does imply that you need an auto-fisking toggle for items you don't want.

My main objection is that it's a part of Dredmor's character that has no presence in gameplay whatsoever. The shrines are rare, the UI for fisking is bad and you need so much lutefisk to get a reward that by the time you actually turn it in you already have something better from a zoo/shop/whatever. End result, no-one uses it.

Maybe the answer is to tie the Lutefisk Cube in with my ideas to change the Pocket Dimension? The dimension then becomes a boon granted to you by the God, and lutefisk is spent to either upgrade it permanently or, in emergencies, reduce the cooldown.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Pladdicus posted:

Occult Chronicles is amazing.

:agreed:

I wish there were more card based roguelikes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

My main objection is that it's a part of Dredmor's character that has no presence in gameplay whatsoever. The shrines are rare, the UI for fisking is bad and you need so much lutefisk to get a reward that by the time you actually turn it in you already have something better from a zoo/shop/whatever. End result, no-one uses it.

Right, so fix these problems rather than get rid of the concept. Dredmor without lutefisk would be like Dredmor without all the wine and cheese.

quote:

Maybe the answer is to tie the Lutefisk Cube in with my ideas to change the Pocket Dimension? The dimension then becomes a boon granted to you by the God, and lutefisk is spent to either upgrade it permanently or, in emergencies, reduce the cooldown.

This could work, sure. The Lutefisk God can transport you to the Dimension of Lutefisk, where you can rest from your battles and get various lutefisk-related buffs.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Geokinesis posted:

:agreed:

I wish there were more card based roguelikes.

Well everything by Cryptic Comet is card based and procedural. If they had enforced perma-death they'd be loose roguelikes. I mean if you like Occult Chronicles, you'll probably love Armageddon Empires (singleplayer only turn based strategy on random maps and it's Warhammer 40k Humans vs Cthulhu Aliens vs Terminator AI Overlords vs Fallout Mutants - in a card and dice based game).

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The only thing I dislike about the Cryptic Comet games is that they're made in Adobe Director, which isn't the most robust and sometimes craps out. As I understand it though, the dude has stopped making video games.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah to make Boardgames. It makes sense, since all his games simulate D6s and Card Decks. I'd love to buy a physical version of Armageddon Empires.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
If I could sit around a table with 3 friends and play solium infernum I would never do anything else

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Kyzrati posted:

There will eventually be five different endings of increasing difficulty, and right now the easiest route is already complete. "Easiest," but there are only 2 known wins on record, by players who've done nothing but play since release. There's a lot of content and lot to learn because you can't treat the gameplay like other roguelikes. Yesterday I met a veteran Nethack player who was telling me he couldn't get past the second floor of Cogmind

This actually convinced me to get in early. Thanks for the reply!

e: :stare: this game is insane (in the best way possible)

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 1, 2015

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

this is a message for you: i`m running a contest on the DC:SS forums for a steam copy of Vagante ending on July 7th. anyone like you or me can enter.

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16755

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hito posted:

If I could sit around a table with 3 friends and play solium infernum I would never do anything else

it's perfectly made for it

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Imagine trying to keep up your poker face for an entire game if you took Power Behind the Throne.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Happylisk posted:

This actually convinced me to get in early. Thanks for the reply!

e: :stare: this game is insane (in the best way possible)
Good to hear, and thank you! I aim to bring a little insanity into your lives. (Where "a little" eventually becomes "a lot" once the story parts get added :P. So excited to do that, and so not able to say anything about it :ssh:)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

parthenocarpy posted:

this is a message for you: i`m running a contest on the DC:SS forums for a steam copy of Vagante ending on July 7th. anyone like you or me can enter.

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16755
I actually just bought Vagante because I'm lazy.

It seems nice, but item spawn rates are way off right now. You basically get no scrolls besides teleportation, which isn't nearly as useful in this game as in DCSS-I'd like to see more remove curse and identify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

Imagine trying to keep up your poker face for an entire game if you took Power Behind the Throne.

The trash talk when you insult another player to get them to challenge you.